Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

I bought Snake Charmer hoping it would be something like Snake Oil but without the baby powder and playdough dry stage on me.

Score!! :D

I'm can't really pick out all the seperate notes. My nose just isn't that good. But I do smell the vanilla and spices with what I think is the Arabian Musk. If it is, then I have to find more scents with that musk in them. Later I get some Amber but for some reason the playdough note (which I always blame on Amber) isn't hardly there at all. Maybe because it's a different Amber. The drydown is lovely and musky, not at all like baby powder. This is a sultry, warm, luxurious vanilla that I can actually wear. :P

MMMM....

At first application it smelled all sugary vanilla. It was strong too, if I moved my arm around me the smell wafted heavily in the air.

An hour later....

Ok when did the medicinal smell kick in? I began to wonder if I accidentally got some Freak show on my wrist when I was testing that on another part of my body. Maybe the two dont mix well?

So I scrubbed my arm and reapplied snake charmer. And I got the same medicinal smell! But I was not giving up. I left that thing on for another hour and finally here comes the vanilla again and...is that cinammon?

I love the beginning, I love the end but the middle left much to be desired. I ended up scrubbing it off and wearing Dragon Moon out today. Ill have to try it again tomorrow, because I loved the end phase but the middle...bleh.

Snake Charmer - This is a really nice scent. The first time I tried it was "that time of the month" and my body fully rejected it. It was simply rank on me. So I set it aside and tried it on two separate occasions when it wasn't "that time of the month" and my body chemistry actually took to it. I think Snake Charmer is the perfect name for it, as it brings to mind all sorts of images in my head of Morocco in it's earthy spicyness and exotic combination of scents. It's a dark and earthy scent that is smoothed out by the sweetness of the vanilla and fruitiness of black plum. It's not the type of oil I would wear a lot (I prefer lighter scents), but it's nice and something I wouldn't mind wearing on occasion. However, my sister absolutely adores it and went so crazy over the imp I gave her that I tracked down and bought her a full bottle for Christmas last year. When Beth re-released it in April, I picked up a bottle at Convergence. I haven't opened it. I'm letting it sit and age and I'm hoping by the end of the year it will be gorgeous beyond belief.

First thought: If Smut and Snake Oil ever got it on, Snake Charmer would be the resulting love-child.

My skin, being wonky like it is, amps the amber, vanilla and musk, meaning that while this lasts for a good 8-10 hours, the plum and coconut and (eventually) spice all fade out fairly early on. But that's ok. This is spicier than Smut and more musky than Snake Oil--I love them both, but this is perfection. Sexy as hell. So glad I snapped up 2 bottles during the CN resurrection!

bottle:

amber/vanilla and a little spice

wet:

incense and amber, a little musky, but a scent with lots of layers and depth

dry:

I like - not too musky, very incensey, and I love amber of course!

overall:

I like it, and I bet it will get even better with age!

rating: 8/10

(Original '05 version) I hear this is the bastard child of O and Snake Oil. Yuuuum. Let's try it out!

In the vial - Spiced amber with something incense. No vanilla yet, though.

Wet - A deeper, darker version of Snake Oil. Like it's goth older brother.

Drying - I'm getting more O out of this now, with a heavy incense note hanging out. It isn't nearly as sweet as I thought it would be, No vanilla at all to my nose.

Dry (45 minutes) - I have to admit, I can't the difference between this and O at this stage. Well, maybe I can sense a slight incense in the very background, but other than that, it's a spiced, non-sweet amber, just like O on me.

Overall - I like it, I really do, but it just turns into O after awhile, so it's really not worth keeping the both of them.

In the bottle: Amber, vanilla, a smidge of plum....this is dark, and sexy - but that vanilla adds a little bit of sweetness to it...wow..just..wow!

Wet on skin: Woah..dark brown! The vanilla is being smothered by delicious spices...musks...and the coconut is starting to make itself known...wow..this scent evolves every second as it starts to dry down. Something kind of smokey actually comes out just a LITTLE - but the sweeter notes keep it in check...

Dry on skin: When this dried down...it was complex, very sexual and very sensual..it's not too sweet, not too musky...it's amazing..All the scents that are listed in this blend come out for a tease..then draw back. It makes me want to do my hair, put on some sexy clothes, do hot make up - and strut through a club...

Yes - it's THAT good.

Edited by BrightRedScream

In the bottle: This makes me think of a mix between Snake Oil and O.

On me: Definitely a Snake Oil/O mix. I simply love this scent! It is extremely well blended - it's hard to make out many of the individual notes on me, aside from the vanilla, spices, amber, and what I think must be benzoin. Something in this cuts the sweetness of the vanilla and makes it a lot less overpowering than Snake Oil.

Verdict: This is a great blend! I am really glad I was able to find a bottle. I see myself wearing it more frequently when the weather isn't so hot!

Rating: 5/5

In the bottle, I mostly get amber and spices from Snake Charmer.

Wet on my skin, the vanilla shows up to play. Vanilla always works for me, and I do get something vaguely cinammony, along with other spices. Amber is a hit and miss note for me though, and here it starts out pretty strong. It's a bit to incensey on me at first.

However, after a half hour, it really starts to settle down. The amber and spices back off, allowing the plum to emerge and blend with the vanilla. I only got a faint whiff of the coconut, which is sad because my favorite note is coconut. But still, Snake Charmer eventually blends in an exotic, subtle, sexy blend. This is what I wanted Red Lantern to be like (sadly, that one never did work).

Snake Charmer isn't something I'd wear all the time, but definately one I'll pull out for special occasions and encounters. :P It's not what I imagined, but it's still a really beautiful blend.

Edited by Rock Goddess

This one starts out as a mix of rich spice, musk, and resin hung over vanilla. On first sniff, it was pleasant, but I couldn't understand why people went so nuts over it. Then, about a half hour later, the plum ripens and comes up to the same level as the other notes, adding a rich fruit that is what really rounds this one out. It's dark and sexy, but even more than that-- it's intriguing. There's something mysterious about it that makes you keep wanting to inhale for more than just the sheer pleasure of the scent.

This one is a 9/10 for me. I think that after some careful aging, it will reach 10/10.

In the Bottle: Musky, and kind of generic "perfumy" in the bottle, with very little complexity.

On Application: Oh there's the complexity. Hmmm. Musk hits my nose first, and then the warmth of amber. A little vanilla, and something "dark", almost smoky but not quite. Very spicy on the base, accompanied by a touch of dark fruitiness.

On Drydown: It's hard to place what I smell here. Almost a touch of plasticky, but that may be because I tested this on the same arm I had Egg Nog on. Other than that, I just smell non-descript musky perfume.

Comments: Very disappointing. I'll try this again later to see if I'm having a weird skin chemistry day, but otherwise, I'll probably swap what I have.

Verdict: Retest.

In the bottle: It smells...cold to me. Like...usually this this description I thought it would be a warmer scent. That's odd. o.o; And it's kinda faint in the bottle. I think I smell the musk and the sweetness of vanilla but I'm not sure.

Wet: Sweet and musky. This is really nice...Still really faint though...I dunno I guess I have to slather it.

Dry: I smell a bit of fruit which is probably the plum. And it's sweeter now. I adore this scent. MINE. >: D

Snake Charmer is a winner. Sweet creamy vanilla, black coconut, sexy spices. DAMN. I really cannot imagine how this could possibly improve with age, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

It took me a few applications to decide if I like this scent. Once it dries on my skin and mellows a little, it becomes a lovely vanilla with spices and plum. Delicious! I'm so glad that I was able to track down a bottle.

rating: 5/5

This is what I expected Snake Oil to smell like, halfway between Bengal and Smut, to my nose. The vanilla musk hits me first, but there's heavy dollop of spice around it, sweet and enticing. Wow!

As it dries, the scent warms--the effect of the amber--and the sweetness fades. If I concentrate, I can smell the teensiest bit of plum, but it's very faint. Overall, though, it's a gorgeous scent.

Ow.......My.......Heavens....... :D

Spices, Amber, Musk, Plum......and the vanilla pops up in the drydown making it absolutely perfect!

I love it and I'm gonna hoard the imp I have now and the bottle I have coming.....MINE!! :P

*sniffs*

*swoons*

:D

In the rush of buying all bottles I could find (the newbie-frenzy, you know you did it to!) I ended up with 3 bottles of Snake Charmer.... Now, I probably was confusing it for different ones, or I was just crazy and did get all 3 knowing they were SC.

I finally tested a bit of it one day and it was SOUR. Just SOUR on my skin. I was so disppointed so off went all 3 bottles. Then I was given the info that it gets better with age. What did I do? Turned around and bought 2 others. They are in my "aging" box right now. Maybe I'll test them monthly to see if they're working, if not, I got some great aged bottles of SC to swap!

((and yes, I know what I had was SC not HoM, as I had HoM at one time too and didn't like it either))

I'm starting to become familiar with what scents work for me and amber is definitely one of them. This is one of the most incredible oils I've smelled so far. It's got a great uniqueness to it, has a perfect throw and the complexity of the blend is amazing. Teeny tiny amount of spice layered over wonderful golden amber.

In the bottle: Red musk (I think?) with some amber and a hint of fruity plum.

Wet: Very rich vanilla, as in bourbon vanilla. Ooh. Then the red musk comes out discreetly, followed by heady labdanum. There's also coconut there, getting richer and richer. Everything takes turns in coming out.

Drydown: We're back to amber and musk, after a tumble of scents, with coconut on the top. It smells like coconut oil drizzled over sensual musk and warm amber. There's a little bit of spice there, but it's very understated, possibly ginger. It becomes sweeter as it stays on the skin, and the musk slowly starts getting stronger and stronger.

Overall: It's rather discreet and understated, but very rich and warm at the same time. It makes me think of something very lazy and sensual, very rounded. This isn't in-your-face at all, and there's a foody component from the coconut, which is what my skin brings out most. It's rather pleasant, but nothing I would go crazy over, either.

To me, this is more amber and musk than the spicy vanilla of Snake Oil. It's pleasant enough, but I prefer Snake Oil's sweetness. I'm glad I got a chance to sniff this, but I'm not heartbroken I missed out on it. For once. :P

Wow. I get, oddly enough, *plum* and amber as the top notes. With a hint of something spiced-orangey, although that may be just my nose's citrus obsession. :P It's gorgeous though - spicy, sweet, and deep. Perfect sexy going-out-at-night scent.

I missed this little gem when she was introduced, but I just received her in a swap. Instant love...I immediately think that this is Eat Me and Snake Oil's daughter. Sweet, dark, and sexy. Oh, yeah! :P

I am so in love with Snake Charmer that it's made my top 3. It's more like the sultry, night time version of Snake Oil...at least on me. It had that spicy vanilla base that remind me of the "gingersnap" quality of Snake Oil. There's something a little more complex and elegant about it. Don't ask me about notes, I can't tell squat from this. All I know is that it's sexy love in a bottle. Definately a date perfume.

I was standing with two gentlemen friends the other night while wearing it. I let them smell my wrist and told them, "It's called Snake Charmer. I think it's a metaphor."

:P

Sure am glad I held off on reviewing this one for a while. I didn't like it at first sniff, and was going to get rid of mine... Happy day, I tried it again last night and had an entirely different reaction. Snake Charmer is a perfect feminine scent. And I'm not one for the sweet, fruity, and foody, or so I thought. This smell is outrageously girly, but dips down into a strong amber note to keep it from being too 'cutesy' and up into a fruit-sugar high note that adds a nice little kick. The notes blend perfectly, none standing out more than they should.

Bottle: spicy vanilla/musk

Wet: very musk, and the coconut is dark, underscoring it. the vanilla has backed right off (wonders never cease).

Dry: musky with a sweet undercurrent. I can detect the amber, but this leaves me with an impression of a very sophisticated and feminine EOM...

Later: ah, the plum appears, lovely, as well as the labdanum. This is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Not foody on me at all - just thick and rich, and seductive.