Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

Two, Five & Seven

A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose…
…and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

I think at this point my review is redundant, but I'll throw it in anyways! :D

HOLY ROSES! This is strong, gorgeous, almost mouthwatering. Not your gramma's roses. Sweet, fresh, and dewy. Baby roses, barely ripe. This bodies out strongly when you wear it, and is just the right temperament. Never goes powdery, and the tiny peeks of green grass make me so happy. I. Love. This. And so does my boy. A 5ml is essential. :P

Wet: Fruity, edible rose

Dry: All rose, no discernible grass

Finish: Rose

Duration/throw: Not as rowdy as some of the other rose-dominant scents (Whip, I'm looking at you) but nice enough. It did a little wafting early on, but was down to the wrist by the 5 hour point.

I liked 2,5,and 7, but not enough to put it in the keeper pile. I've discovered I like my rose to be blended with something else, so 2,5,and 7 can't really compete with the likes of Venice or Parlement of Foules.

Wet: ZOMG Rose bush!

Drydown: Yeah, no. It's a massive bouquet of crazy, thorny roses that's making my nose dribble. It does smell very much like a rel rose garden, just not one I want to sit in for very long since my eyes are watering. Too true to life for me, but my mom would love this.

Verdict: Not Medici's cup o' tea.

It's a rosebush alright... I love a lot of Beth's rose blends, and while this is pretty. It really isn't me. I much prefer Rose Red, Peacock Queen, Peony Moon, and Ace of Hearts to this one.

On me: Fresh roses, an assortment of them. I can smell a sweeter tearose most on me w/ the green notes weaving throughout. While nice on me, just not doing anything special to warrent a bottle. Might keep the imp to use in my burner..

3/5

Imp: Dear god, ROSES!

Wet: Very strong roses with something green in the background.

Fifteen minutes: The greenness has moved to the fore, but the roses are still very strong, as if vying for my attention and threatening to stomp out the grassy note.

Throw is decent, but mostly because of the bloody roses!

I really wanted to love this, but goodness, the roses are so strong... I think I might have to pass this on if they don't quiet down.

Edited by Alseides

Two, Five, and Seven is the Parade of Roses on my skin. As soon as it touches my skin, it smells like a different rose each time I take a whiff. Once dry, its a sweet pink rose scent (not sugar sweet like Hope, just a naturally sweet rose). I don't get any grass and its not an overwhelming scent - regular throw and staying power.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Impressions: Hot, bright, rose. Vicious and red.

On the Skin: The rose softens, becomes pale and light. The scent is still strong, but not nearly as violent.

Dry: Too much rose!

Mature: It mellows signifigantly. The rose loses it's chemical quality and becomes velvetty.

Several hours later: The scent is nearly gone. A soft, vague, impression of blisteringly white roses.

Over all: Too strong for my tastes. Rose and I rarely get along, and in this case it was a furious battle not to scrub it off.

Buyability: While I enjoy the strength and complexity of this scent as a remarkable work of art, I will not be picking up a full bottle.

Two, Five Seven is my favorite of all of BPAL's rose scents - it smells just like a rose garden in summer, with a wide variety of variatals (red roses have never been my favorite), and the scent of dewy fresh mown grass. It is such a wonderful, summery combination...just perfect.

Wet: this is VERY sweet. It's so sugary that it's a bit overpowering.

Dry: now this is gorgeous. It smells like roses after they've bloomed with the slightest green note like fresh cut flowers. It's not sweet the way it was wet, and this doesn't turn powdery on me like some of the rose scents do. It's definitely a keeper.

The throw is excellent and it lasts for hours.

Roses, roses. and more roses. The predominant rose seems to be damascan. A lovely scent if you love roses and crave something more in a soliflore.

In the imp and on my skin, Two, Five & Seven is roses galore! :P Tea rose comes off the strongest, but that's probably because I used to wear tea rose perfume. Still, this is better -- fuller, more bodied. I can't detect any grass, but I think if I let the imp age, it might come out.

This is going on my wishlist of 5 ml bottles for sure.

I am a fiend for roses. It is literally my middle name. Rose perfume, rose lotion, real roses, fake roses, roses, roses, roses. I bought Two, Five & Seven by sheer reflex.

Wet:

It's an assualt. The scent is highly concentrated and quite sharp, but very sweet as well. I smell some strong rose scents, but when I think I fixate on just one, it gives way to another.

On my skin:

The scent is heavy and sweet, but fading quickly (scents don't stay long on my skin). Roses, roses, roses, and still just a profusion. I smell red rose and strong tea rose, but that's not everything. There are sharper fragrances there too as you inhale. It's changing all the time. But the grass is also there, some fresh scent mingled with the rest, sort of sneaking between the roses. I smell it just as I pull back from my wrist.

This is absolutely horrid on me. I ordered it because I love roses, and it was a severe disappointment.

Fresh in the imp, it reeks of nail polish remover. That note didn't go away the entire time I was wearing it.

To be honest, the scent nauseates me. I'm not sure what went wrong! I was so sad, because I love roses so much. I don't know what was different about this blend...I love other rose scents, like Hope, Alice, and Eve. Maybe it's the grass? Whatever it was, I definitely did not like it one bit! :P

Ooof! I opened the imp, and the roses jumped out and decked me. :P I don't get any green, nothing but rose, rose, rose. Even when I had on an itsy tiny dab so that I could barely smell it, it was fainter but still a sensory assault.

I must confess I'm a bit of a rose-a-phile. I instinctively hoard the Fresh Cut Roses Yankee candles and tend to sniff every single rose at the grocery store. Coupled with the Alice in Wonderland theme and I was sold on Two Five Seven. It was actually my very first purchase from BPAL and I couldn't be happier. Straight from the bottle I actually found it very sickly sweet and I worried it might be a little too sweet for me. As it dried I was enamored. It made me dizzy! (in a good way :P) Gone were the fears it might turn into a powdery old lady smell. Every so often I will catch a whiff and wonder what smells so wonderful and then I realize it's the oil! Nums. I just want to dot it on everything I have. I love wearing it to bed and smelling my wrist as I drift off to sleep. Love love LOVE it!

There is not much that I can add, except the fact that pure roses are a problem for me because they tend to smell like rose air freshener or insecticide. It's very unusual that a rose scent smells on me like real roses do. 2, 5, 7 is no exception.

The good thing about this one, though, is that it is excellent for layering with boring non-bpal floral fragrances. The problem is not the rose, but the absurd concentration :P

It's not Rose Red but was it ever going to be really? :P

Nethertheless, this is now my second favourite rose blend. It's very sweet, almost like a candied rose. I don't get any green at all but that doesn't bother me too much. It takes a bit of settling down once applied, but once it does and the roses start to bloom it is very lovely indeed.

Summery and pretty. Kinda like Rose Red's playful little sister. :D

Thanks to the Lab for the frimp.

Imp: Unlike some of the other BPAL rose blends, this one is so incredibly sweet. Not a sugary sweetness, but such an enormous bouquet of roses that their inherent sweet quality is all I can fathom.

Skin: I get a bit of the green edge, but just the slightest hint.

Drydown: This does not vary in strength or intensity. If you want a real ROSE then this is the one. Or should I say. . .these are it.

In the imp: Rose with a tiny touch of green underneath.

Wet: Rose

Drydown: Rose

Dry: All rose baby. I can't tell the difference between one rose and another, all I know that this is rose. Unfortunately I do not like rose so this never had a chance.

This smelled so unlike rose in the vial, I'm not sure what was going on there. It was too sweet for me, in a cloying way. On my skin however it morphs into actual roses, sweet light roses. It almost turns into rose soap, but then quickly turns away from that (thank the gods). This isn't an intense or heavy rose scent (it's actually a bit too light for me, I'm a rose fiend), but it's really not bad at all. It still however has a bit of that cloying sweetness which is turning me off.

Edited by porcelain

In the imp: Sharp, green.

Wet: Bug repellent.

Drydown: It takes me a fairly long time to get roses out of this; what has to burn off is the identical note that messes up Rose Cross for me. I really hoped this would be magic, the way it seems to be for so many others, but those two blends seem to share a note that absolutely plays hideously with my skin. By the time that finally goes, the remaining roses are so faint and so close to my skin as to make this nearly pointless to apply. Off with its head -- er, off to swaps!

In the bottle:...Slightly odd, all I can think is...Lemony-roses, maybe?

On my skin: Well, there go the roses. :D All I can smell is sour lemongrass.

The drydown: I was hoping and praying that the roses were going to come back....The scent never changed.

This isn't fair! I wanted me some roses! :P

Edit Sept. 25: After about...two months, the roses have decided to come out and play! It's still not my ideal rose scent, but now at least they're there.

Edited by Jia_Mekare

In the imp, this had a sharp, almost vinegar-y smell. That dissipates as soon as it goes on my skin though. I put a wee dab on my thumb to test it and within about a minute it had turned into the loveliest rose fragrance you can imagine -- this coming from someone who's sick of roses! It brings up a perfect mental image of tightly curled and brightly coloured rosebuds sprinkled with dewdrops, but with a stronger and more glorious scent than any roses you'd encounter in real life. This is love :P

I've been wary of rose scents since I tried Persephone and a few other commercial ones (tea rose just overpowered everything to the point of nausea). 2/5/7 is completely different! It's a real rose garden, not those powdery imitations that you find in old lady perfumes and fabric flowers. It's fresh and bright and wonderfully green and pretty. I am definitely keeping this one.

Edited by Underline2

Well thank goodness roses work on me! My skin loves roses, especially the bold, over the top kind like in this blend. It's very vibrant and so strong, I can't help but feel pampered when I wear this. I like that these smell like fresh cut too, rather than the dry or aged kind. It might have otherwise been too much like potpourri or air freshener. Instead, it's lush and feminine. I only have an imp of this, but I will add it to my big bottle wishlist!