Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Muse

A light, invigorating floral and citrus blend. Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime.

Muse is very floral sweet when wet. The candy scent that many people associate with lotus is there along with a very tart lime making it smell of Sweet Tarts to me.

As soon as I swipe it on my wrist, I get a sort of plastic toy scent that jumps out. It’s more than likely the jasmine in there, as jasmine and my skin aren’t really friends.

All the various elements blend together quickly and turn into a fresh fruity blend that’s almost melon-like to me. It reminds me of very ripe cantaloupe. Of course, cantaloupe is my least favorite fruit ever, so this isn’t exactly positive for me. But it might entice someone else.

It’s very multi-dimensional and a must-try for people who like fruity oils but want something a shade more complex. A perfect daytime summer scent for the light-hearted among us.

i get jasmine. . .then some tuberose - two of my favorite real-life florals. i like it a lot, and this is good, since the floral perfumes are usually disappointing on me.

it is fresh - could be the lime keeps the floral from being cloying. definitely a spring/summer scent. innocent and sweet. makes me happy. dries to a light sweetness. sorta fruity, but the citrus has left the building, so it must be something else.

unfortunately, it fades way too soon.

Oh, how very pretty...

I'm a big-time jasmine fan, but the jasmine in Muse is subdued. It's there, you can smell it, but it has been held back from being very "jasmine." I actually didn't recognise it in the blend until I looked at the components.

Muse is a sweet type of floral that doesn't compromise freshness for sweetness. It's sweet without being sticky, fresh without being truly green. It's a wonderful light scent that should be well-suited for springtime and the upcoming summer months.

The lime is noticable in the beginning, but as the oil dries on my skin, it fades away, as citrus is prone to doing. Although the drydown is nice, my favourite stage is when the lime is still there, as Muse loses some of its crispness when the lime makes its exit. I'm not certain what tuberose smells like, but if it smells like this, it must be nice. The lotus seems to prevent this floral from being in-your-face. It's a very gentle scent that would probably have a lot of fans, so long as they don't have issues with jasmine or lotus.

All in all, Muse is an incredibly feminine scent. It would go perfect with a white, breezy summer dress. I don't know how often I would wear this, but it would be nice to have a bigger bottle of it around for the days I dress more formal. It's a very elegant scent.

-doreen

Edited by feline.by.design

I love this blend. In the vial, it's very lime and almost herbal. The lime and jasmine are the first part of the puzzle to come up, making the scent fresh and green. The lime fades and disappears too quickly for my taste. Then the rose begins to creep up, blending with the jasmine and lotus. It still remains very fresh, like new flowers just opening up in the morning. An excellent spring time scent, I think. Very relaxing, very seductive.

I love jasmine blends. This one's fantastic, the only notes that really show on me are the jasmine and the lotus. It's a delicate, virginal, white light kind of scent; well suited to it's name. It makes me think of artists' portraits of young ladies at the seaside. A vulnerable, quiet, airy blend. Love it.

In bottle:

*POW!* JASMINE!

On me:

Wow still jasmine. And a lot of it. Tuberose starts creeping in a bit but it's too shy to stand up next to jasmine, it just hangs out in the background hoping it's friends lime and lotus show up. Wait. Is that....? Is that lime....? Nope. No it isn't. It's jasmine.

Final note:

Jasmine kills yet another scent for me. I guess I just amp up the jasmine big time, but it always seems to drown out everything else. I would have loved to have smelled the mint.

EDIT: I now know what people mean by the diaper smell, because now I'm totally getting diapers from this, so weird.

Edited by Brianne

Muse

In the imp: a lovely, light white floral with a teeny bit of lime.

Wet on skin: oh wow, here come the lotus and lime! The jasmine's also there, with a slightly soapy, lily of the valley like smell, which could be tuberose.

Dry on skin: lovely light white flowers once more. It has a soapy or powdery aspect, but it isn't unpleasant. The lime gives it a nice citrus tang, but doesn't last.

After a while: the lotus comes out and changes it once more, and merges with the jasmine. Although it still retains a certain powdery-ness, this now also smells like fresh, dewy blooms of exotic flowers. It is very clean and fresh, like freshly washed sheets hung out to dry.

Verdict: this is a really nice, light, floral scent that makes me think of spring. It's gentle, sweet and very clean, slightly soapy but not in an unpleasant way. The white flowers add a soft powdery aspect to the smell, whilst the lime adds some citrussy zing, and the lotus is lovely. It smells clean and white, fresh and breezy, like freshly washed cotton sheets, and has a delicate sense of purity and innocence about it. Lovely.

First sniff: Slightly powdery, sweet floral with lotus.

Wearing: Eh. It’s OK, but not something I’d choose to wear. Just too floral and too lotus-y. I don’t get any citrus.

Strong citrus and lotus at first, very juicy smelling in the imp. On me, it's lime and lotus with tuberose coming to the forefront as it dries. Totaly dry it's mostly jasmine (I've discovered that my body has the power to amplify jasmine beyond belief), and a bit overbearing and soapy. It smells like shampoo a bit, and doesn't last long.

Overall, it's not bad and I didn't mind it on me until it hit the jasmine stage. I've decided I'll retry it before deciding to swap away.

In the bottle: The citrus is what jumps out at me, with an afternote of sweetness, which seems mostly the jasmine.

Wet: The lime is much sharper and more pungent, with a lovely tingle. The sweetness has retreated to just an underlying hint. This smells just like what I want from this scent -- astringent citrus with heady sweetness. Yum.

Drydown: Annnd, five minutes later, the lime has vanished, the jasmine is indistinct, and I am left with the same irritating, cloying sweet smell I got from Venice. I can't describe this smell -- potpourri and cough syrup springs to mind, though it's not that bad -- except to say it's vaguely sweet, vaguely fruity, but rich in a fake way that makes me feel sick after a while.

I think I'll be avoiding jasmine after this -- everyone I made smell my wrist said they just smelled overstrong gardenia or muguet. Alas.

Edited by sophia_helix

On first sniff, Muse reminded me of Tums; a powdery fresh scent with a hint of lime. This is kind of what babies smell like to me, I suppose. Muse is a nice scent, something that my mom would probably wear as an everyday scent. Not for me though.

Muse is one of those scents that I like, but would never really get around to wearing. It's too floral for my tastes (though it is a surprisingly refreshing and zingy floral, thanks to the citrus). But I love the mixture of lime and jasmine... it's rather unique and brings out new sides to jasmine that I didn't know existed, lol. And the lime works to keep the jasmine grounded, so it isn't headache inducing on me. Still, jasmine is definitely the dominant note on me. I just can't seem to fall in love with Muse, it just inspires minor admiration and like from me.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

Right off the bat I know this won't work for me. I don't do florals, especially lotus, which always ends up smelling like bubblegum on me. I'll still give Muse a fair chance, though.

First sniff:

Lime sprinkled florals with a tiny hint of bubblegum. This is exactly what I'd envisioned, which unfortunately means that I really don't care for muse. :D

Wet on skin:

Less lime and far more flowers. Even though I don't like florals, this is preferable when compared with the way Muse smelled in the vial. It's still not me, but it is better.

Dry down:

All florals now, mainly jasmine. I don't get the horrible bubblegum note I normally get from lotus, which is a good thing, but I still can't see myself enjoying Muse, unfortunately. It's just not me. :D

The bottom line:

Exactly what I'd expected, but not for me.

muse.jpg

One of the white flower blends Beth does so well. If you are a jasmine lover or you can't get enough flowers on Earth, you are a very lucky chick! This blend is exceptionally floral, wonderfully jasmine filled, tuberose shaking its curly head. I don't smell the lime, though. It is just a White Shoulders kind of a scent and I couldn't recommend it highly enough to those of you who are the white flower sorts.

This is one of the first scents, judging from when the first reviewer published her piece. I think that more complexity has been injected into the florals as time has gone by, and that is a good thing. However, it's the simplicity of Muse which is its charm and its strength.

In the bottle

tuberose and jasmine

On

Wow, lovely jasmine. That's all I smell thusfar.

30 minutes

Still primarily jasmine and lotus.

Throw:

a bit more than average

Scent category:

floral

Summary

The jasmine is quite strong and is the only thing I smell, it's quite nice though.

5-10 minutes later I smell lotus. In fact it' coming out stronger now almost completely covering up the jasmine.

Purchase again?

Possibly, but I still like Salome more.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

My impression: Jasmine and herbal at the same time. Almost to a point of reminding me of sassafras. Light and airy & it drys to a more prominent floral.

lovely indeed

Wow. This has alot of lime in it. It makes my mouth water just sniffing the imp. Tart and tangy. It stays the same wet on the skin. I like it!!

Dry is a different story. My chemestry does bad things with Jasmine, and that is all I can smell now. :P

I had to try Muse just because of the Lotus in it! My Muse isn't super limey. I can smell it in the background in the bottle, but my nose is particularly catching the Lotus. On and right before it settles down, I get a little zing of lime and then it goes away to a soft, almost powdery floral. I don't think this will ever be a favorite, despite the lotus in it, but I'm going to see how it develops over time ...on me and in the bottle. :P

I hesitated to add a review of Muse, because I really don't have a lot to say about it. I decided to do it anyway for someone whose chemistry might be similar to mine: this will turn pure white floral on you. Try it if you if you must, but it won't work on you. Sorry.

(seriously, anyone want to swap my skin??)

I got this as a freebie from the lab a while ago. I smelled it in the imp while preggers and it just smelled like some sort of cleaning fluid to me then. I decided to give it a whirl now, since my nose isn't all crazy.

In the imp: Lime and Jasmine. The lime is more of a lime peel, like another poster said. Not juicy at all to my nose, very soft.

On me: Creamy lime and jasmine. The other notes must be giving this a very creamy feel to it. Very tropical, but without smelling like a lady's cocktail. This makes me want to wear my hair loose and walk barefoot on the sand at night in the tropics.

Overall: Very lovely. Would work for summer. Not my deal, though. Just too...jasmine, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I like jasmine, but this is jasmine gone nutty on my skin. Those who love jasmine should give this a whirl, as it is a new take on it. I have not smelled anything quite like this before in the way of jasmine perfumes. Brilliant, just not me.

*sigh* JASMINE JASMINE JASMINE :P

Jasmine is a favorite, however, in a blend...JASMINE~grrrrr

Muse is very summery but a bit too floral for me. Very nice for a woman but just not "tough" enough.

In the Bottle: LIME is that Jasmine? Hmmm lime juice? I wonder if this would work on Carne Asada?

Wet on Skin: Orange blossoms? Limey flowery decadence. Wow ok too floral.

Dry down: This melts away and softens nicel into a great potpurii scent. Might make a great lotion scent or room freshener.

Verdict: Strong airy flowery and sweet. A very nice scent. If you like Jasmine and Lime this one is a definite beautiful fusion of the two.

When I got my Imps in the mail from this order I sniffed them all and put the ones I didn't think I'd end up liking in a pile. Of those I re-read the descriptions to see what drew me to them, and what I thought I'd like about them. In three I found a common element - Jasmine.

I sampled Suspiro and Eos and sent them to the swap pile Muse was my last hope for the Jasmine blends.

I was really hoping to like this one, the lime and the tuberose which is one of my favorite floral scents. I keep ordering things because of the tuberose but none of them have worked for me. I'm going to give this one another shot. I put it on about six hours after the Suspiro so it hasn't had a full chance. There is still something about it that just doesn't agree with my nose. Of the three this is the one that I like the best.

I tried it again and while I probably would have loved it before smelling dozons of other BPAL fragrances I don't think it's a keeper for me. I'm temped to keep the imp anyway.

In the Bottle: Mmmmm lots of lovely jasmine. Light, soft, sweet and makes me roll my eyes up in my head with enjoyment. Also bright soft sweet lime, a very ripe lime, smelled whole, not a tang of lime slice.

Dry: mellow sweet soft powdery jasmine with a tinge of lime behind it to make it light, bright. Very feminine, soft and pretty. For me very floral and delightful! I bought a 5 ml.

Muse

Got this in a swap with fudge pop.

At first Muse is a sharp, soapy floral with perhaps a hint of lime peel. It has a sort of "vintage perfume" quality that reminds me of Siren, but not as intriguing. It dries to pure, generic, sharp, perfumey soap. I guess it's one of the floral notes that turns to soap on my skin. Too bad, I'm still looking for something with lime in it...

Edited by Caltha