Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

French Love

A warm, soft, sexual blend. Sweet and alluring. Used to entice new lovers and add an aura of temptation and carnal sin to your environment.

wow, dragon's blood and lilac: 2 notes that my skin hates! still, there is something about this that intrigues me a bit...i do sense a soft spice in the background which is nice, but overall, i dont think it works for me. the dragon's blood/lilac combo reminds me of public bathroom cleaner :P damned skin chemistry. Edited by theseagrows

BRIGHT RED! I love the color of this oil. It smells like clean water, light greenery, and rose petals. Does not really make me want to have sex, but Mike says it definitely does for him. It's a little too soapy for me, but it really fits in with the 'rose petals in the bath' kind of theme. I will use the imp definitely! Mike will have to have a big bottle.

French Love is sexy in a subtle, romantic, clean way. It's passion, not lust. Making love, not screwing.

Oh my, this is lovely. One of my favorite parts of the arrival of Spring is the blooming of the lilacs, so I'm extremely fond of that scent. And the dragons blood brings it a sweetly wanton quality.

Wearing this, I feel like a beautiful, spoiled French courtesan reclining on a chaise lounge reading bawdy literature with a detatchedly amused countenance, awaiting the arrival of her lover. And knowing he won't be able to keep his hands of her.

Yes, this is a bottle waiting to happen.

:P This did not like my skin. I'm sad b/c the name is so what I pictured being a little more warm and sensual. To me, this was sweet, dragon's blood, gardenia, and a whisper of spice.

Wet: translucent red, gorgeous color, thick, a bit cloying for me on initial sniff, floral note coming through, def dragon's blood...

On skin: yep, dragon's blood. Feh, apparently my skin and dragon's blood don't play well together. Floral and steady cloying on me.

Drydown: getting better...definitely not cloying anymore, rather sensual in a floral sort of way...

Summary ** will not buy big bottle b/c, dang it, I'm trying to not go broke with BPAL!!! I need to sort out the ones that make my toes curl, and unfortunately this isn't one. But I'll definitely use up the imp. Floral lovers along with DBR lovers will find this lovely.

Candy! Mellowing into wine. I’m not keen on it. Not a good foodie for me. It does go back into a sweetness which is tolerable, but best for someone who will love it more. Kind of oily, too.

I do not like French Love, and I haven't even tried it on yet. In the vial it's what I think might be ylang-ylang and cough syrup. Ylang-ylang is my least favorite note of all time and cough syrup is...well, cough syrup. I'll give it a chance tomorrow (I'm currently trying a different scent), but I don't hold out much hope.

In the vial: Uh, I guess that's straight-up dragon's blood? It smells sour and musky.

On the skin: Yeah, still dragon's blood. It's similar to Dragon's Milk but no honey more floral. I'm not getting any throw on this. It's a bit herbally but I have no idea if I like this or not. :P It's going to require a field test.

This is really really nice! I love Dragon's blood scents, but this is one with a difference. The Dragon's blood is the bottom note which I find really unusal.

There is something else in here that I'm dying to know about, so I can go and search for other blends with it in.

It's hard to describe, it's almost like a vanilla....or that "Milk" or "Cream" note that's described in other blends and it's absolutely gorgeous!!!!

To my nose this smells almost exactly like the "Fever" massage bar that Lush sells. A creamy kind of floral smell.

ME WANT 5ML!!!

This is my second favourite dragons blood blend that I've tried, second of course to Dragon's Milk!!!

:P

French Love

A sweet floral that's almost berry-like. Dragon's blood and lilac. This feels perky and reminds me of bubble gum for some reason.

[3 - Like] I expected French Love to smell like a cheap whore, but it's innocent and floral, so that was a nice surprise.

Yay!!! I love Dragon's Blood and can't usually do them- they just don't like me!!!! But this is so nice!! Definitely warm and sensual. Definitely in the "floral" scent category for me, but still I like it!!

I would DEFINITELY not wear this every day, but I would wear it for my SO for sure!!

OMG, this scent is wonderful! I was expecting something "cheap" smelling. Oh no, not this one. I loved it in the bottle... dragon's blood and floral of some sort. When I first put it on, it was dragon's blood, a sweet creaminess, and soft floral. As it dried, a bit of spice came out to mingle as well. I don't know about its "effect" yet, but as a scent, I LOVE this one! :P

Ooo! Pretty! At least, it's pretty in the imp! I love the red color!

In the imp this smells like a sweet floral/wine mix. A little sexy, a little flirty. I have no idea whether this is going to mesh well with my skin chemistry though...

Hmm. This smells familiar to me once it's on my skin. What does it remind me of...gah, I can't recall yet. But I like this. It's a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet wine, and a little bit floral, a little fresh and clean.

It gets a little spicier as it dries. A nice spicy floral. Yep. I like this. I like it a lot. I don't always do well with florals so I am always thrilled to find one I like. This will be added to my growing list of bottles to buy one day.

I can't attest to French Love's voodoo effects though. Gotta try this out again when the boyfriend is nearby and see :P

I like this one! Very warm, sweet, sensual. I haven't tried Dragon's Blood, and I see a lot of gals referred to it in their review, but it's a very pretty scent. I dont get much spice, which is good. A nice perfume to wear to a fancy restaurant! :P

ADDED Feb. 13:

Dragon's blood and a floral vanilla musk. Sweet n' sexy! Not spicy at all.

I thought the name French Love sounded pretty dirty but found that its a pretty delicate ladylike smell. I was suprised that there was dragon's blood in it but pleasantly so because the dragon's blood blends have all worked really well on me so far. I think it likes me. It does have a nice creamy/floral/sweet smell. It did make me feel sexy, and my husband really liked it and it made him want to get sexy to. Im definetly considering getting a big bottle of this.

Lesee... I got this as a frimp with my very first BPAL order, so it's always going to have a special place in my heart. And I stupidly didn't cap the bottle properly and it leaked into my handbag... which meant that the next time I ordered BPAL, I had to get another bottle of this. Yep, it's really that good.

In the Bottle

Smells sweet-- not sure if this was what I expected, and I could not make out what the heck was in there... rose? Lilac maybe? The colour should be a giveaway, but it doesn't have that resiny tang of Dragon's Blood that one expects with the red.

On Me

Ooh-la-la! Yum. It maintains the same sweetness, but takes on a sharper, much more noticable, and VERY sexy scent. There's something warmer in there coming through, and another floral-- I'm guessing at least a hint of gardenia. I've had a few compliments on this one-- "What's THAT you're wearing?" :P

There's also a champagney edge-- this is more what I'd have hoped Bon Vivant (which failed dismally on me) would smell like, but no worries-- I'm very happy with the Frenchness. I plan on getting myself a bottle some time.

What's more-- it makes me feel pretty damned sexy... isn't that what it's all about? I can credit French Love with being what got me into the Conjure Bag oils. (Chuparosa actually makes me perk up a bit when I'm really in the dumps-- I'm kind of tripped out by the psychological component of this range!-- I honestly would have never considered it if it weren't for French Love.)

french love smells like the Healing Garden Jasmine Therapy Sensual spray that i used to wear a lot in high school. im glad ive found a better quality non-alcohol smelling alternative to that.

i smell dragon's blood, but not overwhelmingly so, and something like violet and a bit of jasmine. very sweet with a tiny bit of spice, but not sharp. its a bit heavy and syrupy at first but then dries a bit lighter and muskier. i really like this one, makes me think of a dark fucshia color.

In a word: Non.

French Love started out as too-sweet baby powder on me and then deepened into warm plastic. A close friend described it on her as Barbie left out in the sun, and I have to say that it does remind me exactly of how my rubber dolls used to smell. I'm leaving it on for nostalgia's sake for now, but we'll see how long that lasts. This is my first jab at anything involving dragon's blood, and I'm curious to see if that is the note that's disagreeing with me!

I got this as a frimp from the Lab which was really sweet! Too bad it didn't work for me. On the drydown I got gardenia, spice, baby powder, and burnt rubber. I guess dragon's blood and I don't get along. :P

In imp: I can smell the dragon’s blood.

Wet: Sweet but not foody, floral, spicy. This has a transparency that I like. Either it smells like skin or I can smell my skin through it. There might be some musk mixed in with the dragon’s blood and perhaps a little cinnamon? Or is it that the dragon's blood resin has a slightly cinnamon-like scent?

20 minutes: It is a bit more floral now but somehow the floral element is also transparent. Dragon's blood smells a bit like lilac on me.

Drydown: On me this remains a somewhat transparent creamy/floral/spicy scent.

This makes me feel attractive and sexy but it it is still pretty and doesn't seem too blatantly seductive. I've been wearing this frequently. It is strong so a few drops is enough and it lasts for hours.

Edit 7/09 -- French Love remains a favorite BPAL. It is enticing while still smelling fresh. Something about it makes me feel confident as well as attractive.

Edit 1/10 -- I no longer wear the other "sexy" scents I liked when I first discovered bpal: Lilith, Sed non Satiata, Blood Kiss, Blood Lotus... but I still like and wear French Love.

--Myrrha

Edited by Myrrha

In the vial: Sweet, flowery...maybe a bit of a sweet pea smell?

Wet: Very youthful sort of floral smell. Maybe a little bit fruity as well?

Dry: Gorgeous, what more can I say? The sweetness calms down a bit and gives way to a smell that reminds me of my bridesmaid bouquet from my sister's wedding. Ordered a bigger bottle very quickly!

I was fascinated by the color, that's why I tried this. :D The pretty pink-red imp, with an interestingly candy-floral scent. Coming here, I see everyone says "dragons blood" but I've never smelled it before so I have no comparison. If it is DB, then I think that me and DB are going to be BFF really soon. :D

I associate the spicy-floral smell with carnations, but only because this smells just like a scratch and sniff picture of one in a book when I was little. There's something vaguely vanilla deep in the smell, maybe more the round FEEL of vanilla- something smooth and creamy.

I really like this. Its very soft and sexy. I can't attest to the voodoo properties, since I'm alone now, but I think I'll wear it the next time I go out to run errands. :P

In the Bottle: Shalimar by Guerlain

On the Skin: Shalimar by Guerlain

After a While: Shalimar by Guerlain

Verdict: Shalimar by Guerlain. One of my favorites, and particularly beloved by my mother. I may have to get a bottle for days when I miss her.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Shalimar, it is a deep and rich mixture of exotic eastern florals. Like Scheherezade made into a deep syrup. The Arabian Nights condensed.

I loved this ... which is why I was so sad when my skin drank it up and it disappeared. I'm going to try again and hope the same thing doesn't happen. It didn't smell like any of the other dragon's blood scents I've tried, it was a soft warm creamy not sweet, but delicious vanilla and then it was gone. And I was very sad because it was very yummy.

This smells rather a lot like perfumed mochi. It does soften, but it's so not me. Trade bag.