Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

Although not my usual style o' thing, I decided I wanted to try this because it seemed like it would be a light, fresh, alternative to my heavier favorites. I got the imp in a package that also included what is now my favorite BPAL scent (Mme. Moriarty, in case you were wondering,) so everything else got a bit overshadowed by my immense Moriarty squee. I remember skin testing just a dab, thinking it was nice but kind of boring, and tucking it into the "don't trade yet, but maybe in the future" pile.

Well, today I was in just such a mood, and I dug around until I found my imp of Eden.

Here was me:
*dab dab* *tentative sniff*
*dab dab dab* *stronger sniff*
*waits a few minutes, sniffing every so often*
*SLATHERS*

Yes indeedy, this is exactly what I was hoping for. It is primarily a fig and coconut scent to my nose. I'm so happy with fig as a note. It's earthy but fruity, sweet enough but not too sweet. And the coconut is definitely toasty. Probably the sandalwood is adding to this impression, but I definitely get a drier, woodsier, grounding feeling from the coconut... not fresh coconut meat. The almond milk is smooth and creamy without being sour (like some milk notes can turn on me.) There is a definite green note when it's wet that is almost too much, but it dies down very quickly, and the transition is fun to smell.

Even with all these food elements, it doesn't feel like a foody scent to me. Very calming and soothing. It makes me think of lying in bed on crisp white sheets that are cool and soft to the touch, and napping for a few hours in the afternoon as the sun slants in through a window at the foot of the bed.

I'll be needing a bottle of this. Edited by MamaMoth

I'll start by saying that I don't get "green" from Eden at all. I'm not quite sure what I get, but I totally see the figs and honey when I put it on. It's a gloriously rich and warm scent, and one that I love smelling close to my skin. It's earthy and sweet and musky, something I just want to SLATHER.

As it dries it does go a bit powdery and incensey on me, which I'm going to assume is the sandalwood... and on certain places on my skin, in the late stages, it's positively sour and perfumey. :( I wish so much that it wouldn't go powdery, but its not enough powder to make me dislike Eden. Oh no. This is definitely a favorite of mine and one that I will wear often. Just... carefully.

• If this oil had a color, it would be a golden brown.
  • The notes I smell while drying is... I don't smell any of the notes listed.
  • Dry, this... smells... like... caramel popcorn!! I tried this without looking at the notes (it was a frimp), and I was excited to pinpoint exactly what I was smelling (stated above)- and went immediately to this thread to see how many people called it caramel popcorn too. Nope, only me. I've tried it 4 times since then and I cannot for the life of me smell anything else besides popcorn. Which sucks because I really wanted to like this, I love almond milk and coconut and figs! Not so much caramel popcorn. I mean its yummy and everything, but not to wear!
  • The scent made me feel... *cries* wwhhhyyy must you smell like CARAMEL POPCORN??
  • This lasts for almost six hours before it tuckers down!
  • The throw was moderate. If someone were to give me a hug they would have asked me if I had been to the circus the hour before.
  • Verdict: I'm keeping it anyways... maybe someday.... :cry2:
Edited by Alexanne

I was tempted by Eden because of the fig and coconut notes, but that sandalwood hit my skin and BOOM!! Allergies went off. I should really know better than to try anything with sandalwood in it, even if it is listed as a last note. :-/

Smelling it, I am wary it smells like coconut oil … on me lipstick coconut. Pleasant but something I think my make up should smell like not my perfume :) reminds me of suntan lotion on the beach.

In the imp, I'm definitely getting the fig and honey almond milk, with the toasted coconut and sandalwood lurking underneath. On my skin, the honey almond milk and the fig seem to be combining with the coconut, which may kill the blend. We'll see what happens. Ends up being toasted coconut. No, sadly. Swaps/sales.

Edited by Venneh

:::EDEN:::

Dang and Blast!

This fragrance is so familiar! It's maddening to have to incessantly refer to the Lab's notes when trying to train the nose to identify notes, but Eden is familiar is SO many ways... Specifics elude.

Before peeking, it's like tree-bark, Cherry, Pomegranite, Almond, Straw, and... Pistachio?

Eden signifies a place of origin. This is the Garden which embodies harmony, innocence, and immortality. Eden is devoid of the cares of the world. The soil here is unsullied by the spillage of Blood.

Eden is majestic. Eviction from here is a flavor of Hell.

A Flaming-Sword will leave no margin for error or misinterpretation that your welcome has expired...

Digression!

Pah!

Back to the notes: *sigh*

Well, Almond was correct. Would Sandalwood work as tree bark?

Fig!

*slaps forehead*

Of course it's Fig! Sweet, golden-purply Fig!

The Coconut came as a bit of a shock...

On the skin, the Almond is rocket-propelled. A greeny note emerges which must be the Fig-leaf... very, very nice!

Eden is indeed a Garden that will set fire to your heart.

Eden is a fragrance worth to bask and delight in for an eternity all your own.

Delightfully unisex...

The Fig-leaf piques the desire to peek at Him or Her.

Groovy!

4/5!

I'm not sure about this one.

First of all, it does not smell good to me in the imp or when i first put it on. it kinda smells like a popcorn flavored jelly bean. Sweet, but there's something artificial and savory underneath.

It takes a while for that to go away, but I would understand if you had to wash it off. It's a little gag-inducing. I know my husband would hate it.

BUT, if you hold out, you will get a nice milk and honey blend. I think it's especially nice a few hours later...where of course it will be more delicate, but healthy enough to get a frequent whiff.

The problem now is determining if the wait is worth it. Right now i'm leaning towards no.

OH......how I love this!!

In the bottle it is VERY green smelling, you can definitely pick up the almond over everything. I don't pick up much else. Its sweet, but not overwhelming, its more of a silky sweetness.

On: Lush, green floral with a peek-a-boo of coconut that is accented by the almond, which is still pretty heavy.

Dry: It drys to a subtle coconut scent where you catch wiffs of yourself when you move and think "oh yeah, I smell gooooood!". Its not a coconut that is generally in lotions or sunscreen, its more of a virgin coconut scent. More clean than sugary.

I love to use this or Bliss to warm up something like Black Dahlia or Shoggoth.

Eden is a lovely spring or summer scent. It reminds me of walking through a stand of trees with the wind rustling through them- like being surrounded with green.

The fig and almond come out first, and in a way this reminds me of Bilquis, which I believe shares those notes. It's the same honeyed sweetness, but with a greener side than Bilquis's blush-red.

This is a very gentle scent, but it wafts when I move- the coconut comes out and gives a tropical feeling. Not over-the-top luau, but standing at the top of a hill and looking down and seeing palm trees and jungle spread out around you (which reminds me of a guided meditation I once did that was lovely).

This scent makes me feel pretty in a delicate, elfin sort of way. I want more of this, it's luscious.

Warm, sweet, meaty, no spice. toasty brown with syrupy golden notes. Smells delicious!

In imp and wet, the fig leaps and the almond + coconut rises with it.

Drydown adds an element of downy greenness.. surprising! Smells more coconutty at this stage with a hint of tropical florals. I get a bit of a sweet incense impression from all the mingling. Very lovely!

In the imp this is toasted coconuts and almonds drizzled with fig juice! It's a greenish scent, possibly grounded by the sandalwood.

Wet on my skin toasted coconut! Plain and simple. Absolutely lovely.

Drying down, my coconut has little droplets of fig fruit curled up inside it, and a splash of milky goodness. This is a deep and sensual warm blend, which is foodie to me! I am so glad the greenery is gone, because that was worrying.

The coconut note is definitely the sweet and ripe one like in Obatala. It's meaty and juciey and has great staying power!

Wet: At first there is a bit of green along with the coconut and fig

As it dries: The green gets lighter. It is mostly gentle almond, coconut and fig.

Dry: Sweet but not cloying. I like it very much but it seems very light on me. I can only smell it when I put my nose up against my wrist and I put two dips of the wand on my wrists. I may try again with another imp.

Eden is incredibly foody in a dessert-y way. Honey, almonds, and coconut toastiness in the imp. The figs keep it from being overwhelmingly heavy, although it still has some substance.

On me it is less delicious, sadly. I hate the way fig smells on my skin, and it amps like whoa. The honey amps as well, and it's all too rich together. As soon as those two notes start to show signs of relenting, the coconut gets stronger and turns to plastic.

Not for me. I have enough honey scents, anyway, I'll leave this one for everyone else. :P

Edited by karen

Coconut comes out of the bottle with her little sidekick fig, stomping all over this scent.

but through the fight of notes in the dry down, fig got scared and ran home to mama, and sandalwood (which i tend to amp like CRAZY) and coconut teamed up to snuff the rest of the glorious and beautiful notes. maybe almond was there too.

I really like Eden. But then, I rarely run across a coconut blend I don't like. :)

Wet, this is like a green boozy coconut milk. Very rich and sweetened with the honey. The fruit notes stay pretty green and I'm glad for that as it dries, as it could have been very cloying if it stayed in that first boozy stage. Once dry, the woods come out and give depth and much needed dryness to the scent. To me it really smells like the husk and milky, meaty flesh of a brown coconut, drizzled with honey for touch of sensuality. Very rich, very evocative of an unspoilt green paradise. May be a touch too foody for some, but I like it, and I'm pretty particular about not smelling too much like food.

Eden

Fig is dominant at first, and it's very rich. I am a bit coconut fan, but the "toasted" quality of the coconut here combined with the almond is smelling a bit unpleasant to me, a little stale (I got a similar note in Eat Me). I am getting the "buttered popcorn" note mentioned in some other reviews as Eden dries a bit more. I am getting some delicious coconut whiffs though! Unfortunately, as it dries down more, it goes a bit sour on me. Off to the swap box it goes.

Edited by sunlitgarden

In the bottle, I get a heady whiff of almond and caramel-y toasted coconut. On wet, this is still principally coconut and almond, with a fruity light green note lurking in the background, quite distinctly the fig fruit with a bit of fig leaf. It's weird, because usually the lighter notes are in the forefront for me, with the heavier notes lurking in the background, but this is very clearly the other way around. As the oil dries, the fig gets more and more apparent as the coconut and almond disappear, finally leaving pure fig after the oil dries, almost exactly like the drydown of Tweedledum. I suppose fig must be one of the more enduring notes on me, like rose (yay!) and vetiver (...).

Overall, I'm relieved I don't get the buttered popcorn vibe. I like Eden immensely, but I wish the coconut and almond had stayed with me, to give the fig SN drydown some complexity and interest.

Imp and on wet: Almond, which to me always smells like cherry

On, dry: Turns into a slightly foodier Intrigue. The sandalwood (or something in here) is smelling a LOT like cedar, which I always amp to the point of overtaking a blend.

This started out smelling foody, definitely got the almond milk and fig. Then they got pushed right out of the picture by the wood note. Sandalwood hasn't done this to me before, but it's smelling exactly like cedar does on me.

This is really pretty. Clearly this is a case of skin chemistry and a blend not working well together.

In Imp: Deliciously foody! Almond and coconut, with just a touch of fig.

Wet: Toasted coconut and almond, ummmmm. This is amazing. I love almond, but it has a tendency to be too sharp when not tethered down by something else, and the coconut sweetens it enough to make it smell almost exactly like almond shortbread with coconut sprinkled on top. Reminds me of Hellcat, another good almond foodie GC. So good!

Dry: On the drydown I finally get a little fig, but that's hardly the part I care about. The coconut and almond stay strong, with just the tiniest bit of fig. I am getting almost no sandalwood, but it's fine by me, this is too good all on its own. Absolutely a keeper, possibly bottle material.

Edited by Whisperstilled

This is quite easily one of my favorites. I really must buy myself a bottle for my birthday this month (Happy Birthday to me, from me!)

I am bonkers for coconut, but am easily turned off or sickened by scents that are too sweet. Instant migraine.

Wet it is heavy with creamy almond, creamed coconut, and a hint of greenery.

The dry-down brings a slight incense feel, a bit of sandalwood perhaps, and the coconut and almond in the background.

It reminds me of laying on a beach in Maui after a day playing in the ocean; relaxing on your towel in the shade fiddling with fallen leaves, coconut husks, and such. Earthy, slightly sweet, and refreshing. LOVE!!!

I had high hopes for this one, but they came to naught. Just cheap-smelling, plasticky-fake coconut and almond with the tiniest hint of green fig. It wasn't beautiful and it sure wasn't paradise. 1 1/2 stars out of 5. Disappointing.

From the notes this sounded interesting! Straight out of the imp I got almond almond almond, and on my skin I got really strong toasted almond, so strong it drowned all the other notes. Then I got a violent headache, so I think this one is for the swaps pile. Oh well.

This is beautiful!

Coconut,almond, honey and fig. This manages to be summery, exotic and comforting and snuggly at the same time.

I may need a big bottle.

Intriguing, I definitely get the almond milk. Almond scents generally go rancid on me, but the almond milk stays true. It is sweet, but not too cloying. At first I get marzipan, then suntan oil, before it fades to a pleasant sweetness. It doesn't last very long at all.