Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Manila

A tropical, humid, lush scent, with a faint echo of Pacific breezes, jungle blossoms, and deep wet woods. Sampaguita blossoms, banana leaf, palm, and narra.

On me, Manila started out fruity and sweet like Wrigley's Juicyfruit gum. Then a cedarwood note developed. My husband said it smelled pretty. I will try it again and see what happens when I'm not just getting over a cold, but it didn't bowl me over with its loveliness like Aizen-Myoo did.

In the imp: Oh noes--ze fruit! Fruit scents are very difficult for me; they always smell so sweet.

Wet: Indeed, the fruit smell persists. On me, this is pretty strong. I can't pick out any particular notes, but I'm not familiar with the components of this blend.

Dry-down and wear: This tones down a little bit, and I did prefer it to Machu Picchu. However, I still think this will go in the swap pile. It's a very summer scent, and I am just not a summer person at all.

I ordered this because I was intrigued by all the banana-y reviews and I do like some of the banana-y Lush products. This definitely starts off as a hot warm banana scent with a heavy deep tropical note underneath it. There's a headiness to that tropical scent. As it dries the banana note fades off leaving a the tropical note which lightens up a little bit and isn't as heady as it dries. Leaving a hint of fruitness and a deep perfume note.

Huh, I never got around to posting a review of this.

In the bottle: bananas. I'm glad that I didn't sniff this wet the first time I tried it on, because I never would have tried it if I had.

On: the bananas fade in about a minute, and the scent morphs into a smooth, luscious tropical floral with pineapple.

20+ minutes: still the luscious tropical florals and pineapple, with just the teensiest waft of spice.

One of my favorites, and highly recommended. Wow, do I need to get a bottle and stop rationing my imp.

I got this in a swap - I was excited to try this because it seems like all of the Wanderlust oils work well for me....

In the bottle: first whiff is green bananas and florals. Second whiff is disinfectant - I think to myself, give it a good try because other scents have suprised the hec out of me - so I press on!

Wet: Okay - all I am getting is Banana Disinfectant - no yummy tropical forest that I was excited for.

Dry Down: Woodsy Banana Disinfectant - wtf? This stuff is making me nauseated!

1/2 hr later - the smell is almost completely gone but what is left that I can barely smell is what I think Manila *was* supposed to be on the first swipe.

Conclusion: My skin must not like banana. This was a real disappointment to me and the only Wanderlust that hasn't worked. If the aroma I could barely catch at the 1/2 hr mark was what it was supposed to be on first swipe, this might have been a keeper. Big Bummer...

Purchased for my upcoming visit to the Philippines. My family's Filipino, so I think it was so great that Beth had made this scent. I ordered it unsniffed and received it today.

In the bottle: Mmm, bananas. My dad loves bananas, so we've always got some at home. It reminds me of that one corner of our kitchen where we keep our bananas. I'm getting hungry. (I also haven't eaten today, because my building is having a Christmas party, catered, so I'm planning on eating my fill.)

Wet: Holy banana leaf, Batman! Not a banana fruit scent, but a plant-y, green banana scent. They have these huge bunches of tiny bananas, like the ones you see on the trees, whole, that you can buy in the Philippines, that I think I grew up on whenever I visited my family. I'm remembering those now.

Drydown: The banana leaf is fading, and I'm getting a sharp, green woodsy scent from the palm and narra (similar in appearance to mahogany). There's a certain sweetness to it from the banana (now it's getting more fruity). The woodsy scent retreats and you get a floral/fruity tropical scent.

For those of you who were wondering, sampaguita is the Philippines' national flower and a member of the jasmine family, but has a sharper scent to it. We've got some at home, and I can't go by our plant without smelling the flowers. They make sampaguita chains to put around the necks of their statues of the Infant Jesus/the Virgin Mary/etc. (it's a very religious country) so I associate the scent with churches and the statues my family members keep in their houses. It's beginning to come out a bit now, and gives a sharp floral edge to the sweet tropical-fruity banana.

Dry: The sampaguita is coming to the fore, and the banana is backing off a little. Palm and narra are still present to give the scent some depth, but overall it's much lighter than when I first put it on.

I give this a 4.5. It encapsulates the scent of the Philippines very well (not Metro Manila, as others have said, obviously; nobody wants to smell like gridlock traffic). I know it might be weird to bring a "Manila" scent to the Philippines, but I will anyway.

Edited by Shollin

This smells similar to the rainforest I visited in South America. I love the wet vegetation and humidity. :P

Sadly, I bought this as a gift and haven't been able to try it on my skin yet. I adore it in the bottle though.

In the vial: Sweet on top, with an undernote of tang.

On the wrist: Very citrus-y -- oranges, mangoes, melons, with green vegetation underneath.

Later: Softens out to something generically pretty -- jungle blossoms and all that -- but nothing that really knocks my socks off.

manila.jpg

Imp: Pure banana runts. (You know, those little nana shaped hard candies).

Wet: Much less banana now (though its still there). I kinda get a gingery-mango-y floral.

Drying: Takes on a light woody note, retains the fruit, but it’s a drier fruit, rather than a sweet juicy one. There seems to be a hint of a tart citrusy/pineapple in here, too.

Drydown: This is lovely. Its light and sweet and woody and fruity , and the woods actually DO smell damp. Everytime I sniff, I smell something different…pineapple? Banana? Flowers? Trees? Dripping leaves? Its dynamic and lovely.

I also notice that from far away its a creamy but fruity white floral smell, and up close its much sharper, tarter, with more damp woods. Fascinating!

Overall: The throw is good and dynamic, the staying power is moderate. I really would love to wear this one in the spring/summer, I think. I'll be keeping my imp and deciding whether I want a bottle or not. Mmmm, might smell nice incorporated into my bath products, too!

This was the very first scent I bought from the lab. I'm not sure why I haven't reviewed it before now. Aside from the fact I'm Filipina, I have a deep love of sampaguita, so I had to try this blend.

On first application, however, banana is the dominant note on me. There's a lush floral behind it, ripe fruits, and the hint of a wood note.

As it dries, it gets a little smokier, a little less sweet. There's also a spicy note I hadn't noticed before. It fades a lot on me, but I'm happy to slather this one. It doesn't smell quite like I'd hoped it would, but it's delicious, just the same.

frimp from the lab.

In the bottle: Candy. Sugary-sweet. Very tropical. Synthetic fruit (not bad).

Wet on skin: the woody/dusty smell starts to come out which is exactly where I want it to go, still sweet.

A lot of people say they're getting bananas out of this scent, but surprisingly I keep smelling light flowers, soft cedar and pineapples! Good throw, but sometimes a little medicinal on my skin.

Dry down: still remains very sweet, but not as overwhelming in the bottle. I like it but I don't think the scent is really 'me.' I might wear it on a hot summer night, but not in a rust belt winter.

Manila

In the imp: ooh, exotic bananas! It smells sweet and tropical, like bananas with something else added.

Wet on skin: still bananas, but there’s something else here which is slightly woody (palm?) and something smoothly sweet.

Dry: this is very nice. It’s a sweet, moist, tropical jungle scent-I get a real feeling of humidity from this scent, it’s hot and steamy and damp, reminds me of those tropical botanical greenhouses like the Eden Project and Kew Gardens. The note I recognise most in this is banana, but this isn’t blatant banana, I think it’s slightly green (makes sense, it is banana leaf, not the fruit). I also get some other notes I’m not too familiar with but I think I get something that may be palm…it’s slightly dry and wooden-green in scent. I’m still amazed at how well this scent evokes being in a jungle.

After a while: there’s now a feel of decay to the scent (but not in a bad way-it’s like decomposing plant life on the rainforest floor) and the banana scent ripens and becomes sweeter. I think the palm scent is a bit stronger now, adding a nice contrasting dryness to the damp feel that the overall scent has.

The banana note darkens, sweetens and ripens even more as time passes, almost over-ripening. Eventually I get something else-a creamy smoothness, which may or may not be floral. Interesting. There’s also a hint of pineapple at times, which really fits in with the tropical feel of the scent.

Verdict: I’m always amazed at how Wanderlust scents can be like nose-journeys (travel the world without leaving home!)…this scent really does give a feel of being in a humid jungle, it’s steamy and hot and with a scent of bananas and other exotic plants. It’s sweet, damp, and with a slight feel of decay to it (though not in a bad way). I’m at a loss as to how Beth can not only capture the scent, but the feel and climate of a place in a scent-in this case, sultry and damp tropical heat. Other than banana’s fruity sweetness, I get a hint of dry palm and some other notes I’m not familiar with. It’s a lovely scent and very evocative of island rainforests and jungles, but it’s not something I need a bottle of. I’ll keep the imp though, as it’s a great antidote for winter.

Fruity. Not fakey banana, but sweet and fresh. Drying down, it becomes a sweet, white floral that is quite like tuberose, but not like BPAL's tuberose (haven't had much luck with them...). A bit of smokey wood comes through. Divine. A mysterious summer scent. Definitely in the same league as Eden, but much less green.

My first review! I want to love this scent. My twin sister's best friend (a womanl I enjoy very muchly as well) lives near Manila and we, the Wisconsin bound, would one day really like to meet Sakura-san. So for now, this.

In the imp: Incense. With Fake bananas. Also: Ouch. Something about this was like an ice-pick to the brain.

Wet: Ouch! More ice picking happening and I'm starting to feel sick. Still incense with fake banana. Very incense, which I assume is the narra.

Dry 5 min: I am terribly afraid that I'm going to have to wash this one off. The fake-banana (which, does, actually smell more green than ripe) and the incense are vying for attention; I feel sick and headache-y.

Dry 30 min: Must. Wash. Off. Good news is, not much throw on this...my son didn't smell it until I hugged him off to half-day pre-K. It's a close scent which swirls up. A lot, apparently. I feel like I'm going to throw up, actually.

Dry 1 hour: Washed off with soap and water and with rubbing alcohol. It has staying power because I can still smell it! But the headache is gone and, while I'm still a little queasy, I no longer feel like I'm about to throw up. Which is actually good because...something is happening. The banana smell is just about gone, leaving just green-banana scent, very faintly. Something sweet and lush has come out to play and the incense smell has calmed down. There is also a humid feeling to the smell--not wet or damp, humid. It's pleasant.

Dry 2 hours: The wood/incense note has softened a lot and it really grounds the sweet smell of the blossoms (I'd say 'florals' but there's something sharper to it, like jasmine, with a kick). There's a hint of humid 'green' and, yup, some fruit. Not just banana, though that's there too. I'm sort of glad it survived the wash.

Dry 3 hours: Sort of a creamy-sweet, with a note of wood/incense. Still has that warm, humid scent, too. Overall, it's tropical and very nice. It'd be a good scent for summer--it's light and cheerful. Not worth the hour-long headache and sickness, though.

Dry 5 hours: Still haning in there, though it's gone to a soapy smell, now. Not a bad smell, just...soapy.

I'm going to try it as a bath-scent and I'll update when I do.

Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Bananas.

On my skin: Still bananas. After it dries some faint wood notes start to come out.

An hour later, it's about half banana, half incense (sandalwood?). It stays pretty much the same throughout the day.

Eh. It's okay but not really my thing. Guess this will be my first swap.

A tropical, floral perfume, deepened by the sweetness of banana leaf. Don't worry, this isn't an overwhelming, superripe, fake-smelling banana - it's perfect. It adds just enough depth and sweetness to keep this oil from smelling overly "perfumey". I see this as the perfect perfume to go with a big, bright, flowered dress (or bathing suit!) on a hot day.

In the vial: At first sniff, it smells like artificial banana-flavoring.

Wet on me: The banana smell morphs and is joined by the sampaguita blossom.

Drydown: Turns to a pretty tropical island in the summer smell. It's like walking on a sandy beach peppered with palms and coconut trees swaying in the gentle breeze.

20 minutes later: It's fading fast. I can hardly catch a whiff of it on my wrist. :sigh:

Verdict: The imp is a keeper, I wish it had lasting power though.

Edited by mandragora

I got bananas, pineapple, and coconut, wet, tropical blossoms, and the sea breeze--for about ten minutes. This part is beautiful. I thought I would really like it.

Then Manila was nothing but pencil shavings. Like walking through the lumber section of a home supply store.

Squick. I think my skin drinks the good stuff in this blend. To the swaps.

when i first tried this i got lovely, lush, tropical blooms and bananas. so much fun and so unsual! unfortunatly, that seemed to be a fluke. in repeat wearings it was a humid, incensey scent. very pretty in it's own right, but i was so disappointed by the disappearing act the bananas pulled i was never able to quite forgive it.

This one starts out smelling fruuuuuuuuity. Tropical fruits. Then it goes to juicy florals. Then it goes away. In twenty minutes there is nothing left. oh well

this smells like tropical skittles! at first, it is very sweet.

after a while I can start to smell pineapple, ocean and green... maybe palms?

not really me but I'll keep it because it smells so pretty.

Oh, wow! Virgin banana daquiri. This is fruity but fresh - a nice contrast to the extremely sweet fruit notes in oils like Yerevan and March Hare. After a few minutes, a vaguely aquatic note comes through to back up the fruit.

This is not, I think, a perfume for everyday wear. At least not here in the north! It would get a little distracting, smelling like vacation all the time.

That said, I thik this would make a very good room scent for the summer. Manila is one of those iconic smells that is very good at evoking a mood.

On me, the wood notes are quite prominent. I was pleasantly surprised by their richness - there's a dark smell which I think is the palm, similar to the wood in Intrigue. There's also a sort of sassafras-like smell that's a little brighter. The banana leaf is sweet at first, but natural - not at all fake-banana. I didn't get a lot of floral, just more of an overall hot-and-humid smell. I even get a bit of tropical earth along with the plants.

This wears really well - not as the sweet novelty scent I thought it might be, but as something I'd wear to an evening event or to sleep in. Very impressive!

Like some of the other reviewers, this started out syrupy and fruity, but gets deeper and spicier when the wood comes out. This is really lovely, spicy and woody with creamy fruit and floral notes. I bet I'd enjoy this in the summertime more, though. I'll definitely keep the imp around.

manila.jpg

What a neat idea, this blend starts out with a banana introduction! You might stop right there and say,"Ewwww". Don't. This one is very well done indeed. It does have a very beautiful floral background and scented woody kick which gives a more sultry backdrop to the funny fanfare that opened it. Alas, it doesn't last too long, and that banana note fades rapidly, but it was fun while it lasted. If you try Manila, you would definately want to put it in a scent locket. It's a good blend, I think it's one of the earliest ones and doesn't have the crisp sophistication that blends after about 2005 have, but it is well worth trying out and you might love it for all it's raw monkey goodness. It would be worthy.