Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

French Love

A warm, soft, sexual blend. Sweet and alluring. Used to entice new lovers and add an aura of temptation and carnal sin to your environment.

Mostly dragon's blood on me, which goes little weird on me and is giving me a headache in this blend. Also getting some soft floral (lilac?) and cinnamon. This one is not doing it for me!

Mmmmm! Enticing is right. French Love has a lot in common with Dragon's Milk, but it's more complex and less candy-like on me.

In the bottle: Pink amber color. I can smell vanilla, dragon's blood, cinnamon, and lilac.

Wet: Sweet! I can smell all the above notes, plus a light musk. The cinnamon comes out a little more, and the floral backs off. It's a little powdery, in a sexy way.

Dry: Sexy. Light, close to the skin, and totally fantastic.

Respectfully snipping Ina Garten Davita's review because it captures a lot of what's working for me:

The longer it dries and blends with my chemistry, the more addictive it gets.

Final Analysis: To call this sexy/sophisticated/seductive just won't do. Perhaps a few of these might capture the essence of French Love...alluring, attracting, attractive, beguiling, bewitching, captivating, charming, come-hither, desirable, drawing, enchanting, enticing, fascinating, flirtatious, inviting, irresistible, magnetic, provocative, ravishing, siren, specious, tempting.

Note about aging: My first encounter with FL was an aged imp via a forum purchase. It rocked my little cotton socks, so I bought a bottle from the Lab, and it wasn't the same AT ALL. I looked for "French Love" in the Aging BPAL thread, and found this. Hooray! I searched, and found someone on the forum with an aged bottle for sale, and sure enough, it's the same magic that was in my aged imp!

So, if you test an imp of FL and are totally underwhelmed, age it--this scent becomes bewitching with a little aging :wub2: .

Let me start off by saying this is not a review describing the scent of French Love... just how much I love it. I ordered this imp along with a couple others from the lab and I immediately loved it. It's absolutely gorgeous. Sexy but not too sweet or overtly sexual... the kind of scent, in my experience, that a lot of guys like. I find myself reaching for it multiple times a week and when I wear something else I think I miss my French Love. Ordering a 5 ml for sure.

On me this smells nothing like what I've been reading in this thread, and I guess it must be the dragon's blood's fault. That stuff really doesn't like me, although for whatever reason this one isn't making me itch. Maybe it's a different one than is in the Dragon scents?

This smells like spicy dirt. It's actually not bad, like rich spring soil with some old cinnamon bark and dried leaves mixed in. I get none of what I thought dragon's blood smells like, and definitely no lilac. Lilac is one of my absolute favorite florals, and to my knowledge this is one of the only GCs BPAL has that features lilac heavily without being styled like an old-fashioned men's cologne. I'm very disappointed I can't smell it. There is something sweet like a vanilla bean in there, but it's faint in the same way the cinnamon is. I guess if your skin is like mine and you like earthy smells this one could be a winner for you. Skin chemistry is so weird.

Wet: I get a sweet, honeyed vetiver and glowing woods type scent. Quite nice, and not what I expected! I purposely didn't read other reviews though, so I didn't know what to expect. This is nice.

Ok - now I have read other reviews, and am totally confounded. I swear, there is not a hint of Dragon's Blood in this imp. It's the wrong colour, for one thing, and I amp DB to the moon and back - and I'm not getting even a hint. Did I get a mislabelled imp? This is vetiver. Feeling like I am going crazy....well, my skin burns off vetiver quickly, for the most part, so maybe later I will smell what others are smelling. Cinnamon and lilac, seriously?? I get neither. At all.

Dry: Vetiver, sweet, smooth and honeyed. It's gorgeous, but it smells nothing like the other reviews I see, and that confuses the heck out of me. I like this a lot, I think it is unique and sexy, very sophisticated, but I am just very confused about it.

ETA: Read most of this thread and am seriously convinced I got a mislabelled or weirdly aged imp. We all know what colour DB is - this imp is a yellowish brown, not even a hint of pink or red. And it smells like vetiver and woods, not Dragon's Blood. So I will be hunting down a new imp, to see if I be crazy or not.

ETA2: Got a different imp of French Love. It's pinkish/red, which is what one would expect of Dragon's Blood. It also smells like the Lab's floral DB note, with maybe a hint of lilac? It's pretty. Smells nothing like that other imp I had. Weird! But glad I got to try what I would consider the "real thing" based on everyone else's review. It's very nice, but DB is not a huge fave of mine, and there are other DB scents I prefer.

Edited by LizziesLuck

On me this is just a stinky floral. i get no DBR and I love that stuff. Dries down to straight up baby powder. This does not feel sexy to me at all. Damn skin chemistry!

Edited by cassiejaynebunk

In the imp: I'm not exactly sure what I'm smelling. The best way I can describe it is a dirty floral and a spring floral. I think there may be some lilac in this, or possibly some violet or orris.

Wet: This is a really heady floral scent on me. I do think there is lilac in this, possibly accompanied jasmine. If it is dragon's blood, it is a very floral dragon's blood note (as opposed to the cherry, spiced floral that I normally think of when I think of). It is really strong, and I can't smell it too often for fear of it causing a headache.

Dry: Okay, now I get the dragon's blood's cherry floral self as the dominant note, backed by what I believe to be lilac.

Verdict: This one isn't my cup of tea. This floral combo is just too heady for me, and the dragon's blood isn't cooperating with my skin (it has a bit of a cough-syrup-y vibe).

Edited by dementia_divine

I've had this imp of French Love for forever and don't recall ever trying it. I packed it for my trip to NOLA, because it seemed perfect. I'm so glad that I did! I love dragon's blood and that is definitely present as the main note. But underneath that I get a spice note, probably cinnamon, and I detect some champaca. This is just wonderful - I do love my DB scents, but I believe that I like this even more than Dragon's Milk! 

Side note: this actually smells like the inside of a couple of boutiques I've gone into in the French Quarter. Not the stinky smelly Bourbon Street shops, but a couple off the beaten path. I need to order a bottle of this to be my NOLA scent memory.