Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A peculiar manifestation of light produced by physical mediums during ectoplasmic séances: otherworldly snaps of ozone glowing with unearthly light.

This is a tough one for me to describe. It's definitely heavy on the ozone, but unlike any of the lab's other ozone scents. It is unisex/masculine with a subtly sweet cologne-y note, aquatic, and something that smells kinda like basil without being bitter. It has a vague tinny quality that would make it suitable for the Steamworks line, but also something that reminds me of smooth, light-coloured wood.

This starts off as a blast of ozone. Not too sharp, though, just a very fresh blast. It settles down quickly, however, and the scent deepens somewhat; I am not sure what it is I'm getting, but I can see how it could come across as a woodsy type of quality.

There is also something in it that reminds me a little of Stormclouds Over the Midway!

It read as rather masculine on me, so I don't think I'll be needing a full bottle, as I tend to wear mostly feminine scents. I could see the right kind of woman pulling it off as well, though.

But if you like something fresh and a little different, and certainly masculine/unisex, this might just be for you!

Clean, fresh ozone over something a bit green, bitter, and herbal.

This definitely leans unisex/masculine to my nose, but something in it reminds me a little bit of 51 -- maybe that same airy note with greenness. The bitter greenness reminds me a little bit of the lab's leaf note.

Normally I can't really handle ozone notes, but this one doesn't go too dryer sheet on me. I think the herbal leaf scent and the bit of aquatic balances it out. This would be a good one for people who want to smell clean but not really perfume-y.

Masculine, clean, fresh ozone and bitter greens. It ends up being a little too dryer sheets on me. It reminds me as well to 51 - but much more green, and more masculine. Average throw, average wear length.

Luminous, crisp, clean.

Preconceived notions were this would be similar to 51, Vampire X, or maybe Kingsport based on based on teh notes, reviews and description theme. Never judge an imp by its description is the take home lesson here.

In vitro (decant): aquatic notes, which to my nose hint at honeydew melon, and a hint of ozone (man 'fume = generic "man sport cologne")
Wet: As above, the sweetness of the fruit component (no note listed other than ozone, which is actually quite mild here) amps a tiny bit. The "melon" is akin to the one in 51 (as mentioned above)
Drying: Initially wet melon, fruit with a sweet and aquatic feel, ozone is curiously missing, unless that is the soap bubbles, which are starting to make their presence known
Later drydown: OH HAI SOAPY BUBBLES OF DOOM. NICE TO MEETCHA. As you may have surmised, my skin is amping whatever accord/s are the "clean" and aquatic component here. It could be a skin musk, it could be some type of floral, or it could be aquatic notes but my skin chemistry turns it into a nice albeit ubiquitous and nonspecific clean soap smell. It smells like expensive liquid soap bubbles. Since most of those are scented with musk, I am guessing that is what we are getting here. The lovely melon note fades into the sunset.
About a half hour later: Still faintly soapy, with fair throw, and a wood note, which I am guessing is a faint hint of sandalwood, but I am not sophisticated at sniffing out notes so please take my guesses all with a whole shaker of salt, not just a grain.

Final impressions: I had no idea that the afterlife was so clean! This does not by any means smell like the philosophy grace series, but it has that feel, of the clean skin, just showered soapy musk without being a ringer for those fragrances. It is perfect for the just showered clean feeling, however, that is not what I am usually looking for in a perfume. I think it would be nice scenting a hair product. As this is a clean scent that doesn't go dryer sheet on me, which oft happens with ozone, and the aquatics are not aggressive, it may fill that niche in my perfume wardrobe, however, hunting down a bottle is not high on my priority list. Should I develop an urge for such a clean fragrance, or should this age so that the lovely honeydew melon develops to last longer, that scentiment may change. I will be swapping the decant most likely. Too many others to love. Durrty and musky is more my thang.

This smells like a thunderstorm in a bottle and I am madly in love. My husband's favourite BPAL is Lightning and though I know that one is meant to smell like a storm, I find that Luminous Phasmatis does the job even better. In fact, hubby is going to seriously love this so I'd better keep it hidden! Ha! It's very wet, like fresh rain, and there's lots of ozone and an almost citrussy undertone. I am so glad I bought this one. Plus, the label is fabulous!

In the decant: Ozone shot through w/ a fresh green plant note.

Wet: Very fresh and clean-smelling, in a plant in the open air sort-of-way. The ozone is not unlike that scent in the air before a thunderstorm that's just briefly passing through.

The dry-down: The herbal plant quality has diminished and the sweetness of the ozone is coming on. I love many ozone scents, and this is bottle-worthy. :) If you didn't like Moon of Ice because it was too chilly, try this instead.

Edited by thekittenkat

White musk at first with a touch of citrus tea. This fades to soap, and not the greatest one in the soap dish. It is fortunate that this is a fast fade.

It had totally escaped my notice that this was a returning scent, otherwise I would have read reviews before getting a decant. I likely still would have tried it anyway, I have recently discovered a love for ozone-but-not-aquatic scents.

Wet: Ozone is such a neat smell!! It's very light. There's a hint of something almost-but-not-quite citrusy to it. This is the epitome of clean without being soapy on me, so far. Very very light. I think it would be perfect for work for me - sometimes Stormclouds Over the Midway is just a touch stronger than I want it to be, even though I love it for it's ozone too.

Dry: Like clean fresh air after a storm. Very light, delicate, clean and lovely. I may need a bottle to wear to work.

2017 version:

Ooh clean cool draft ozone and a touch of citrus zest. I like this. Its not overpowering like when mixed with dirt or aquatics or stuffy like computer room baking circuit boards ozone. Its just airy cool night air on a spring day ozone. Yay!

2017 version:

I didn't realize this was a returning scent either! Got the decant for my guy who loves Lightning and thought it might be similar. I find this to be a lot softer and less zappy. Light, fresh, and aquatic and ozone with a little bit of citrus. Literally a breath of fresh air.

I don't really get ozone from this,  at least not in the sense of a misty aquatic that I associate with bpal's typical ozone note. Rather, this smells like a very light, ghostly musk. I smell faint tinges of vanilla and ambergris, I think, with the faintest hints of a citrus cologne. This smells like the ghost of Hellfire to me.  It's so faint, I almost wonder if my nose isn't registering everything. After about 15 mins, it warms on my skin and becomes more herbal. It's still very much a skin scent though. Masculine, leaning towards gender neutral.

ETA - I'm surprised by all the prior reviews mentioning soapiness. I get no soap, though it is a "clean" skin smell. Usually, my chemistry finds any mist, ozone or aquatic notes and amps them to soapy high heaven.  There must be something different in here from the usual aquatic. My bottle is also from 2017 and has aged 2.5 years. Maybe that makes a difference?

Edited by VetchVesper