Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Y'ha-nthlei

A great undersea metropolis located below Devil's Reef. A swirling, lightless, effervescent scent: the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris.

In the imp, ahoy! its Irish Spring Soap

On, better than I expected. Aquatics usually are a laundry detergent/air freshener scent for me, and this has that but its being aggressively tempered by the eucalyptus, mint and tang of bergamot. "Effervescent" is right, and it is very emerald green.

But unfortunately its doing the sweet thing, a lot of blends go to candy on my skin, and the added sugar isn't doing it any favors.

A pleasant surprise in that it wasn't pure soap, but not something I'm huge on wearing for very long. If had stayed a bit truer to its initial scent, it might have been a winner, but the sweet soap is not working for me.

Holy moly!! :faints:

I need a bottle of this. It's beautiful! It has that "sea breeze" scent that you would associate with things labeled as such. Sweet, a slight salty undertone. Almost cucumber/melon. Clean, but also a hint of musk.

This is addictive! So going in my next order.

I definitely get the foamy ambergris with a hint of cucumber freshness to it. Are there any other notes I should be getting? Bergamot? Not present unfortunately.

I am getting a bit of the eucalyptus when it dries down. It's mostly fresh, clean ambergris with a hint of eucalyptus. It's nice but not something I'd want a bottle of.

This was much less aquatic than I thought it would be. It's very fresh and almost sparkling. That could be the eucalyptus. It does have something a bit dark underneath the surface, but it's so faint that it's almost as if I'm just imagining it :smile:

I am not entirely sure what ambergris smells like, but I am getting some of the bergamot as well.

Overall, it's just a nice and fresh scent, perfect for a hot day, in my opinion.

Wet: Very much a citrusy aquatic. There's a little something else lurking in this scent though that is very interesting.

Drying: Salty and very crisp. This is almost soapy, as many aquatics are.

Dry: I am finally getting the eucalyptus which adds a really nice dimension to this. It is very eerie, fitting a Lovecraft scent and I think it will make a nice summer perfume.

I can't believe that I forgot to review this earlier! Love love love this scent :wub3:

In bottle: Pure aquatic. Like smelling the sea. Reminds me a lot of the sea spray smell in Jolly Roger.

Wet on skin: Still have that sea spray scent plus little hints of the eucalyptus and ambergris. There's almost a touch of clean laundry, like Jolly Roger and Dirty mixed together.

Dry on skin: The acquatic note has died down a touch, and the eucalyptus and ambergris have gotten stronger. There's just a hint of something that I can't seem to identify, which I guess is the bergamot. I seem to be amping the ambergris to the strongest note. The scent stays close to my skin, so I'm having to constantly whiff at my wrists to catch the scent. Just lovely!

This is salty and sweet. Just very beautiful and soothing, I think it's a wonderful aquatic. Very, very, very lovely. Definitely considering getting a bottle.

In the imp: Exactly as described. I don't even know what to make of this, but WOW it smells interesting! Chilly (in a cold-water sense, not just cold air) & frothy. Very evocative!

Wet on skin: Less chilly & frothy (though both of those effects are still there), but otherwise unchanged.

Dry on skin: The water has gotten murky now. Not awful, but certainly not as nice or exciting as it was wet or in the imp!

After a few hours: Weird. My husband says this smells like a handsoap. It doesn't smell soapy to me, but the fake-smelling scents they add to cheap handsoaps? Yeah, it smells like those. It makes me think of a "marine" or "aquatic" inspired cheap handsoap/cleaner/air-freshener/etc.

Verdict: This failed miserably on my skin, but it's SO exciting in the imp! Another for the "someday when I get a scent locket" pile!

Imp: Fresh citrus ozone. VERY ozone-y.

Wet: Light citrus and SOAP. Uh oh.

Dry: The soap has receded, thank goodness. It's now mostly ambergris. The Lab's ambergris does this thing where it becomes a skin scent on me. It's a soft, musky scent with a latent sweetness. There is a tinge of the juicy white-green I associate with eucalyptus but fades in and out almost imperceptibly.

Unfortunately, it's still lingering on the edge of soap. It's like the way your hands smell after you wash them with a mild scentless soap. The soap doesn't have a scent on you skin, per se, but your skin has a particular newly clean scent that's different from your normal skin scent.

Verdict: I like this but I'm not sure I'll go for more than an imp.

In the imp: Marine notes like whoa.

Wet: Very green marine notes, followed by the eucalyptus. I think I'm getting some cucumber from this, or at least something green that is reminiscent of cucumber (but it isn't sweet like in Squirting Cucumber).

Dry: Fresh cucumber and eucalyptus, accompanied by foamy ambergris.

Verdict: This one is way too green for me. Too green, I say!

In the imp: Fresh and aquatic.

Wet: Much the same. I'm getting the "deep marine notes", but I can't pinpoint what they are, it's just something rich and clean.

Dry: This barely changes across the stages, so not much more I can add. This'd be awesome as a shower gel.

A frimp to love!

Bottle: Pale blue-green aquatic, light and beautiful. Eucalyptus freshening it.

Wet: Like eucalyptus and wild orange trees by a pale and breezy sea. Watery, light and soothing.

Dry: The same. Somehow this reminds me of The Magus by John Fowles, set on a Greek island. The island had a lot of pine but I get the same feeling smelling this blend that I did reading the book. The scent doesn’t last long on me, though.

This is really lovely! It would be nice to wear out near any water or to sleep. I just wish it hung around longer.

Aquatic notes don't do well on me, but I desperately want to be able to wear one of the Innsmouth-themed blends, and several people up-thread have mentioned that this was the rare aquatic that worked on them when most aquatics didn't, so I decided to take a chance on it.

Wet/in the imp - Dryer sheets soaked in citrus-y cleaning solvents. Not promising.

As it dries, the dryer sheet/cleaning solvents top notes fade quickly into a sea breeze shower soap/glade plug-in type scent that isn't unpleasant, but is still definitely Not For Me. For a few minutes during the early part of the drydown I could smell a pleasant amber-type note trying to fight it's way through the soap smell, but alas, the soap won.

Why does the great Dagon withhold his favor from me?

Admittedly, it does work better on me than some aquatics, but not well enough for me to really want to wear it again. It also lasts for over 8 hours on my skin because of course it does. Why can't the blends I love ever last this long?

Imp: bubbly oceanic aquatic
Wet on Me: Oh hi! Why do you smell like a happy scent? a happy bubble ocean water lil scent
Drying Down: the ocean/aquatic note is less prominent now, but I'm getting the bergamot and ambergris now. This is still a bubbly happy scent
Dry: Sweet, seaside, floral happy scent.

I didn't think I was into aquatics these days, but Y'ha-nthlei is changing my mind. It smells like deep, seething waters with none of the ozone notes I was dreading and only a pinch of salt. The eucalyptus makes it feel like cold, stormy weather. I can pick out the bergamot, but for once that doesn't feel like a bright, sparkly note. This wears fairly close to my skin and it doesn't last long, but while it is here it is very good.

A nice base of salty-warm ambergris, sharpened by other aquatics and eucalyptus. The ambergris helps it from being to sharp or cold on me. I don't think this is something I would wear that often, but my guy might like it!

Definitely 'watery' but not in that sneezy mega-aquatic way. It's nice, clean, simple. Not terribly evil, imo. I like it, but I don't love it.

Where I'd wear it: Hiking to one of those jungle waterfalls you see on travel bloggers' Instagrams

it just smells like Irish Spring to/on me :( flat, sharp, soapy. doesn't evolve on the skin. dissipates after about an hour. i will keep searching for my perfect aquatic

OK, whiffing out of the bottle and this is very aquatic. I'm interested. However, immediately on the skin...lemon pledge. Some sort of chemical cleaner.

On the dry down it is more citrusy and floral, the chemical cleaner/lemon pledge scent has passed thankfully.

Final thoughts, this turned out to be quite lovely. Now its more citrus and something earthy which I'm guessing is the ambergris. I'm not quite sure what ambergris itself smells like. I'm very happy with the way this one turned out. Its a very lovely aquatic that I can definitely see myself wearing again in the future.

Very marine, very foamy. On me, Y'ha-nthlei smells like fresh but slightly sinister shampoo.

It's pleasant, but not quite interesting enough to wait and see what it turns into.

Edited by Miss_Unicorn

In the imp: Aquatic plus something brightening it. Looking at the notes listed, I think it's the eucalyptus -- as an accent, not as the main feature.

On my skin:

At first, it's happy, light aquatic. I can definitely pick out the eucalyptus. I wish I could also detect the bergamot, but that's just because I love bergamot.

As it begins to dry, I can definitely see some Irish Spring potential, and I hope it can avoid that... Care to help, bergamot?

Oh, dang. No help from bergamot. This is full-on Irish Spring. (Which as soaps go, is a pretty good one, but it's not what I want my perfume to smell like, you know?)

Much time has settled it: Irish Spring, when it could have been bergamot.

I am not an aquatic person. If you are, maybe try this despite my review. If you are also not an aquatic person... this would not be the scent on which to break that pattern.

Tbh this is purely baking soda on my skin. Doesn't morph either, just goes down a bit on the throw on meltdown. Don't hate it, but not really interested in smelling like it.

A clean scent with citrus and green notes, like a light, somewhat masculine soap, with the ambergris providing a musky overtone that keeps it from being too sharp. I definitely get the Irish Spring comp. Not me, but I'd love to smell this on a guy.