Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Mountain Temple

This is the surprising winner of my Yule bottles. This is a light incense blend base capped with an evergreen snow note. The evergreen is lifting with a hint of sweetness.

The Mountain Temple is light and comforting and perfect for winter in a very subtle way.

The perfume has low throw. I keep burying my nose into the skin where I applied it and smiling.

I wish I could add more to that, but I had exactly the same experience as brineydeep. 😂 It's a lovely light incense with a hint of chilly, gently greenish snow and a very slight sweetness. It doesn't throw very far, but it lasts a decent amount of time and I found it detectable even after washing my hands a few times. It faded to a very pale sweet sandalwood.

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do, but I'm really happy I blind bottled it, and can see myself wearing this a lot this winter when I want something serene to wear that won't draw a lot of attention. I think this will make a really good work scent.

I have several wintry incense blends, so I thought I knew what Mountain Temple would smell like. Au contraire. I was not prepared for how snowy this blend would be - a bright, slushy snow with some kind of winter flower that I can't name. Narcissus? Snow magnolia? It is akin to a sugared mint or a yuzu, a sweet and cheerful kind of fragrance in spite of the cold. If I figure out the flower, I will report back with an update.

Meanwhile, the incense is but a curl through the snow-blanketed forest on this mountain, something that is certainly not pine - it's softer, more rounded - but a wood that is evergreen and vivid. I was surprised at how forest-y the blend was, since I expected a paler, wafty sandalwood incense with a sprinkling of cool snow; I was caught off-guard by a snowy green wood that is still very much alive, with little drops of snow-flowers bursting through like harbingers of spring. Far from pale! Mountain Temple is beautiful and vibrant, it is just a different picture than the one I imagined, and I'm totally okay with that.

A medium throw and long (and pretty) wear when fresh like this promises great things with aging. Can't wait to smell this next Yule and see how it's come along.

Mountain Temple smells so much to me like Winter Landscape -- but with much less of the minty snow -- that on the second testing, I put them both on to compare.

Winter Landscape: A snow-thick scent, chalky with sandalwood and clove, streaked iron-orange and tonka-brown.
Mountain Temple: White sandalwood incense flakes and snow.

Yes, they really smell nearly alike on my skin, other than having different amounts and maybe types of snow. The snow in Winter Landscape is much heavier and more minty on me, and the incense in Mountain Temple is stronger. Otherwise, inhaling one immediately brings the other to mind for me.

Both blends are wintry and meditative in their mood. I actually prefer Mountain Temple, but they are close enough that my older bottle will likely suffice.

Lovely blend.

Chilly snow, with touches of  sandalwood and clove. It's a sort of masculine snow blend. Sweet, chilly snow. Good throw and wear length.

Slushy snow, with a definite sweetness from the sandalwood. It's lovely, but I don't think it's for me (I lean more toward Frostbitten Kumiho).