Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

Take a Knee

This weekend, Trump attacked the US Constitutions guarantee of freedom of speech and took aim at the football players who are peacefully protesting police brutality, inequality, bigotry, and racism. Hes calling for a boycott of an entire sports league to force the firing of African American athletes and their allies for speaking out about racial injustice.

Taking a kneethis isnt a protest of America itself, its flag, or anything that this country stands for. It isnt disrespectful of the US military. On the contrary, it is the acknowledgement that we as a country can do better, that we must do better, and that we must renew our commitment to fight for equality and justice for all. By speaking out against institutional racism and racial injustice, against violence and bigotry, whether it be by taking a knee, locking arms with teammates, refusing to walk out onto a playing field until after the National Anthem has been sung, editorializing on social media, or making protest perfumes, we are honoring our communities, our neighbors, and our nation by attempting to amplify the voices of those who are often not empowered to speak.

It is possible and necessary to love this country and also expectand demandthat we do betterthat we recognize injustice when we see it, and do what we can to fight it. Thats real patriotism.

We have fought for America with all of her imperfections. Not so much for what she is but for what we know she can be. Mary Bethune

This is the scent of apple pie, as American as it gets, and a smudged grass stain. The proceeds from every single sale of this scent will benefit the NAACP.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: The concept alone made me very very glad to be a BPAL customer and the description was certainly worth trying.

In the Bottle: Yum! Rich, spicy apple with a dash of green grass to keep it from being totally cloying.

Wet: The grass comes out on me first, and then the pie. I didn't get the sense of crust/pastry in the bottle, but it's coming out on my skin. Spices linger and the apple is there if you sniff hard.

Drydown: It settles into a gently spicy sweetness. I can pick out the apple if I work at it. I can't pick out the grass other than a fresh edge to the whole scent.

Verdict: This is super nice and I may grab another bottle in my next order if it's still available. It's a good fall scent without being overpowering.

Take A Knee is definitely a cinnamon-y apple scent, mostly. I smell the grass in the background when I first apply it and it is really nice and fresh, but the grass note fades away fairly quickly on me. It's there in the background as sort of a dry grass scent (like Scarecrow), but the the apple and spices are most predominant.

It is a nice, cozy autumn daytime scent and I might get another backup bottle.

This is like a clean apple pie, if that was a possible thing.

Yup!

In the bottle, I can smell the grass note, but once on my skin, I get the freshest, juiciest apple pie with some cinnamon. Close to the skin, I can smell a little bit of the "burnt" effect I always get from baked goods scents (darn skin chemistry), but it's enough in the background that I think I can deal. This is a nostalgic apple pie scent that I'll wear a lot during the holidays.

In the bottle, I get intense apple pie spice -- almost a bit too seasonal-candle for my liking. Fortunately, once it's on, fresher apple notes plus the grass note come out and balance out the spice really nicely -- like previous reviews said, it's sort of like a fresh/clean apple pie scent. My skin chemistry seems to do something weird with the grass note such that it becomes borderline plasticky after it's been on for a while, but it's not intense enough to be a dealbreaker. Definitely a good fall scent if apple is at all your thing.

Intense apple pie with cinnamon, all spice, and a whiff of grass. It's definitely apple pie - it smells wholesome, summery, and American. Good throw and wear length.

This. This is the apple scent I have been looking for. It's got a touch of cinnamon, but also goes APPLE on me. I was afraid the grass stain would overpower things, but it just helps keep the pie from smelling cloying, and just really nice and clean. I love it, and I'm glad I got the bottle.

This. Is. AMAZING.

It is classic apple pie with a bit of spice and a "clean" edge- reminds me a bit of Egg Hunt Grass Stain. This would be a perfect fall/early winter scent.

I want to eat my arm so bad *tries to resist*

Who can honestly say that one of their life goals is not to smell like apple pie? I mean, come on.

Wet: Mmm. Delicious. Oh I totally get the hint of grass too, fun!! I have to say though, I think it smells more like apple cider than pie to me - either that or Americans make apple pie differently than Canadians. Either way, this is awesome, and the grass makes it a touch earthy and I really like that.

Dry: Nose to skin, this is a little weird on me. The grass note goes a bit bitter (as it sometimes does). The throw though, is incredible apple and spices and grass - who knew that would be such an awesome combo? I can't say for sure that I really need a bottle....but I also can't say that I don't. :biggrin:

I bought Take a Knee to support the cause, but am really enjoying the scent even though I'm not someone who loves apple pie. This is pure apple pie and a drop of grass, a simple combination that's really uplifting. We have so many great fall apple scents, and I love that this one feels more like it sits in springtime territory. It's bright and happy!

I don't get any pie crust notes and wish that this were sweeter, but it's like a sharp, cinnamon-spiced apple with a hint of sour, green grass on my skin. Mulled apple cider, maybe, with sour green grass. It ventures into holiday spice candle territory on me.

Source: Lab buy. I'm late to the game but I still get irrationally angry about the whole ordeal. So, this was a spite buy. Plus, who doesn't love apple pie?

Bottle Sniff: OH MY JEEZE APPLE PIE NO JOKE. This made me think very specifically of McDonalds apple pie. :rofl:

Skin: Beautifully blooms into a more sophisticated cinnamon apple scent. Reminds me a bit of fried apples (still uber american to me). It gets green for me in this stage, but it feels ... right. There's also this faintest background scent of something heavier - like a musky spiced almost leather barest whisper hint. Like, like a football. I'm projecting probably.

Verdict: Don't be afraid of the grass note. This is beautiful fried cinnamon apples eaten on the lawn with family.

In the decant: I love the scent of apple pie and own the Trading Post’s Apple Pie in perfume oil, bath oil, and hair gloss. This smells like that apple pie, only cleaner, which I think must be thanks to the grass?

Wet: Like BPTP’s Apple Pie, this is mostly about the filling right now -- I’m not really getting any pie crust. It’s full of cinnamon-covered baked apples, and it isn’t heavy enough on the cinnamon to burn my skin.

Dry: The apple pie filling continues to reign, but the scent is lighter now, and cleaner. It’s really more like a grass stain on clothes and not straight up grass.

Verdict: I really like this, but it is not different enough from the Apple Pie that I already own in ALL THE THINGS to warrant getting more. But if you don’t already have Apple Pie and wish that you did, this one should be right up your alley! :)

A living summer day in a bottle.

In the bottle:  fresh green grass crushed by happy feet after dewy sprinkler spray, and a 3D smelling apple pie in  your face.
It's amazing how she can do that.

Wet: Apple pie and dewy grass in the back ground.

Dry down: apple notes don't love me.... but the spices come up a wee bit which is lovely. (I rarely amp sweetness)

An amazing creation that I'll happily huff if I can't wear. 

I wore this when it was fresh several almost a year ago.  It seems to be settled now.

Wet: Apple and grass.

Dry: Apple, cinnamon, and a vaguely dirt note I associate with nutmeg? I'm an apple pie with an attitude.