Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

Wet: Smoke, leather, amber, spice.

Drydown: Smoky and leathery and musky with a strong sweet note that's a lot like Tombstone's vanilla-balsam. It's kind of disappointing...

Dry: ...but it dries down to something different and interesting. This settles into a nose-pleasing complexity on my skin.

The vanilla is present and seems fresher in this mix than in some other blends. The musk base note is subtle and solid. It's a very dark, smoky scent, cut with a hint of amber and a slight blunt sweetness from the vanilla and fruits. It's particularly appealing when you take a deep whiff and get the full strength of the subtler, brighter notes-- like snake scales glinting in the dark.

In the Bottle: Snake Oil and incense with a touch of vanilla and possibly black coconut :D

Wet: All I can smell is Snake Oil at this stage with a touch of something incensey

Drydown: I absolutely adore this scent; but, alas it is another headache inducing scent for me :D The Snake Oil is still predominant on me; but, I get a wiff of vanilla and just a touch of coconut. I absolutely love this scent!!! :P

On a scale from one to five I give this one a five. I just wish I could wear it without getting a headache :D

No no no. Damn it!! :P

I was really excited about Snake Charmer, but didn't know to be worried until I got my sample of Snake Oil and HATED it. Yuck!! So... Snake Charmer is indeed very much like a slightly altered version of Snake Oil. Both make me smell geriatric and fully powdered. Maybe spicy baby powder on old lady. Ick ick ick! So completely not for me. :D I am becoming really hesitant to sample to very popular fragrances, as it seems they don't work on my wonky chemistry! I would love to swap this for a different LE.

No, my CN order hasn't come in yet, but a lovely forumite just sent me an imp of Snake Charmer, so I get to try this one in advance.

In the imp, it smells about like I expected -- spicy vanilla incense. Kind of what I expected Snake Oil to be, before it turned into horrible drugstore perfume on my skin. Snake Charmer doesn’t do that, but it does do some other weird stuff, unfortunately.

The tiny element of coconut thankfully faded pretty quickly once I had it on, but what happened then was that an unexpected sharpness rose up that I hadn't smelled in the vial. It actually smells really citrussy to me -- like there was a big dose of lemon in here or something. Did anyone else get that at all? Maybe my skin is just weird. I can still smell the amber/vanilla and incense notes in the background, but for me this scent is dominated by a sharp/sweet citrussy note that smells like lemon drops, or candied fruit of some kind. Don't know if that's the plum or what, but I wouldn't have through plum would smell that sharp.

Now it's drying down further and the lemon edge is fading a bit, but also starting to smell a little... synthetic, for lack of a better word. There's starting to be that Play-Doh element to it that you get in some bad vanilla perfumes. Oh dear. Not a happy-making development. Snake Oil did that too, once it got past the sweet-enough-to-kill-you stage. And there's also a touch of something that smells like burning plastic.

It's so weird. There is nothing on the list of ingredients apart from the coconut that does not sound good to me. I was certain I would love it. But Snake Charmer is not charming me. There are notes in here that I do like, but they're being pushed into the background by the ones I don't.

Grade: C

ETA (Nov 24/05): My CN order finally showed up, and I tried Snake Charmer again, from the new bottle this time. And it's actually working out much better. I don't know if the imp I had before was just a little off, or what, but I'm not getting that sharp acidic edge this time, or at least not nearly to the same extent. There's a touch of tartness, but overall it's more of a warm vanilla/amber/musk type of scent, with a hint of spice -- more what I originally expected, in other words.

And now, several hours later, I can confirm that it stayed nice all the way through. It's got pretty good staying power, too -- still there after around 6-7 hours. I’d still have to say I don’t like it as much as I originally thought I would -- it's pretty vanilla-dominated, with not as much of the other notes as I’d have liked -- but it is nice, and I'm not parting with my bottle! Still no idea why the original imp and the bottle turn out so differently on me, though. In the imp/bottle, they smell identical -- it's only on my skin that they change.

Revised Grade: B+

Edited by Miss Lynx

I had high hopes - but just as Snake Oil went funky, so did Snake Charmer.

First, it was all lovely, boozy vanilla. Mmm-Mmm. A vanilla blend I could love.

And then, Play-Doh. Why do we get Play-Doh?

After a bit, that icky note goes away, but so does the fun booziness. It turned into a sort of "meh" blend.

I'm still waiting for a good vanilla BPAL. After much hunting, I found a rose, so I'm sure there's something that will work.

I /should/ have loved this. All the notes are wonderful, spicy and heady and just a bit of fruit for sweetness. In the bottle, it was just like I imagined.

On my skin? .....URGH.

I have no idea what exactly is in this that decided to abuse my body chemistry, and while this smells much like something I've smelled before, I can't place it. It does, however, turn into Assault with a Deadly Odor, and what's more, it sticks around. And around, and around, and....JEEBUS, it has a lot of throw. It's sort of like musk and hot plastic and something else, but anyway... I know that isn't too much of a 'review', but all I can say is, it went Totally Funktastic on me, and I had to swap it.

Wet on my skin, there's an initial harsh edge, but of the sort that usually fades fairly quickly. Some smokiness, a bit of vanilla.

Drying: Smokey and spicey, with just a suggestion of plum.

Dry: Continues to get deeper and more complex. I like this quite a bit, though not as much as I like Snake Oil, because there's less vanilla in this one and I'd like it to be that little bit sweeter. But it is very interesting, a dark rich intriguing blend. Also, it'll probably improve with age.

Bottle (Imp): Mmm, yummy.

Just On: A little sweet, and exotically spicy.

An hour or two later: I'm really liking this one. It's got amber, I think, and vanilla, and some kind of dark red or purple fruit.

Around 6 hours: Hmmm, I dunno what is spicing this up, but I really like it. Snake Oil's cousin? Maybe, but it seems to be working better on me than Snake Oil does.

12 hours: Ohhh, all that's left is amber and some kind of soft sweet, and this is a loverly scent.

Overall: I really like this one too. There are 4 or 5 that just jump out at me in the CN set, and this is one of them. And it lasts much better than most scents do on me.

After reading other reviews: Well, I sorta had this one nailed down pretty well. A lot of times I can't tell what exactly is in a blend, but this time I really did find a lot. And once again, I'm glad I waited on my reviews, or I might have thought I lost whatever little bit I gained in figuring out scents.

OMFGBBQ!!!!

This is what I expected Snake Oil to smell like in the past.

This is rich and sexy, and I absolutely freaking LOVE IT! I love how sweet, yet sophisticated it smells. Very original, and I can already hear the compliments I am going to get when I wear it tomorrow to work!!! I'm so glad I was able to swap to get this one!

There is something in Snake Oil that goes very harsh and chemical on me. It sits on top of the vanilla and I just don't like it.

Snake Charmer is like Snake Oil without that harsh edge. The vanilla and benzoin blend well together and this is a vanilla scent I can actually wear.

Snake Charmer :D

This is such a sexy scent. I love the vanilla note, it's not foody at all like some vanilla blends. It's spicey, sensual and seductive.

My boyfriend got a hardon after smelling my wrist... "snake" charmer indeed :P

First sniff: Warm, sinuous, slinky coconut. It is reminiscent of Snake Oil, but it’s a little less in-your-face. (And I do like Snake Oil, but it can be a bit aggressive. :P)

Wearing: Coconut is definitely dominant, but there’s a lot more going on underneath. It’s musky, it’s spicy, it’s oh so sexy.

Snake Charmer - Oh how I love you!

This makes me feel sexy when I wear it. It lasts a long time and I find myself smelling myself constantly when I wear it. I have gotten GOBS of compliments when I have worn it especially from other women.

In terms of how it smells....exotic, Middle Easterny, bellydancer, amber, vanilla in a sexy way, lightly sweet, musky, delicious.

I must get my hands on more....... :P

Dark musk, sweet plum, and a hint of vanilla (from the benzoin). Snake Charmer is certainly sexy, but in an earthy, guileless kind of way—I don’t feel like it would be too heavy for day, but it’s still an excellent scent for a night out. I can see the comparisons with Snake Oil, but Snake Oil didn’t wow me in the way that Snake Charmer does.

I get all kinds of compliments when I wear this one, and I love it madly :P .It’ll be a very sad day when I use all mine up!

Give it a try if you can! And if anyone has extra bottles to sell... you know where to find me :D

Wet this is sweet, warm, exotic. I smell a mixture of vanilla, amber and musk. When first on this is faintly warm and sensual. After a few minutes the coconut comes out. There's also a resinous element to the blend and the plum is coming out now too. This is a gorgeous blend!! It is complex and sensual and is another one of my favorites from the series- thank you Beth!! :P

This is lovely and sexy. It is a deep dark burned vanilla. caramelized sugar.

it is almost too heavy though. too deep and not feminine enough? it smells sexily unclean.

I do like it but I don't think I will wear it often, unless I want to get frisky.

way too masculine. for some reason.

This is the scantily-clad dancer, wrapped in a huge python. Sex and power combined.

The amber and vanilla are strong on me. The black plum remains constant, but the other notes undulate throughout, like light glinting off of scales.

Snake Oil was a tragedy for me--the spice and vanilla were too strong and it turned to cheap aftershave :D

My imp of Snake Charmer is everything I'd hoped Snake Oil would be. It's simply the perfect blend of amber, vanilla and spice with just a hint of fruity plum (good thing, 'cause too much of that would have ruined it for me as well). It's sensual, earthy, sweet, super-sexy...

And discontinued.

Bugger.

:P

ETA: ...but I just scored a bottle off the swap forum! :D I love this place!

Edited by Inanna9

Whoah. I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. A few weeks ago I got an imp of Snake Charmer from my friend. Initially I thought it smelled nice but it didn't grab me. I set down the vial. Later in the afternoon I sauntered past it and decided to put some on. It was amazing! I was euphoric!

In the vial, I smell warmth and spiciness, but it's hard for me to detect the different notes. It almost reminded me of Blood Moon but with more sweetness (the vanilla?)

Drying, I get more of the layers. It's like sexy red mists, warm golden amber, sweet vanilla, and plum all swirling together. It's very "heady" without being too much. It's very lusty. It reminds me of O and Snake Oil, but it is far far better! Snake Charmer is sensual, earthy, and gorgeous.

The scent stays beautiful on my skin and doesn't change much after the initial drydown.

I give this a 5 out of 5 stars, and I shall horde any of it that I can get my hands on! :P

Dear Snake Charmer,

You are my beloved. You make me smell divine, and I always get compliments on you, more than any other except maybe Panties. When I've had a bad day, you and no other are the one I run to. I may be often unfaithful, but you're the One True Love- if I had to give up all but one, it would be you.

Your divine vanillaroma is seductive, and the spices and musk which swirl around that sweet vanilla core are heady and wonderful, evoking exotic places and beautiful women. You make me want to take up bellydancing!

Your coconut and plum are pleasantly understated, adding their loveliness to the whole but not overwhelming me, or misbehaving. There's a hint of smokiness too, that steals out and teases my nose from afar especially.

I love how long you last on me... hours, and hours, and hours. You are indeed similar to the classic Snake Oil, as many have said, but I find you much more wearable, and I'd leave that oily bitch for you any day.

Love,

Me

Thank you, Beth, for bringing Snake Charmer back. Truly it is my favorite out of the ... at least 150, if not more, blends I've tried. It is my signature scent, and I damn well took good advantage of being able to lab-order this again. Like 8 bottles worth of advantage. Because I could. Because I want a lifetime supply, for real. Because I don't want to have to pay $30 a bottle on eBay for it ever again.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

i nabbed a bottle while carnivale noir was still up, not really thinking about it, really. just gave it a try and to me, it was smelled very similar to snake oil--only better. it didn't have the ever so slightly "medicinal" note that snake oil has. i loved it.

but i haven't worn it for a couple months because i've been dabbling in the samhain/yule scents and because i wanted to see how well it aged. well:

i had to work on my car this afternoon and fresh out of the shower i took to get rid of the grimey gook of wrestling with my engine, i put on snake charmer. delicious. it ages freaking beautifully. much like snake oil, it deepens and becomes richer with age. this is a truly spectacular blend and it becomes even more stellar with age. purely beeeeeyoootiful. i am happy i am a hoarder, my friends.

and what's even more amazing is that i had to go back to my car and work on it a little more a couple hours after i put on snake charmer. i've been spraying carb cleaner, getting carbon all over my hands, grease and oil. i just washed my hands when i finished and i can *still* smell my lovely snake charmer on my wrists. delish.

--scg

at first: lots of musk, sweet notes, and spices. lovely.

on: very sweet and sensual.

half an hour later: buttery and sweet. i don't think black coconut gets along with my skin.

1.5 hours later: musk, vanilla, and coconut. very pretty and soft.

2 hours later: very soft. mostly vanilla.

overall: this is a very interesting scent, but not for me. i dodn't think coocnut scents work very well on me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Snake Charmer :P

I recieved an empty bottle of this as an extra in a swap from Cranberry. I was able to wipe enough oil out of it to wear it a few times, and each time I wore it, I became more in love. I have managed to swap for a 2/3rds full bottle from the delightful Blu and I am SOOO glad.

So getting down to it, I really can't smell the individual notes in Snake Charmer. I know there must be amber and musk as both notes are well rounded on me and give the Snake Charmer a full body. These two mix so well with the spices, that there is just no way for me to tell which spices they are, just that they are there. The vanilla isn't too vanilla-y as I often don't get on so well with it. Its just there enough to sweeten the blend.

The plum, which meant that I would never have considered this oil (and how wrong I would have been!) just doesn't make an overt appearence - it possibly lightens the blend making it brighter than it otherwise would have been.

The throw is brilliant. I have put SC on my wrists and can smell wafts of it whilst typing! It lasts six or 7 hours on me before I need to reapply. And I only need to apply a drop, which is a good thing or I would be soon be staring at despair in an empty bottle :D

Wow. I have been trying lots of other oils recently, but coming back to Snake Charmer is like coming home, it feels right and comfortable on my skin, like it was meant to be there. I love it SOOOO much and I really hope that Beth will re-release this one or I will be most upset when I finish my existing bottle!

B

In the vial: Very complex. I can't detect one single note.

Wet: Ditto. It reminds me vaguely of Blood Moon (after a significant drydown period), warm and spicy.

Drydown: A slight aldehydic note is rising to the surface, one that grows stronger with the passing minutes. I'm wondering if this was one that was mislabeled, and it's really House of Mirrors.

Dry: No, this is definitely Snake Charmer. I can smell the vanilla coming out now. But that memory of Blood Moon remains. I have to say, as much as I disliked Snake Oil, I wasn't expecting much of this scent, but it's a lot more sophisticated than Snake Oil, I think due to the amber, plum, labdanum and ambrette. Not a great deal of throw, though.

Later: After five hours, it's almost gone, only the lingering powdery ginger smell to remind me of its presence. Nice, but I wouldn't spring for a bottle.

Purchased off the alchemylab LJ in a fit of impulse buying. :P to whoever I bought from (I confess I don't remember!) I'm very pleased, though, to be able to try the infamous Snake Charmer. Here's hoping it works its fabulous mojo on me.

In the Imp: Hmm, smells like Snake Oil! That same sweet powder. My nose is a little more sophisticated now (as opposed to my first run in with Snake Oil, when I was but a newb), and I think I can detect patchouli, amber, and a slinky, delicious musk, as well as the sweet note floating around the edges that I just know will blossom in to vanilla. This is quite similar to SO, but.... different, somehow, too. A little lighter, a little less sharp, a little more woody.

Wet: It's thinner in consistency and lighter in colour than SO, too.... the first thing I get as I dab some on my wrists is a burst of dry coconut. Very natural and yummy smelling, not at all sunblock-esque. The vanilla is lurking behind that, and I can smell all the base components of Snake Oil on the bottom.... musk and spice and patchouli and tobacco and incense. There's almost a floral element here somewhere, too, I'm not sure where that's coming from. It could be the amberette-- amberette seed is supposed to have a "floral-musky" aroma. I'm going to assume it's the labdanum and benzoin that are adding that scrumptious "base" sweetness, and, of course, the amber is there too, grounding everything out. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm getting a very slight touch of alcohol in here, too. It might be the plum; plum has the tendency to turn into plum wine on me.

This is really wonderful, warm and yummy and slyly sexy without being overtly, balls-out "Take me now!" like O. I can definitely see serpentine association... this does smell like something a belly dancer with a snake in her hands would wear. It's not as unabashedly incensey as Snake Oil, either, much more sugary and a bit less bold-- Snake Oil's daughter, perhaps.

Dry: A swirling haze of rich browns, golds and purples. The scent stays true from wet, but everything settles down and blends into one indistinguishable mass of :D The coconut takes a backseat to the vanilla, and the throw is very faintly spicy-musky-sweet. This is ever-so lovely, and I'm beyond pleased I got to try it. I'm not indescribably in love with it, as I was with Dorian and O (thank God, since they're GC and the Charmer is impossible to find!), but it's rich and heady and sultry and I will simply adore being able to whip out my Imp for special occasions.

[edit] To add the official description. :D

Edited by Shollin