Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Mercury

EXPANDING the INTELLECT - QUICK WIT - MENTAL AGILITY - COMMUNICATION - TRAVEL -CALCULATION - ANALYSIS - LEARNING - TEACHING - GAMBLING - STUDY - CREATIVITY -MAGICKAL ACUMEN - GOOD CONVERSATION - CHANCE HAPPENINGS - ADAPTABILITY

In the bottle: All lavender.

First on: Lavender, with a slight hint of a lemon that was once near the imp bottle. It's all lavender.

Drydown: Now I get a hint of cinnamon if I look for it. It's still mostly lavender with a bit of lemon. The only new development is the very faint cinnamon, and that the whole thing has calmed down a bit.

Origins - part of a discontinued imp lot bought fresh from the lab on eBay

In the bottle - okay, this is the oddest scent I have ever smelt. Very metallic; it almost smells like mercury.

Wet - as soon as it hits my skin, it's all cinnamon. Cinnamon red-hots, not the pretty brown cinnamon I love so much. My cat is running away from me! What the heck is in here anyway? The cinnamon is so strong it's making my eyes water. I know there's something else in here besides cinnamon, but I can't quite make it out, mostly because the cinnamon is banging it on the head right now. Talk about your aggresive scents.

Dry - Ooh, I think I smell lavendar. Oh never mind, it's gone. I think there are other notes in here besides cinnamon, but I don't think I'll ever get a chance to find out. This fades rather quickly for such an agressive scent; I guess the cinnamon got tired from bludgeoning the other notes. I just don't think I'll be keeping this imp, and I certainly won't be turning my back on it.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Very in your face mint, there's something else in there, a spicey note, that I can't really identify. Very nice.

BPALMercury.gif

In the bottle

Wow, sparkly. for those who get colors, this is a colorful little blend. :P

On

Very different. It's eucalyptus or mint-like with a bit of cinnamon, lavender and maybe a tad of licorice or anise.

It's fresh, spicy and almost foody...but not quite. It's like mixing lavender and mint with some cinnamon, and a touch of anise. It sounds weird, but it's rather nice. I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

30 minutes

It has staying power. It hasn't diminished in scent at 30 minutes.

Throw:

average throw

Scent category:

spicy/herby

Summary

The three main scent components; lavender, cinnamon and licorice are blended rather well, you can pull them each apart with your nose but they work well with each other, complimenting or augmenting each other, not vying for attention in a loud manner.

Good staying power.

Purchase again?

Yes. It's a different blend that is particularly "alive". A great blend for meditating on the qualities of Mercury.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

I said to myself, "are you willing to call strangers and get this bottle?" and then I realized I really ought to try and see if I could.

And it worked out and thus, yesterday I got my bottle.

I wanted this bottle for a million reasons, and some of them obscure and strange, and thus not needing to share. Suffice to say, I wanted it enough to call strangers - and I really hate phones. I got over it.

In the bottle: It smells very lavender.

Drydown? The mellowest cinnamon stick I've got the pleasure to wear.

Rereading the description: It is what is describes itself as. :D A very effective blend. I had an itty bit today and was clearheaded enough to handle a lot of different communication issues and research.

Verdict: Worth getting disconnected no less than three times from Enchanted Castle. :P

Wet: Lavender.

Dry: Um... yeah, lavender. That's it.

This would be great if I liked lavender - but it's almost always too harsh and jarring on my skin (Soothing? Sleep-inducing? Hell, no!), and this is no exception.

I feel lucky that I was able to obtain a bottle of this so long after it was discontinued - but Mercury just isn't a blend that works for me. I was imagining something little and fiery and red, but I just got lavender. Not my nemisis by a longshot, but not a scent that works on me, either.

:P

Just got this one from the Celestial Cricle Swap.

I can see how this one would be good for study and conversation. It's a very light mild scent. I picked it because Mercury seems to have a big influence on me, and since there was no Virgo, I went with the next best thing.

It was light to start with, even when wet. It's faded a lot during the day, but it's still there in a ghostly form. I can't quite name the flower, something light and mysterious. Possibly a little lavender. I didn't get much cinnamon in it's main form, but maybe that's what gave me the impression of a shimmery scent. And it does have a light herbal feel. I like this one a lot, it's so relaxing. Like walking through my mother's her garden just after the dew has fallen. Yummy.

From the Celestial Swap!

In the imp, Mercury is fresh, fresh lavender. On my skin, it's a peppery herbal lavender- very energizing, very peppy, not the usual "lie there and snooze" lavender that puts me down for the count.

As it dries, I can smell more herbs and spices coming out, as well as a slight citrusy tinge around the edges. No burning, not even on my sensitive skin, but I've always suspected that I'm part cinnamon anyway.

Yum!

Bottle (Imp): Pepper. Lavender.

Just On: All my nose can smell is lavender.

An hour or two later: Not all lavender now, more spices appear.

Around 6 hours: Lavender and spices.

12 hours: It's all gone.

Overall: I'm not a huge fan of lavender, though the other spices are quite nice.

After reading other reviews: I never got cinnamon, which is disappointing.

Goodness,

I wasn't quite prepared for the vibrancy of the cinnamon, but it's very delectable. Mmm!

The lavender undertone gives it an herby backdrop.

I am a university lecturer and a grad student so Mercury jumped out at me as a really important blend, not necessarily for the scent, but for the planetary power boost.

This is a bit potpourri-ish, I have to say. If it wasn't a planetary blend I'm not sure I'd seek it out or be at all interested in a bottle.

I do like the cinnamon though. It's like a cinnamon hard candy.

Mercury is one of the few oils that I have ever had a bad reaction to.

When I first applied it, it was an intriguing lavender and metal smell. Maybe it was ylang ylang that was turning metallic on me.

However, this quickly switches into pure red hots candies mode. Overpowering cinnamon that devours everything... including the top layer of my skin :P

I had to try to scrub this one off several times and still I had a swollen itchy welt on my wrist.

Way too much cinnamon in this one for me.

Fresh, strange lavender and cinnamon at first. Thankfully (for me) it strays away from the lavender swiftly. The cinnamon takes over quickly, and each whiff of it wakes me up further. It's a very energizing blend. I feel like my namesake: quicksilver. I'm so glad I scored an imp of this. Thanks for the opportunity, Original Wacky! I'll definitely pick up a bottle if it gets re-released.

Spicey Lavender?!? :P

Out of the vial this is really sweet, but it dries to something slightly medicinal (in a good way).

Very pretty. I've worn it a few times before bed, and it has a simillar effect as Sominus.

This one is so weird! :P

In the bottle: Lavender and herbs. I couldn't say what kind of herb, but something in there is familiar - it smells like something I have in my kitchen, I think. Maybe rosemary.

Wet: No more lavendar. Now it's cinnamon, but a dry rather than foody cinnamon. It's nice.

Dry: My least favorite stage. It's smells like Red Hots or fireballs, with something ... woodsy? underneath. It smells almost antiseptic.

Interesting, but definitely not for me.

Lavender!

Lavender!

Lavender...and....something else....?

Ooooh! Lavender and spices! Mmmmmm :P

Edit: After a few months, this has become my good luck BPAL. I wear it religiously every time I game, and with good effect. It's probably psychosomatic, but I feel a lot cleverer and more lucky when I put this on. And the fellas I game with like it a lot. My incredible misfortune that it's not coming back! Ah, well, time to get my begging shoes on...

Edited by aedes

In the bottle: Rich, spicy lavender.

On my skin: More of that curiously spicy lavender. Not smelling much of anything else.

Later on: What I guess to be cinnamon has come to the foreground, making this cinnamon-lavender now.

Laterlater: The lavender has really calmed down. Right now, this smells absolutely delicious on me. Must... hunt up... more... bottles!

What a perfect blend of opposites!

Lavender is calming. relaxing, balancing both physically & emotionally. The lavender is the first note you smell when applying Mercury.

Then "things" get interesting.....

A spicy note appears, I suspect it is cinnamon. That would make sense as cinnamon oil is a stimulant, specifically a sexual stimulant: increasing the flow of blood...you catch my meaning.

Cinnamon oil is a known skin irritant! Don't be puttin' it where you'll be sorry. Us sensitive ones may wish to either dilute Mercury of apply it over a moisturizer.

Overall, I like this rerelease of Mercury very much. I won't age this blend, as lavender does not tend to age gracefully.

Mercury would be wonderful in a scent locket to wear for an important presentation, or in any situation where your communcation skills need a little extra "something". I'll be very interested to see how I might be able to use this during a Mercury retrograde.

I'm very happy with this blend & glad I ordered it.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

In the bottle: minty and antiseptic. I am afraid, but I try the oil anyway.

Wet: lovely herbal freshness with a kick, perhaps ginger?

Dry: fabulous! This is a mercurial blend as it keeps morphing on me. Sometimes I get cinnamon, sometimes white musk. I also get a bit of lavender. I wish I had ordered a second bottle!

It makes sense that Mercury worked for me since I am a Virgo with my Moon in Gemini.

This was all lavender at first, and I love lavender, but then the cinnamon came through and left a huge welt on my wrist and I had to wash it off.

I get straight, pure, strong cinnamon from this one. It's sort of along the lines of All Night Long as far as the cinnamon note goes. I love cinnamon like the smell in Chimera, but this one is just a little bit much for me. With all my oils, I only keep the ones I really love, and this one is just ok. I need to find my bottle a more appreciative home, but I am so glad Beth is resurrecting some of the celestials so I get a chance to try them.:P

I was a bit nervous about applying this oil after reading how many people had irritation issues from the cinnamon. Normally, I'm fine as far as that is concerned; Eclipse is the only blend that's ever casued welts / hives on my skin after applying it. Mercury is fine... no irritation as of yet.

When I first put it on, the cinnamon seemed hard and ballsy to me, like in Three Witches (the resurrected version) and I was sure that I would need to age Mercury a little bit as well so that it would mellow and learn to play a bit more nicely with the other notes.

However, as it has dried, the cinnamon has softened and become a bit more foody. The lavender, or whatever that gentle floral note is, has come a bit more into the forefront, but neither note is really dominating the other at this point... they are actually a very harmonious blend.

This makes me feel calmer every time I smell it. It actually has a lot of similar properties of Quietude, which is my go-to blend for falling asleep at night.

Interesting. Lavender and cinnamon. But not a foody or candy cinnamon, just the spice itself. I like the scent a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to wear it. I'll have to deliberate about this one.

I let the bf have first sniff of this in the bottle this morning, and his first response was, "It smells like Vicks!" This didn't exactly inspire confidence in me (although he clarified himself by saying that he liked the smell of Vicks...) but when I smelled it I got something that smelled sharp and ever so slightly minty.

Once I applied it, however, I was able to smell cloves and cinnamon as well as the mint, which was more of an undertone when on my skin. It's spicy, but also rather woody at the same time. Strange, but I like it.

In the bottle: This is quite interesting. It's very strong and strikes me as an oil that would bring about clarity. Smelling Mercury allows your mind to cut through the fog that can, at times, envelop it, and focus on what is necessary. In terms of particular notes, I get more cinnamon than most people, but the lavender is obviously strong.

Wet: I honestly feel sharper in mind when I smell this. The cinnamon is not as strong on my skin as it was in the bottle. This is a unique, and yes, "mercurial" scent. :P

Drydown and wear: I'm disappointed in the throw on this scent. I love it--it's got great character--but it doesn't last too long on my skin. However, I tried this on at the same time that I tried on Herr Drosselmeyer, so I may need to try it again to re-evaluate it.