Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Hiya guys-

Does anyone here think that Ochosi is a good Buck Moon sub? How about Olokun for Cthulhu? I've heard the comparisons made in the review thread, but only by one or two people. I thought there might be more who haven't thought up a full review yet but could confirm!!

Also, I'm always on the hunt for a Cerberus sub if anyone's got an idea. Poor little doggie :P

I haven't tried Ochosi yet, but I think Coyote is similar to Buck Moon!

Anyone know an equivilant catalogue sniffie for Gypsy Queen '05? I love '05. I am praying that '06 smells the same, but it may not. So anything smell like GQ? :P

Does anyone here think that Ochosi is a good Buck Moon sub?

I haven't yet tried Ochosi, but I think Yggdrasil has a similar scent to Buck Moon.

Anyone know an equivilant catalogue sniffie for Gypsy Queen '05? I love '05. I am praying that '06 smells the same, but it may not. So anything smell like GQ? :P

It's not dead-on, but the incense + violets mix smells quite similar to Sybaris. I think if you layered it with a light floral that had roses in it, you might be able to get pretty close.

Edited by Diana

I find Baghdad to be similar to Gypsy Queen, but GQ has an added carnation-amber thing going on, Baghdad's also a bit woodier...

Anyone who regrets missing Underpants, try mixing Antique Lace with Morocco. The combined scent of the two is darn close. I also think adding a dash of Midway (though that's LE too) helps.

Hiya guys-

I haven't tried Ochosi yet, but I think Coyote is similar to Buck Moon!

I second this. Coyote is very, very similar to Buck Moon. Buck Moon is a bit lighter and more skin-scent-ish, Coyote is a bit sweeter. But overall they are very much alike. I'm wearing Coyote today -- I really love it. I think it's one of the "sleeper" GC scents; more people would like it if they tried it.

For those with Peony Moon, what do you think is the closest GC? I'm so eager to try mine, but still waiting on it.

Amsterdam, I think. I can't say I've sniffed the whole GC, but I ordered PM because I was so enchanted with Amsterdam's peony - and it's that note I focus on with both.

I'm laying in stores of EOM at this point - but I know the day will come when I am out. I've not found anything comparable so far in my sniffing...any ideas from the old-timers?

I'm one of the people who thinks that Ochosi is an excellent Buck Moon substitute :P. Actually, Ochosi smells like what I wanted Buck Moon to smell like. Buck Moon went soapy on me, but smells rather creamy and lovely in the bottle... Ochosi on me is like Buck Moon is in the bottle. Perhaps with a bit more honeyed sweetness than Buck Moon. Ochosi has been a 10 ml purchase for me.

But that's just me. Coyote wasn't very similar at all on my skin.

I have found that Obatala smells like Milk Moon and Ochosi smells like Buck Moon to me. Kitsune Tsuki smells a little like Budding Moon. Gluttony is the closest I have come to Lump of Coal.

Aged Bliss actually smells a lot like Lump of Coal on me, I've realized. In the drydown, I can barely tell them apart if I put them on separate wrists. Gluttony was hyper sweet and more maple syrup-candle on me than chocolate.

Anyone know an equivilant catalogue sniffie for Gypsy Queen '05? I love '05. I am praying that '06 smells the same, but it may not. So anything smell like GQ? :D

The Masque, from the Maelstrom collection, has a fairly similar feel to Gypsy Queen to me, though not so similar that I didn't want to spring for a bottle of it despite already having GQ. :P

But I've lately been going through an imp purge -- I picked out all of the imps from my collection that I wasn't sure about or hadn't worn in a while, and have been going through them deciding whether to keep or swap. And I've made some interesting discoveries.

Desire and Sed Non Satiata, to me, both have a very similar feel to the Masque and GQ. Of the four, I'd say Desire and GQ are closer together in scent, as are the Masque and SNS to each other. The former both have that really rich, incensey drydown, and the latter both have the same almost-edible honey sweetness.

So if you haven't tried either Desire or SNS, I'd say check them out, Desire especially. It's the closest GQ equivalent I've yet found.

I think a lot depends on skin chemistry, though -- I know I've seen some pairings listed here where I thought "What?! Those don't smell anything like each other!" Well, not on me, but that doesn't mean they don't on someone else...

I've probably said this about a dozen different scents over the past year or so, but Fortunato reminds me of Hunter Moon.

Has anyone run into a GC that's similar to Doc Buzzard? I don't normally go for the woodsy scents so my knowledge is limited, and since there aren't any notes listed, I can't even semi-cheat. :P

Anyone have any thoughts on GC scents similar to Underpants? A combination of Antique Lace and Morocco has been mentioned, but neither of those works on me, separately or together. But I LOVE Underpants. I wondered if any of the scents that don't have notes listed might POSSIBLY be similar. Any thoughts? Puhleese let there be one... ;-)

Monsterbait: Underbed is like a more complex version of Velvet. I luuuuurve that dry cocoa! I would add a drop of Elegba (coconut + booze) to the Velvet for an even closer match.

Underpants mainly reminded me of Grog--super-sweet rum. I'd layer that with your favorite vanilla scent (for me, that would be O) and see what you think.

Really? I'm under the impression that Smut and Scherezade are totally different scents. Smut's chocolate smoke, splashes of booze and sugared musk. Scherezade's a belly dancer's perfume of strong red musk and distinct, earthy spices.

To my nose, Elegba's the more versatile day version of Red Lantern. Red Lantern is heavier, more complex, and ressembles a tapestry. Elegba's the centerpiece of that tapestry -- it's the caramel-tinged coconut and booze scent that appears at the forefront of Red Lantern.

Really? I'm under the impression that Smut and Scherezade are totally different scents. Smut's chocolate smoke, splashes of booze and sugared musk. Scherezade's a belly dancer's perfume of strong red musk and distinct, earthy spices.

Description-wise they sound very different, but Smut reminds me very strongly of a less sweet Scherazade

Description-wise they sound very different, but Smut reminds me very strongly of a less sweet Scherazade

Oh! I meant that they smell very different to my nose.

Edited by Abberlaine Arrol

Minus the smoky note, Baghdad is pretty close to Gypsy Queen on me.

I can't smell the dif between Midnight Mass and Penitence...can anyone describe the dif to me?

I can't smell the dif between Midnight Mass and Penitence...can anyone describe the dif to me?

It probably depends on what they do on your skin...on me, Penitence is all about the myrrh with just a bit of frankincense in the background. Midnight Mass, on the other hand, is sweet, warm sandalwood and frankincense with maybe some myrrh in the background to deepen it.

Help.

I got an imp of Mi-Go and ADORE it. What smells similar to this in the GC? I'm worried I'm going to run out of my imp and be left without something I've fallen in love with!

(aw, jenleigh, wish I could help but I haven't the faintest...)

and I have a similar desperate question.

A very kind forumite sent me an imp of The Sleeper. Oh, wow. I love the way it blooms all strangely and beautifully vastly perfumey after a little time has passed.

This is amazing. I am, however, so new to all this I don't even know what notes are doing this...opium poppies??? oakmoss???what? The jasmine (I think) comes in early but then goes off into this cloud of intensity.

So--anyone, is there a similar GC scent?

Or, failing that, anyone have a clue as to which note it is that I am liking so much?