Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Apothecary

Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

this is rather pretty! It's definitely green with a bit of a spice zing to it. I'm guess that it's the ginger in there. Very lovely herbal scent, clean and refreshing.

I think I'll keep the imp around... not sure if I'll get a bottle for myself.

I'm always excited about scents with tea, and I was even more excited by The Apothecary's promise of a wet, mossy, grassy, woodsy scent. I imagined something akin to Nocnitsa but with more sweetness. Sadly, this was just soap and powder on me. The same soapy smell I got from Glasgow. Soap soap soap. Too sad.

The Apothecary-

In Bottle: Very pleasantly soft and herbal; soapy.

Wet: When it hits there's a strong smell like...was that cooked green beans? I am not making this up. But that recedes. Whoa, this is going away quickly.

Dry: I get something herbal-y soapy, but not really more prominent than that. It's not as light as I'd like it to be. It doesn't quite work for me.

Overall: Not for me.

The Apothecary is a very light, clean pretty scent.

In the imp I get fig and green tea-minus the nuttiness you get in green tea.

Upon wearing it progresses and becomes more of a herby lemon tea.

After a few minutes, oh! there is a slight touch of ginger. I lurves me some ginger, for reals. This is really light though, and if I hadn't cheated and seen the list of components, I don't know if I would be able to identify it, it is the tiniest little whisper of sweet and spicy behind the much more prominent herb and lemon. But the prominent notes aren't brassy or pushy, they kind of just float in the room...

A few minutes later: Dang it just gets better. It really fills out but stays green and remains light and sophisticated. I really dig this. It makes me think of spring green.

This is a totally work-safe scent. Not much throw, light and sweet. (Some BPAL I stopped wearing to work because it makes me a little more sultry than I feel is appropriate for a scientist. heh.) That doesn't mean The Apothecary is bland by any means, just subtle. This is going on my "me wants the bottle!" list.

In the imp: This is green and herbal in the tradition of Oblivion and its ilk.

Wet: Yes, this seems to be a cousin of Oblivion...perhaps a more springtime blend. It remains very green and grassy. The ginger is there if I try and smell it, and I can't pick up on the fig.

Drydown and wear: This remains fresh instead of drying into something older and smokier like Oblivion. It's a nice herbal, as it isn't sharp.

The Apothecary:

In the imp, a strong herbally grass smell.

On my skin......... huh, I didn't know I liked moss & grass.

It's really refreshing without being too grassy. I detect the slight sharpness of the ginger and the sweetness of the fig, it's a great combo!

Over time, it mellows out but stays clean & crisp.

Can't wait to use it in the spring time!

I got this as a freebie in my order and I love this one! So fresh and clean, but still sweet enough for my taste. Some rewiews said that this was quite maculine/unisex scent, but on me this is really cute and girly. This is the kind of scent that makes me happy and right now I´m feeling quite depressed so it makes me feel a bit better... Have to get a bigger bottle!

edit: after a few hours it turned quite ugly, it was way too sharp and the scent was just weird. Have to ask if my boyfriend would try this out, maybe it works better on him..

Edited by Unillusia

My first sniff of this from the imp is...well...grass and tea.

It kind of reminds of of a laundry detergent that I buy once in a while.

GREAT. That may not bode too well as a perfume smell for myself..as I really don't want to smell like laundry.

Wet on the skin this turns into herbal tea with grass.

However, this still smells like the laundry detergent that we buy.

It tickles my nose and makes me want to sneeze.

As it dries, it becomes less tea like and more grass and herb like.

Not for me.

Not for me at all.

*puts it in the swap pile* :P

Whoa- I get Rose Geranium BIGTIME from The Apothecary! There is a mossy underbite and maybe a *hint* of ginger. Green tea too but something distinctly floral too.

This may be off to the swap pile. I will put it away for a bit and see how it ages. :P

This is the scent that convinced me that I liked tea in an oil. I hadn't been sure up til this point, but The Apothecary really pulls it off! The mix of tea with the sharp herbs backed with the spice of ginger comes together on my skin to make this something I just really like. I never get any fig out of it, but that doesn't bother me at all considering how much I like this as it stands!

I can't pick out exactly what notes I'm smelling here, but the Apothecary gives me the mental picture of a garden wet with rain. I ought to order some of this before spring comes; it would be perfect for then. Lovely, fresh, and subtle.

The Apothecary is pleasant enough, but it's not one of the "OOOOH, I love this" scents. It will probably end up in the swap pile.

Wet: Very green, with a slightly sweet edge. Not perfume-y.

Dry: It dried very fast. The grass note is strong and it smells very clean and a little dry. Reminds me of an herbalist's cottage, with bunches of dried herbs hanging from exposed beams and maybe a stuffed crocodile.

Finish: The fragrance is very light. The scent clings to the skin. I was going to say that there is almost no throw, but I do get a waft if I move my arm precipitately. Sweet without being flowery.

Duration: Good for at least 4 hours.

Also tried it on The Tall Guy; I liked it better on him than on me.

Eww.

It seemed perfect: tea, moss, fig, ginger... but it turned out to be better as a unrequited infatuation.

On my skin, it turns into an unholy variant of Simple Green. This brings back memories of swabbing the deck, which I would prefer to avoid.

Edit:

I gave this another shot after I realized that I wore this on a day when my skin was being funky. It started off with the Simple Green again, and then turned into what everyone else on the forum has said: sweet & green soap.

It's very pleasant, but I quibble on it for two reasons:

1.) The Simple Green stage

2.) Soap as perfume is not something I'm totally on board for

Edited by baranoouji

What a crisp scent! I kinda like the moss in this, but the sharp herbal aspect of it is turning it into a non-keeper for me. It smells very high-pitched -- almost piercingly so. The green part of it reminds me of Irish Spring soap. It does smell clean, but I like the soft "clean" of scents like Dirty rather than the harsh green kind of "clean."

Also I have something along the lines of a confession that's relevant to this review: I have had several imps of The Apothecary for quite some time because I confused it with The Caterpillar from Mad Tea Party. Why? Beats me. But I've been sitting here with this small hoard of The Apothecary when the scent I actually like is The Caterpillar. :P

The Apothecary - nice.

In the imp: Woodsy and I can smell the fig, which meshes will with the other notes.

Wet on skin: This scent is starting to paint a picture for me. The golden aura of very crisp, dry leaves, right after they have fallen along a wood path in early autumn.

Dry on the skin: exactly the way it smelled wet except there are some herb scents dancing around there, too, which makes this an all around absolute must-have for anyone who likes woodsy/autumn scents. I can't decide if this is a fallen leaf-brown color or a golden/bronze color, but it's autumn definitely.

Will no doubt get a big bottle of this one.

This is a gender-neutral perfume leaning towards the manly side. It smells so damn good though that I don't care if I smell like a boy. I feel very confident with The Apothecary on, actually.

In the bottle, it's herbs. No green, no tea and no fig. I was a sad, sad kitty when I received this imp because, damnit, I don't want a 'head shop in my stash.

But color me all sorts of happy after I put this on. The green sprung up on me all luscious and new. There is a subtle ginger-tea note. The herbs drop to the background, but add this wonderful bite. I picture the color of sage when I smell this and I feel like Spring.

This was a frimp. First smell was very light but herbal and fruity. A nice summer scent.

After applying and waiting about half an hour I can smell tea and lemon with a light herbal/mossy scent. I smell no fig on me at all and the ginger is very slight. This scent is very subtle and likable-not lovable. While I might use the imp once in a while I probably wouldn't purchase a bottle because it just seems too young a scent for me.

Imp: Green. Reminds me slightly of some of the ozoney/green/aquatic Picnic in Arkham scents. Only grassier.

Wet: Hm. Still green. Sweet. Light. Crisp.

Dry: Overall this is a sweet green scent. The moss darkens it a bit once dry, in the kind of "decaying" way. But not as bad as Zombi :P No fig nor ginger in this, which were my main reasons for wanting to try it. It's pretty, but not astounding on me. I wish it had more oomph, with the ginger. I might keep it for a while, and see if I use it when it gets hotter. Otherwise it's swapping.

ETA: forgot to add that the sweet tea leaf becomes more prominent on the dry-down too.

Edited by Browneyes

Another frimp compliments of the Lab…the generosity is so appreciated!!!

Not on my original list of scents to try…but try I will. Normally I don’t usually go for the mosses and herbal notes..but I do love me some ginger and fig..so l will just jump right in:

Initial sniff from imp: Some sort of tea…smells more like a green tea than a black one..and yep..there is the moss, grass and some sort of herbal…all together a rather “green” and fresh vibe from the frimp. I am pleasantly surprised..I guess I was expecting something heavier with the mosses and maybe a tad bit more medicinal with the herbal notes.

Applied wet on skin: A soft bite of ginger with the tea and other green notes..so it’s ending up to be again a bit of a refreshing blend. The grass is actually nice…very crisp indeed but not bracing. I think this would be wonderful on a warm day.

Couple of minutes on skin:Still very fresh and green smelling..the herbal notes are soft and the grass/tea/ginger all meld together to create a very relaxing and refreshing fragrance. I suspect however..that this isn’t going to last too long on me..as it has faded a bit. I hope it can last though..keeping my fingers crossed here.

Ten minutes later:Ohhh…it’s fading faster now. Darn. I can still make out the faint breath of tea and grass…but it is soooo much softer.

Twenty five minutes later: Faint tea notes…funny..I never actually got the fig.

Drydown: A subtle and softly wafting tea/grassy scent.

Lasting power: Am lucky if I can get 3 hours out of this..throw is nonexistent.

Bottom Line: The Apothecary would be a great office scent..unobtrusive, subtle, and completely work appropriate. I think it’s a great option for spring or summer but the downside for me is that it basically evaporated within the hour on me. I will most definitely keep the imp and see if I have more around..perhaps if I dump a couple in some body cream I can get it to adhere a bit longer..I really did enjoy the fresh and crisp notes in this.

At first sniff I thought this was slightly fruity and very fresh. Light and splashy. A springtime scent comes to mind.

I am not surprised to see that this has tea notes in it because there is a feeling of green softness, especially with that initial crispness. This is not the tea I notice in Dorian or in White Rabbit, which both smell like dark or black teas. This is more herbal and grassy.

I notice the fig as it begins to settle. Fig always stands out on my skin...it usually is always extrememly soft and sweet on me. Smells the same way here. Then everything turns into a sweet, herbal powder. I love this final stage....it smells like a flirty, young girl's perfume.

I appreciate all of the stages this went through. I really do have fun with these morphing kinds of fragrances (my lovely Bilquis does the same thing on me). I would love to have a 5mL of this eventually.

my first real review. hot dang.

Inside imp: First sniff and I'm reminded of grass. It sort of has a grassy-lemony scent to it. I don't get any other scent than those two, though.

On skin, wet: A bit sweeter for some reason. Slightly spicy, too. Maybe the ginger?

On skin, drying down: It's still grassy, very crisp. I can smell it on me as I type, it's very pleasant and clean. On my wrist, I am getting a kind of soapy/bodywash smell, though, but there's nothing wrong with smelling like good soap. My male roommate just said it smells like an old lady, which leaves me feeling dejected. I also believe he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Overall: It's what I would call a very "green" sort of scent, but maybe a bit too "bodywash" for my tastes. It's still a very nice scent, though.

Edited by koleypunch

I really really wanted to like this - I had hoped for something herbal and grassy with fruity/spicy overtones, but I don't get any of the ginger or fig - only an intense herbalness. This is not unpleasant, but I can't see myself reaching for it regularly.

hmm i like this one but don't love it. it smells like sweet tea with a fruity-citrus twist. there is an underlying warmth underneath and this scent is very comforting and bright. very pretty, just not for me.