Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gingerbread with black coconut, patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

In the bottle: The gingerbread is definitely the most noticable note but there's a darker aspect to it, this isn't your average straight up sweet and foody scent, it may even appear a little bit masculine. I haven't tried Goblin on it's own so I can't compare but this is beautiful and an instant winner for me.

Wet: Oh yeah, there's the gingerbread note bursting to the forefront, it's quite prominent but it fades quickly and merges into this smooth and sensual dark scent. I'm sure it's mostly the black coconut and patchouli that I'm smelling at this point.

Dry: This stays pretty much the same as when wet however it does smells even more gorgeous on drydown, the coconut and patchouli are taking over but the gingerbread is still lurking in the background providing warmth. I think this does have a slight masculine smell about it but it's definitely still wearable for women in my opinion!

Overall: Well if I had money to buy backups of Gingerbread Goblin I would throw all of my cash at bpal right now, but alas I don't so I will savour every last drop of my precious bottle! :luv2:

Gingerbread Goblin smells nothing like Goblin or any other gingerbread scent I have tried. There's more "bread" than "ginger" in it, and yet it doesn't actually smell like baked goods per se. It's subtly sweet. Patchouli is just a whisper and I wouldn't know it was there if I hadn't seen the notes. I can tell that black coconut is the variety that I prefer, more so in this scent than in GC Goblin. Benzoin and gingerbread are the the most prominent notes and yet neither one dominates. It's all extremely well blended. After two days, one skin test, and one full day of wear, I feel like it's still baking. Maybe with time those subtle notes will make their presence known. It smells good, but I hope for just a tiny bit more oomph with age.

Even though they have no listed notes in common, Gingerbread Goblin is kind of what I wanted Hesiod's Phoenix to be. In fact, I would say there was amber and maybe some kind of vanilla in Gingerbread Goblin if I were to smell it blind. (I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote this paragraph.)

On me, Gingerbread Goblin doesn't have strong throw but it lasts for at least seven hours from one application. It's warm, soft, smooth, and comforting, like I want a good skin scent to be. This will be good for times when darker, heavier scents would be inappropriate. Just by reading the notes I thought it was going to be a backup bottle purchase for sure, but now I think I'll concentrate on getting other Yules first. Because I don't go through bottles quickly, I might not need a backup.

Something about it reminds me of a sophisticated perfume that my older-than-her-years best friend in high school used to wear circa 1989-90, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. Interestingly, GC Goblin reminds me strongly of my boyfriend from senior year of high school, just a year later.

Update, 1 February 2015: It turns out I hardly ever wear this. Even more than month later it's mostly coconut and bready gingerbread, maybe a little benzoin. By now I would have expected more of the patchouli to emerge, but I only get the faintest hint of it right when I apply it. This bears zero resemblance to my beloved Goblin, unfortunately.

Edited by boomtownrat

In the bottle it's... odd. On, I'm having a really hard time identifying anything much, other than a touch of woodsy patchouli. There's a hint of spice there, and something smoothing it out from being harsh. If I really try, I THINK I can detect a hint of coconut, but just a hint. It's got a warm feel, and is a bit dry smelling somehow. It's actually fading down pretty fast, so I may need to try this again and slather. It's blended into something smooth with a hint of spice, but no notes I can really identify individually. I was really hoping for more coconut!

About half an hour later, this has gone a bit off, I think. Could be just me, though, so it's going to get a re-test before I make any decisions about it. I really liked where it was going at first!

This is the one time I need gingerbread. This is drop dead sexy gingerbread with coconut. I need a partial...but I need a bottle of this.

Very gingerbready in the vial and wet on my skin, though I can pick up hints of the coconut and if I strain, the underlying darkness that is the patchouli. The cinnamon explodes for quite awhile before calming down but upon drydown, I get no coconut, no benzoin, no patch. It somehow smells like gingerbready black musk and I'm not a fan of black musk at the best of times. It has absolutely piqued my interest in trying the original GC, which has been on my to-try list for aaaaages because coconut + benzoin + patch sounds magical and I think without the components of the gingerbread interfering, I'd really like it.

I was hoping for more gingerbread. There's some at the beginning but then the scent changes to what to my nose reads as tobacco & cream. And, of course, it's strong & long-lasting cause I really don't like it ;) (though I have no problem with regular Goblin). Much less patchouli & coconut than the original.

Gingerbread, benzoin, and a smidge of patchouli. This one is like an amped up Gingerbread. Slightly masculine. Loads of benzoin.

In the imp: Gingerbread sweetened by coconut.

Wet on skin: Mmmmm........... this is different from the other gingerbread scents I've tried. It's not screaming gingerbread spice to me - I mean, it's there, but the sharpness of the spice has been softened by the coconut, and possibly the benzoin. I can discern a little bit of patchouli here, but I have to look for it. It blends in nicely, and gives it a touch of sharpness every once in awhile.

Dried down: Hmmmm, the gingerbread and coconut is mostly gone now, leaving me with patchouli and benzoin. Which is nice, but isn't really keeping me sniffing my wrist (unlike Gingerbread Cathedral on my other wrist).

Throw: I'm not getting a whole lot of throw from this - I have to bring my nose close. Granted, it could be that it's mixing in with Gingerbread Cathedral, because I smell that much better.

Verdict: *** 1/* This is nice, but it's not something I need more of.

I somehow got my wires crossed and ended up with both a decant and full-size bottle of this, so I hope I end up liking it a lot! I haven't tried the original Goblin scent yet, so I can't compare.

In the bottle: dark, not too spicy gingerbread. I get a bit of the coconut too, but it's a dry coconut or even husk, not fresh or fruity at all.

Wet on skin: very similar to bottle. Dry, woodsy gingerbread and coconut husk. It's got a dark, nutty, caramel-y sweetness but not much ginger at all. I actually wish it had some more kick.

Dry: The patchouli comes to the forefront, but this actually doesn't seem to change much from wet. Still dry and woodsy. I don't know if I would necessarily identify it as gingerbread if I didn't know that's what it was supposed to be.

I like this one and will wear it, but I'm not totally blown away. I wanted GINGERBREAD, damnit!

Straight-up coconut gingerbread with a hint of patchouli. This is one sexy gourmand treat! Unlike with some of the other gingerbread blends, this one doesn't bite me so I'm super pleased. I bet this is gonna age so well. Yummy.

I really wanted to love this since I am a huge gingerbread and coconut fan but it didn't quite work out on me as I had hoped. I haven't quite figured why or what ones, but certain types of patchouli blends seem to go soapy on my skin. This had a lot of soapyness upon application but gradually wore off. When it wore off the coconut and gingerbread started to come through, with a little bit of the woodsy patchouli. I really really love how it smells in the imp and just wish my skin weren't so finicky about patchouli!

I think I might like Gingerbread Goblin even more than Goblin! The gingerbread and coconut is just a great foody combo, and the patchouli and benzoin ground everything so it lasts and lasts on my skin. This isn't one I'd wear to work unless I wanted people popping into my office to ask if I have cookies, but it's perfect for wearing around the house where I can revel in the yummy scent.

Eww, right off, I'm smelling bacon. Why, I don't know, it just smells like sweet bacon cooking in a fry pan. After a bit, the meat note leaves, thank goodness, and I'm getting coconut and spices, and a whole lot of sweetness. Not detecting patch, though I wish I did, as it may have saved the blend for me. Uber sweet, sticky coconut with gingery spices. This is one of the yuckiest bpals I've tried. I still do want to try Goblin on its own though....

This is delicious! In the bottle I smell patchouli mostly. But when I dab it on my skin the wetness is all gingerbread and coconut. YUM! Then when it dries down I definitely get Goblin with delicious gingerbread. I love Goblin very much but the staying power is eh. But this scent has much better staying power and just smells better the longer it's on my skin. It doesn't have much throw and stays close to the skin but that is ok, it's just for me and doesn't bother anyone. ;) I love all the notes in this one. It's a total WIN! :wub2:

Oh and the label is so cute too. :P

Gingerbread and patchouli is not a good mix on me. This has turned incredibly sour, like gingerbread dipped in sour milk. It's quite nice in the imp, mostly gingerbread, just not meant for my skin! Boo.

Goblin smells like coconut cream, cedar-y patchouli, and warm, resinous benzoin on me. I get all of that here, but with the addition of a spicy, smoky gingerbread. It's like someone poured Goblin over a batch of smoking, burnt-around-the-edges gingerbread cookies. So it smells *really* good.

Goes on pure gingerbread, dries down with increasing patchouli and benzoin incensey-ness. The coconut is adding a hint of freshness. I was hoping for the gingerbread to be more obvious but as this dries the ginger sort of disappears.