Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Innocent Souls Turned Carrion Birds

this gives me Shadow vibes. Labdanum is the strongest note. It's spicy and sweet, it doesn't go into root beer territory like it sometimes can. It has the sweet spiciness that some root beers have, without going full root beer. The sandalwood is providing a woody base that makes the labdanum behave. The grey musk is hanging around being a gauzey mist of musk that sometimes appears in front and sometimes behind. 

Edited by biggnerd

Very sheer, almost like a shroud, almost not there. The sandalwood is sharp, & reminds me of The Sun Rising. But it's tolerable, & I like the labdanum playing softly. It will have to age to get more throw & depth, I think. I can barely smell it.

*2 weeks later, December 14th: It smells airy, & still just barely there. But most I get is grey musk, or what I imagine to be that. This scent leaves ZERO impressions to others I.M.O. It is so sheer that it's not even there. Sometimes I smell something, but mostly I don't. & that really disappoints me. 😞

Edited by Rane.

For this blend the strongest note I get is the Labdanum. While I do get the sandalwoods they are mostly in the background to the Labdanum and the musk is non existent for me at the moment. This scent LASTS. When I first applied it in the morning to test it out I could still smell it by the end of the day. It also has some decent throw as well, I would say medium.  As for the actual scent Id say this is a unisex scent, that anyone could wear its also warm and I agree with the post before me that its very shroud like. Its like a fuzzy dark shroud. The Labdanum is the one to blame Id say, noticing that in other blends I have with it it has a similar effect. While there's no coconut, it has a scent profile very similar to my nose to coconut which again I feel the Labdanum is to blame.

A potent shimmering gray musk over sandalwood and spicy, slightly cola labdanum. 

Something sweetens this, something smells a bit floral, and something also gives a whistling high pitch of a scent when I first apply it -- the last reminds me of petitgrain.

In drying, Innocent Souls turns quite powdery on me, and I wonder if there's some white musk and/or orris contributing.

This is not my style of scent, but it adeptly suits the concept.

I am not going to be able to do this justice. It was one of the last decants I tested—the mention of cola/root beer wasn’t exciting for me. There is a richness, maybe something that might veer into cola territory, but it’s really quite beautiful and a surprise sleeper hit for me. This is sweet and spicy, strong and rich on me and might have to be a bottle. 

Edited by Seajewel

i get mostly sandalwood and musk with something almost softly spicy, but i think it's the sandalwood. i get the coca cola thing that bpal's labdanum note does. i always forget that it's unique in that way, till i try a perfume with it again. dries down to a soft woody musk. very pretty but i am wishing there were more top notes, guess.

This is my favorite of the 15 Weenies I tried or blind bought this year. I love a grey musk and this fits the bill. It's not perfumey or foody but has a unique atmospheric fuzzy feel that works so well for me. 

It finally happened. It matured enough to make a stand out impression. Grey musk, toasty grey sandalwood, & a little labdanum to sweeten it all up. Like I said before, it is shroud-like, clings close to the body/low throw. It's a gorgeous, foggy, dewy day impression. As the person above me said, "a unique atmospheric fuzzy feel". 🤍

Edited by Rane.

Wet: Ooh, this is fancy and sort of sexy, yet understated. Whispers of incense and dust and musk.

Drydown: A gently warm, rich, powdery, musky sandalwood. So calming and grounding. There's a bit of sweetness and woody tang to it, but it's also earthy and smokey and it all balances out to a perfectly smooth finish. Some spiciness, but it's quiet. Grey yes, but there's also a soft, golden-amber glow. Sophisticated but approachable.

Dry: It stays true. Sniffing it I'm picturing hugging a particular type of person. Steady, reliable, well-read, experienced, considerate, spiritual, wise, a smart dresser. This is the person everyone needs when they're going through it. They'll help you with your paperwork, make you some soup, give you a few perfectly-stated words of advice that you'll mull over and appreciate more and more later. This is that one really good friend/mentor/older cousin that you don't see often, but cherish every time you do. They probably own a bookshop. They definitely drink tea.

8.5 out of 10 bones

Musky, opium-heavy with a touch of grape. I think for me the grey musk comes through the most, and the labdanum ends up sort of opium-resin heavy. Medium throw and wear length

I tested ISTCB blind and thought, I'm not sure what's in here, but definitely labdanum, that lovely cola labdanum.  It may be my first experience of both grey musk and grey sandalwood.  It's a lovely scent, kind of pearly, but it didn't last long on me. I'm going to keep the decant to see if it develops more longevity with age, but I fear this one may be too ethereal for me.  

Loved this one from the bottle and on first application, it was a really lovely warm, fuzzy scent. Felt a bit like a really nice ambergris. Unfortunately, the grey sandalwood must be what has been turning to straight-up alcohol on my skin, because after a minute or so, that's all I can smell. It does the same thing that Pyramid of Skulls does on my skin and just ends up smelling like I just sprayed an EDP with a really strong alcohol base.

i really was not expecting to like this as much as i do. but i shouldn't be surprised, because when reviews start saying cola resin, i usually love it.  sure enough, that almost sassafras-y labdanum is front and center here.  i don't always get cola when everyone says cola, but in this instance i certainly do, and i love it. 

the sandalwood is a touch dry, which is usually not my preferred kind of kind of sandalwood, but it plays so well here with that sweet almost fizzy labdanum.  they balance each other very well.

grey musk is new one to me, and in this instance i don't actually find it very musky at all. it's more like a thick grey fog overlaying the other notes.  it's making this blend just a touch cologney, skewing it slightly masculine, though not so much so that it couldn't be enjoyed by all genders imo.

there is a somberness to this one; a chilly aloofness.  it will rest next to the scales of deprivation in my collection, which i wear when i want to feel unapproachable.

Edited by MamaMoth

I tend to love these simple blends that are just a few notes that I love combined, but I'm not actually sure how I feel about this one. I don't know that I've smelled the lab's grey musk note before, I just assumed I would love it like I love all musk. But somehow it's combining with the sweet syrupy labdanum in a way that reminds me of a champagne note. Sweet and almost effervescent. I'm not getting any of the sandalwood at all, sadly. This one is not as much of a win for me as I had hoped. It's kind of just OK on me. Clean, sweet, and a bit like champagne.