Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Musk

Dragon’s Musk

Dominant, passionate, devastating. Dragon’s blood and five deep musks.

In the vial: that cherry-ish sweetness with musk combo

On skin: same, with a beautiful melding

drydown: sophisticated, sexy, slightly high pitched musk …bold & gorgeous!

The REAL review: First, let me state that I’m not a big fan of Dragon’s Blood. If patchoulli smells like “dirty hippie”, then Dragon’s Blood smells like “high school metal head stoner Dude who’s, like, into the occult & shit” :D . I’ve tried other scents in the Ars Draconis line & wasn’t impressed.

Dragon’s Milk was Dude dating & corrupting the innocent teenage girl who just moved to town.

Dragon’s Claw was Dude & a spiritual minded hippie guy putting aside their differences & talking about their Led Zeppelin bootlegs.

But Dragon’s Musk? Musk = the beautiful, classy dominatrix who just moved in down the street. She hires the Dude to help her build her basement dungeon while seducing him into her world. She gives him boundaries and helps him move beyond the juvenile delinquent phase while his presence helps heighten her power.

Um, yeah :P I really like this scent……

Wow, in the imp it's very sweet, very musky. On my skin, it's overpoweringly perfumey for the first five minutes. Then it settles into the dragon's blood that I know and love with some deep musks with the cherry sandalwood scent of the dragons blood. I like this but it's not a keeper, it's too heavy and perfumey for my taste.

This is heavy on the DB on my skin, but I love DB so that's good :D it has an undertone of musks, which seem to be okay on my skin (just recently had a bad experience with the musks in Smut :P as oposed to the loveliness which is Scherezade)

A keeper! Don't know if I will get a bottle of this one or of the plain DB once my imps of this one and of DB are used up. We shall see... :D

Starts out as pure Dragon's Blood but quickly gets heavily musky.

There is a bitter note which pops up as the drydown begins which I cannot name. The bitterness fades into a very perfumey, very powdery scent. This is the longest stage on me. It dies two hours later as light musk extremely close to the skin.

I love Dragon's Musk. It was the first bottle I ordered from Ars Draconis.

I would say that it's definitely in the Snake Oil family of scents -- it has that musky sweetness that Snake Oil has, but instead of vanilla it has sweet resiny dragon's blood. It's also not as strong as Snake Oil is; it's more subdued. It's an enticing, softer scent, rather than being so in-your-face.

I usually find dragon's blood scents to be comforting, and this one is definitely not an exception. It's kind of a calming, centering musk scent for me. Very nice.

This one and Dragon's Milk are my favorites from Ars Draconis, but I'd be hard-pressed to choose between them for absolute favorite.

This scent is simply yet lovely. There is a strong sweetness from the DB (it sort of resembles a very sweet sandalwood) backed by teh muskiness. A somewhat simple combination that is sexy, incensy and somehow still a "skin scent" also. This blend doesn't have a lot of throw, and reminds me a bit of Morocco in feel and character. I think everyone should give this one a try- even if you don't think you like dragon's blood blends, thins one may surprise you!

Edited by euterpe414

So it seems that I like dragon's blood. I know that I love musks. Together, though, I really don't like them. When I got close to my wrist I could separately smell the dragon's blood and the musk, but the combined throw reminded me of baby powder, oddly enough. I would be interested in trying dragon's blood with another sweet note, so I think that I'll put Dragon's Milk on my wishlist.

Straight out of the imp, Dragon's Musk smells like candied hyacinth to me. I don't remember enough about Dragon's Milk to say whether this is less piercingly-floral to my nose, or if I've just acclimated to the smell of dragon's blood... either way this isn't bothering me as much.

On my skin, the floral note seems to spread out, or mellow as it sinks in... it smells light and a little soapy, but not in a bad way. The hyacinths are murmuring instead of screeching, and I think it's the musk that's lulling them. But this is all wild conjecture.

This is a very sweet floral scent, and although it's settled down quite a bit, it's still not my style.

I have liked some dragon's blood blends, but haven't been able to carry off the wearing of any until Dragon's Musk.

On me it starts and stays a warm, deep skin musk swirled around sweet resin. It is heavy, and incense-y, but the loveliness of the musk is just too seductive to resist. I put this on after a hard day's work and it was like the oil curled up on the couch and cuddled with me.

I usually put any DB blend I receive in the oil burner right away but this one is definitely for wearing.

I like dragon's blood. I like musk. I apparently don't them combined. Musky, sweet incense. I'm just not an incense person...simply ccan't pull it off. And it contrasts so much with the sweetness of the dragon's blood that it's actually starting to give me a headache. Oops! Much more for an incense person who likes to experiment.

This is a lazy, lustful, overconfident dragon. Here, the sweetness of the resin is tempered by the musks, which come out almost salty in the drydown -- a bit like Dragon's Hide, in fact. I like the layered effect of the different musks, and the warmth it lends; dragon's blood can be chilly in some combinations. There isn't as much staying power (!) as I would have liked, but that also makes it possible to apply some and go out in public without attracting obnoxious attention.

When I opened this bottle the scent made my eyes water it was so strong. I don't like the dragon's blood, and as much as I love musk, this just doesn't work for me. I could smell when each note dried. It was very definitely dragon's blood when wet, and musk when dry.

Dragon's blood is invariably potent on me. Generally I need other strong notes to balance it in a fragrance (which is why I love the leather, smoke and spice notes in Bloody Sword).

With Dragon's musk, its very nicely balanced in the imp. Very rich and heady.

On my skin, the dragon's blood does amp up and take over for a while, but on the dry-down, the musks assert themselves and wow, this becomes very sensual and mysterious and yummy. I really want a bottle from the Ars Draconis series, and Dragon's Musk just became a serious contender for my choice.

Not only that, this blend also furthers my appreciation of the BPAL musks, which I feared in my early BPAL days but which I have now grown to truly love.

Musk. Musk, musk, musk! With just a hint of sweet, juicy dragon's blood.

This is a swarthy and thick scent, very perfumey and heady with a rich flush of musk. Prime among these is a fleshy red musk and a rich dark musk. This is an intense scent, heavy.

It goes on almost foody it's so organic, a steamy biological odor tinged with rich red resins, a scent I could easily imagine rising from the tarry oil that oozes up between a dragon's scent-scales.

Not a scent for those who find musks usually go rancid on them, but definitely one to try if you're a fan of musky, slightly dirty scents. This is appealing, smooth rather than sharp, but not without tooth.

I probably never would've bought Dragon's Musk myself, so thank you to the Lab for this frimp.

I'm always a little wary of any musk blends other than ones that have only white musk. Dragon's Musk surprised me -- the various musks work well together and with the sweet dragon's blood that's floating just above them. It's strong and heady and I love it.

In the bottle: I think my first reaction to this was "I don't want that anywhere near me," it just smelt so musky and strong I was afraid it'd overpower me entirely.

On fresh: The distaste is gone! The musks have all mellowed and I have a lovely rounded smell on my wrist. Can't name anything in particular other than instead of looking slightly worried when I sniff my wrist I actually smile.

There really wasn't much morphing with this blend. It went on soury-sweet (dragon's blood) with an undertone of cat musk, and while the musk itself actually submitted to the dragon's blood, the scent over all didn't change much.

My rating: 2/5. Smells like cat soap to me.

Frimp from the lab.

ITI: Like WHOA musk.

Wet:Sweet cherry-like Dragon's blood and warm musks. Resiny. Yum.

Dry: Dragon's blood is softening a bit, and musks are getting a slightly feral feel. This is warm, almost sensual and hot. I can picture the hot sands of a dragon's lair, heated by their fire, bathed in their scent.

I'm not a fan of dragon's blood at all - to me it smells like sickly-sweet artificial cherry air freshener. That said, I *almost* like this, probably because I'm a huge fan of BPAL's musks. The musk is lovely, but the dragon's blood pops out to ruin it every few minutes. The dragon's blood note here is not as overwhelming as in Dragon's Milk, and, well, I almost like it and I'm really surprised. But it's still a touch too artificial-sweet for me, and I can go to Scherezade for my red musk fix.

In bottle/imp: Dragon’s blood with a lot of musk.

Immediately on skin: Dragon’s blood with a very bitter tone to it. This isn’t sweet at all and is rather dry.

After a few minutes: What can I say? Dragon’s blood and musk. No sweetness. Kind of boring really… it’s like Dragon’s Heart without the slight sweet tone of the black currant. It is very strong, however.

Later on: This blend has turned a little soapy on me… but I think that’s the nature of the beast. The same soapy scent hit me in Dragon’s Heart so it seems the combination of musk and dragon’s blood just doesn’t do well on me. This is very dry and if you are looking for a more unisex to masculine dragon’s blood scent, this one would be good to try.

Snake Oil Light. Snake Oil that doesn't turn all funny after a couple of hours. Snake Oil with a touch of sweetness and a bit of peppery spice. That is Dragon's Musk, and it's sexy and warm and perfect!

And thick--this is an almost sticky oil that leaves a very red smear on your skin.

Dragon's Musk smells like magic to me. It's a deep red scent with a strong, almost sharp tingle from the dragon's blood resin. The musks are beautiful in this; they border on strong but it's not too much. And if you can't wear musks, you must try this as a room scent! It fills multiple rooms full of gorgeous, musky, sexy, magical scent. It's very warm and tingly. :P

I have been going through the Ars Draconis trying to find my perfect dragon's blood scent, and darned if this isn't it. Musk does incredibly well on my skin and combined with the dragon's blood, it enhances and supports it without overwhelming. This is easily one of my top five BPAL favorites, and is--so far--my favorite of the Ars Draconis scents.

It isn't quite as strong as Dragon's Heart, but it's less sweet and yet somehow, I find it to be quite feminine. It's a he and she-dragon dancing on a hot summer night as wildfires blaze in the nearby forest, melting the rosebushes. As a fan of dry scents, this is right up my alley. It's the Spellbound of the Ars Draconis line.

Big bottle. Yus.

Soft. The musks really dilute the dragon's blood a lot. It's nice, though, I can see where the softer scent would be prefereable at times. It really hangs in there, and does not change into anything unpleasant.