Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Snake Charmer

Sensual, sibilant, sexual and hypnotic: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut.

NOTE: this is about Snake Charmer Resurrected, not the original.

Right now, the resurrected 2008 is just smelling like Snake Oil to me...

Oh.. me too, and I have to say I'm really disappointed - I thought this was going to be different. It has all those other notes in it , but I'm not getting any black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin or black coconut. Weird, because with Death Adder the black coconut really dominates on me, but I can't find it in this at all. Plum is also another note that my skin usually amps but here.. nope, nothing.

All I'm getting is Snake Oil - actually, to be honest, a weaker version of Snake Oil - it's definitely not as rich and lush as Snake Oil and also isn't lasting long on my skin.

I'm not giving up on this, but sadly it just isn't doing it for me right now. Edited by Shollin

(Resurrected version - I've never smelt the original)

Wet, in bottle: Medicinal Snake Oil!

Wet, on skin: Coconutty Snake Oil...

Dry, on skin: SEXXXXXY :D What I wanted Snake Oil to be (I like SO, but it's a little too smoky on me sometimes, this is much lighter).

I can't really describe this in terms of notes, but it smells expensive. The coconut is there, definitely, hanging around in the background, and I think the amber is definitely adding something but I can't tell what. I can smell vanilla (this is the only note that really distinguishes itself, but it tends to amp on me).

Now I just have to decide if two bottles is enough... :P

Resurrected version: Fruity snake oil, smells exactly like Australian Copperhead when it dries down. Lovely, but not quite what I was expecting.

Resurrected version:

There is just something about Snake Charmer that reminds me of visiting my parents in Florida. As soon as I smell it, it's like instant vacation! I get snake oil and coconut, a smidge powdery. I'm a fan of original SC, and love this version, but will probably love it even more after it's aged a while.

I'm reviewing the resurrected version because I never tried the original -- I feared I would love it too much and mourn my inability to obtain more. But now I have my chance!

There are a few fragrances that cause me to go "OH YEAH" upon first sniff, and this is one of them. While I get a Snake Oil vibe, there is much more than Snake Oil happening on my skin. For me, Snake Charmer has a very different vibe, as the plum is very zippy, and I'd swear there is something there (at least on me) smells vaguely aquatic. Snake Charmer seems like a cross between Snake Oil and Mme. Moriarty, but with a certain zip and brightness.

I've heard that the original version was a very intense scent, no slathering required, and I'd agree with that assessment. Only a few drops will be necessary for this one to cast its spell!

Beautiful!

This is sexy amber and complexity. There's a whiff of herbal astringency, and spicy complexity, all rounded out with vanilla and labdanum's sweetness. There's a strong tone of honey and amber in there.

This is velvet sheets and warm soft skin. Sexy, but not naughty. Comfort, with boldness.

In a word... yes.

okay - I tried both the original and the resurrected today...

wet - oh gross. smells a lot like mme moriarty - trying to suppress gag reflex

on skin - bathsheba.

drying - I don't get snake oil at all. the arabian musk/plum combo is shrieking bathsheba to me. a slightly more nauseating bathsheba, where instead of clean carnation there's an indistinct cloying foody disgustingness sitting heavily and fatly all over the plum and arabian musk (it IS a nice musk though, and one I can wear [OMFG. I normally can't do musk], DAMN I wish the vanilla and coconut and amber weren't so god damned disgusting). why the hell doesn't beth use arabian musk more often? it's the only musk I actually like and can wear.

dry - I'm not even getting any spice - this is just heavy and WAY too sweet and buttery and disgusting, with a dollop of fake cough medicine type fruit on top. nope, not even candy sweet fruit - cough medicine. this is just so... high pitched. does that make sense? some blends settle into my skin and mellow out but this is just WAY too sharp and only seems to get higher pitched and more cloying with wear. I really cannot express my revulsion, it makes my nose burn from about a foot and a half away.

so, to sum it up, incredibly artificial smelling and unwearable. it doesn't really even morph on my skin much, it just seems to get higher pitched. for all the warping my skin does to EVERY OTHER BLEND, why couldn't it have warped this into something pleasant? how disappointing - I was actually expecting this to be at least understandably pleasant.

the only positive thing I have to say about this blend is that it doesn't go bitter on me like 90% of bpal, falling instead into the "stale sweet" category that's only very slightly less repulsive.

In the bottle: A darker, deeper snake oil with coconut! Sexy weird sweetness!

Wet on skin: Wow! This is incredible! It's like the perfect snake oil variation of my dreams! Like a slightly less diabolical Mme. Moriarty. Musky and coconutty, exotic and sexy. The coconut gives it a dark, lush, beachy night feel.

Drydown: I am so thankful that this was resurrected! Still so sexy and exotic. The vanilla comes forward a bit more now.

Overall: Definitely a favorite, I may need more! Mysterious, sensual, magical and nostalgic of dancing in a dark club all night. Perfect for me! :P

NOTE: this is about Snake Charmer Resurrected, not the original.

So, I needed to see what all the hype was about...

And I love it! Spicy, smooth, sweet and spicy. Did I say spicy? Yes, I did.

Mmmmmmm.....

What was I saying again? Oh, yah, spicy!

It doesn't last on me as long as snake oil does, but, while it does last it is sweet and smooth and spicy love.

This is regarding the current Resurrected version.

In the bottle, it's incense and vanilla and red musk. Nice, but not exceptional.

On my skin, it's a very somewhat lighter and sweeter Mme. Moriarty clone. It's nice, and I love the Madame, so I find Charmer appealing and wearable, but not obsession-inducing. There is a hint of the mustiness that Snake Oil leaves on me for a short while, but it fades relatively quickly, which is good, because I don't like Snake Oil. On me it smells a bit of wet dog. :P;;

I may buy a bottle, mostly to see how it ages, but I'm not wildly crazy about it.

this is for the Resurrected Blend, NOT the original

in the vial: i'm getting the plum and something that smells like black cherry (is there a black cherry note is the list? can't remember) :P

wet on skin: i can see what people are saying about it being similar to Snake Oil, but interestingly, it smells only like *aged* Snake Oil at this point, not the fresh stuff- all musky and dark and sexy. i'm hopeful... :D

dry down: yes, it's like a combination of Mme. Moriarty, Snake Oil *and* the Charmer itself. i came into my bottle of the original only within the last 6 months, so obviously it's well aged. i am not, therefore, terribly concerned with the ways this smells different from that. i have a feeling that with proper aging, this batch will shine just as brightly as the original.

:D

ADDED Jan. 12:

this is for the 2008 resurrected version.

in the bottle: sweet, musky, spicy and warm- a lighter version, at this stage, of the original. :D

wet on skin: a tangy note is making it's way to the fore. reminds me a bit of copal, but without the citrus, if you can imagine such a thing. :D

dry down: more vanilla, less musk, than the original. it's closer to Snake Oil in this incarnate.

in all: having only started exploring BPAL in late 2007, i missed the original release of Snake Charmer. and while i have a bottle of it, purchased for a princely sum last year, it means i don't really know what it smelled like when it was fresh from the Lab- i have the benefit of having gotten it already aged. From what i can tell, it seems like all the necessary components are present in this blend, there just needs to be some time for the aging process to happen in order for it to reach the swoon-worthy levels of it's originator.

as a result, i'm putting a bottle of this newbie away to age along with my original and i'm going to give them both a side-by-side comparison a few months down the line. i have a feeling it's only going up from here. :(

AAHHH! <----- exclamation of happiness

this scent is heaven, it really is.

i like this much better than the original, which i (regretfully) sold my half bottle of *just* before this was resurrected (i wasn't wearing it much- because it was rare & near irreplaceable, and i felt a little guilty hoarding when so many others really wanted it.)

not this time...i have four bottles and am planning on four more- at LEAST. a baker's dozen would be ideal- i want to be rubbing this into my wrinkles when i'm 80 years old. and to compare the only scents i have more than one backup of are pisces 07, lilith victoria, & Mme Moriarty (total four of each), and the sleeper & evening star (3 bottles each.) i'm not a huge hoarder but this scent is the exception. if only it came in bath oil or shower gel! i can just see it: Lush Presents Bpal. hahaha

oh yeah, the actual scent. *ahem* still getting a likeness to snake oil, but it is superficial at best. they're like two people in the same family who resemble each other, but really aren't alike at all when you get down to it. doing a wrist test for both at the same time the difference is immediately noticeable- SO is dark & moistly earthy, full of warm patchouli, while SC is brilliant- bright, sharp and golden. is it the musk? the amber? the benzoin? i don't notice the coconut unless i slather, but isn't the burnt kind that i got from death adder and to a lesser amount, original SC. the vanilla is not obvious either, though i can just detect it sweetening up the blend as a whole. the plum hides until i've had it on a while, and even then it's just a whiff.

the throw is awesome- i just dabbed and my hubby could smell it several feet away. (he said the combo of both reminded him of the Swedish Chef's Croonchy Stars cereal :P i don't find either of them foody- and SC is sex on a stick. or snakes on a plane. a sexy plane) and i know from wearing that it LASTS. you know it's good when you get complimented even after being in a hot sweaty club.

beth, i can't thank you enough for bringing this back!

Edited by butcherbaby

weird....this is Smut on me...with a little heat behind it, like kissing someone who had recently eaten Red Hots.

I dunno if Ill keep it or not yet....

Amber is a very scary note for me. I find that, in general, it just doesn't agree with me. Luckily, in Snake Charmer (resurrected), the amber comes out but doesn't overwhelm and I find that while it is very sweet in the way that amber is, I don't find it to be a turn off and it doesn't have that horrid powdery bubble gumminess that I always associate with amber. Rather, it warms the blend up and gives the spices a golden glow. This is a sweet blend and I can smell the coconut way under there and it vaguely reminds me of Snake Oil meets Smut meets Mme Moriarty. I think this is going to age beautifully, just as the three above mentioned scents have gone from great scents to spectacular scents as they age, so I am very curious as to what this will smell like over time. I don't get much vanilla but maybe it will peek out over the next few hours as I just put this one on.

This is fantastic. Thanks for bringing it back Bet. I get snak oil but I can pick out the coconut and plum which makes it a deeper scent. It is smooth, and sweet with a touch of spice. There are extra bottles of this is in my future.

resurrected version:

wet/in imp: hrm..it smells like grape snake oil, musk, amber and spices.

dry: hrm. this is really light. i keep going back & forth on this scent. it's starting to get a little perfumey and cinnamony on me and i'm trying to figure out what the hype about this scent is.

maybe the aged version is better than the newer version? i might pick up 1 or 2 bottles and stash them in the back corner and see if aging helps?

i'm honestly not sure how i feel about it at this point.

p.s. this totally reminds me of mr jacquel

Edited by djsiberia

Resurrected Version

In the bottle: Rich, creamy vanilla with light spices and fruit

Wet on skin: Same as above, now with coconut and plum

Dry on skin: Slightly spicier, with a good balance between the creaminess of the coconut and the sweetness from the vanilla and plum

On my skin, this is richer and less spicy than Snake Oil; in fact, I wouldn't have thought to compare them if I hadn't read posts about similarities (and differences) between the two.

This goes strong on my skin for about six hours, then slowly fades over another three to six hours.

Love it and will be getting a back up bottle, seeing that this will probably age well.

Sometimes I get Smut, sometimes I get Snake Oil, and sometimes this is its own unique though similar scent. Maybe it hasn't settled down yet because it seems to be a little different every time I try it.

It's hard to describe it without drawing a few Snake Oil comparisons -- like it's lighter, less spicy, less in-your-face. It's gentler, and I might wear it out more places. Maybe it's more "lady-like".

I'm not sure it lives up to the hype, but I'm guessing this is absolutely not the scent it will be in six months. I like it enough to buy another bottle and let one age. I can almost smell "amazing" waiting in the wings.

ETA: I'm reviewing the resurrected version, and I've never tried the original.

Edited by KateW

So I've been waiting to review this since I just love it so much I was hoping I would be able to do it justice, but I don't think that will happen. LOL

I have both the resurrected and the original. I do think I like the resurrected a bit more (blasphemy, I know) but only because it's a bit brighter and smoother smelling to me, along with the fact that the coconut is a bit stronger (which I love). It really makes me feel beautiful and sexy and happy. I love it. :P It does have a resemblance to Snake Oil, but more like a cousin, not a twin. This reminds of the best of Snake Oil and Ashlultum rolled into one.

The original on the other hand is deep, dark, mysterious, and rich smelling. The coconut is almost gone and the plum takes it's place. It has more of an incensey vibe to it than the resurrected.

So even though I do lean a bit more to the resurrected, I love them both for different reasons and they each fit different moods. :D

I'm not a fan of snake oil, and that's what this smells like at first. It smells like exotic spices, but that dies down a bit once it hits my skin. I think I'm just smelling the resins and incense and red musk. Sadly, red musk makes things smell like rubber on my skin (unless it's aged). I would love it if I got more coconut, vanilla or black plum, but I'm not getting anything sweet from this.

After 20 min. it's less overpowering. Not bad, but I'm not wild about it. I'll keep it for aging and hope it gets better.

ETA: this is for the resurrected '08 version.

Edited by kelp

:P Nomnomnomnomnomnom.

I mean, uh. . .

The first time I tried this (resurrected) I put a little on, being delicate to try the new decants. It was yums, and the Boy swooned, and I liked it. It was Snake Oil-ish and a little Smutty, but instead of the usual sweet musk it was dark brown civety musk.

Then last night I slathered. Twice. and the Boy Swooned, and I swooned, and we sniffed me a lot. After we were done. . .spwooning. . . and I got a clearer sniff, it definitely resembles Snake Oil. But with dark fruits and dark musk and more incense, and yums.

I asked the Boy how many bottles I should get and he said "Many Many", but I think we will compromise at 3, because I have never even finished a whole imp :D My only complaint is that I wish it stayed strong longer, but I think when the weather is warm and I'm not wearing long sleeves for it to rub off on, that won't be such a problem.

Edited by SeaLady

This is nice. Really, really nice.

At first, I get that sharp, weird scent that made me wrinkle my nose at Snake oil and throw it on the swaps pile. And I can still smell it going on discreetly when I put Snake Charmer on, but it behaves, so I'm happy.

Wet, this is sweet but not cloyingly so (like Snake Oil was - I found it a bit nauseating, but nothing like that here), a little fruity (less than I hoped and expected, but perhaps it will come out later), spicy, and red musk goodness (red musk just as it should be - in the background, not too overwhelming, blending in with the other notes).

I'm really impatient to see how this ages. As I said, it's nice now, but it will be good after a few months, oh yes.

In vial: like Snake Oil, only better. People tell me SO is sweet and vanilla-y, but I don't get that at all. Snake Charmer is sweet and vanilla-y, with a freshness in the bottle that I don't get on the skin.

Wet on skin: sweet and resinous. I can detect the plum and coconut amidst a lot of musk, amber and vanilla. I like the wet stage.

Dry on skin: as it dries it becomes much more like Snake Oil, although still sweeter. I'm not sure I like it, because it feels a little ... well ... unwashed! It's well out of my normal comfort range. I'll will keep it for further testing and to see if it ages well (which it ought to). I like it better now than I did when I ripped open the box and did a quick skin test while occupied with other things this afternoon. This has potential. In fact I'd say it's growing on me!

Resurrected. :D

Wet in bottle: honestly kind of unremarkable. hmm. I expect this will change up greatly.

on skin: resinous and sweet. I don't get the Snake Oil comparisons, as on me, Snake Oil is much more vanilla. This is not as sweet as SO on me.

drydown: musk and sweet. The plum doesn't intrude too much (which is good, as I'm finding that the Lab's plum note isn't that great on me) but unfortunately coconut (which I :P ) isn't showing up either. that's okay, though. It's nice.

After an hour: still musk and sweet. Not sure about strength, though it seems like it'd be strong.

Don't know if it will trounce Snake Oil, but I do like it. =)