Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jasminepearls

Aglaea

Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.

This is one of the "happiest" blends I have tried. It smells sunny, happy and summery, thanks to the peaches, and bright, sweet and sophisticated thanks to the amber. Just like the previous reviewer says, it does smell golden. As it ages, the amber amps, so depending on how fruity you want it to be it's better to use it fresh. I keep it for bad winter days and it is one of my top ten BPALs; it's fighting the Top Fruity post with Bathsheba :P

In the vial: Sweet peach and something strongly but not bitterly green; must be the myrtle.

Wet: Amber spikes up right away, but then fades back into a better blend with the peach, with a dark warmth of the musk beneath. Still an edge of that green scent; it doesn't smell like the dried myrtle I have downstairs, but it's yummy anyway. This is a little darker and heavier than the "Imp," but we'll see.

Half an hour: Amber-musk, then myrtle. The peach is still there, but it's not nearly as prominent.

Seven hours: It spent most of the time being musk backed by amber and, to a lesser extent, the myrtle. Darker and more bitter than the "Imp," and of the two I think I like "Imp" better. But this isn't bad. It's a lot like "Brisingamen," only muskier.

A friend just gave me an imp of this.... oh my, I LOVE it! It makes me think of a sunny summer afternoon, relaxing by a wooded stream, with a peach orchard near by. I've got to get a bottle!

Imp: Peachpeachpeach. Very pale orange scent.

Wet: Ambery peach.

Dry: Sweet peach, very light and golden! Tiny hint of something deeper which is, I'm guessing, the musk.

Lovely blend.

Vial: Sweet and complex

Wet: Smells like fresh fruits with a hint of wood. The wood is getting stronger.

Dry: Smells sweet and fruity but aged or cooked fruit, not fresh. The subtle hint of peach is in the background.

In bottle/imp: Peach with a background of powdery amber.

Immediately on skin: This is fruity, musky peaches with a base of warm amber. It’s very golden and slightly tart with a hint of powder from some of the amber. There’s also a cool flowery note (the myrtle?) that wafts above the blend. Very pretty.

After a little while: This turns into a thick, powdery and musky peach scent pretty quickly on me. It’s a warm, fruity scent, but the powdery note is rather cloying and makes my nose almost itch a little.

Overall Impressions: This is a bright, fruity peach blend with nice amber and musk, but something in it seems to go wrong on my skin and turn this a bit cloying and powdery. I seem not to have much luck with the lab’s peach scents anyway, so maybe it’s that note. I can see this becoming a really gorgeous warm peach blend on the right person, but I’m sad it didn’t work on me.

This came as a frimp with my Halloweenie order :D

Aglaea is further proof that Black Phoenix Alchemy lab is the BEST at what they do. First sniff on skin, this smells like a high-quality, natural (as opposed to aldehydic) version of Absolutely Givenchy. It also makes me realize that passion fruit and peach smell almost exactly the same on my skin :D The drydown is nearly ALL peach, sweet, gentle and refreshing. This is simple, nice, and perfect for summer/late fall. Most fruity scents fade quicly on me but this lasts for hours before my skin devours it.

LOVE! :P

Wet, lots of amber and musk which makes me have high hopes for it.

Dry: PEACH WINE. This is peach wine on me. Peachy enough to hide the amber and the musk. It's very sweet and summery. Too sweet for me at the moment.

Verdict: I'm going to hold on to the imp and age it to see if the peach wine scent calms down to bearable levels. If it does, I think this is a blend I could really love. Otherwise, I'll pass it on eventually.

Wet: Sweet peach

Dry: The peach fades with time to merge w/musk/amber. Sunny, happy, sweet (but not cloyingly so).

Undecided on this; hoped for more amber/musk and less peach. But it is beautiful.

Comparisons to other scents: The peach lasts longer in the early drydown than with Imp & Tamora, it's much brighter/sweeter than those initially. The later drydown, though, is much more balanced and complex than those. (When tried together - I should wear them each alone to see how it goes. But you know, that takes days of elapsed time, to get to the full dry down, and I'm not sure I can be so methodical & scientific about it for multiple days in row...) For feeling, Mag Mell & Persephone have a similar happy brightness (though they are very different scents.)

This scent always makes me happy. The lush peach, 3 golden sunny ambers and musk combine to say "Hey, get up, lifes too short to lay in bed all day."

For the most part this is all peach and musk, but as it dries down, the 3 warm and inviting golden ambers step in and lend a vanilla feel.

I adore amber, and was wondering when it was going to make an appearance.

It is creamy, sunny, bright, and very lush.

Oooooo! This is a fun one -- peach wine! Luscious and pretty! Maybe a bit pretty-pretty for me to regularly wear, but great in her own fun way.

In the imp: Shiny, glittery peach. bright but with sun-drenched sharp heat behind it.

Fresh on the skin: This blooms astringent and green on the skin, like peach still, but unripe. The waft, though, is all golden and sweet, like the fuzzy skin of a peach ripening in the sun.

After the drydown: Ah, the sharpness fades out, and I'm left with peach and gold with just a little edge to it that I can't identify. I'm kind of in love.

10 minutes later: God, this smells like love when you don't yet know if it's requited, but you have reason for hope. Also, it seems to like my hair more than Aizen-myoo did, which is nice. The fact that I'm getting such a distinct scent and can discern good throw even through my stupid allergies is really impressive.

50 minutes later: There's something almost nutty about this, giving it depth and deliciousness. Or maybe I'm just really hungry.

2 hours later: It's faded down to this juicy, creamy vanilla scent. It's still delicious, though I'm not sure how I feel about how the peach has faded to the edges.

3 hours later: Okay, I do definitely get occasional wafts of peach, still, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't really care because my wrist seriously smells like ambrosia, sweet and seductive, like a dish that will ruin you for any other. I think it must be the musk that's making this stick so naturally to my skin, and the amber that's giving it that glow. God, this is gorgeous. I think I'll just lie here and sniff my wrist instead of doing all the work I'm supposed to be doing. Mmm.

7 hours later: It's definitely fading, but there's a faint sweet veil of scent still on my wrist, and I press my nose to it desperately, wanting more.

8 hours later: I swear it's stronger than it was an hour ago. Or maybe I'm just so addicted that my sense memory is playing tricks on me. Either way, it's still amazing, warm and heady and sensual.

10 hours later: Still there, in ghost form. I really really really don't want it to go away, but I know it's going. The temptation to reapply it so that it invades my dreams to really strong.

11 hours later: If I put my nose in exactly the right place, I can still smell it, but for all intents and purposes, it's gone.

Verdict: I am completely in love with this to the point of being almost disappointed that I have so many others to try before I get to just wear anything I want (I decided to do this systematically, but now I'm questioning the wisdom of that decision), because part of me just want to roll around in this and wear it all the time. Utterly divine. Like the first kiss with someone you've been lusting after forever, sitting in the park in the summer sunshine, and knowing you get to kiss them again, and again, and again.

I heard tales of the peachyness of this scent, and my friend disliked it because it made her smell like a can of peaches. I'm all about fruity scents, so I was really excited to try it.

On the first try (a swipe from the friend's imp) it went to powder almost immediately. :P

Recently I was frimped my very own imp and decided to give it another shot.

The smell in the imp is lovely - I smell the fruity peach smell out front and I love it!

On me this time it turns to a musk with a slight powdery background (I'm assuming this is the amber) and a faint bit of peach. It's not bad, but it's not the peachy scent I had hoped for.

In the imp: MMMMmmm yes, peaches. A very slight resin scent as well, in the very background. Like the scent of the whole peach tree.

Wet: The peaches back way off and the musk is coming forward

Dry: The amber lends a vanilla note, and this is the perfume version of peaches and cream.. not straight foodie, but still perhaps a little too foodie for me. Smells amazing and yummy though! I never would have thought musk and peach would be deliscious :P

In the imp: Fresh, bright and fruity.

Wet on skin: I get a lot of golden, dewy peach juice out of this. It's very pretty. Vibrant and alive.

Drydown: It gets richer and sexier. Exceptionally sensual. Sexy like peach juice drubbling down your neck, and a hot guy beside you to lick it up. Yum!!

Overall: This will get a lot of wear from me. I can't wait for my guy to smell it, I think he's gonna love it.

In bottle: peach bubblegum. Wet: really luscious peach bubblegum over myrtle. It is almost spicy. I do rather like it. As it warms, the amber separates a little and the peach grows deeper and more luscious. Dry: fades fast to a soft peach.

Imp: Sweet, syrupy peaches.

Wet: A little amber, a little green, a lot of peach.

Dry: There is something in it I really like. The myrtle I think. I'm going to have to see if I have anything else with myrtle. The peach is just too fruity for me...not my thing.

from the imp, peach and some spice. wet on skin, a bit green, fresh peach, I like it and I don't usualy like fruity scents, amber is doing it's magic. Dry, sweet peach and amber, everything fresh and green is gone, but I still like it because I love amber.

golden and sweet, but a bit too sweet for me, perfect for someone who likes girly & sweet scents but with an ambery twist.

edit: this is very old imp, so I'm guessing that amber is more prominent in it than it is when it's fresh.

Edited by milica

Aglaea

This little gem caught me totally by surprise. You see, when my mom remarried she wanted to have peach potpourri sachets for wedding favors. My grandmother, sister and I spent the better part of three weeks filling net balls with peach potpourri. Ever since I have despised peach-scented items and even been leary of the actual fruit. Then an imp of Aglaea fell into my collection.

I didn't read the notes before applying the oil. I happily sniffed and snorfled my wrist delighting in the soft fruitiness. I was reminded of a gentler "Hanging Gardens". I decided right then that I needed a bottle of this amazing perfume. And then I read the notes.

Peach? There's PEACH in this? And I love it?? :blink:

Beth, you're amazing. You've made me appreciate peach again!

I was dismayed when I realized I accidentally bought 2 imps of Aglaea off the forums to try and I hoped that I would like the scent. Sadly, my strikes have been outnumbering my home runs. But Mr. Synchronicity strikes again! I'm so glad I have 2 imps! :)

I got the imps in the mail yesterday and I was just SO enchanted by the imp sniff that I HAD to throw it on for a skin test today. Aglaea hit me in the face with ripe peach juice.. juicy, drippy, melt in your mouth peachiness. (I'm an oddball I like to eat my peaches all smooshy vs. crunchy crisp) Then the amber/musk came out to play create a rounder richer depth, so it's not all fruit. This is a very bright warm happy scent. Very Summer-y. Oh how I love love love this! :wub2:

eta: I did a test on my second imp and it must be fresher than the first imp I tried.. This one definitely starts off on a brighter note.. like bright fizzy peach champagne... both are sooo scrumpdillyumtious! :D

*I'm seriously beginning to think I'm a sucker for amber...

Edited by azurephoenix

In the imp: Sweet sugary peach syrup.

Wet: Still sugary syrup, with a hint of musk. The peach is lush and ripe and gorgeous, and the myrtle dances around the edges to give it a lovely green note.

Dry: The myrtle has faded and the peach has turned from a sugary, almost-boozy syrup into a proper ripe, fuzzy, luscious fruit, just ready to be picked. I'm completely blind to amber, so I can't comment on that, but this is still an absolutely delicious, mouth watering, mood-lifting scent. I'm so pleased to have had the chance to try it, after my disaster with Marquis de Meurtil.