Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Delight mixed with Jezabel is actually quite reminiscent of Khajuraho, especially when they are applied to different arms and the combined waft hits you.

I would also be interested in a GC scent similiar to Lenore. I have 2 bottles now, but I like it more each time I wear it and would love to experiment with scents that are like it.

Have you tried Serpent's Kiss? It's not an equivalent, but I was reminded SK strongly when testing Lenore. They have a very similar quality and amount of vetiver, probably. Maybe mix that with something lemony.

Here are some Naughty/Nice observations I've made:

While this might be an enormous DUH, Bliss and Lump of Coal are mind-bogglingly alike. Lumpy is a bit lighter and sweeter, and Bliss is more true-chocolate, but unless I have them both on at the same time, I can't tell the difference. And I truly adore both of them. I must admit my skin does something Different with these two: they both turn into this amazing, sweet-but-not-chocolate-or-even-food scent on me, so your mileage may vary.

Also, Snowblind is a heck of a lot like Lick It layered over Milk Moon. Yeah, they're LEs, but still, you could probably buy both for the price of one Snowblind!

I also think Trick or Treat is quite like Mitzvah. Mitzvah is sweeter, but they smell about 90% alike to my nose; if you layered Trick over something sweeter like maybe Midway or something, you could probably get even closer. See, I don't get any cream out of Mitzvah, just sugar and something vaguely caramel, so yeah, candy/caramel corn is really close. Again, it's an LE but I've found Trick or Treat often sells for around $15 still, and it's not that hard to locate.

(I haven't found anything at all like Fee, unfortunately!) See edit at bottom: Yemaya is a lot like it.

Others:

I found Tarot: The Sun to be an almost dead ringer for The Haunted Palace- not 100% exact but quite similar.

As everyone else has mentioned, Dublin is a twin for Skadi. I also found Snow Moon to be a heck of a lot like it too, but a it (Snow Moon) is sweeter. And Snow Bunny. They all four are subtly different but so darn close that I simply can't tell the difference unless they're literally side by side on different body parts.

I found Ice Queen to be very, very similar to Nuclear Winter; in fact I like Nuclear Winter best. It's a bit sweeter, more complex, and a bit mintier, and all-around more user-friendly IMHO (I think it would have gotten more love with a more dramatic name, frankly- I think it's kind of under-rated, due to nobody really getting all that excited over smelling like a nuclear accident... Ice Queen just sounds cooler!) Ice Queen was more stark and mostly Beth's patented Icy Note without much leavening. I also thought Talvikuu was related, but with more fir tree than Ice Queen had, and a bit more masculine. (Personally, I think the '05 icy scented Yules were blended a wee bit better than the '04s, like Beth had perfected the mixes or something.)

Personally, I find Snake Oil and Snake Charmer to be a bit similar- while Snake Charmer is better, more slinky and well blended, they're like fraternal twins to me.

Pink Phoenix and Pink Moon are almost indistinguishable to me. Granted, they're both LEs, but I wouldn't have gotten both if I'd known how darn close they are.

I found Neo-Tokyo a bit like Storm Moon to me, though not identical. The ozone was very potent in both, I think my skin amps it a lot. I liked them both, with Neo-Tokyo being more complex and not just straight ozone- I liked Neo-Tokyo best.

There might be others I've noticed that I'll have to post later, these are the only ones coming to me immediately.

I was really interested to hear that more than one person felt Frost Moon was a lot like Blue Moon; I have Frost, maybe I can stop snivelling that Blue is so far out of reach.

EDITED TO ADD:

While it's been mentioned several times in the Obatala thread, it's not been said here, so I'll add that Obatala is whole lot like Milk Moon but less heavy. Its beautiful. I like it as much as Milk Moon, which is one of my very favorite scents. The water note lightens it up a bit, in a lovely way. It's just different enough that I would recommend it even if you own Milk Moon. Or if you didn't like Milk Moon, because it went sour on you, try Obatala- it doesn't have that sour undertone at all, but is nevertheless about 80%-90% similar I'd say.

Also Yemaya is a lot like Fee- just a bit brighter/fruitier. Same melon note though. I must admit I like Fee more, it just has a slightly less sticky scent to me. I'd call them maybe 75% alike, and it's not a bad way to get a much cheaper honeydew melon fix.

Sundew is a lot like a mix of the unreleased Toxin and Zero to me- it's got the bright freshness of Toxin (which I love) but the floral base that Zero has. I would say it's most like Toxin, about 75% like it.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I would also be interested in a GC scent similiar to Lenore. I have 2 bottles now, but I like it more each time I wear it and would love to experiment with scents that are like it.

Have you tried Serpent's Kiss? It's not an equivalent, but I was reminded SK strongly when testing Lenore. They have a very similar quality and amount of vetiver, probably. Maybe mix that with something lemony.

Actually, I just got Serpent's Kiss and the vetiver/spicy thing was way too much for me. My nose didn't pick up anything that reminded me of Lenore. But thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it another go and hope that it's mellowed some.

Yes, it's strong on the vetiver, that's why I mentioned it. I had the feeling the vetiver in Lenore was similarly strong to the vetiver in Serpent's Kiss. Sorry, if this didn't turn out to be the case for you. :P

hello, um, if there's another topic like this feel FREE to merge it.

Ok. here goes. Someone was so kind as to frimp me a decanted impfull of Red Lantern. Problem is I can't get enough of it's smoky caramel goodness and it's an LE.

Would anyone know about any other scents similar to the caramel scent found in Red Lantern?

I also adore pink phoenix, it's my sweet femme girly scent.

hello, um, if there's another topic like this feel FREE to merge it.

there might be a "similarity" thread somewhere in the recommendation section. I can't remember right now, though, since I should be in bed.

Ok. here goes. Someone was so kind as to frimp me a decanted impfull of Red Lantern. Problem is I can't get enough of it's smoky caramel goodness and it's an LE.

Would anyone know about any other scents similar to the caramel scent found in Red Lantern?

I think Midway is similar, but that was also an LE. But it's a bit sweeter.

Perversion seems to be kind of in the same vein as Red Lantern as well, but I think that's owing more to the coconut than anything else. But it might be worth a shot.

Gluttony also has a caramel type note to it, but it's also much sweeter and stickier smelling when compared to Red Lantern, which has that dry base note.

I also adore pink phoenix, it's my sweet femme girly scent.

There aren't too many non-LE strawberries either. I think Hollywood Babylon has some similarities, but it's a bit heavier and less silly than Pink Phoenix.

Or you could try Bon Vivant, which is a strawberry-champagne scent.

The other closest thing is Strawberry Moon, which is probably a lot harder to find than Pink Phoenix.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! that does actually help alot with my next order of GC imps and bottles to try. I should add that I am curious about other smoky scents. I had high hopes for dragon's hide but it failed horribly, going floral on me, when I had wanted smoke, spice and leather.

For smoke-spice-leather you might want to try Tezcatlipoca (which also has a vibe similar to Red Lantern), The Black Tower, and Hellfire. For a full on smoky scent, you might want to try Djinn, which smells just like a campfire to me.

And I agree that Hollywood Babylon is probably the closest general catalogue scent to Pink Phoenix.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

Here is another vote for Perversion if you look for something along the lines of Red Lantern. I didn't compare them directly, but Perversion reminded me a lot of RL when I tried it, especially in the first stages of wearing. It doesn't say in the description that it has coconut but it's definitely there, and they both had a similar feeling to them.

I just noticed tonight while I was trying my new Bengal imp that it smells a LOT like Gingerbread Poppet '05, just without the sweet sweet ginger scent. It's a lot more wearable in that way. If this is what Three Witches smells like, I need me a bottle!

Another I've noticed is Devil's Night smells a LOT like Xiuhtecuhtli, just less sweet and damp. Both are sophisticated and orange to me.

Edited by PixieSkull

I've found Sudha Segara to be a very close cousin to Honey Moon.

Is Clio at all similar to Miskatonic U. in the paper/parchment note? M.U. on me was sickeningly sweet coffee, but I'd been hoping for library-smell.

I'm enjoying my new bottle of Love in the Asylum, and it reminds me strongly of both Seance and Ouija--the sort of dusty "haunted" rose scents. Crazy!Love (as I affectionately call it) is more complex and has that great honey drydown, but there's still a strong similarity. Maybe add a dab of O underneath.

For those with Peony Moon, what do you think is the closest GC? I'm so eager to try mine, but still waiting on it.

It's not a GC, but I found it to be quite similar to Budding Moon- just not as sweet.

I hope you get your order soon!

Has anyone the chance to compare The Pit & The Pendulum to Sin, Scherezade and Lust? It reminds me so much of one of those, but I don't have the imps here and I'm not sure if it is different enough to give me a reason to stock up on it as long as it's available.

Please help me find differences/similarities! I have the impression that The Pit is somehow more smooth and little less woody/more syrupy than any of the GC blends, but I definitely need some help there :P

Edited by shadith

Has anyone the chance to compare The Pit & The Pendulum to Sin, Scherezade and Lust? It reminds me so much of one of those, but I don't have the imps here and I'm not sure if it is different enough to give me a reason to stock up on it as long as it's available.

Please help me find differences/similarities! I have the impression that The Pit is somehow more smooth and little less woody/more syrupy than any of the GC blends, but I definitely need some help there :P

P&tP isn't really like any of those, to my delicate noseholes, at least. It's more of a flat out resin with just a touch of a woodsy note to it. I think it's most like Midnight Mass out of any oil, I've tried. I am not sure how it compares to Cathedral, though, since it's been a while since I've tried that.

To me, Scherezade is more of a red musk/saffron cloud, and Sin & Lust are heavier on patchouli and spice notes, not very resiny, either.

Fruit Moon is my SO's more favourite scent on me ever. Are there any GC scents that are fruity in the same way? I've tried a few fruity GC scents but they're either too citric (Aizen-Myoo, which I still love but which isn't Fruit Moon) or too sweet (Akuma) or too one-note (Thalia). Any other suggestions?

P&tP isn't really like any of those, to my delicate noseholes, at least. It's more of a flat out resin with just a touch of a woodsy note to it. I think it's most like Midnight Mass out of any oil, I've tried. I am not sure how it compares to Cathedral, though, since it's been a while since I've tried that.

To me, Scherezade is more of a red musk/saffron cloud, and Sin & Lust are heavier on patchouli and spice notes, not very resiny, either.

Seconded - Midnight Mass. I didn't really find it smilar to Cathedral.

Fruit Moon is my SO's more favourite scent on me ever. Are there any GC scents that are fruity in the same way? I've tried a few fruity GC scents but they're either too citric (Aizen-Myoo, which I still love but which isn't Fruit Moon) or too sweet (Akuma) or too one-note (Thalia). Any other suggestions?

Storme, some people find it very floral, but on me Mi-Go Brain Canister is very fruity. It was an LE, but I think it's a bit easier to find than Fruit Moon.

You might want to experiment with some layering - try Akuma & Aizen-Myoo together for example, or a combination of some other fruity blends.

Storme--Shango from the Excolo line is very fruity! Mi-Go went foul on me (damned jasmine) but yeah. Shango!

Torture King is very similar to Voodoo, to my nose. Though TK is definitely a smokier, more leathery blend, so I wouldn't call it Coke "ice". Still, might be worth grabbing before the CNs come down May 1.

Edited by jewelbug

I second whoever said that Intrigue and Freak Show smell similar -- they are virtually identical on my skin. As I love the fig and cocoa, that suits me fine, and when my Freak Show runs out, I'll have a GC replacement!

Melantha loves teh Smut! (Thank you, angharad!) I've managed to get a hold of a few bottles, but it *will* run out. :P

What other scents can I try? I have a feeling I should have ordered Fortunato and Montressor, my bad. Are there any GC scents along that line?

Thanks!

Edited by Melantha