Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

For my particular skin chemistry, the Apothecary works as a lighter, sweeter substitute for Kingsport. Kingsport is very strong and broadcasts a lot, whereas the Apothecary takes a minute or two to warm up, and it's much softer. Also on the dry-down they diverge pretty significantly. But I swear there's at least one common note in there. I'd be interested in knowing if this happens on anyone else!

Have been having a hard time tracking down a scent that is familiar to Storyville. It seems some think Smut, Spanked, and Devil's Night are similar any thoughts?

I think that Olokun=Kingsport with melon. A great substitute for Kingsport if you like melon.

And of course Dublin is the only GC I've found so far with that same 'snowy forest' note from Skadi, Snow Moon and Snow Bunny. It's actually closer to SM because of rose.

Is Dragon's Musk anything like Smut? :P

Not at all, IMO. Dragon's Musk is sweet, warm, dark, slightly fruity, powdery. Smut is dry, boozy, masculine (at least, to me it is). I think Sed Non Satiata is the closest GC scent to Smut.

Have been having a hard time tracking down a scent that is familiar to Storyville. It seems some think Smut, Spanked, and Devil's Night are similar any thoughts?

I think Love Me is somewhat similar to Storyville. Devil's Night, I can see as well. I don't think Smut or Spanked are similar.

Two things I've noticed, one related to this thread and one not:

1. Othello smells a lot like The Living Flame, at least on me. Sweeeeet.

2. Pumpkin Patch #1 smells a great deal like Beth's experimental/Snake Oil blend. It even gives me the same rash. Definitely worth trying, since the PP#1 is a lot easier to get...

I tried going through most of the threads but just in case I missed it, anyone have a similar scent to Monsterbait: Underpants. I've got a couple imps but I can never afford a full bottle. Any help would be great.

I tried going through most of the threads but just in case I missed it, anyone have a similar scent to Monsterbait: Underpants. I've got a couple imps but I can never afford a full bottle. Any help would be great.

Someone earlier suggested Tushnamatay...I haven't tried MB:Undies, but Tushnamatay definitely has a lovely vanilla/sandalwood with what might be saffron. If the rum is heavy in MB:U, you could layer some Grog over it or something, maybe?

Those who love Kunstkammer might try Tweedledee. It's very similar to Kunstkammer or at least my bottle of Kunstkammer as it has aged right up to dry down. The dry down is lovely.

I found Dorian to be almost identical to Underpants on my skin. But on my husband the tea and musk really comes out. Body chemistry is so strange!

*ponders if she really needs to hoarde bottles of Underpants now that this discovery has been made*

On me, Dragon's Musk smelled like something a sleazy 70s lounge lizard would be slathered in -- heavy, stinky, cheap men's cologne, mixed with something like a rutting goat. So I'd say no.

But the other night I ran into a BPAL friend who was wearing Smut, and at first sniff I thought it was Scherezade, only slightly less spicy. So you might want to check that one out.

On me, Dragon's Musk smelled like something a sleazy 70s lounge lizard would be slathered in -- heavy, stinky, cheap men's cologne, mixed with something like a rutting goat. So I'd say no.

Wow...our body chemistries must be total opposites with musks! On me, Smut was weird sweaty musk, while Dragon's Musk is a very sweet, enveloping kind of smell. But that's even more proof that they're definitely different :D

I'm updating my BPAL spreadsheet and thought I'd share some impressions.

Jabberwocky: Reminds me a lot of Yuletide. Juicy "berries" with a bite of pine. I don't know why I get berries when there's no berry component mentioned, but I don't have the most sophisticated olfactory palette in the world, either.

Tarot - Strength: To my nose, this one smelled almost identical to Beltane 2005. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet, but when I do I'll update spam the thread. :D

Tarot - Judgement: Again, I'll need to compare the two directly, but I think this one would make an awesome substitute for The Cracked Bell. It struck me as dragon's blood with smokey incense. :P

I mentioned this in my review of Cockaigne, but it's very similar to Monster Bait Underpants on my body -- not quite as edgy, but quite similar in the sweeter elements. If I took a dab of high-quality single-note sandalwood and put Cockainge over the top, I'd almost be at Underpants. For any Underpants lovers, I'd say it's at least worth trying an imp of Cockaigne, because it's yummy in its own right! :P

torture king = high john the conquerer

undoubtedly...i tried them separately on each arm and there is no

question they are exactly the same to this sea monkey's schnoz :P :D

torture king = high john the conquerer

undoubtedly...i tried them separately on each arm and there is no

question they are exactly the same to this sea monkey's schnoz :P :D

weeeird. I didn't get that at all! I thought TK was all leather & smoke, very similar to Doc Constantine.

Another possible substitute: someone gave me a partial imp of Voodoo Queen. To me it smells almost exactly like Perversion, minus the coconut.

Edited by Diana

I'm going to scratch my head over the Torture King/High John comparison too since Torture King is a smooth dark manly smoky leathery wood with dark orange and lime smothered in resin, and High John was a migraine-inducing high-pitched perfume counter floral to me! Well you never know, skin does strange things to perfume sometimes! :P

I do see a Flower Moon=Phantom Queen comparison upthread that I can attest to though as those are two of the only florals that I like and they are very similar to this nose. And I love them both in early spring!

Last night I put on Ra from Stations of the Sun and for a while, it smelled a lot like the Pit and the Pendulum to me. Odd since the themes of the two are almost opposite... :P But I'm pretty sure they share a resin note or something.

Anyone coveting Blood Moon (or Red Phoenix for that matter) would do well by Tanin'iver. It lacks Blood Moon's grain note, but other than that it's about as close as it gets.

I posted this in my review, but Organ Grinder (at least the parts of it that I like) are duplicated in a slathering of Tombstone + a drop of talvikuu. I know, talvikuu is LE too, but... hey. It's worth mentioning.

Mme. Moriarty on my skin smells oddly like Vixen!

YMMV on my recommendations, since I have strange skin chemistry, but maybe it's worth a try!

:P