Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Fir Needle & Smoke

Early first test: this is beautiful. Usually with smoky blends they come on strong and settle with age, but there's barely any smoke, just a hint which seems to support this ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS Fir needle, which seems sweeter than I was expecting. If you are a conifer lover (as I am), this is worth trying. Right now (two days after arrival) it is an instant love for me. I actually hope it doesn't change because I love it.

ETA: Well, the wispy smoke has turned into a champaca and the fir isn't as sweet as it initially was, but I still like it.

Edited by HerbGirl
Time changes everything

Fir Needle and Smoke is indeed lovely. It is strongest on the fir needle, with just a wisp of smoke in the background that doesn't come out until much later in wear. The fir needle is bright, and as HerbGirl noted, has a nice sweetness to it.

I'm so glad that this is way more fir needle than smoke. I'll definitely be hanging on to my decant, and I may end up upgrading this one to a bottle (especially if I can come up with some good layering possibilities). 

How lovely this is in its opening: an atmospheric fir needle ghosted by a softer, haunting wood smoke.

This smelled so beautiful on me for a few minutes, but it faded so quickly. I would love to see more of these two notes together in future blends, though. I wish they found my arm a more hospitable place to remain.

Purchased a decant of this. It’s really lovely. The fir note is perfectly balanced with the smoke. I’ve never worn anything like this, so I have no idea what to layer it with but I love it solo. I don’t know if I’m upgrading to a full size, but out of the few duets I tested from this release, this is the strongest contender. I’m actually tempted by that cute birdie bottle artwork too. I think what’s keeping me on the fence is the fairly short wear. I’ll be retesting this and will at least enjoy my decant. 

This one starts out all fir -- fresh, full-on Christmas tree fir. As it dries down, the smoke starts to come out and balance out the fir. It's a subtle, slightly sweet smoke, not at all overpowering. It's a really lovely, atmospheric winter scent, but it fades fast on my skin. I think I'd love this as an atmo.

This is SUPER pretty.  I'm not even that much of an evergreen fan.  I like foresty smells, but I usually prefer them in background, bolstering resins or florals.  The fir needles smell realistic to me, and though I don't really smell smoke, I get the sense that the greenery is soften by its presence.  I'm thinking I might try layering this with Amber and Cardamom and see what I get.  I'm also wondering if it would smell like the SN Discarded Popcorn Garland from a few years ago if it was mixed with the Cranberries and Popcorn blend.  Hmmmmm... I might have to report back on this one.  :think:

Fir trees, condensed and gorgeous fir trees!
It begins with the same sweet and slushy/snowy for note that is also in Winter Scene In Little Russia,

but with a little bit of smoky depth coming through.

The smoke is a tease on my skin. I was hoping for a more smoky bonfire smell intermingled with the fir.

Still, this is a particularly full of win find for me because I love the purity of it. It is untainted holiday tree sweetness in a bottle.
This is the smell  of walking through a Douglas Fir tree farm and stopping to huff a good looking branch...(I love tree-stank) while the girly and glittery floral perfume you put on that morning wafts up from your wrists. (It isn’t overpoweringly floral...if anyone remembers Snow Bunny, it reminds me of it!)
It has wonderful throw and lasts for quite a while!! 
Oh! There’s the lovely smokey goodness! It appears and rallies after about 2 hours on me, and I am in heaven!
I need a gallon of this.

Smoky pine. I sort of love it. I think this would make a great atmo actually. Good throw and wear length.

This is sweet but realistic fir (such a good note, unf) with a wispy, almost delicate smoky note somewhere between woodsmoke and incense. It immediately brings to mind that dark, almost black northern fir with soft, snow-dusted needles, pale crystals of sap frozen on rough bark. The smoke smells distant, like there's civilization somewhere but it's far outside the forest you're in. It's so cozy and pretty and really blossoms on the skin in cold weather. I see myself wearing this often in fall and winter and am happy to have a bottle. It layers wonderfully, too, with amber, snowy scents, gourmands, vanilla, woods . . . the sky's the limit.

Edit: I echo the sentiments that an atmo of this would be amazing. I'd need gallons. :D

Edited by feyofthefellwood

I love fir, pine, etc. blends. This is almost straight fir on my skin. Clean, sweet, green, and medicinal. The smoke is just, like, something vague in the background. Not acrid or heavy at all. If you want more smoke consider blending with Bonfire SN. A fine addition to my collection of evergreen scents.