Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I'm looking for the smell you find when you walk outside after a heavy spring rainstorm--not a thunderstorm, just rain, clean and cold and soaking absolutely everything. Afterwards, it's misty and cool and water droplets still seem to hang in the air, accompanied by the green scent of grass and the fresh dark earthiness of wet soil. A bit rainforest-y, but not as warm. I don't want heavy florals, just a very very wet drenched-plant smell. Floral notes are fine as long as they're just in the background and aren't overpowering.

Hi, fellow newbie here. I've been browsing the reviews section a lot lately, and a few came to mind when I saw your question.

Dublin (Wanderlust) is described by the lab as "The scent of misty forests, damp alder leaf, and the gentlest touch of white rose."

Comments from BPALers include "a walk in the forest early in the morning when the dew is still clinging to the leaves"; "a cold wood on a misty morning, utterly fresh and stunning and clean and cool"; "exactly like putting your nose up to a silver birch covered in moss and lichen"; and "How Beth managed to work the scent of fog into Old Dublin, I have no idea."

You might also be interested in Oberon (Illyria) which is described by one reviewer as "Woodsy, but in a wild stormy way."

Edited by styro

these are ones i consider to be floral/rainy scents (some are slightly more aquatic than others):

empyreal mist, lightning, tempest*, ulalume, szepasszony, desdemona, danube

*especially a lot.

I haven't tried enough BPALs to offer a suggestion, although I do like Thunderbird very much for that.

But in the non-BPAL world, I must confess that Demeter's Rain (or Gentle Rain; I can't remember which it goes by these days) is marvelous. Not for everyone, though, some have reported smelling like a beach after a summer storm (which is NOT a good smell: think seaweed and dead fish) when wearing it. Fortunately, on me, it smells very fresh and clean.

Based on what I'm reading here, it definitely sounds like I should give Szepasszony a shot.

Edited by hangingfire

I will second Ulalume as a rain-scent. I also tend to like Bewitched and Lampades for days like that, although really I like those two enough to wear them just about any time.

Conversely, if I want to feel warmer and sunnier on a rainy day, instead of just going with the raininess, Aglaea is my top pick.

Shattered works well with the rain.

To feel warmer and sunnier, as stated above, I'll wear Cerberus (:P), Dorian, Alice, or Lotus Moon.

I'm seconding Alice and Dorian as rainy day oils not because they smell like rain, but because they smell how rainy days feel. Give em a try!

Do you know what he was allergic to? The aquatics, or something else.

The sweet pea, I think.

I'm seconding Alice and Dorian as rainy day oils not because they smell like rain, but because they smell how rainy days feel. Give em a try!

Those are some of my favorites!

Never tried them as rainy scents....

I third, fourth or fifth the recommendation for Dorian - that is my go-to scent for dreary days, or when I need comfort - it just makes me feel happier...I'm wearing it today, as its been stormy here all day.

I like Dragon's Milk for a cold/rainy day scent. It is so warm and rich and lovely that it smells to me like how curling up at home with hot cocoa on a very snowy day feels. Does that make sense?

:P

I don't have any specific rainy day scents, but I've found there are a lot of scents I cannot wear when it rains-specifically morocco, yerevan and dragon moon. Something about the humidity makes these scents intolerable on me. Sad.

We often have rainy autumns. I've been wearing my Samhains (04 and 05) more, recently, so I guess I'm thinking seasonal. I've also had Lenore in the rotation, and Alone, PP#5, and Haunted Palace. We've had a few sunny days to enjoy Harvest Moon between the several-day stretch bouts of rain and grey weather.

I can't wear 99% of aquatics. Alas, so rainy rainy-day blends are out.