Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

Okay, here's a bit of background info:

Most of my life, I've worn "traditional" flowery perfumes. Lately, I've turned to wearing a lot of resiny/incensey scents, especially those containing Dragon's Blood(my absolute favorite single note). I tend to like sweet-ish scents, that are pervasive but not intrusive.

Now, I have always been wary of wearing foody scents. I was even hesitant to order Snake Oil due to its vanilla content, which I thought would be too foody for my tastes. :P Silly, I know. lol Anyway, I've discovered that I don't mind wearing it at all, and I get a really good response from others when I'm wearing it.

Sooo, I've decided to venture a bit further into the Gourmand category, but I want to start out light. I want something (or things, lol) either decidedly foody or just with Gourmand influences, but I don't want to smell like a restaurant kitchen or anything...too much...like that! You know what I mean? :D

I've been reading reviews like crazy, but it's oh-so-hard to decide. Anybody have any suggestions of foody scents for me to start off with?

Edited by ivyandpeony
split out large thread so edited title

This is my first-favorite category -- I've been turned on to the floral and resiny ones since finding these perfumes, the reverse of you. I just tried Dragon's Milk, and you _must_ try this one. I predict you'll adore it.

I also love Tamora (warm golden sweetness, some have smelled peach), Carnivale, Eclipse...

give O a whirl, everyone loves it -- amber honey and vanilla. And I haven't yet smelled Velvet (cocoa and sandalwood)_or Seraglio (almond, rose and orange?) but I think they'd be what you're looking for. :P

Besides the ones already mentioned, Velvet has a very subtle chocolate scent (I don't like chocolate smells as perfumes but I LOVE Velvet), Katharina has a lovely apricot top note, and Tarot: The Moon has a great subtle coconutty fragrance. Siren also has a great apricot/ginger scent that's not too sweet. I love ALL of these fragrances.

Also, if you like Snake Oil, you really should try Dana O'Shee... another favorite of mine. It's gentler but still has that foody twist.

I have to recommend Imp. To me it counts as foody because it makes me want to bite my wrists when I sniff them. Not only that, when I first tried it and held out my wrist for my boyfriend to smell he sniffed and then got confused and almost bit me. That was a little bit weird, and exciting all at once.

Imp is my favorite!

I liked O, but have to admit that it just wasn't enough for me to keep around just yet. I am very fond of Tamora, as well as Carnivale. March Hare is very apricot and very yummy too. And as twistygirl said, Dana O'Shee. I'm wearing it now, in fact .. and -YUM!- *grins*

Edited by TygherRayn

While I adore Hellcat, it may be a bit too sweet if you aren't sure if you like foody. Carnivale is lovely, though.

Oh, give Endymion a try! It's got this gorgeous floral scent to it, with strong notes of pear (which mix so well!)... And I suspect that once Beth comes out with Titiania (which has fruit/floral notes in it) that you'll love that also!

Also, give Dragon's Heart a whirl. It's got some fig notes in it that aren't recognizably foody, but give it a nice sweet edible smell to top off those heavy resiny scents.

It sounds like we have fairly similar tastes, Morrighana.

I would recommend:

Dragon's Milk: it is kind of uber-sweet, but it is still nice - I layer with this one a good bit. If I'm not crazy about a scent I layer with Dragon's Milk to see if that helps!

Black Lotus: though not technically a gourmand scent, the combination of lotus and myrrh smells a little foody to my nose.

Wrath: warm cinnamon goodness!

I have discovered that the scents that contain lime really end up working well on me, making scents that are normally unwearable gorgeous with my skin chemistry (though I can generally never smell the lime once it is on!). The other end of the spectrum is cherry, which can turn even the best notes into... well, cherry! I would suggest experimenting with a few different elements and see what works for you!

On me:

Alice

Bliss

Carnivale

Dragon's Milk

Gluttony

Jezebel

Persephone

Tamora

Venus

Vice

I hope you find something that suits you. :P

Edited by riddel

The Hesperides -- caramel appley goodness

Yemaya -- watermelon at the beach

Bliss -- chocolate, chocolate, more chocolate

Velvet -- creamy hot chocolate

Scherezade & (Old) Morocco remind me of cooking spice

Dragon's Milk -- an extra-sweet vanilla + dragon's blood [kind of a sweet, sweet floral on me, but rather foody]

ETA: Dana O'Shee and Sudha Segara

Edited by pekeana

Jack for sure..it's amazing creamy and one day, just one day I'll even try to eat it! :P

Bliss smells exactly like a fudge brownie in the imp, but I haven't tried it on yet to see what my skin turns it in to. :D

If you can find it Spooky needs to be added, that's a blooming delicious scent. Like rum laced sugar cookies drizzled in Peppermint and Mocha. I'm so sad it's not back this year :P All of the others are great but I'd add Lampades (Cranberry & Orange) to that list as well.

After falling in love with Samhain, I've found myself longing for more complex, nuanced, slightly "gourmand" scents. Dia de los Muertos sounds right up my alley; Mabon might be. Any others people could recommend? =0)

I was actually going to suggest DDLM. I haven't tried Samhain yet...and I haven't yet received Centzon Totochtin, but it sounds like it may be complex.

You might like Tarot: The world

Very complex and there is a hint of someting gourmand, like a bit chocolate/cinnamon.

the living flame has a gourmandy action going on during part of it's development, but there's also florals and musks, so if you're not a fan of those...