Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Greed

Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

Woody, reminds me of mandrake but with more oomph and more than just pencil shavings.Smells like money lol.

in Imp: Mmm...Patchouli. I can smell something else herby under there, but it's mostly Patchouli.

Wet on skin: This is going to sound like the most rediculous thing I've ever said on BPAL but...I SMELL LIKE CHICKEN. delicious, highly herbed, home-rotisseried chicken. I WANT TO EAT MY ARM, is how good of a chicken this smells.

Dry on skin: The herbalness lightens, but the chicken is still there...and delicious.

I dunno if I like it enough to buy a full bottle, but I'll definately use up the imp.

I sniffed this without knowing what the notes were and said "Ugh, vetiver, no no no". So now I'm quite stunned to read that there is NO vetiver here. It must be the oakmoss that's giving it that rotting vegetation thing. Whatever it is it didn't work at all for me.

imp: very deep, very strong earthly patchouli.

wet: very woody, earthy patchouli. i'm not getting any oakmoss or heliotrope but there is a faint hint of copal. mostly, though, it's all rich patchouli.

dry: the patchouli is staying very strong but i'm finally catching hints of moss along with the copal. still no sign of the heliotrope though.

Initial Impression: mossy, patchouli

On Wet: soft patchouli (not amping at all-- nice!) and a creamy undertone that I assume is copal?

On Dry: there's this beautiful earthy grittiness reminiscent of vetiver that the patchouli is playing off of nicely

Final Impression: this is glorious stuff. All hail greed!

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 4

waaaait a second. there's patchouli in greed, and yet- it DOESN'T make me smell like a dirty hobo. WHAT?

i know copal is a resin, and i think i can pick it out in this blend. the patchouli is there, oh yes it is, but it is tempered by the sweet, sunny heliotrope and the woody oakmoss. and- wow! i smell good!

this was extremely masculine smelling on me as well.

i'm going to set it aside and have my husband try it and see if he likes it.

i didn't get any patchouli scent, which disappointed me, 'cause i'm a patchouli lover.

i'm getting mostly oakmoss and copal...which isn't bad...it's a nice smell.

i just smell liek i'm wearing cologne or have been snuggled under a guy's bedsheets all night (which again, isn't a bad thing!)

I got this as a frimp almost a year ago. I gave it unsniffed to my husband. It sat on his dresser, I think mostly untouched. He didn't like the name of it, and so didn't want to wear it.

I took it back this morning. Oh, Greed, where have you been all my life? I love patchouli scents, and as other reviewers have noted, this has something in it that cuts the "earthy" with a touch of "sweet."

It makes me think of Greed in a more primal way, like scrabbling ore out of the earth with bare hands, ripping aside moss and plants. Or a wad of damp cash, washed up on the shore of a stream.

I only wish it had more throw. My skin seems to drink it up.

My second round of imps. This is the last imp that I have left to test. I open the bottle and smell a masculine scent, reminisent of my dad's aftershave collection - a good thing! I dab it on my wrist and am again smelling that greeny peas fresh from the pod smell! I had this with Saturnalia and Delight (I think), this must be common with greeny smells. As it's drying it is softening and turning powdery, is this going to be like Saturnalia and make me love it more as it dries? I can't describe this scent, it reminds me of Delight (possibly because that is also on my arm!), in which case the smell isn't as strong as I thought it was going to be. This isn't a strong scent at all, I have to press my nose on my wrist to get anything, such a shame because I think it smells of a wet woodland but with a spicy hint to it. Perhaps one best given to the OH.

:P OK, what wasn't clear from the scent description is that this smells like MONEY. Not exactly new bills, but like dark worn leather bags of gold coins that have been buried in a pirate's treasure chest for a season or two on some remote island. Very funky.

But the important thing is that it's really wearable, IMO. It's smooth and earthy and very comforting. Wonderful for patchouli and oakmoss fans.

Patchouli and Oakmoss! Yes, please!

In the vial: sweetly woodsy

Wet on skin: the scent of old law books, which is a good thing IMHO.

Dry: Delicious and elegant dude-fume. A bit too masculine pour moi, but I'm sure this scent would be amazingly delicous on a man. It is sophisticated enough to wear out, but subtle enough for every day wear.

I tried this imp almost a year ago, and disliked it so much that I immediately decided to pass it off to a male friend.

I tried it again on a whim last month, via the age old method of closing my eyes and picking a random imp out of my imp bag. I wasn't pleased about putting this one on again (hadn't I given it away?), but I had picked it out of the bag, so I cautiously dabbed a little on my wrist.

Wow. Maybe my nose was on backwards last year, or maybe the patchouli just needed to age. Greed is a dark, rich patchouli, and the copal blends with it beautifully. I'll confess I don't get much oakmoss or heliotrope, but that's okay with me. I used this religiously throughout February, and will be mighty sad when the imp runs out.

Edited by Caspian Gray

the only note that i am really sure i know the scent of is patchouli and we are arch enemies.

wet, i know i can sense the patchouli, especially the inital part of its scent, but its familiar terrible green herby-aftersmell is not there. instead there is a deep, dark rich earthiness, what i imagine the copal and oakmoss would add.

dry, um, it smells like taco meat. really, the spiciness of school lunch taco meat. yikes.

In the imp: Sweet, sharp, with glittering bright notes over a dark depth. Incency, but also bright and spicy.

On my skin: Patchouli! Overwhelmingly patchouli, wiping out every other note. Medium to high throw, which is hard to produce on my skin. And very very PATCHOULI!

Conclusions: Oh so dissapointed :P Who knew I'd amp patchouli?

in the imp: heavy oakmoss, moderately heavy- and woodsie-patchouli.

wet on skin: wow. it's like an earthen forest on my skin. sweet, dirt-ridden, woods-like

dry down: very much like being in a dry wood on a warm, sunny day.

in all: if you like Death of Autumn, give this a try as a GC alternative.

Wow, too masculine even for me, and I looooove masculine-smelling scents. I betcha this would smell great on a guy.

pencil shavings, pencil rubber...all that's missing is graphite dust, and this could be "first day of school". Sigh. I smell a little patchouli...maybe this is "hippie school".

This is very deep and woody. I'm not getting any "golden notes", but I'm okay with that. Greed reminds me a great deal of Dance of Death, except lighter. While I like this scent, it's not very dynamic, and I don't think I would wear it very often on my person. However, I think it would make an awesome room scent, so I'm going to experiment with it.

3/5

In the bottle: Light honey colour. Holy patchouli! Very earthy, this is the dirty hippy sort of patchouli. Smoky, resiny copal right behind, and only a light hint of oakmoss.

Wet: Still very soil-like, but a bit less overwhelmingly so. The copal amps up to vie with the patchouli. Oakmoss a wee bit more present; still no heliotrope. A strong, grounded, masculine scent.

Dry: Copal takes over, almost. It's smoky, resiny incense over rooty-soily pathcouli. I have lost all hope that heliotrope will emerge. The oakmoss holds in the distance as a mossy, brighter note.

Later: Oakmoss emerges more, and a tiny whisp of sweet heliotrope too, finally! Copal still dominates, but has now settled into a truce with the less rooty, soilike, more sexy-earthy patchouli.

Summary: Very smoky, somewhat resiny and dark, dirty patchouli with soft, sexy oakmoss and a glimmer of sweet heliotrope. A very grounded and incensey blend on the whole, definitely masculine. Great throw and good lasting power.

Not my style, but I'd probably like it on a man, or as incense.

This will be my first review here, but very appropriately it's for the first imp I ever received (about a year ago).

First off, I'm a patchouli lover, no bones about it, and that is the number one thing that attracted me to this scent. I'm not very good at picking out unfamiliar notes like copal or heliotrope, but whatever it is, it warms and sweetens the sharp dirt-bite of the patchouli.

After a short while on my skin, a sharp metallic zing begins to work under the primary olfactory influences. At first I would think it might be assimilating some of the copper scent from my bracelets, but it was in a place AWAY from them when I first tried GREED.

The only downside to this is that depending on the time of the month, and my mood, this can ramp REALLY SWEET on me (as with many of the oils I've tried).

Overall, after an hour, the scent turns almost sandalwood powdery (also a bit dusty paper), but its still extremely pleasant.

Plus: This scent only deepens in richness with age, long lasting.

Frimp!

...way too woodsy for my tastes. The oakmoss seems to be the dominant note on my skin, because all I can smell is a plank of wood. Sorta like whiskey, in that regard. It's not unpleasant, just not at all my thing.

(edit because woodsy is not earthy!)

Edited by marared

In the bottle: mostly earthy patchouli.

Wet on skin: base and earthy. I don't get the glittering golden notes at all.

Dry on skin: ah - there's the heliotrope! It's warmer and sweeter now, a deep russet brown in colour, soft and spicy. Not quite me, but yummy! The patchouli is fully balanced out by the other notes. It certainly doesn't smell like a deadly sin!

I love to randomly sniff this one in the imp unfortunately it goes weird on me ( I amp up patchouli like nobody's business). I will definitely keep this one around for sniffing purposes.

This is so cool! It's stable and grounding, yet has a sharpness and an almost bright-green quality to it. Green and brown. The patchouli and oakmoss dominate, and the heliotrope adds just a subtle floral nuance.