Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

Two, Five & Seven

A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose…
…and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

for several years i was quite addicted to Yves Rocher's Moroccan Rose line. so, of course, they discontinued it.... since then i've been trying to find a new rose scent that didn't smell like soap, plastic, or too "old" for me...

avon's "roses, roses" (which, of course, is also discontinued) is close, but smells so....fake. and Planetary Perfumes' "Victorian Rose" is delicious but doesn't last long on me....

and then i found this one! this is the perfect rose blend. enough green that it still smells *real* (leaves, stems, dirt)

i'm so glad i have a bottle, although my next order will also include a 10mL of this. or two. i know its a GC scent but i'm so afraid it'll be taken away...

i love me the smell of roses... a LOT. but after the disappointment of Rose Red (i TRIED to love it! too "green" for me), and the LOVE LOVE LOVE obsession I now have with Peacock Queen... I was curious to try me a new BPAL rose scent... Luckily, this was sent to me as a frimp! hooray!

At first, it WAS Rose Red. I smelled the green that I didn't care for mixed in with the rose... but that was gone in 2 seconds flat after being on my skin. It then turned to a rose... a TRUE rose, but NOT Peacock Queen HEAVY rose. It was lighter. like PQ subdued? Which is perfect, because I love love LOVE (did I mention I loved?) PQ, but it is very strong, and maybe not for every day wear (even though I've been doing it). This is a lighter alternative, and I'm so happy to have it!!

:P

It's hard to get an authentic, garden fresh rose smell. I know, because it's been a search of mine for years. Luckily I have my own garden of wonderful roses: teas, hybrids, English, Chinese, etc. that fill that earthly desire for one of Mother nature's more potent scents. However, they last for such a short while, and then it's back to searching again...

So I welcomed the chance to try TWO, FIVE and SEVEN with an urgency that almost made me spill my sample. As soon as I opened the vial, I was hit by a musty rose scent, akin to letting roses sit in water for a few days. It was not the most pleasant of scents, perhaps every vinegary. I hesitated to put it on skin as i already was somewhat put off by the initial whiff. However, once on the skin, it changed. 30 seconds passed and i was hit by a waft of rose scent as though I had just handled a bunch of roses from different varietals- each sniff caught a different type of rose. I was perplexed, intrigued and somewhat taken aback at how much the scent developed as it dried.

A minute passed and I finally picked up the touch of green, as a final note. It was really like having just arranged a whole bunch of roses by an open window, and catching their scent off a light breeze. Amazingly complex scent.

In the end, I would recommend it, but must add that users be ginger in application. Too much of a good thing is not good at all, so restraint is best when using TWO, FIVE and SEVEN.

The first time I put it on, it was super sweet at first but mellowed to sweet rosey after 15 min. The second time I put it on, it stayed yucky sweet and got no roses...made me nauseous and had to wash it off. I don't understand what is going on here...

But all these wonderful reviews are making me feel like I must certainly have gotten a bad imp and that I need to try it again.

Edited by gloom & doom bear

What do these-- blush roses, tea roses, fresh roses, a florist's rose cooler, garden roses under the hot sun, half-blown roses, well-dried roses, old roses, dewy roses, roses after rain, heirloom roses, and the aforementioned roses of the description-- have in common?

The inside of this bottle. When I uncapped it to take a sniff, I was damn near blown away by all of the roses vying for my attention. They're unruly, demanding, rampant, sweet-- I could 'taste' them at the middle and back of my nasal passage, as well as the middle-third hollow of my tongue-- and slightly astringent to the nose, with a sharp freshness and vitality I attribute to that "itty bitty bit of green grass."

Wet: Oh my oh my. It's difficult to pick out any one note, but the 'moister', dewier roses are dominating, with a hell of a throw. The wind today sent killer wafts of rich scent to my nose... and my hands were nowhere near my face. Dry, the more mature roses come out to play, with a slightly spicy undertone; the smell is sweeter now, and grows even more so, taking on the wine note over the next five hours even as the throw diminishes. What I was left with at the end is something I can only describe as a secret rose, hidden at the far reaches of the garden, worth seeking out at the close of the day. Very sensual... as though, upon kissing one's beloved between her breasts, one caught a tendril of the perfume she'd dabbed there hours before.

The above was originally posted to my LiveJournal on 16 May 2006. After more than a month, all I can say is this: the more I wear Two, Five & Seven, the more I adore it. I get a slightly different intensity from each of the varied roses each time, yet a consistent sweet, winy, intimate finish. Buying a 5ml of this on description alone was one of the best impulse purchases of my life.

Wow, yes, rose. I really do like rose although I don't wear rose notes all that much. This rose has something cool about it. Like eviltemptressdq said, it isn't as heavy as the peacock queen, but it is that type of a rose scent, if that makes any sense. Hmm. I really should start wearing more rose.

ETA: It goes much sweeter later on.

Edited by brownbear

I can't believe this works on me! Rose almost always goes funky on my skin, which is why I never bothered to try this. I got a frimp of it with my last lab order and WOW! This is beautiful! It's what I always wanted roses to smell like on me!

It's rose with a bit of sweetness, almost a bit of juciness too. Lovely! If rose usually goes wonky on you- give this one a try. :P

It's cooled down a bit here, so I can finally start sniffing my latest huge BPAL order... Yay! :P

Imp: Fresh roses, but they're underlying something wet - maybe moss?

Wet: The grass starts to peek out, the roses turn sweeter.

Dry: The grassy scent becomes stronger, the scent turns drier. There are lots and lots of roses all over my skin, but not too overpowering, sweet but clean. It's even a bit soapy for a while.

Overall: I love roses, and this is just lovely. As with most flowery scents, it smells a bit like soap on my skin at first - but those sweet, many-colored roses growing in an English spring garden win out in the end. Love it!

Two Five & Seven - If you love rose, this is a pretty rose scent. With a multitude of various rose scents, this is all rose. It's not an aromatic, heady rose, but it's soft and delicately sweet. On my skin, it has a modicum of throw and the staying power is moderate. I think this would be a gorgeous scent to mix in with an unscented shower gel. This is a very pretty rose, although not my favorite among BPAL roses. I have a couple of favorites, and whenever I'm in the mood for rose, I am drawn to my favorites, so I don't know if I will keep this, although it certainly is pretty.

Bottle: rose, but inexpressibly sweet.

Wet: wiiine *whines* ruins blends for me, yes it does. Still almost sickly-sweet, and a little sour edge that's the wiiine...

Dry: slightly more rose, slightly less sweet, no grass.

Later: Everyone else gets rose, rose, rose from this - and frustratingly enough I don't. Now it's faded into some sort of vague sweetness that isn't pretty, not one bit. Off with it's head!!! :P

Two, Five & Seven

Fantastic! I love the smell of roses but they go to powder on my skin. Two, Five & Seven is very rosy, but with enough fresh/green notes to keep it from turning to powder.

i like some rose scents, but generally they are of the dusky/spicy variety. two five and seven is too...youthful for me, for lack of a better word. it's very sweet like rose candy, something i am not too keen to smell like.

ETA: now it has a bubblyness to it, like if they made a bubbly rose water, this is what it would smell like. better than before, but still too sweet for me.

Edited by theseagrows

Wet - What? This smells EXACTLY like a Strawberry Shortcake doll. I mean the faux strawberry scent, the plastic the doll is made of, the fibers that make up her hair, the starch on her outfit, the twist ties that held her securely in the box. The whole thing. Weird!

But dry and warm, it's more like rosewater, the scent of fresh garden rose, and the green scent of the stem and petals, too. Very Clean and fun to wear. For a scent that has about 7 rose notes in it, the Rose isn't overwhelming!

Source: Imp

Initial Impressions All those roses and no one to smell them…

Bottle: Sugary, sickly sweet, but no way I’m deterred! A bit strong and there’s a weird numbing scent going on.

Wet: Oh, wow. Roses, roses, roses, lots of ‘em! It smells like a big bouquet of colorful roses and it smells rich and sweet with none of the same sickly sugar going on in the first sniff. It almost kind of (I know, I know, cheap) blooms on your wrist. I don’t get woman-rose; I get impetuous rose, curious rose, little-girl-lady rose.

Drydown: It has a surprisingly strong throw! I could smell it wafting up to my nose with my wrists by my side, and it was nice in that I could smell it even as I was riding my bike to work. Would it have been too much rose if there wasn’t the green grass to cut it down? I wonder…

Dry: Strong throw, but low staying power. Two hours later, I can barely smell it on my wrist. Faint rose scent, like a dying rose potpourri bag.

Overall: I’m going to get a bottle, even with the low staying power. It’s a wonderful, gorgeous, young scent and it makes me feel softly girlish and luminescent, which is grown increasingly the way I feel in Japan. I’ve heard of the magic of aging, so I think I’ll try that out.

In the imp: extremely sweet, shifting sort of blend

Wet: roses that keep morphing… slightly sharp/spicy, very, very sweet, nearly candy-like scent

Dry: the blend has thickened and deepened, losing that intense sweetness and becoming heavier, more generically "perfume-y"… it's not as complex as I'd expect it to be… A pretty, girlish kind of scent, but not one that I'd ever be tempted to use as a signature fragrance. Into the swaps pile it goes!

Two five and seven was a cacophany of oversweetness. I was expecting essence of rose, something a bit more like Rose Red, but instead I got a sickly-sweet floral candy scent, which didn't even really smell of roses.

This one did not work on my skin.....off to swap.

Rose, rose, rose! Right out of the bottle, this smelled a little fake, a little 'perfume-y'. But as it dried it got a lot more natural and now smells just like the big peachy-pink roses on the bush my neighbours have. Ah, heaven... *sigh* I couldn't pick up the green note at all, though.

Oh yes, rose! This is a much greener rosy scent compared to Rose Red (which is my ultimate rose scent). Two, Five & Seven is like smelling a huge rose garden full of different types of roses. Lots and lots of roses. This lightens up with wear and that's when the green comes out. Love the roses. :P

:P"Painting the roses red. We're painting the roses red. We dare not stop or waste a drop. So let the paint be spread! We're painting the roses red..." :D

I'm very picky about my florals and I was crossing my fingers that I would go gaga over this one like I did London.

In the Imp: Gah, that's sweet! Sweet, cloying roses and no hint of the green grass. It's like sticking your nose into a bowl of rose-scented popourri with extra rose petals and rose buds.

Initial Wet: A lot of very sweet, wet roses. Not a bouquet of roses, but a very 'generic' rose scent that reminds me of overdone room spray.

Initial Dry: Okay, it's calmed down a bit and the green grass is starting to peek through and it smells less like room spray and more like a bunch of different rose bushes, which is what I was looking for.

Drier Dry: Much nicer and exactly what I was hoping for. A lot of the sweetness has faded and it smells like wandering through a rose garden on a warm afternoon.

The Drier Dry effect is the scent that I like the best, but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait through the couple of hours of sweet rose to get there. I think I'll stick to London for my preferred rose scent, but I think I'm keeping this imp for those moments when I'm in the mood for something sweet, but not foody.

I got this in a swap along with four others. I knew one of them was a rose one but from sniffing the imps I couldn't tell which...

It does smell floral but also sweet, fruity. Now that it's on my wrist it does smell more rosy but it definitely smells fruity too. Like apricots or peach schnaps. It's definitely not the pure rose I was expecting.

Having said that, I do rather like it. It's a bright, happy, spring-summer scent. Not sure I'd get a whole bottle but will definitely enjoy using up this imp.

ROSE! Rose rose rosy rose. Or, roses, roses, and more roses. Beth has somehow squished an entire rose garden into an itty bitty imp. This isn't a dry rose nor an old lady's rose. This is big, fat, full-blown rose blooms. White roses, pink roses, pretty red roses, yellow roses, parti-colored roses as big as your hands. Row after row of rose bushes.

In the imp it's definately rose but a little 'watery'. Eh, oils usually smell a little wet to me. On the drydown I sometimes get a whiff of the green grass, but dry this is all fresh rose blooms. Playful, slightly silly roses.

Edited by SmileCat

Rose to the third power, yes! This scent is exactly how others have described it: rosy, wet, green, lush, ROSEROSEROSE. I really did not care much for rose formulations prior to BPAL, but Beth is truly an artist when it comes to florals, and roses seem to be her specialty! Wonderful scent for true-blue rose lovers and those apprehensive about roses alike.

I got this as a frimp with a purchase and crossed my fingers as I tried it, hoping against hope that it'd be a rose scent I could wear and not pass out with a pounding headache...

aaand I didn't pass out with a headache. but it's not rose. I can't describe it, it's just not rose!

I'm so disappointed!

I was talking to a friend when I first tried this on, after a very loooong series of 'no's, and quite literally, all that came out was:

Oh. OH MY GOD. OOOOOOH MY GOD. OH, WOW. :P

...Which is a pretty good description for it.

This smells like candy in the imp, and I had to double-check the ingredients list to be sure it was actually supposed to be rose. Dabbed it on and -- WOW. So sweet and lovely. I couldn't even smell the rose at first, it was so overpowered by the sweetness. Then the rose started coming out, and it is so beautiful. I don't like florals, but this has just that tinge of sweetness (no longer candy sweet, but plant-sweet) that makes it lovely.

Definitely a giant bottle. I wish the lab still produced 10 mls!

this is very strange - this is the second scent I have tried today that has had an expensive commercial perfume feel to it.

Wet - this is a sharp, bitter rose - but that goes away rather quickly.

Dry - my goodness this is a morpher! Everytime I smell my wrist it is a different version of fresh or wet new rose - which is very cool!

When this first dried down all I could think of was the big bottle of the limited edition Yves Saint Laurent Paris Roses de Vergers that is sitting in my bedroom. I am a total sucker for anything rose and between the YSL and Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais I think I have the "green" rose covered.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great scent for those who are rose whores like myself, but I find that because I am quite fond of the two commercials mentioned above because they were the first ones that fit the "greener" bill for me and I love then to death. And I cannot justify another one similar the two I have.

This is a beauty though!

I am still on the quest for the deep, bloody red, heavy, almost comatose rose scent...