Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Apothecary

Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

A riotous mass of herbs and foliage, and a twinge of spiciness that must be the ginger. This puts me in mind of a greenhouse, and is not medicinal or sharp, as I had feared :P

The Apothecary

Another frimp

Starts off light, cool, fresh. Cucumbers and a touch of melon-y fruit. Seems a touch similar to Blue Moon to me. But lighter and less fruity and without the minty note.There's a note that is deepening this and warming it up. Its still very cool and fresh but with a bit of depth. I think it might be the fig note. This is super gentle and very refreshing. This seems like it would be a great scent for a very hot day. Its light enough that it wouldn't be overpowering and it has a very serene vibe. :P

I really like this one. It's light, green, and softly citrusy. It must be the ginger that's giving me the lemon note. I don't get any tea, but I think that I can pick up the grasses/herbs instead and the coolness of the fig in the background.

This is a great unisex scent for hot weather. Although the scents that I gravitate towards smell, according to my sister, "like hippies," I'm also looking for refreshing ones, and The Apothecary is that.

edit: I made this one into a spray, hoping that that would help it last longer. Unfortunately, that is not the case, so no big bottle of this for me. I'll enjoy my spray, however, even if it means reapplying a lot during the day.

Edited by nineveh

this is lovely! a bright crisp scent, like cucumbers and lemon. . .very pretty! i was surprised because i don't generally like the tea scents, and ginger almost always smells funky on me.

fades really fast, tho. within an hour it is gone. . :P

in the imp: it smells heavy, sweet, and brown.

wet: still heavy, but now there's a faint undercurrent of herbs and it isn't as sweet. I feel like I'm in the back room of an herbalist, and it's dark and dusty; every so often there's a burst of a sweetish smell.

dry: like the wet, only fainter.

I like this, but it's not what I expected. I was expecting it to be greener and lighter. I'm going to have to quit with the preconceptions. :P

Okay - I'm testing this one on my right wrist today. Intrigued by the description, I got this on the forum.

In the bottle it honestly reminds me of an old-time drugstore. Very clean, sharp, slightly medicinal, but not overly so. Makes me think of very, very clean floors & counters & bright fluorescent lights.

Wet on my arm it goes immediately green & wet. Delicious, herbally green - not dank woodsy green. Think medicinal herbs. I can't smell the tea, really, but I think I'm picking up some ginger...? Now I'm picturing a freshly mown meadow filled with long grasses & wild herbs & leaves. Very, very fresh & springy. Fantastic.

After about an hour, this is GONE. I smell pretty much nothing at all. I'm sad about this. I thought this was going to be a great everyday scent, but, like a lot of oils, they don't last on me at all. My innards must be scent-deficient or something, cause they suck it right up. Boo.

Bottle (Imp): This is another nice fresh breezy scent.

Just On: It's herby, and possibly has some kind of tea in it.

An hour or two later: This is a bit sharp.

Around 6 hours: The sharpness has faded, and it's much easier on the nose now. I can't really identify anything specific in it.

12 hours: It's all gone.

Overall: I like it okay, but am not enamored of it to the point of seeking more.

After reading other reviews: I certainly didn't get anything citrus out of this one. It's probably going to get traded away.

ok.. this is the polar opposite of scents I usually enjoy, snake oil, black phoenix, eclipse, O, etc.. I like heady, hot, big smells..

but hey, it's hot this morning, reach into my cupboard and decide to give it a go.

first impression, woah! it's ck1, but so much better, more complex, less samey/alchohol burney.

on, it's lemony, herbal and has some ozone, but, but I hate ozone scents :D

driving along the road in my van, I'm sniffing and thinking, eventually it comes to me.

this smells like a beach I go to, it's got a big open grass area, salt meadow I suppose, some herbs and flowers, to get to it you walk down a forest path, then as you top the dunes there is a massive crescent bay, wide open and the sea rolling in.

this is a keeper, I could see it becoming a summer standby. strangely it smells a little like jolly roger on me, the same slightly salty note I think :P

This reminds me of walking into a craft store for some reason. Anyone ever been to a Hobby Lobby? That smell of a million different things blended together into one strange scent. Potpourri, oils, fake flowers, a million different things for a million different craft projects.

The overall smell of this is VERY nice. It is sweet, but not in a foodie way. Light and summery. It smells like fruit, like florals, like aquatics, like herbs... while not really smelling like any of those things at all. Very well blended. I cannot pick out any one note.

I expected this scent to be more green, but that's not a feel that I'm getting from it at all.

The Apothecary confuses me by smelling like nothing and everything at the same time. I like it a lot, but probably won't buy a full bottle as it isn't striking me as something that I need to smell like. Plus, it is rather light and fading fast. I don't really like to have to reapply my fragrance throughout the day.

This one is really green and fresh at first. Lovely, like a spring breeze, but not girly or flowery. If it stayed like this all day I'd be happy.

Pretty quickly on my skin the scent shifts, though. It gets a little soapy, and the greenness fades away. It smells more like wildflowers and less like grasses. Then the whole scent fades away within half an hour. Oh well... think this imp is destined to make a great room scent.

Origins - gift imp from the lab

Wet - mmmy, tea and moss.

Dry - this is very nice. Tea and moss and herbs and a touch of ginger. It's very light, but absolutely lovely. I am keeping the imp and will definitely consider getting a big bottle in the future.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Lovely! This has been on my wishlist forever and my darling swap faery from spring sent me a tarted imp along with other wishlist goodies. I got into it for the first time yesterday and it just screamed summer at me. It reminds me very much of the botanical gardens here in KC. Green and woody, fruity on occasion, and just all together a riot of sensation. It's very rounded and definately a sweet herbal. It doesn't have a lot of staying power on my skin, but it's definately happiness inducing and worth a bottle purchase. I'll make a mental note to order one in March next year so that I'll have it fresh and ready for summer!

I usually can't wear the sharper scents, as they become too "perfume strip" harsh on my skin, but I keep trying them, and I'm so glad I did! The Apothecary is so fresh and green, like cut grass at first, then gentle herbal notes, with a very faint sweetness -- not really floral, but with enough of that softness to temper the sharper elements. This is a very cooling and refreshing blend, a good scent for summer. I'm definitely getting a big bottle!

apothecary.jpg

I have found that green tea turns to mildew on my skin. However, the idea of green tea in the summer in a scent is so appealing that I have asked quite a few of my friends if they would recommend an alternative to enjoy during the hot days. The Apothecary was mentioned several times, so I traded for an imp.

This does indeed have green tea in it, but I think it is so small a proportion that it is not immediately turning to "old wine cave" on my skin. There is a pleasant herbal balance here, a refreshment for summer and a feeling of competence (!) which I get from this scent. It is real good for sitting around outdoors under a big market umbrella sipping your favorite iced drink and admiring the birds or fireflies as they flit by.

I am going to enjoy the imp I traded for. Who knows if I will spring for a bottle or stick with Severin as my summer lemon-good smell.

In the bottle:

Green, herbally, clean

On me:

That tea leaf really comes through in this, and yet this scent isn't quite what I'd call a tea scent. It's very herbally and has a nice kick from the ginger. There is something citrusy smelling in this as well, which I think might be bergamot, perhaps just lemon. This is such a unique scent in that it's so well rounded. It's very interesting with the herbally grounded notes in this, with the sharper ginger and citrus notes.

Final note:

Lovely and clean and crisp, it dries into a very soft scent. I will definitely keep my imp of this. Like herbal tea with a fresh helping of ginger and lemon. This scent keeps you guessing in trying to identify those notes!

EDIT: This is really growing on me, and my Mom LOVES loves loves it

Edited by Brianne

Ginger? Fig? Tea? This one was a total no brainer; I knew I wanted to try it.

In the bottle: a smell I'm beginning to associate with the green masculine or gender neutral scents.

Wet: Very green and I think I can smell the ginger now. I like it so far.

Drying: Damn, does every last BPAL with tea in it have to vanish on me? It's getting sweeter as it goes; I think that's the fig, but it's hard to tell.

Dry: Honestly it's been 15 minutes and it's all but gone. There's a faded sweet green scent left.

This starts out as a strong tea with lemon and honey on me. Which is nice, but I already have Dorian for that kind of smell. Oh well, let's see how it is after a few hours.

OK, after a while, the tea and lemon scent fades entirely, and this become a Super Fig scent! Yay! It's all sweet, strong fig with a little bite of spicy ginger lurking in the background. Delicious. It's like Dorian and Nemesis had a spunky little baby, and it was The Apothecary. I might need a big bottle of this one.

My Impression: Crisp, clean, aquatic, green herbalness with a sharp citrus note.

Perhaps the herbalness I detect is Green Tea as stated in previous reviews but I liken it more to Grass in the Spring after a long winters lull..Very nice indeed :P

In the bottle

Beautiful fresh clean sweet light floral

On

Wow, this is really, really pretty.

When I sniff for individual notes I can definitely get the grass and tea leaf. The mosses, fig and ginger don't stand out as individualists to me. They blend seemlessly to create an ever so slight sweet note with lots of body which supports the green grass and tealeaf notes perfectly. This is so hard to describe. But trust (as I did) it's gorgeous.

30 minutes

Another hit that doesn't morph at all on me, it stays as lovely as it was when first on. It's just less intense smelling of course. That said, it has more staying power than average.

Throw:

a bit more than average

Scent category:

herbal/green 9with a bit of sweetness and something that smells floral but isn't)

Summary

My goodness, this doesn't smell as one would think when looking at the ingredients. It smells like a fine perfume by a french parfumiere, an older one, perhaps "Joy" but maybe fresher and greener.

Purchase again?

God yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

I must have the weirdest body chemistry ever. This smelled very green in the bottle, and I could detect a bit of the tea underneath. Wet on my skin, I got a lot of tea, some unindentified green stuff (herbs? moss?) and a sudden burst of yummy fresh-mown grass (without the often-accompanying allergies.)

And then as SOON as it started to dry, it went all powder. Heavy, heavy baby powder. POWDER!

How disappointing. Teas are usually great on me!

Reading the description of grasses and herbal medleys made me slightly nervous as that's not really me. This though is not at all what I expected. This is light, crisp, clean and calming. I mainly get the tea scent with a big of fruitiness from the fig, but it's completely in balance. This reminds me of Severin but without the lemon scent. This is perfect for summer.

This is a very nice light summer scent. I bought it for the fig, but the tea, herbs and ginger are the strongest notes in the blend. It's very crisp and clean and green, with the slightest hint of fruit which must be the fig. Lovely!

I love this blend......it seems sweeter to me than it appears the rest of you thought it. I love any fig scent and this one surpasses my expectations. I just wish it didn't fade so darned fast!!!

Has a very sharp scent right out of the vial.

I'm a dedicated World of Warcraft player and this scent reminds me of the Apothecary in the game...deep in the bowels of the Undercity.

On my skin it reminds of of a lotion I once had called "Seaside"..has a watery, green scent to it. Very fresh, almost soapy.

In the vial: light and sharp and sweet. While the scent is pleasant, I have my doubts. That sweetness may well be *too* sweet for my liking.

Wet: There's a pleasant green freshness, but the top note is too sweet for my liking. The sweetness (the fig, I assume) keeps growing and growing, and I really don't like it.

Washed off before drydown, and I'll find a nice home for the imp with someone who likes light, fresh, sweet scents.