Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
EvilKitten

Blood Countess

... Corrupted black plum, smoky opium and crumbling dead roses covered by a deceptive veil of Hungarian lilac, white gardenia and wild berry.

I'm surprised I like this one, but I do! It's a sweet, yummy floral-plum thing on me, really nice. The roses don't show themselves, thank God - they always turn to pure soap on my skin.

In the bottle this smelt lightly floral. On me it was sickly sweet, quite too fruity. After a while the fruityness lightened and I could smell the rose and lilac come out. It lasted a fair while, towards the end there was on a slight bit of opium that I could smell. It's a very lovely, feminine smell that I adore, will be getting a bottle of this!

I had to get this since I read a book with the same name years ago that I really liked. This oil is a great match for Bathory. I don't get much floral here, and definitely not the roses. It's mostly dark fruit with just a touch of sinister smokiness. A touch on the sweet side for me when I first put it on but that fades off. My only problem is that there's very little throw unless I'm really warm.

On principle I really like the smell of Blood Countess -- it's rich, dark, sweet, juicy fruit with a shroud of lilac blossoms (not floral enought to bother me, plus I love lilac) and that hint of opium smoke. I don't recognize gardenia easily enough to pick it out here, but that might be the fault of my scent recognition and not skin chemistry suppressing it. Something about this combination reminds me of country jar candles, though... or potpourri.

If I can get myself to quit thinkng about that association (and if no one else picks up on it -- when I expressed my concern to the boy he waved it off and said it "smelled nice, though"), I think the Countess and I will get along famously.

all i'm getting from this is plum and opium, which are probably my least favorite notes in this scent. it's a cloyingly sweet fruity-floral on my skin, which isn't really suited to my tastes. i'll have to swap this.

This is rich and regal...voluptuous. It makes me think of deep red velvet with ornate gold trim. It smells floral to me, but I was also expecting to see amber in the notes, or some resin....that's probably the opium; if so, it's the strongest note I think. Also I thought I smelled patchouli. This scent smells deep, dark and fruity, with a core of corruption. Something softly decaying hiding in the middle of the scent. I don't smell much rose.

Blood Countess smells good to me, although I don't know if I would actually wear it on a regular basis.

I agree that this is a very regal scent. Rich, feminine, and decadent. I like the pictures it brings to mind - of gardens and elaborate dresses, and palaces.

It smells a little smokey, but mostly like honey?, plum and florals. It might be too floral for me, but it certainly is a lovely scent. I hope I can wear it ^.^

In the imp: Sweet fruit is immediately followed by florals.

Wet: Sweet berries with a hint of floral. I'm not a floral person but this is rather nice, I just hope the rose doesn't take over.

Drydown: As I expected the plum quickly takes centre stage as it normally does on me. However this isn't like the plum in Bordello, Bathsheba or Hellion, it's softer and isn't as sweet. There's a resin like darkness to it too, just lurking in the background. I'm guessing that's opium. As it dries the florals come out a little more, thankfully the lilac rather than the rose!

Early Dry: Plummy florals with a touch of smokey darkness. The rose has come out, but the other notes are keeping it well in check. The plum has sweetened up a bit too. Although a softer scent it has a reasonable amount of throw which is all plum. Again that's expected, plum throws like crazy on me.

Later Dry: It gets darker and smokier, almost incensy, and the florals fade into the background although the plum remains the top note. It's soft and feminine, but with a darker core that suggests strength. The staying power is pretty good too.

This is quite a complex scent that moves through several phases, each as stunningly beautiful as the one before. I absolutely love this and I will definitely be getting a bottle.

In the imp: Oooooooh myyyy gooooooood. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this! This is... a heady, sweet, purse-your-lips and grin evilly scent.

Wet: Rose, lilac and opium. That initial heady rush bursts open when it hits my skin, the plum coming to the fore. It's juicy, and wet, and dark and seductive. This... awe hell. I'm going to need a bottle of this if it stays consistent through the drydown.

Drydown: Plum, berries, florals wilting on dusty table tops, long skirts brushing across stone floors. This is beautiful. Really, honest-to-god, slap-in-the-face stunning. It makes me feel elegant, purposeful. I want to sit up straighter and keep my dirty, filthy, naughty secrets all to myself - only to be hinted at to passersby with a small, cheshire smile and lowered eyelids.

Must. Get. Bottle.

5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

Yay! I've made 5 orders from BPAL in the last two months and this was the one I'd been wishing for the hardest. Naturally, it was the last to arrive, but it's oh-so-worth-it! :D I ordered a bottle of Blood Countess and Coyote without ever having so much as tested an imp of either. I was really lucky that my predictions were dead on. :D

Blood Countess ROCKS. It makes be both thirsty and imaginative at the same time. It's rather like Hanging Gardens except that it lacks the spicy note. I smell lots of plum, opium and berries, with some sort of sexy floral around the edges. This is incredibly wet and wanton and lacking in any shame or humility whatsoever. Perfect for it's namesake.

I'm glad I have the bottle and I'm certain that it will be replaced when it's finished. :P

In the vial:

a watery plum

On me:

Well this goes on pretty interesting - that plum is pretty apparent but it's kind of watery - like diluted plum juice if that makes sense. Or perhaps an underripe plum. And I catch the wild berries there too, very soft but very fruity and sweet. The lilac is definitely there too - lending an airy floral angle to this.

Eventually the gardenia adds a sort of... I dunno, bitter perhaps? - edge to the floral side and the berries are tart and sweet. I'd have a hard time deciding whether or not to call this a fruit scent or a floral to be honest, it really straddles both very well.

I am so SHOCKED that the roses are not killing this for me. They're there, but they're surprisingly subdued.

It's a sort of fuschia smell - tart, airy, floral, complex and somehow both bright and dark.

Very complex and pretty.

Final note:

I only recently added this to my wishlist because for so long I figured the roses would be the end of this scent on me and why bother trying it? But I got curious about those berries and plum and lilac and I'm really lucky that a kind fellow forumite gave it to me as an extra (thanks spark!). It's very pretty and totally unexpected. I will be keeping this imp and wearing it again for sure, and deciding then whether or not this calls for a bottle.

Me? Buying a bottle of a scent with ROSE in it?? *gasp*

This reminds me of Pannychis at first - there's a definite element of that dry white wine throw. The fruit notes start to peek out after a bit. The floral elements become more insistently floral after a short while and kill the white wine and fruit. While this isn't a bad scent, it's just a bit too floral for me without a musk, wine, spice, or wood note to temper it.

At first, this was all dark dark red wine on me...like Id spilled a glass of it upon myself. It was so dark, and so rich that my mouth watered involuntarily, even though I rarely drink wine.

Now, after a bit...its still very red and juicy...but I can get the berry'/fruit thing now. Im kinda glad it calmed down a bit...i dont wanna smell like a sloppy lush lol.

Its very pretty and I love it...just have to get through the first 5 minutes.

In the bottle: Oh yum. Wine, berries, light floral & opium. I :P wine & opium.

First on: Spicy opium with a hint of wine. I can pick out the gardenia and I hope it doesn't come out more because this is the perfect blend on me. Ever.

Drydown: OMG it stayed the same!! Granted it's only been about 45 minutes, but usually by then it's changed. This is one of my new all time favorite scents! I wanted it for over 2 years, but no one ever had an imp to spare, and now I know why.

In the vial - Smells like that lovely Asian plum wine, but I definitely get a hint of the lilac, too. Yummy!

Wet on skin - Sweet berries and plum, not much like wine anymore. The lilac stays in the background shyly, but the rose and the opium are coming out nicely. None of the notes are overpowering, it's awesomely well blended and very fruity and feminine. Definitely sexy.

Drydown - Wow, the wine is coming back, just in the right amount to be not too boozy but dark and sexy combined with an awesome fruitiness. Now I can definitely notice the gardenia softening the blend; the opium is nice and slightly spicy and I can actually pick out all listed notes without being overwhelmed by a single one - this is awesome.

Overall a nice, incredibly sexy, dark red scent that I'll definitely get a bottle of. My certain favourite (out of the only forty-something I've tried up to now), this is perfect.

Blood Countess, I love thee!

Edited 'cause I can't type for toffee.

Edited by Irukandji

In the bottle: It smells sharp.

Wet: fruit fruit fruit! It's very sweet, lots of berries and plum, with a smoky backdrop. I'm sure there are florals in there, but it's all overshadowed by the fruit.

Dry: This morphs only a little. The sweetness and strength of the fruit has faded, allowing the other notes to come through, and so it's much better balanced. I smell fruit, light florals, and light smoke. It's hard to pick out single notes on the florals, they all blend together well.

Later: Still the same character, but the fruits are continuing to soften. Now a light smoky note is on top.

This one seems to be fading fast, but it's really lovely. The predominant character is fruity, but the florals and smoke balance this out. Unlike many smoky fragrances, this one is very light and gentle. Moderate throw at best. From a distance, I mostly get light smoke and florals, with a hint of sweetness.

I'm actually surprised at how light it is. I thought the countess would be much heavier and more dangerous. For summer I love fruity and smoky scents. This one fits that bill perfectly, and because it's light, I think it will be excellent for summer. I'll definitely consider 5 ml of this.

Recommended for anyone who wants to try a smoky scent that isn't so heady, dark or heavy, or for anyone who likes fruit.

Edited by naeelah

Blood Countess was my first experience with BPAL... and I am so glad the Countess "took" my "virginity", if you will. Though luckily for me the real Erzebet did not. *ahem!*

But it was amazing to open the vial and get that first scent... delicious. I agree that it starts out intensely floral (but I enjoy that), but it fades to a delicious smokiness, with the florals lightly wafting in the background.

I find it extremely alluring, sexy... but also very... dangerous? Or rather, I feel empowered while wearing it, like I have a naughty little secret. And, I again concur with past posters that it's too much fun telling people what you're wearing.

"Why, you smell delicious! What is that?"

"Oh, you know, Blood Countess."

"..."

And, also, as I have known of Bathory for a long time, have her McFarlane action figure, and dressed up as her for Halloween 2005, I was pretty overjoyed really that they had this scent in the first place. And yes, I realize she was very awful and heinous, but so fascinating and mysterious.

Plum, gardenia, rose, and lilac are some of my favourite notes but...will they work together? :D

Blood Countess starts off spicy plum - I assume the spice is the opium, very nice! I was worried opium wouldn't work since poppy doesn't on me (they are related, right?) but it does, yay! The wild berry comes up next and joins in with the plum and opium. As Blood Countess dries, I get gardenia with a hint of lilac and the faintest breath of rose mixing with the spicy berry and plum. Amazing! This is dark and sinister but feminine as well. I'm very impressed with this scent. :P

In the bottle:

Confusing. Plums, berry, sweet decay.

Wet:

Still very confusing. Fruity, some opium smoke, some florals... still that sweet decay note.

Dry down:

The icky sweet decay note went away, thankfully! Fruity, floral, and a little diabolical. I'm surprised at how plummy/berry this is. The hazy smoke note is just barely there and the florals are very light. I can barely pick out the rose, lilac and gardenia, and would never guess them without looking at a note list.

Final thoughts:

A very dark, mature scent.

In imp: oh, mmm. Mmmohmmm. This smells like something I know very well, but can't place my finger on it. I can place my finger on smoky eyes and a velvet skirt and a lace corset, though. This is intoxicating...

Wet: aristocracy, can't think of any other way to describe it. It's stuffy and sensual, dark and decadent.

Drydown: the opium, I think, over the florals, gives it its wicked-yore appeal. It's borderline "old lady," but has an x-factor that commands attention.

Dry: it's just getting better...

For me, Blood Countess starts off a beautiful, lush blend of berries, plums, and roses. A smokiness brought by the opium soon emerges, and begins to mix with the other notes... At that stage it's just perfect -- so sexy. Spicy berry-plum roses. It's gorgeous. I don't like to think of it as a thick-smelling scent, say, as thick as the blood of virgins mixed with roses into some sort of congealed bath stew, because, ew, I am not down with the slaughter of virgins or even trampy chicks (everyone knows women only come in those two types). But for the sake of providing an accurate review, this does "smell thick", and I don't know what the blood of murdered virgins mixed with roses and fruit smells like.)

Within 15 minutes, the scent becomes incredibly muted. I think it's because the other flowers have watered down the other notes. The rose and berries all-but disappear, leaving behind there's a vaguely-flowered (white gardenia-rose?) slightly-spicy plum... that's generic.

After about 10 more minutes, I wonder whether I smell musty.

It's a shame, because I love the beginning of this scent. Opium+berry+roses+plum = yum.

In the imp: Eep, rose with a sour edge of overripe fruit.

On skin: Thankfully it smells better to my nose when applied than it does in the imp. Still rosey, but it's softer and the edge of rotting fruit to become a much more pleasant fruity touch. The rose is too dominant for my tastes, and as it dries, the sour edge begins to creep back in.

Drydown is still rose and sour fruits. I don't think I shall be keeping the Countess.

In the vial:

Spicy plums!

On me:

Mature, sexy, and absolute corruption! Oh, I don't smell the roses...thank goodness!

Final verdict:

Bottle worthy for sure. This is by far my favorite BPAL scent. I can't add more to the review then what's already been said.

Light, chill florals and a brisk berry overlay the smell of opium in the bottle. Sweet and slightly tart with a hint of rose.

On, it's plum, opium, and faint florals. A very interesting perfume, and very hard to describe. It's quite traditionally perfumey, and very female. The overall impression it gives is that of reserved sophistication, with a hint of corruption beneath.

As it dries, it becomes deeper, lower, as the berries die back and the opium relaxes. It's not as strong as I thought at first; once the first rush of scent dies back, the smell all but vanishes. What is left is an intriguing mix of high, jagged notes, peppery almost.

The florals are apparent, are even the key notes, but this is not a typical floral at all. This is much more perfume-y than powdery or sweet. A scent so unusual it's bound to attract attention, very finely balanced on the edge of appealing and unpleasant.

All I could get from this one was a very strong scent of cinnamon apples! Weird, maybe I got one from an off batch? It reminded me of Christmas time! Not something I necessarily like on me...