Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
childdoll

Trying to find the right winter scent for me

I am very much a winter child and have wanted to find the right winter scent for me for a while, but nothing I get ever works for me: I'm one of the people who can't wear "Snow White" because it turns to the Play-Doh sorta scent on me and I recently purchased "Chionophobia" but that one ended up being all oakmoss on me - not white, snowy-ness at all :( So I am on the hunt for the right winter scent from me and could really use some help...

I like white scents - anything crisp and fresh. Ozone, sharp evergreen and mint are all good.

Not crazy about anything too foody smelling - not a fan of vanilla scents at all. Not looking for any of the spicy Winter scents either (nothing with nutmeg or cinnamon, for example).

So I'm trying to find one that captures the essence of snow/winter/ice that works for me. Any suggestions?

Edited by childdoll

Yuletide might be right up your alley!! That is, so far, the only winter scent I have found that works for me. I do love Snow White, but to me, that isn't winter-y to me.

Yuletide is more Christmas-y to me. No ice or snow notes, but a nice holly/wreath kind of scent.

Edited by Numanoid

I think I may like a bit more sweetness than you do but here are some wintery/evergreen ones I enjoy:

Old Moon '08

Moon of Small Spirits

Wolf Moon

Dawn: Cernunnos

Knecht Ruprecht

Loup Garou

for citrusy & cool: Hunger Moon & Lady Death: Savage

Snow White smells like a Pina Colada on me :)

Oooh thanks for the recommendations everyone, I will look into these. Much appreciated! :)

annemathematics - I have been eyeing "Go to sleep, darlings" since many reviewers mentioned it's like Snow White without the Play-Doh effect. Decisions, decisions :)

I fully without a doubt recommend Talvikuu :) It is probably my favorite winter scent of all time. Another one I recommend is Skadi if you don't mind the addition of a berry note in your snow scents. Go To Sleep, Darlings is exceptionally beautiful and at times I prefer it more than Snow White.

Edited by Haltija

For wintery snow scents, I recommend:

The Snowglobe (sugary snow)

Nuclear Winter (pine, mint, & snow)

Blue Snowballs (blue raspberry candy & snow- smells horrible in the bottle, but heavenly on)

Yule (evergreen & snow)

I fully without a doubt recommend Talvikuu :) It is probably my favorite winter scent of all time. Another one I recommend is Skadi if you don't mind the addition of a berry note in your snow scents. Go To Sleep, Darlings is exceptionally beautiful and at times I prefer it more than Snow White.

The jotunheimr candle at the post smells completely and wonderfully like talvikuu. I also love that stuff!

The jotunheimr candle at the post smells completely and wonderfully like talvikuu. I also love that stuff!

Are you serious? I may just have to think about getting it. I wasn't even planning on getting a candle at all! Look at what you have done! XD

Are you serious? I may just have to think about getting it. I wasn't even planning on getting a candle at all! Look at what you have done! XD

The candles are clearly of a sublime quality, but I'd love it if they were a little scent-louder. I do still sometimes use the melted wax to scent my skin though...

A friend of mine recommended Skadi to me as well, actually. Might have to track it down.

Ooooh is Talvikuu part of this years Yules? I must have missed that one.

Sounds like Nuclear Winter and Go To Sleep, Darlings might very much be up my alley too.

These all sound great, thanks all. It's been hard finding the right wintery-snow scents. I hope one of these works out for me :)

A friend of mine recommended Skadi to me as well, actually. Might have to track it down.

Ooooh is Talvikuu part of this years Yules? I must have missed that one.

Sounds like Nuclear Winter and Go To Sleep, Darlings might very much be up my alley too.

These all sound great, thanks all. It's been hard finding the right wintery-snow scents. I hope one of these works out for me :)

talvikuu is an older scent. it's come out a few years so you should be able to find something on the forum. or it may reappear in the future so it's something for you to look forward to.

the trading post's a lady tall and white is actually talvikuu's kin. a bit more feminine. I'll have to death match them for you. many people splurged on the lady as she had vanilla and sandalwood listed and they expected a sweeter scent. but she's quite snowy, and as a result I think too many people are now selling her off. this could be to your gain, should you want to grab a decant or bottle/partial.

wintertime and nuclear winter from this year's yules might also work for you. and the cold white musk scent neither peace nor rest?? read the reviews and see if this calls to you.

last year's yules included a scent called winter stars. it contains mugwort which is a strong herbal note, somewhat earthy. when I huff my wrist to detect notes, the mugwort stand out. but if I just close my eyes and smell and let my mind form an image out of the scent, I really truly do smell the bright crisp air of a cold and cloudless winter night. it's an example of beth's brilliance and one of my favorites from last year's yules. I've only worn it at night, which may have put a bit of bias in my experience.

Definitely try out Winter-time from this years Yules. Soft snow scent with a little mint to it. It's really nice.

ETA - I will add that I don't care for Snow White either. It was just meh on me. But I love Winter time.

Edited by TallGrrl78

Last year's Skadi I think is lovely, cold and piney with just a hint of sweetness on me. Woods in Winter also, but that might be more woods and less snow than you'd like.

A lady talk and white might also for the bill. Testing it now and it's lovely.

I have to loudly second A Lady Tall and White (from the Trading Post, available now, get it...it's amazing...). Skadi is really nice, but it's a bit hard? Aggressive? Onduris to me was like Skadi but a bit softer, not in scent, but more feminine to me I guess.

A Lady Tall and White might be the most perfect wintery, snowy BPAL I have ever tried. It reminded me very much in the wet phase of my previous wintery favorite, which was Whirling Wind Moon, but this one is even more muchly. To quote AIW.

Forget what thread we were discussing this in, but some of have come to the conclusion that the Lab uses 3 different snow notes. I figure that there is a sweet snow note, as in Snow White, a minty snow note, as in Nuclear White, and an ozone or icy snow note, as in Moon of Ice. So the next big trick is figuring out which snow note is what blend. I've found that joining a decant circle helps for the new snowy blends. My reviews on past snowy scents should have the type of snow note, as I double-check them. :) And of course, read all the rest of the reviews!

Purple Snowballs !!!

I love this one too!

Any of the snowballs, really, might have that cold snow note you're looking for. Purple Snowballs is snow + sugar plum, currant, and cardamom, Yellow Snowballs is snow + citrus, Pink Snowballs is snow + rose, etc. etc.

And count me as yet another recommender of Skadi - it jumped to my mind as soon as I read your criteria. It might be a little bit on the sweeter side for your taste, but definitely worth trying.

I can't wear Snow White, either, but I also couldn't wear A Lady Tall and White for other reasons -- it has the ozone note that does dryer sheets on me.

However, I do want to recommend another current BPTP: Neither Peace Nor Rest, which is the same kind of cold as Cloister Graveyard, to me, a crisp, clean snow note with touches of mint and evergreen. This one is my perfect pure snow note, as someone who can't generally wear the sweet snow type blends or the ozone-y snow blends.

My personal favorite "snow" blends are probably somewhat difficult to get: Snow Moon '05 and L'Inverno. I don't know what "snow" is in either of those, but they aren't quite like anything else. My boyfriend's personal favorites are Nuclear Winter and Lines Written Among the Euganean Hills. BPAL has done a lot of lovely winter blends!