Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Revisited! ‘The Devil’s Bake Sale’ has come back to town.

Buttered rum? Eggnog? This smells like something buttery-rich, sweet and alcoholic. And since I don't drink, I don't have a damned clue as to what it smells like, exactly. But it's delicious--reminds me of holiday parties and the sweet alcohol drinks they have that are more like a dessert than anything.

Also, it doesn't smell like sugar cookies. AT ALL. It smells better than that! Edited by Shollin

Mmmmm, Sugar Cookie.

It is a mix between Sugar Skull and Egg Nog. It reminds me of my mother's sugar cookies that she make every holiday season.

It is a strong scent so you don't need to put very much on. It lasts almost all day on me.

I don't know why I never tried the old version, because I do love sweet foody scents. I think that there was a fear, based on some of the reviews, that this would turn to plastic on my skin the way that Egg Nog and Midway did.

Wet - Butter! Not the delicious, buttery note of Jack and Grog though, it's richer, almost sickenly so. I don't think this is going to work on me.

Dry - plastic! butter and plastic. Yep, this is what I was afraid of. So glad I didn't buy a bottle.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2 .

This is the 2005 formulation.

I didn't like last year's (2004) version at all. It had a cinnamon note, which was fine, on top of a vanilla base that turned into total play-doh on me.

This is completely different. It smells almost boozy going on, sort of a buttery rum scent. Throughout the day, it becomes less boozy, but remains kind of a buttery caramel.

It's nice, but to me, it's like Gluttony Lite.

Much better than last year, but if you want sugary, buttery, sticky sweet, stick with Gluttony. It's cheaper & available all year. :P

2005 version

First whiff: Oh, the top note is delicious! :D

Sweet, sweet cookie smell, with a - as everybody said, a boozy note that makes it actually smell close to egg nog, the drink, not last year's LE :D

Drydown: Unfortunately, on me, it pretty quickly goes the burnt sugar way, like Misk U and Gluttony before it. That's not faiiiiir! :P

At first, the burnt/musty sugar behaves, then becomes overwhelming. For brief amounts of time in the next hours, it vanished and left way to the actual, delicious cookie smell, but then the burnt sugar caught on and that was it.

Verdict: I'm heartbroken, as it was absolutely scrumptious in the bottle. If you're a foodie and your skin tolerates the sugar note - go nuts, this is sweet cookie heaven!

7.5/10

The Cookie is absolutely delicious. I traded some Brains (the Mi-Go variety) for it, and the Cookie is infinitely superior on me. I wore it at work and one of my co-workers was positive I was hoarding freshly-baked something in the back office. Nope! Just the Cookie.

Anyway, it is very buttery, sweetly sugared, and only a hint of cinnamon (thank goodness). I'm not sure I get boozy, but anyway, the mix is just about perfection. The boy loved it too. It's massively strong though, but at least it's not one that will likely annoy other people.

I wanted to add that I tried Egg Nog finally, recently. I no likee the Nog. It has the unfortunate distinction to be the only scent to become the dreaded Play Doh/plastic. However, in the imp it reminded me of an inferior, watered down Sugar Cookie.

The more I wear Sugar Cookie, the less it reminds me of cookies, and the more it just smells like divine, spiced vanilla. It's truly a favorite.

Anyway definitely a 5 out of 5 for me.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Sugar Cookie 2005, oh how I love thee -

I fell for Tutti Dolci from Bath & Body works after Christmas (I only go there when they have their semi-annual sales). Got an imp of this and fell hard!

In the bottle - rum, butter - reminds me of Bacardi rum cake.

Dries to sugar, butter, and booze. Yum! And as great as this is straight from the bottle, it's even better made into a perfume spray.

In the bottle:

Extremely sweet and delicious vanilla goodness!

On me:

I'm not a foody scent person at all. It's not that I don't LIKE them - in fact, I often LOVE them. But only to sniff, not to wear. Despite that, I was drawn to Sugar Cookie, having read it's previous rave reviews and being in a holiday mood when I purchased it. I really wanted to like it. I figured if I was going to wear a foody scent, it might as well be one that smells like delicious sugar cookies.

And, in the bottle and in the wet stage of this scent it is EXACTLY what I wanted. It's warm, super buttery and deliciously sweet. It smells like sugar cookie dough. It's wonderful. But, unfortunately, that lasts all of about 3 minutes on me. Then it turns into a burnt sugar smell - which on my skin smells a lot like pencil shavings.

I didn't want this to happen, in fact - I tried it on 5 times in hopes that just ONE of those times I would get a different result and have a reason to keep this. Unfortunately though, it's always the same on me - blast my chemistry!

Final note:

If this stays sugar cookie on your skin like it is in the wet stages - then this scent is TOTALLY worth having. If it does what it does to me however - pencil shavings is NOT a yummy smell. So sad about this one.

In the imp: Carmelised sugar?

Wet: Arrr! This be the scent of... Grog?

Dry: A yummy nummy sugar cookie. Doughy and warm and chewy in the middle, and golden crispy at the edges; maybe just a little overdone on the bottom, because not every batch of cookies is perfect.

Good throw, long lasting, hard to wash off. It's spectacularly foody, wavering now and then at the edge of Play-Doh but not crossing it. It's so accurately cookie-ish I think I want to keep it, but when am I ever going to want to smell like a cookie? Maybe I'll use it on an oil warmer to give the house that I-just-baked smell, without all the actual baking work.

I recieved this in an imp that I purchased....

In Bottle: Woah....very very sweet, with a very boozey tone to it. It reminds me of summery alcoholic drink I had a few years ago....A very sweet rum mix...

It's almost tempting to tilt the vile and drink it :D

Wet On The Skin: Woah, this is like burnt brown sugar - creme brulee, with rum mixed in...I want to lick this...It's just...to die for...wow wow wow...

Tons of throw too while wet :D This excites me just a little too much...It's just, edible and...good..and....*dies*

Dry Down: Hmmm...torn.

It smells kind of like butter now.

Sweetish, buttery type of smell.

I don't know if I enjoy this now as much.... :P

The booze note is still there - just...fainter.

I don't hate it....

But I must consult with a few to help me figure out how much I like this on me...and whether or not it SMELLS good on me....I'm THAT torn.

Well, we have concluded that it smells like popcorn on me now....

Yucka.

This one is going in the "did not work for me pile..."...It didn't smell BAD on, but it just does not smell GREAT. :D

I am glad that I didn't get this one in a large bottle.

Rating: 2.5 / 5 - over all smell

4 / 5 - throw

4.5 / 5 - lasting power

In the bottle: Vanilla and burnt sugar, with a slightly weird tang - booze?

Wet: Creamy caramel, and there's still this booziness that I wasn't expected. Then the "baked goods" smell starts to come out slowly, making it less creamy and more biscuity.

Drydown: I get caramel and a bit of gingerbready kind of spices, very foody obviously, and still hints of booze. It actually becomes pretty discreet to me, and not really as sweet as I expected. I think that there might be a sweet aquatic note in there because it makes me want to sneeze.

Overall: A pleasant, rather simple and comforting foody blend. I'm not a huge foodie myself, but it smells a bit like vanilla and caramel ice cream and it's a good upper when you're feeling low, I think. There's quite a dose of spice in there, I wonder even if it's pepper, but most probably it's ginger. It's nice, but it smells a bit dry and burnt after a while

Sugar Cookie 2004 - YOWZA! this is one heck of a spicy cookie! When I first apply it, it smells exactly like a real sugar cookie fresh out of the oven, but after about 30 seconds, as my skin begins to warm it up, the scent of nutmeg (or is it something else?) almost entirely overwhelms the yummy cookie scent. I have never included spices of any sort (beyond salt and sugar) when I bake sugar cookies, so I was not expecting this kind of scent in the least. While I might like this blend if it had a tiny fraction of the spiciness, I can't tolerate how spicy it is. I'm wondering if it was this spicy when it was first released, or if it has amped up as part of the aging process. And for the record, layering this with Sugar Cookie '05 only makes for a plastic-smelling spiciness.

Sugar Cookie 2005 - From the first moment I apply it, this is plastic on my skin. It doesn't have even a fraction of the burn-your-nose spiciness that Sugar Cookie '04 has, and I have a feeling that if I were to burn it or wear it in a scent locket, it would smell a lot more like a real sugar cookie filled with butter, flour, and sugary goodness. Indeed, when I put it in my hair, it doesn't get that plastic smell it gets on my skin, but I also smell something in the blend that now makes it smell like a rum praline. It's very yummy, and I think I'm going to pour a few drops in my oil burner and make my house smell like I was just baking something (sugar cookies? rum pralines?) in the kitchen. And for the record, layering this with Sugar Cookie 2004 only makes for a plastic-smelling spiciness.

In the bottle: OHHHH MYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOODS! LIQUID DUNKAROOS!!!! Yes! That's it! Oh gods it reminds me of vanilla frosting smothered cookies...now I'm hungry. ;_;

Wet: ...Where did the Dunkaroos go? I wanted to eat them. It...smells...like...plastic now...Strange plastic. With nutmeg on it. Oh no. Nevermind. It smells like my room when I decided to melt a plastic cup. Ew.

Dry: ...I don't want to smell like a melted plastic cup...It hates my skin. Sad. It smelled so good when it was a dunkaroo.

....wah. I want my Dunkaroos back...

I got an imp of this and I'm so lucky to have been able to try it!!

In the vial, it's a liquid Sugar Cookie - buttery and vanilla-y goodness.. with a slightly butterscotch scent buried deep down...

On my skin- oooh yeah. I could picture this cookie, a big angel-shaped cookie with slightly browned edges and pressed in fancy sparkly sugar!

So awesome!!

I wore Sugar Cookie yesterday and as soon as I walked in the office one of my coworkers said "You smell yummy! Like coconut!." I sure as hell don't get a coconut note in this scent. From my experience, to the other half of the world who are not so in tune with perfumes, they either smell vanilla or coconut. Every other scent I wear DH smells coconut- but generally that means he likes it, so coconut? That's fine by me!

When I first applied I got a plastic smell- oh. no. Not possible!!! But after about 30 min/ it went away and was left with a straight sugar cookie smell with a hint of spice and butterscotch.

Great stuff, I just wish it lasted longer! When I came home for lunch I reapplied and that got me through the rest of the day.

Yummy stuff that Sugar Cookie

This scent manages to to sum up the holidays when I go back to my mom's house. It tells the exact Christmas story of a young college student visiting her young at heart mom.

Wet: The arrival home- "Aw mom, you got me Wearther's Butterscotch candy. You remembered they're my favorite! And you've got the cinnamon spice candle lit!"

Drying: Settling in- "Okay mom, I'm gonna start making the Santa cookies now. I see you've set out a rum and butterscotch filled eggnog for me. Line me up for another because I'm finishing this quickly."

Dry: Late night- "You know, mom...you know, yeah. And my cookies are great, man. Dip the cookies in your butterscotch run shot. Do it! Isn't that yum?"

It fades to a skin scent quickly on me though, but I'm thinking about always keeping this on hand for next time I feel like faking out my book club with some store bought cookies. They can't say I didn't make them since I obviously smell like I spent the day slaving over the oven. And drinking. A good day, indeed.

In the bottle it's pure cookie dough. Deliciousness. On, it takes on a new turn...still smell food but their is an airy quality to it that reminds me of House of Night, which I didn't care for. I smell smoke for some reason :/

Sugar cookie when wet on my wrist smells like a cross between those caramelised biscuits that you get with your coffee in posh coffee shops and burnt brown sugar like on the top of creme brulee. It is quite a sharp burnt-sugar smell to begin with, but I don't get any of the alcohol that others have smelled. On the way to drydown it flirts for a few minutes with becoming plastic-y, but never actually goes there, and when dry is a yummy, sweet soft vanilla which doesn't actually remind me of cookies at all, its more like the drydown of Midway.

DH approves, but then he likes me to smell like vanilla ice cream :P I do really like the drydown of sugar cookie and if it appears again I may get a bottle.

Sugar Cookie (2004)-

In Bottle: This is absolutely delicious--not just vanilla and baking spices, but a sense of raw sugar cookie dough. Oh, I hope this one works on me.

Wet: The creaminess of this is not as evident and I'm smelling nutmeg and other spices. It smells a little like I'd expect egg nog to! It is lovely and I'm still hoping it won't go musty. The experience is a little like Gingerbread Poppet, which was delicious and gingery on my skin but had lost the creaminess it had had in the bottle.

Dry: After about 10-15 minutes of loving this sugary warm nutmeggy scent I said, "Hooray! No way this can go musty on me after this long." Turns out that's not quite accurate; there was a little must trying to manifest soon after that, but you know what? The scent itself was starting to fade down so the must was very minimal. This makes me happy because this is now one of my favorites. I tried a repeat dose and the same thing happened: only minimally musty and that's at the time the scent is starting to fade on me. So it doesn't have a lot of staying power but in this case that might be for the better. I want a giant bottle of this. (And it made me have to go eat a few slices of raw sugar cookie dough; good thing I always have a log of that in the fridge.)

Overall: It's conditional but I love it.

ETA: I think I need to add that after just a little exposure to this scent, it's become one of my top top top favorites. It fades too quickly to go musty, and I'm in utter heaven just sniffing the bottle.

Edited by steffanina

Sugar Cookie (2005)-

In Bottle: Ah, yes, highly different from the 2004 blend, which was nutmeg-y and baked-smelling. This smells of rum and cream, kind of egg nog or Bailey's Irish Cream.

Wet: Sweet but the must is already starting to come out. But maybe it's a boozy must and not a my-bad-chemistry must. Let's see!

Dry: Musty but not completely problematic. I will enjoy this one in a scent locket, no question, but I'll also give it another try. I definitely prefer 2004's blend but this certainly has its merits.

Overall: Use in scent locket, try again.

I agree with what so many have said! Tasty sugery, vanilla yumminess. There really isn't a lot I can add, except this, it is WONDERFUL to layer with! I layer it with Smut, Snake Charmer, Trick #2 etc... it does wonders when you want it to sweeten up one of your scents.

I love and have both Sugar Cookie 2004 and 2005. My preferance leans towards the 2004 version. 2005 is more sweet, buttery, "rumish." 2004 is warmer with the spicer notes amped up. There's more kick to the ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardoman? (sorry my spelling is wonky) and although I'm usually loathe to cinnamon. The cinnamon in this is well balenced and not the dreaded "red hots cinnamon" variety. More akin to cinnamon stick. I really love both, but the 2004 version puts hearts in my eyes!!! :P

*edited to add comparison to 2004 version

Edited by growwild

Ummm, yum? I didn't really expect to love this one, as I think of myself as not inlove with food scented scents, but this is all soft vanilla and butter and is just the perfect light sugar cookie! :P

Oooooooooooo this is good stuff.

Villainess makes a bar called Grampa Joe. It's described as being toffee candies with a stiff shot of rum. I love this bar - it smells so good in the shower, but it doesn't leave it's scent on me. But now I have Sugar Cookie 05 which is a pretty darned scent match.

I think I'm reminded most of buttered rum when I smell this in the imp, and it stays pretty close to the same on my skin. I don't think it has a lot of throw, which if fine because with BPAL I usually only care if I can smell the scent or maybe the hubby - I live in a province with the motto of "no scents is good sense".

I'm now going to have to track down more Sugar Cookie 05 - Devil's Bake Sale indeed.

This is the 04 version -- I'll add a review for the 05 version later.

I think this is the perfect foody scent.

It doesn't turn into the fake plasticy scent on me like Egg Nog did, and it doesn't smell like burnt sugar like Sugar Skull did. It's got a little bit of spice to it (nutmeg? it's not cinnamon) but not so much that it drowns out that yummy warm cookie scent. There might be some rum in this, but it's not prominent.

Mostly this smells like warm cookies, and I think it's great. Very comforting scent.

:P