Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Haunted

A mournful, poignant scent, thick with foreboding. Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

Oof, I actually get more musk than amber when I sniff this in the imp. I have the feeling this is going to go completely powdery on my skin.

Yes, this is a very very powdery amber with strong black musk. Gah, unfortunately when it dries it starts to smell like a wet towel...kind of mildewy. Eeee. Chloriney...no good! I think the black musk just kills this for me, and the amber went uber powdery. To ye olde swaps it goes! Edited by Suu4LC

I had a dream the other night that I was working for someone famous and we were at some event with swag. There was this bottle of perfume with an oval shaped bottle and a blue top, and I tried it on. The way it smelled in my dream was like this smells on me. Spooky!

it does smell a lot like Shalimar (yea! My mom wore it growing up so loves!) but in a less commercial way.

wet/in the imp: amber.

dry: amber and small bits of musk

much later: sweet amber

i made the boy sniff this one, he really loves any thing heavy on the amber. this one smells just my SN amber that i've had for 4+ years. i don't get as much musk as i thought i would get, mostly its just sweet golden amber.

this is probably a purchase since i love amber.

In the Imp

Hmm! Smells warm. Maybe floral. I knew I wanted to try this for ages and can't quite remembr why-- it doesn't stand out when opened, but what the hey...

On Me

ARRRRRRGH! Fucken A! This was why I wanted to try it: it's amber and musk and the throw is amazing and damn, this is sexy perfume and I feel like an absolute goddess wearing it. Partner says there's flowers in there. I'm not sure. Let's check the BPAL website-- I'm right.

After a few minutes, there's a faint paperbarky smell appearing underneath the musk and the amber, but largely, it's amber and black musk dominating, and it smells regal, sexeh and utterly divine. I want to bathe in this stuff.

Initial thoughts: I don't seem to have a huge amount of luck with the Ars Moriendi scents, and although this one seems like it could be quite good on me, I worry that it's going to be a little too simple and boring for my tastes.

In the imp: Amber, check. Musk, check. Soft and dark and a little bit cold.

On the wrist, wet: Very soft, not quite sweet - the amber is gentle and smooth, and the musk makes it warm and a little bit heady. It's quite faint on me, and due to the amber I'm half expecting an incense edge that isn't going to happen. The musk has got an almost tingly, herbal quality to it.

Twenty minutes later: This is a little bit odd - I'm not sure I approve of the way heavy musks behave on my skin. It's not exactly unpleasant - it's just not for me.

Verdict: Swap pile

Tl;Dr: Soft, gentle amber and warm dark musk.

Just a twinge more pungent than I usually wear, but it's interesting. Smells very slightly orange-ish and slightly burnt. It’s not the dark musky scent I was hoping for when I tried it. Although I don’t mind this scent, I don’t think it’s something I’d wear. Something in it seems to be turning to powder on me, probably the amber.

Hi! My name is Amber and Black Musk and I will haunting you today!

In Bottle: Black Musk. Amber runs away to hide.

Wet on Skin: Amber creeps from out of the corner and pokes its head around to say hi! :D

Dry on skin: Oh...Black Musk will you have a love child with me amber? Sure they both say. They ride off into the sunset and later.....

Overall: They return with their love child Amber Lemon pledge! :P

Curtain closes and the imp is pulled off the stage by a long hook into the swap box.

In The Bottle

Musk and a touch of amber

On Application

Sweet and dry

Dry Down

Fairly linear drydown. This is quite basic musk and amber and doesn't have the X-factor for me to consider for a bottle.

Rating (0-5)

Wet: commercial perfume with a slight jolt of rootbeer.

Drying down, it goes to musk with a slight hinting of wintergreen.

Dry, it's all musk, with just a faint hint of forest. It reminds me a lot of Hunter's Moon, but has a bit more staying power on me than Hunter's Moon.

I luuuurve amber so had to try this.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with this but, when I first apply it I get this damp smell which I've smelled in a few other blends. It's like someone trod on some flowers in the rain and mixed them with musk.. I don't like it at all..

When it's drier, this is much much nicer. That would be the gorgeous amber on my skin warming up and pushing the manky flowers out of the way and letting the musk through more too. I even at certain points get a kind of Licourice note which is very nice. It's really really lovely. And a co-worker stopped me to ask what it was.

It just softens and softens as it gets drier and drier and it just becaomes one of those scents that melts into your skin. It's really nice.

Unfotunately though, the rotten flower note is putting me off wanting to get a bottle!

For something that appears to be fairly simple in notes, this is amazing on my skin! It pops after a few seconds and turns from a light amber into a beautiful, sweet and dramatic scent. I can see this becoming a new love very quickly!

8/10. Keeper!

In the imp, I distinctly get the smell of early summer evenings. it's a hint of aloe or anti-itch gel (idk!!) that I'm getting which is so weird.

Once on, it gets oddly... sweet? It's still got this weird tang to it. I'm honestly not sure how aged this imp is, but I know it's not freshly made. lol

Oh god. What is THAT? Oh, it's the amber. Turning to baby powder. :P AND IT SMELLS LIKE DIRTY NASTY OMG WHAT. Why does it smell funky now??? Like mold or something? omg DDD: BUT I CAN'T STOP SNIFFING MY WRIST because underneath it all it's a pretty musk. Very faintly, though.

If it would just DRY NICELY, it might be worth the homg gag. :D Yeah. I don't think it's going to work out because now it's all 'grandma's perfume' and lemon cleaner-ish. :D

Sad.

Haunted sounds lovely, dark and foreboding. In the imp, it smells a bit soapy but the amber encourages me to forge forward. Wet on skin, it's all amber. Once dry, the soap returns. After a half hour, a strong vanilla aroma. No black musk. :P Disappointment...I wanted this one to work.

Imp: Pure amber.

Wet: Warm, resinous amber that rounds out into the musk. It is almost a seamless transition and keeps the amber from going powdery.

Dry: The "murky" musk starts to have a bit of a dirty scent.

Verdict: Not quite sure what I think. I'm not a fan of dirty but I love amber and this seems to work. I'll probably need to wear it again and think it over.

In the bottle, Haunted smells sweet and warm, and very slightly tangy. The sweetness is soft, and the warmth of it makes it a lovely full scent, not at all insipid.

When wet on my skin, I smell sharp anise or black licorice, which almost completely overpowers the musk. It smells like tramping down a trail overgrown with ferns and wild licorice. I wasn't at all sure I'd like it.

Almost immediately, the dry down began and the scent mellowed back to a rich, warm sweetness. The amber and a hint of vanilla made their way to the forefront of the scent.

A few hours later, the scent is soft and warm, like vanilla chai tea. It's faint, but still quite nice.

Overall, a very nice scent for someone like me who wants something slightly sweet, but not overpoweringly floral. I was afraid it would turn to baby powder on my skin because there seemed to be faint hints of it under the amber and musk during the drydown, but it mellowed out to something quite yummy. On my skin, the name Haunted is quite apt, as it isn't a strong aroma, but something I catch soft whiffs of throughout the day, then just as quickly it's almost unnoticeable again. I also got complimented on how nice I smelled while wearing this for the first time, which is always quite nice.

Haunted started out sweet amber, which was nice but kind of boring. I'd rather stick with boring, though, because it turned into a dusty, dry scent with too much sweetness. I smelled like someone's crazy grandmother - a dusty old house with too much potpourri or Yankee candles or something. Also, it hurts my nose a bit, maybe because of the dryness. I definitely pass on this one.

Wet: Woods/musk. Dry and earthy.

Dry: Dusty, dry, and musky. This calms over time to a deep, dark amber.

It's defnitely different! I like it, though I can see how many would hate it- it's heavy and completely not like a typical "perfume".

This is sooo not what I was expecting from this blend. It's the perfect vanilla. No amber, no musk, just vanilla. Dusty vanilla, but in a good way, if that makes sense.

This is a wonderful scent, but so unexpected. Wear time is decent, throw is... subtle. Like someone near you could catch a whiff of this from a few feet away, but they would think there was an open window somewhere and they had by chance caught a whiff of someone baking with vanilla a few doors down.

In the Bottle: Strong musk. I was a little hesitant to try it out because I've always been a little scared of the darker musks. Amber is beautiful on me so I decided it to give it a go anyway.

On the Wrist: Initially it smelled exactly the same as in the bottle. However, after the initial dry down the warmth of the amber began to show. Now, 30 minutes later is a warm, musky scent with just a hint what to me smells like vanilla.

Verdict: Haunted is a golden, sexy scent that manages to be both warm and melancholy at the same time. Beautiful and definitely haunting!

Well, this one was one heck of a shocker for me. In the imp and wet on skin, I could smell nothing at all. Nothing. I was beginning to think I’d gotten one of those “decanted just after cleaning the machine” scents that turn up so rarely.

But no. For about an hour, this stayed in hiding, then it started to amp and amp and amp some more! The musk blends perfectly with the amber to create a scent that’s golden, yet dark at the same time. And once it amps, it has terrific throw.

It’s probably one of the most “perfumey” BPALs I’ve ever tried, but it’s still just gorgeous and sexy and amazing. I’m adding it to my 5ml wishlist.

I really liked this. The amber note was similar to O on me. It was dark and warm. The musk added a beautiful depth to the amber, making it not so bright. I didn't get a soapy vibe here. Unfortunately, this didn't last very long on my skin, so I will try to age it and see if that helps any. Overall, I really enjoyed this blend!

Haunted

This a gorgeous oil, although it tickles my nose a bit. It was extremely musky when wet but the amber rose to the top as it dried down. After 90 minutes of wear, the musk and amber are dancing to and fro but becoming lighter and lighter. There's allmost no throw and I fear this scent may disappear completely in another hour. This one is going to need a heavier application, I fear.

It's good for a sunny November day such as today. I think it would be too heavy for spring or summer and, despite the golden amber, too sad for an overcast day.

ETA: Haunted has been on for two hours now and has turned into a soapy cologne. *cough*hack* Trade bag. :P

Edited by MelanieSuzanne

In the Bottle

Amber, lots and lots of amber.

On My Skin

It still smells like sweet amber, but now has a touch of a sour note in it and a bit of powder. Very interesting. I’m curious to see how it dries.

After a Bit

Now that it’s dry the sour scent has dissipated. Now it’s simply a powdery-amber scent.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 2.5 Throw - 4 Longevity – 4

Overall (not an average) – 2.8

Final thoughts

This scent isn’t very complex and while it’s nice I don’t picture myself reaching for it very often. It just is a tad too sweet for my liking. It’s got great throw and longevity, I’m sure amber fans would swoon for this one, but I’ll pass.