Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dorian is my rainy day scent too. It's like a security blanket, seriously. Makes me feel warm and cozy and comfortable. :]

Penny Dreadful! It's like the damp earth has come to embrace you. You're not damp, like, "I can't wait to change out of these clothes" but like a second (warm) skin. Love it! It's raining today and that's what I chose.

Clio is another fresh natural rain scent for me. :P

Edited by Avery

Anyone say Mouse's Long and Sad Tale?

It's my melancholy rainy day scent... its very comforting and makes me feel like curling up and snuggling... heh. :P

But I like Dublin as a rainy day earthy scent.

Edited by shellyshells

Okay, weird question...

I just recently moved to a small college town, which has a lot of great things about it. However, I'm really missing specific things about the place I lived before...most importantly, the smell. (Well, and the selection of restaraunts, but I won't go into that here.)

I lived in the garden district of Dayton, OH, and I really miss the smell when it rained. Particularly in the spring, since there were white blossoms on the trees (I WISH I knew what kind) that would fall off and get crushed on the sidewalk. There was the smell of rain, flowers, ozone, and however you can define the smell of...city. I don't know, humanity and exhaust? But it wasn't overly hot...still cool and moist.

Can anyone recommend a BPAL that is somewhat like this?

Have you tried Szepasszony?

It definately hits the rain/flowers/ozone notes, although I'm not so sure about the exhaust.

Hmm.

Danube smells like flowers in the rain. No ozone, though. Lightning smells like ozone - perhaps you could layer them?

Another suggestion (though I haven't tried it) is Black Ice - it's supposed to evoke "sleet, smoky asphalt, and winter wind," but most of the reviews seem to be describing it as a somewhat dark, perhaps ozonic aquatic floral.

Thanks, guys!

I definitely know what you mean about Danube, Electra...it's kind of got part of the feel, but not entirely. Never tried it layered, though; also, never tried Szepasszony.

Any other ideas, fellow forumites?

Neo-Tokyo, maybe? Also Zombi....freshly turned, moist dirt with a capital D, and flowers...the dirt calms down after a while. Not really a city scent, but kind of humid and floral, like Demeter's Wet Garden (in my opinion), with more dirt...I could be way off base here. :P

Hmm...maybe, Forspecial Plate. For me, though, all I smell in Neo-Tokyo is cherry blossom and ozone, and Zombi's all rose.

Interesting thoughts, though...and I definitely want to try Wet Garden now!

This is so pathetic; I never thought I'd miss this place so much, but I really do. Especially sitting out on the porch, or even on the living room couch, smelling early evening breeze and hearing amazing street musicians a few blocks away...sigh.

Maybe knowing what kind of flowers where those might help? Where they many little white flowers? maybe in the family of the rose:

pear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pear_tree_flowers.jpg

cherry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cherry.jpg

plum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Plum_blossoms.jpg

apple http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/taxonom...e%20Blossom.jpg

These are all very similar... and BPAL has scents with them all, I think. I don't know if they are aquatics, though.

Oh, and I have to suggest Annabel Lee, if you can find it :P

Excellent question, Medvssa...I'm actually wondering if at least some of them are in the Locust family? I have a good friend still in the area, and I just emailed her to ask.

Aw, Hepcat... hugs to you for your homesickness! I hope you discover more and more things about your new town to love so those pangs won't feel as sharp.

There's also a general thread about rain scents that might give you some more leads on blends to try. For me, so many of the "rain" scents end up with an aquatic note that doesn't agree with me - but I definitely second the suggestion of Szepassony.

I agree with the folks that mentioned trying to discover what kind of flowers they were. You could go to some sites that talk about flowering trees commin to that area. I think any of the suggestions made above COULD be likely in that part of the country. Could you tell me more about what the trees looked like? Tall? Short? Wide reaching branches or narrow silhouette? Are they mature or saplings? What color/texture is the bark? Do recall the shape of the leaves?

Maybe check on a floweing tree identification website. There are so many with white blossoms that could be grown in that region...someplace like that might help you to narrow down the shape/growing habit of the trees and therefore narrow down which ones it could have been.

Edited by Dinerdulcinea

Penthus smalls like flowers in rain, but might lack the city component. Perhaps you should try Black Ice before it goes away, I have heard it has a wet asphalt feel to it.

Edited by TroubleDoll

Okay, I'm bumping this, although the original idea seems to be "what would you wear on a rainy day" and my question (it being drought year time in Northnern california) is

which BPAL fragrances have that "oh, thank god, the rain has started to fall" feeling?

Maybe ones with ozone might--but I haven't quite figured out ozone scents.

But you know the feeling and fragrance: the heat, then the splash, then the glorious sense of wetness and freshness.

(I don't think what I mean is a green/herbal scent). Clarity? Water?? something....

editing to clarify: I don't think I'm looking for what would be described as a "clean" scent--this is something a bit different.

Edited by jarvenpa

Hmmm, do you mean like Tempest or Lightning sort of scents? I like both of those because they remind me of my beloved Pacific Grove - a bit stormy and salty.

It seems like every time the wind kicks up, Oya demands to be worn. I find it works well with the tempestuous NorCal weather :P

I love Oya, but that's not what I'm thinking. Will have to try Tempest and Lightning...

Definately Lightning! For me it's a combo of air and water. Just perfect. There's also Thunder Moon out which is a little softer. But if you're looking for something more atmosphere-like, go for Lightning.

Reviving this thread because we're in for several days of warm rain, and it took me ages to decide what to wear today... I didn't want anything too floral - the humidity seems to over-amp things like Her Voice - nor did I want the stereotypically "fresh" hot weather scents... I settled on Harikata, and it's working beautifully - it's echoing the dampness, with enough warmth & sweetness to keep the blahs at bay. The florals are soft but wafting heavily - I didn't apply much, but I'm getting way more throw than usual. If this weather keeps up, I'm thinking Tamamo-no-mae, Tsadikim Tistarim, Caliban... the more botanical, less "perfumey" scents in my collection. Maybe Clio & Calliope, too...

Phantasm is one of the (regrettably only two) scents I own, and I picked it because out-of-the-bottle it had a strong, airy, sharp 'storm' feel to it. I wouldn't call it a 'warm rain' scent, though. More the cold winter storm.

I've really been wanting to find that perfect - it smells like rain - scent. I tried Lightning, Tempest, Thunder Moon - so far Tempest is closest but still not perfect. I need to try Szepasszony and I'm wondering about June Gloom. I haven't actually read much on the notes/reviews, but it seems likely. Thunder Moon was too cologne for me. I do love Caliban, but its not rain.Anyone else have one that smells like - rain, storm, air, water, earth, grass, heat - I don't even know how you would do that... but if it can happen, I think it will happen at BPAL and I will buy it all /wicked =)

If that perfect rain isn't out there yet, I sure hope to see it.

I've really been wanting to find that perfect - it smells like rain - scent. I tried Lightning, Tempest, Thunder Moon - so far Tempest is closest but still not perfect. I need to try Szepasszony and I'm wondering about June Gloom. I haven't actually read much on the notes/reviews, but it seems likely. Thunder Moon was too cologne for me. I do love Caliban, but its not rain.Anyone else have one that smells like - rain, storm, air, water, earth, grass, heat - I don't even know how you would do that... but if it can happen, I think it will happen at BPAL and I will buy it all /wicked =)

If that perfect rain isn't out there yet, I sure hope to see it.

IMO Stormclouds Over the Midway captures that "rainy" scent perfectly....but as of yet there are only a couple of reviews :P

I prefer to wear scents that compliment the rain, because I always smell citrus or cologne in scents that are supposed to smell like rain, and I've never smelled a scent that actually smelled anything like it.

I wear either Blue Moon, White Moon, or Black Moon when it's raining out. It makes me celebrate the weather rather than feeling gloomy about it!

It rained here yesterday, for just a couple of minutes, big drops I knew wouldn't last, but still, amazingly unexpected here in northern California in the summer -- we normally wouldn't get any rain until autumn. The sweet sweet scent of the blissful rain hitting the hot earth, the dry grass, the thirsty trees, was swooningly delicious. I kept thinking how much I would LOVE a BPAL scent like this, even just to smell out of the bottle if it didn't work on my skin. I've tried almost all the rain scents, none of them were quite it, so I thought I'd bump this thread and keep those suggestions coming! :P

Edited to add a bit, now that I skimmed again through this whole thread -- the scent I crave isn't just rain. It's rain on dry grass, releasing that sweet hay smell with a moistness that also smells a bit like stone, cool water falling on hot stone. I'm not asking for much, am I?

Edited by oakmoss