Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selune, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

This is a very tender, lyrical, fragrance and is one of my go-to scents for work. It’s unique, but understated enough that I don’t have to worry about it amping in small windowless conference rooms.

In the imp: Sweetly floral, the lily of the valley and the rose playing off of one another.

On wet: Lily of the valley for one brief, shining moment.

Drydown: Wait, what? Lily, where did you go? Who kidnapped you away from my adoring nose? Instead, I have a light, balanced mix of pear and rose that lasts all day.

...If I hadn't known there was lily of the valley in this perfume, and if it hadn't vanished a moment later, I would be straightforwardly in love with this perfume. The rose and pear are brilliant together, they give each other a balance and sweetness, without being expected or boring. It's a perfect light scent for spring and summer, and I'll happily wear it a lot. I just mourn the beautiful glimpse of lily of the valley.

Moreover, I mourn the fact that on my mother, it's almost single note lily of the valley. It's like my mother's skin stole all the lily that was in the perfume, and left me to console the pear and rose.

White musk is Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Perfume.

This is a strong floral when wet. I thought it was jasmine, but it must be lily of the valley, which normally does not smell so heady on me. Maybe it's the rose that is causing havoc in this blend for me. Yup, definitely the rose. It's going sour, and I'm betting it'll be sour/powdery after a bit. Too bad, as I love the labs lily of the valley note.

In bottle: A lightly floral pear.

Wet: A pretty sparkling blend of lily, pear, and a light musk.

Dry: Subtle but pretty, the pear blends well with the lily to start, keeping it in check over the musk base. Sadly (or fortunately for floral lovers) the rose slowly comes out to play and the pear fades.

Notes: This is a really light delicate scent. It puts me in mind of white sundresses, tea parties, and large decorative hats. Definitely suggested for anyone who likes rose, as it is fairly noticeable.

I've always loved the story of Selune and Endymion :) I was just frimped this from the Lab and while I anticipate that it won't do much for me - too floral from the looks of the notes - I so rarely get oils with a pear note and I want to know what that's like :)

In the imp - faint, faint, so cold and distant - musk, and something cold-sweet.

On wet - pear, lily and a bit of rose.

Drydown - so faint, so beautifully, beautifully, faint, like a fragile youth under the moon . . . absolutely breathtaking, this one, even if it's not my kind of scent - I'm still keeping the imp because it's so positively enchanting and captures the story so well :) White, cold musk, lily and rose, and the cold tartness of the pear, all of it ethereal and barely sensed - staggeringly beautiful.

Getting lily and rose in the imp, hoping the pear and white musk amp here... and the same on my skin. Greaat. And gone in less than five seconds, too. :(

In the imp and wet on skin, pure juicy pear. Now that it's dry, I smell rose water and gentle Lily of the Valley. It's pretty, but too light for me. This would be nice on a little girl.

Oh my! I love this! Even though it kinda smells like soap? But... it's sooo pretty! I keep getting these mysterious wafts of a spicy rose with a hint of earthy sweet pear. There is a touch of woodiness, so very subtle. The lily of the valley is probably the culprit for the soapy feel, but somehow, I just don't care! It's too elegant and lovely, and so gentle. Lightly sweet. The white musk must be either very subtle or be supporting everything else because it's not overt. This blend is innocently romantic. Like freshly washed clean skin.

When I very first applied this to my skin it was SUPER SWEET and then immediately, it was all lily of the valley. There is something soapy about it too but I'm fairly certain that's lily of the valley. After a couple of minutes, the rose begins to come out to play and it seems to get less soapy. This is very pretty scent and I think my mom will like it a lot. I got this one with her in mind because she loves lily of the valley and roses.

In the imp: The pear’s definitely coming out on top. Beth is so amazing—it smells like a pear’s skin, before you bite into it.

Wet: Perfect pear. The pear you’ve been searching for your whole life. And a touch of musk, too.

Drydown: More florals now, but that pear skin is sticking around to hold everything together.

Later: Lightly fruit, lightly floral. Very balanced. This is a nice one. After wearing it all day, I’m not sure if this is a must-have, made-for-me scent, but it’s VERY nice… maybe good for spring.

Sniffed: Dewy green-white floral with a hint of pear.

On skin: Endymion is a green floral: gentle, dreamy, and romantic. Very much like Helena (both have lily and rose) and Amsterdam, but what would otherwise be a boring "conventional" floral is given an extra layer of complexity by the pear and white musk. The pear adds a gentle fruity verve to the dewy flowers, and the musk grounds it and gives it a slight fuzziness. Endymion is balanced and well-behaved, if subdued, as most florals tend to be. Even so, it has a touch of melancholy, wistful longing, with more character than most florals. What a difference those two notes make! I agree with all the above reviews that describe how evocative and romantic this blend is.

Verdict: As a pure floral, Endymion is definitely more interesting than most (such as Helena and Amsterdam, which I skin-tested together), but I find pure florals somewhat dull. I'm unlikely to wear it much since there are better floral-mix blends out there.

In the bottle: juicy fruit, pear juice dripping down your chin. and it would be a pear you picked fresh from the fridge, in the middle of a summer afternoon where you have nothing but books to read. the sweetness reminds me a little bit of kiwis, but perhaps that's the roses? it's a sweet-tartness that makes me want to bite into a piece of fruit.

On my skin: this is what I was imagining La Belle au Bois Dormant ought to smell like - a sweetly sleepy blend of flowers and pear. Sweet without being overly so, and somehow charming, in the way that little girls in pinafores with smiles and wonder in their eyes are. pears and roses mostly, dripping with juice.

Last thoughts: this is a perfume for spring. I tend to prefer more mysterious scents, but for whimsy, this is perfect. sweet & girlish, innocently rosy.

Edited by frecklestars

In the Vial: Pear! But the floral notes make this a perfumed pear, as opposed to an actual bitten-into pear. Pretty, soft, and slightly aquatic.

Wet: Rose. Seriously? It's never amped quite this quickly before. Okay, it is still slightly fruity and perfumey. But yeah, rose.

Dry: Rooooooose. Sweet rose. Perfumey rose. But rose.

An Hour Later: Still sweet, perfumey rose, but not quite so ROSE! as before. If I try really hard, I can kind of imagine the pear poking its nose back out. It's soft, sweet, and very pretty.

Overall: I wish this had been more pear than rose. It ended up quite nice, but it's just not my thing.

In the imp -- sweet lily of the valley and roses

Wet -- lots of whiteness, and a big whiff of lily of the valley. Not really picking up the pear, but it's probably providing some of that white sweetness.

Dry -- as it wore, I amped a lot of rose, with that gentle base of white musk. It got slightly incensey at the end, but stayed primarily rose.

It's very pretty, but not terribly memorable. I don't think I'll reach for it all that often, but it's nice to have the imp for the occasional wearing.

In the Imp: Whoa there, a bit sharp and alcoholic smelling. Maybe some pear wafting in the background.

Wet: PEAR. Super clean, crisp, sweet pear. In fact, probably a bit sweeter than any real pear could actually smell, so I'm probably getting some of the lily of the valley as well. But it's definitely playing second fiddle to the pear. Very innocent and simple.

Dry: This one really transformed on me. The pear isn't there at all and this is simply a rose floral bubble bath. Rather disappointing, because the initial pear was so very vibrant. Even if it was too sweet to be my kind of oil, I could've appreciated such a "true" fruit scent... but now it's just the rose.

Overall: Very sweet and darling, reminds me of a cute little girl. If you like rose, you'll like this. It seems to be a morpher, so I wouldn't get it expecting the pear to last, or the note bouquet to really stand out. Unfortunately, on the drydown I lost everything save the rose.

This has been on my wishlist to try forever. I loooove pear. White musk tends to be a great note on me, and I like lily and rose, though sometimes they are a bit strong for me (and rose sometimes goes sour).

In the imp this is a sharp, light floral. A touch of the sweet pear in there as well. I think this could mellow nicely on my skin.

Hmm..oh my skin I lose a lot of the pear--it is mostly a wispy rose and lily scent. Floral haters beware, this is definitely a floral based scent and not a fruit based scent. The floral is just enhanced with a sweetness from the fruit. I think the rose is the most obvious note to me, but the lily is definitely there as well. The musk is definitely present as well.

On full drydown I get a soft, powdery, musky white floral/rose scent. It is pleasant enough, but somewhat generic and unmemorable. Maybe on the right person they will get more of that sweet pear, but on me this blend is just meh.

Endymion is a pretty, ethereal, ultra-feminine scent. It feels very pastel, all pink and mauve and baby blue. Unfortunately, the combination of Lily of the Valley and pear is reading as French soap to my nose. Even if I could avoid the soap associations, however, I don't think I would use this scent. I'm somewhat androgynous and I feel a bit like a hippo in a tutu wearing it. So it's off to some lovely girly girl who will get more mileage out of it than I could.

I seem to be in a minority because I'm hating this scent. I hated it in the imp (my brain screamed, "SOOOOAAAP!"). I don't even think I can give it an hour. I've had it on for maybe a half hour, and it's changed a lot in that time.

Upon first application, it was pure soap. I'm guessing this is the lily of the valley. I'm a lily kind of person, in that I love the flower and the name and its variants. Lily of the valley can stay far away from me, though. After SOAP!!!1~~ for ten minutes, it was like rose clashing with the lily of the valley. Soapy rose. My skin already tends to amp rose, and the lily is just not helping. Now I'm writhing, toes curling, trying to bide my time to see how the scent develops. I can't stand it, and this isn't in an anticipatory way. GROSS.

After 10-15 minutes, pear. OH, PEAR. THANK YOU. I am so glad to have pear because it sweetens the whole thing and makes it slightly bearable. Unfortunately, that lasts for a whopping two minutes, and now it's back to a faded, soapy rose. It's so soapy, it feels like it's coating the back of my throat. Occasionally -- and I mean OCCASIONALLY, like 2 out of every 15 sniffs -- I get a hint of that pear. It's just not enough. Soapy peary rose. I don't even get why the rose is such a champ because "bois du rose" is, to my understanding, ROSEWOOD. How is that supposed to smell like rose? Ah, well. Can't stand it. I can't even wait this out, it's bugging me so much and I have to do things that require concentration. Right now, my brain is just like, "Get it off, get it off, GET THIS OFF." I'm gonna go listen.

Now, I don't know that I should be testing scents during hormonal times of the month, but I am. I will keep Endymion to try again in the future, but right now I just want it off my skin. I get why people would like this, as it's pretty delicate once past the initial stage and seems very traditional, but it's totally not for me.

In the Imp (ITI): Ok, it reminds me of the old plug in Glade scents. I think it is the lilt of the valley as this floral aspect is a bit too strong for me. It certainly wakes me up though. On second sniff, there is some sweetness from the pear and the musk. I do hope those take over once on my skin.

Wet: Still too overly floral and chemically with the lily of the valley, but the pear comes more the the forefront, as is the musk. If the lily of the valley can diminish completely, I may actually like this scent. Otherwise, it’s very floral, very feminine, but just not me.

Dry: 30 minutes dry, the lily of the valley is now behaving itself and it allows the rose and the pear to come out and play. At this point, all the notes are balanced. It’s pretty, but the floral is making it go just a tad soapy on me.

In the imp: Sweet lily and rose with sharp pear on top.

Wet: Pear & liy - the pear is softened by the lily, and they blend well together.

Dry: A really lovely rose scent (the truest I've smelt thus far, actually), given a fresh edge by the pear and lily. Really lovely! It does stick quite close to the skin, and did fade rather fast. It worked very well as a room scent, however, so I'll be keeping my imp.

In the imp: Sweet pear and lily of the valley are the dominant notes, with a little rose.

Wet on my skin, the pear smells very ripe and juicy, and the lily is sweet. The rose adds a tartness to it. I love the concept of fruity-florals, but so many go bad on my skin; this one actually seems to be staying pretty true to what I smelled in the imp. As it starts to dry, it's bordering on soapy, though. I'm not really smelling white musk, which is too bad because it's a note I enjoy. Unfortunately, it smells more soapy the more it dries. It's a pretty blend, but I don't think it's bottle-worthy for me.

Purchased from Babypopje!

In bottle: sweet crisp pears and a floral undertone. Not sure what at the moment.

On skin: Rosewater!

Drydown: Roses and pears and light musk, oh my! Lovely indeed.

Verdict: A very pale green rose scent. I find this gender neutral bordering on feminine, it's so pretty! It's that man you find otherworldly gorgeous but are too afraid to find out if he's gay or not! :D I was pleasantly surprised, I expected the white musk to go very cologne-y on me, but it didn't. :wub2:

Imp: Sweetly pear.

Wet: As I figured, the rose immediately took over but I can still detect the pear under all those roses. Sitting down to have a bite under a rose bower. At least it's not old lady rose.

Dry: And it's gone pure rose. I knew this was likely to happen but I love pear notes so I had to give it a try.

In the Vial: A very juicy pear note, with some crisp, bright florals. Smelled almost aquatic to me, and I was smelling quite a bit of rose too.

Wet: This was very, very rosy when wet on my skin. This excited me because I love any and all sorts of rose. The pear note faded right away and it was all rose and just a hint of that soapy lily of the valley.

Dry: Still very rose, much to my delight. But then this soft, powdery, soapy note, most likely from the lily of the valley. Very, very soapy, not sure I love how this note comes out on me.

Later: This has almost faded into nothingness eight hours later. I still catch the lightest hint of that soapiness mixed with a breath of light white musk. Very, very faint. I didn't reapply, simply to test the longevity of the scent. I keep catching small whiffs of it when I move. It's soft and light and very feminine.

Overall: I wish I would have gotten more pear out of this, and that it would have stayed stronger on my skin longer. Also, the lily of the valley went really soapy on me and I'm not sure I loved that. I'll try it again, but limiting this to the one imp I have for now.