Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Rose Cross

A profound symbol of an individual’s personal initiatic process, spiritual refinement and evolution, synthesis, grace found as a result of trial and suffering, and the alchemical process by which we transform the raw essence of our souls through light in extension. This is a holy oil, a representation of the triumph of spirit over matter: purest rose with sacred frankincense.

In the bottle: I do not like frankincense, will never like frankincense. it smells like a smoker's car to me - musty nasty never fresh. and there is nothing but frankincense from the second I open the bottle. if the roses are there, they've all been strangled by rot.

On my skin: at least the roses make an appearance on my skin, however drowned out by nasty they are. the frankincense is just too much for these poor souls. the roses lend at least a little sweetness, but it's still primarily frankincense.

Last thoughts: musty rotting ick. no more frankincense for me, ever!

In imp: definitely rose with a touch of woody frankincense. Sharp and lush.

Wet on skin: true to scent, it's a sharp rose with the frankincense. The scent is very strong, I'd imagine a little goes a long way here. I'm liking the frankincense here a lot, though I don't usually like incense.

Dry: powder and frankincense on my skin. Newly dry, it's a lush, almost spicy rose, very pure and pleasing. That's before it turns straight to powder.

Verdict: This is actually the first scent I tried where it hit me that rose turns to powder in my skin--noticed likely because of the "pureness" of the scent. I continued to smell the spicy woodiness of frankincense but the rose was completely gone and replaced by powder. Verdict, roses are bad for me. :/ I'm still hoping that a different rose might work, but not too hopeful.

The first time I tried this, I absolutely hated it. Normally I don't care for frankincense, especially when it's a star note, so the strong frankincense out of the imp automatically turned me off. It was hostile, almost a bit bitter, and dry. But I wore it to bed one night and when I woke up the next morning, I couldn't figure out what smelled so glorious all around me. It wasn't until I sniffed my t-shirt and caught the most lovely floral incense which made me realize that it was Rose Cross.

Trying it now, I still get the same initial reaction from the imp. But I'm finding as it's drying, the rose and frankincense balance each other very well. Both kind of calm each other down since both notes can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. I will definitely be reaching for this one more often during autumn and winter.

Rose is just not a good scent for my skin chemistry. I had hoped that the frankincense would make this a wearable rose, but no. It's all soapy rose, and not for me.:cry2:

This one went on as "grandma's rose scented dusting powder" and I was sure I wasn't going to like it. But then as it dried, it became more like "giant fresh rose", which was better. Once it was completely dry and settled in, the frankincense came through and combined beautifully with the rose. I completely reversed my assessment and will happily put up with smelling like an old lady for a few minutes while waiting for it to dry down to that lovely rose/frankincense combo!

Frankincense and rose are both huge problem notes for me, but I try to make a point of testing everything.

Imp: Whoa! *cough* Strooooong frankincense, so loud and bitter that it almost smells chemical. And a little bit of sour rose.

Wet: Rose, but sharp rose, a little soapy, with still incredibly intense frankincense. Wow, this is almost making my eyes water up close! The throw is much kinder, a light womanly rose with a hint of church incense.

Dry: This ends up being one of those rare roses that actually works on me! :D However, the frankincense lends it a slightly bitter edge that I'm not sure I like. I'll test this one again but I doubt it's a keeper.

For the first two hours, this is pure rose. Teas or hybrid teas. Pure rose isn't my thing, since I wore rose perfume way too often as a little girl, and any rose oil starts off so intense it bothers my allergies a touch. Just before the two hour mark hit, though, this suddenly dropped into an even frankincense/rose mix that was actually quite soft and lovely. It's fading, though, which may mark it as another short-term floral scent.

This is very faint on me. I do get both rose and frankincense, and they are well-balanced. It's a nice, simple blend. But as it wears on, it smells of rose and armpit and it's making my eyes itch a little.

Not going to the swaps yet...I might try it again. But for right now - no.

This doesn't smell like something I would wear as a day-to-day perfume, but it's very profound nonetheless. It smells on my skin exactly as if I had been working at my altar for a few hours - I tend to burn frankincense resin and rose oil is an oil burner, and while Rose Cross doesn't smell like actual frankincense resin and an actual bunch of roses, the smell on my skin is almost exactly the same as the smoke and oil mix that clings to me after I've been at my altar. I actually smell perfumed, rather than that I am wearing perfume. I expect that I won't wear this out and about, but I will wear it when I'm doing spell work.

I used to wear this all the time, and I just don't know what happened since my return to the sweet, sweet crack BPAL. I love the description and it smells pretty in the vial, but the INSTANT Rose Cross hits my skin, it turns into sharp, bitter, soapy ugh. Stays that way all through the drydown and hours and hours later. A second opinion was sought, and soon secured.

HUSBAND: It smells like insect repellent -- it smells like a TRUCK of insect repellent. It smells like the WHO going after Dengue fever.

MOI: Not -- not a sacred blend of rose essence and frankincense? Like rose incense?

HUSBAND: NO.

sigh.

Soap. There are some frankincense notes I can wear, there are some rose notes I can wear... alas for me, Rose Cross isn't it. It's overwhelmingly "soapy" on me on first application, and while after a couple of hours I could get around to "incense," it's not a scent that I can wear. I ended up taking to my wrist with rubbing alcohol after a few hours; just needed it out of my nose.

In the imp, my first impression is rose with a bit of an incense background.

Wet, very strong rose, gave me a headache!

Dry down, very beautiful rose scent on me! Complicated, warm floral, which I love. Long lasting, too...of all the bpal scents I've tried, this one has stuck around the longest and had the best dry down. 5 out of 5 for me.

I've worn it a couple more times, and must say, this is a really lovely rose for me. I used a little less than the firs time I tried it, and that took care of the headache. It really has a lovely dry down on me...cleanly sweet, not soapy or cloying. Nice! will probably get a bottle of this!

Edited by nixie3

I received this as a frimp, so I'm unsure of the age.

In the imp: rose, with a touch of powdery incense

Wet on skin: fresh green rose with a pale background of powdery soap

Dry on skin: Fresh roses besprinkled with morning dew

The wet stage of this blend reminds me of my grandmothers bathroom . She had these pretty little English (or were they French?) soaps that smelled exactly like this - it's uncanny.

Wow, so surprised I liked this scent. The rose started out a a little powdery. Luckily for me, the soapiness of the initial application fades to a wondrous fresh rose, not soapy or powdery.

I know there is frankincense in here, but I'm not getting any indication of it on my skin. I'm fine with this, as frankincense can be a little overwhelming as I seem to amp this note occasionally.

All in all, a lovely perfume! Maybe even a bottle contender :)

This is mostly rose on me. If I really try I can detect the frankincense in the background, but it's by no means heavy.

The rose is fresh and green and pretty and doesn't turn to soap on my skin, which is great.

Overall, this is a pretty, pure scent with just a hint of incense softness. Rose lovers will definitely like it!

I don't need a bottle of this, but I'll hang on to the imp, I think.

Ok, I have been wanting to try this one for a long time.

In the imp: I get very distinct notes of rose and frankincense, and something almost candy-ish that seems to a mix of the two.

Wet on skin: Interesting - on my skin, it seems to turn into rose candy.

Dried down: Definitely rose here. The frankincense is very light.

Throw: Not much at all, but I put it on lightly, and I'm testing several scents.

Verdict: ***** I really like this. I don't actually know if I'm going to get a bottle for myself, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one for my mom. She loves rose scents, and if this works on her the way it does on me, I think she'll be happy, and wanting more.

In the bottle, this is pure rose with a slight spice. This is like the wet rose of Peacock Queen, but also softer, younger and slightly greener. Dry, the frankincense comes out stronger and this is much more incense-y. Too spicey for me.

In the imp: Herbal, incense.

Wet: incense, the herbal is decidedly more plant-y.

Dry: Incense and a slight hint of floral. Another 10 minutes and it's the roses that've taken over, the incense is adding depth but it's barely noticeable. 10 minutes after that, the incense is back in the lead. Lovely rose incense is how it ends up on me.

I thought this might help me get over my hatred of frankincense. It does not. It went down like this:

Initial impression: Oh, strong and rosy with a hint of spice.

Drying down: Ack, there is the frankincense, ack, and it's going medicinal on me. Must wash off!

Conclusion: Tricky, tricky scent! Definitely smells like a spiced rose and confirms that my skin is really picky about incense and resins I am learning - they often go medicinal on me, depending on what they are blended with. Not even rose can save this relationship. So long frankincense. Peace be with you.

Wet: Super sweet, almost syrupy rose. Some freshness starts to come through quickly though. Not really getting the Frank yet, just really strong, sweet rose.

Dry: The frank never shows up. This is a really nice rose on me, but I have a ton of rose in my collection, so I don't feel the need to seek out more of this particular one.

Wet on my skin, an utterly fresh, dewy, full-bloom red rose dominates. A smooth frankincense surrounds the rose, less grainy to my nose than in some other blends, but it's very much in support in the early stage. The rose is queen.

Once the blend dries, the frankincense comes out in closer to a 50/50 balance with the rose, but the whole has gone pretty close to my skin (low throw). It turns a little spicy and powdery, too. The latter is the only minus for me, but it's faint.

This is lovely layered with Crucifixion.

In the imp it smells like the dill like white rose in Parliament of Foules, but I don't know how to differentiate rose scents yet, so I could be totally wrong.

On skin: it's dry roses (still not sure, they might be white? I'm really getting that dill type scent...) and wood. Dry incense and white roses.

Dry: High church incense and fresh dark roses, I believe now. Very evocative. If these are dark roses, it's the woody incense that creates the dill like quality when fresh. I love it. It's very beautiful and I'm getting a full bottle.

Well this was unexpected! In a good way. This smells like a Middle Eastern shop. Like seriously reminds me of picking through all of the carpets and textiles and random wares in one of the many little shops I visited while deployed to Kuwait! Good memories! <3 :-) I can almost feel the sticky Kuwait City heat swirling around with this heady fragrance hanging in the air. Resin, roses, a bit dusty ... oh this is a bottle purchase for sure!

I love me some frank but rose is powdered soap usually so in don't have high hopes for this one.

Yup, it's powdery soapy rose. Glad to have tried and will place this one in my frimp pile.