Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tranquil scent, illuminated by joy and warm with the serenity of love: bourbon vanilla and soft sandalwood with tiare, white fig, sweet benzoin, guiac wood, French lavender, and a touch of warm patchouli.

Reminds me of A Sudden Invitation and the Red Queen with out the cherry and plum replaced by lavender.

Skipping down the street its lavender loveliness and woodsy. Simply beautiful

the vanilla, sandalwood and the patchouli are in the background supporting the scent.

I dunno why but this invokes spring to me.

This smells almost EXACTLY like LUSH's Twilight bath bomb to me. TKO has always been similar but where it falls short, A Moment In Time takes up the slack. This is utterly amazing. A sweet, floral, vanilla lavender with a bit of patch to ground it. Absolutely superb. I need a backup.

In the bottle all I get is lavender. Wet, it's lavender with something almost edibly sweet which I believe is the bourbon vanilla.

Dry - the fig is strong with this one! I think I must amp fig. It reminds me of Iole. The fig note drowns out the others for a while but after an hour or so it settles down and the vanilla comes through again. The wood notes are really taking a back seat but I think they must be doing their bit all the same!

It's a close-to-the-skin scent, and very comforting.

In the bottle: Definitely lavender dominant. I love lavender, so this isn't a bad thing. There is also a hint of the woods and the bourbon vanilla lingering in the background.

Wet: The lavender is the most prominent note, but the fig is pretty strong, too, and there is a hint of the woods. Fortunately, I can't really pick out the patchouli in this one, so if you are worried about the patchouli in this blend, don't let it scare you away. I am not really getting much vanilla at this point in time, but I'm hoping it will make its presence known on the drydown, as I adore blends that combine lavender and vanilla. The lavender and white fig combo reminds me of Trading Post's Thirst of Unbearable Things candle. I have a few bottles of Lush's Twilight perfume and shower gel, and I have to say that this blend doesn't remind me of that at all (despite it also containing lavender and benzoin), but perhaps that is because the fig is so prominent on me.

Dry: The white fig is the dominant note now, although the lavender still remains. The wood notes are also more prominent now, warming up the blend along with the hint of patchouli.

Verdict: I was hoping this would be mostly lavender and vanilla on me, but alas, that was not the case! I will be holding onto this one to see how it ages, though.

*edit* Three hours after this review was posted, the woody notes and the patchouli were the most prominent notes to my nose, but they stayed close to the skin. A few hours after that, the vanilla did emerge, but by that point, the scent stayed so close to my skin that I had to put my nose right up to my wrist to smell it.

*second edit* After a few weeks of settling, the bourbon vanilla note has come out more (in the bottle and on my skin).

Edited by dementia_divine

I have to say, before I ordered, the one note that I was the teensiest bit worried about was the Tiare since I can amp certain florals to high heaven. Not in this. I get the lavendar, some sandalwood, maybe the fig,with the sweetness of the bourbon vanilla. Ted blended this so beautifully that nothing stomps on anything else. It doesn't really do much morphing, maybe after an hour I'm getting a bit more of an earthiness, perhaps some of the patchouli coming into play? I'm not a huge patchouli-heavy scent wearer and this not heavy on the patchouli at all, so patchouli haters, never fear! In fact, I have it on as a bedtime scent, and purchased it hoping that it would be good for that purpose. It is, indeed. Beautiful job, Puddin'! This may be hoard worthy!

ETA: It's 7+ hours after I put this on, and I have woken up with the scent still lingering. It is softer and close to the skin, but still there. I don't have very many oils that hang on that long, usually my skin eats things. This has some really good staying power.

Edited by Sammylynn929

This one is such a pretty scent. It's definitely light! Reminds me of Our Lady of Pain's young and innocent little sister. Must be the lavender/patchouli combo!

Another from the Fatherhood series that I've tried and loved :heart:

Edited by ziggystardust13

In bottle: This review is a bit tentative as I’m not as clear on which scent is called which thing in a couple cases. I will do my best guess. That is a lot of benzoin with lavender in support. The woods blend well with the benzoin and are the second strongest faction, with a touch of patchouli in support. Vanilla is next strongest, with fig support and what I’m guessing as taire, filling in the cracks and tying it all together. Wet: The elements differentiate on the skin better, but function about the same, with the main difference being that lavender overtakes benzoin gradually as it warms, the bourbon vanilla is richer, and the thing I am pretty sure is taire stands out much clearer. The affect morphs rather as the lavender comes out, making it less aftershavey and more foody. Dry: Lovely and surprisingly ladylike: lavender, bourbon vanilla, sandalwood, mostly.

Yes to Twilight's Lush bomb reference. Yes to the lavender, patchouli, fig and vanilla.

So on wet, it's more of a lavender fig blend. As it dries, I get more vanilla, more patchouli and 1000x more snuggles.

This blend is ultra comforting, ultra snuggling, and just want to envelope you in one giant hug. This blend tells you it will always love you, no matter what.

This is BPAL's version of Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up. Minus the cheese, and 100x the adorableness.

Hearts a flutter, and off to hunt me down some more.

wet, this is a lovely soft lavender and a fruity white fig. Fruitier than I was anticipating.

drying, the fig burns off a bit and the vanilla/benzoin steps out of its shadow. The first hints of patchouli emerge , adding to the snuggliness of the scent. The patch is restrained. THis is sweet and soft and feminine.

full drydown - so so pretty. soft, gentle, cloudy lavender, woody patchouli (which stays in the background), hazy benzoin and powdery sandalwood.

Decanted by Obliquered. 4th Post item tried.

In Decant: Lavender and fig. Lavender usually smells very masculine to me, but not so in this bottle. Very pretty, and girly.

On wet: Lavender and vanilla and fig. It's dreamy and warm. This smells like how sleeping on a purple cloud would feel.

One hour later: This is perfect. This is the first BPAL thing where the moment I smelled it, I knew I had no choice but to grab a bottle. Perfect perfect perfect. It's lovely Vanilla and lavender and fig with a hint of sandalwood. I love this.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like lavender. I like the IDEA of lavender, but often in blends it's so screamingly astringent that it can ruin the entire blend for me (see Capax Infiniti). Right off the bat, this is definitely very much lavender. If I try really hard, I can get hints of the vanillic benzoin and bourbon vanilla and maybe a tad of the sandalwood but lavender is running this particular show. I really wish the lavender had backed off because all of the other notes are ones I adore (vanilla, benzoin, patch, fig, tiare, woods).

In the imp: bourbon vanilla with lavender, like TKO with a bourbon twist, also has a hint of sandalwood

Will update when I try it on

A Moment in Time is absolutely gorgeous. It's not much of a morpher on me, though the woods are a bit stronger when wet and it starts a little sharp. It quickly dries down into a slightly sweet vanilla lavender, with a touch of dry earthiness underneath. I love wearing this to bed, everything blends together so nicely into a soothing scent. So glad I gambled on a blind bottle!

Definitely soft lavender is the most prominent note. I am generally not a huge lavender fan, although I like TKO as a sleep blend.

Back behind the lavender is a little bit of sandalwood and vanilla. I definitely agree with the reviews that call this a gentle, soft, soothing sort of scent. I don't really like it as a perfume, but I would definitely use this as a room spray. Low throw, moderate lasting power.

what a beautiful scent! it starts off as a soft lavender vanilla, but it's (obviously) more complex than TKO. i think tiare, fig and benzoin may be most prominent? the woods and patchouli are very subtle. this reminds me of TKO crossed with the emathides, 2 of my favorite scents, though i think those 2 scents work better with my skin chemistry, i like this one a lot.

Edited by theseagrows

Vanilla and sandawood are always perfect BPAL combinations to me ...

And when I found out there is tiare and fig in this one I just HAD to have it! :laugh:

I looooove the lavender too, it is really prominent on my skin and offcorse herbalish,

but it's the sweet kind {and not green}

I thin the white fig might be the one note that makes it smell sooooo good on me :wub:

No regrets what so ever for buyihng this unsniffed at all.

I already wore it like 3 times since I own a bottle! :biggrin:

In the bottle - Green like grass, with a medicinal LAVENDER yelling at me.

Wet - Sandalwood and daisies. A little more astringent than I’d like. Oh, patchouli. Patchouli and … headache potential. Go ahead and ruin my dreams, why don’t you. There’s still a little bourbon vanilla sweetness underneath everything, so not all is lost.

Drydown - SO much better on drydown. Now it’s sweet grasses in a warm summer breeze. I wish it was like this right out of the gate. It’s cozy and sweet with a nip of herbal.

Verdict - This is lovely once it reaches its “sweet grasses” destination, but I’m not really willing to wait for it to get there every time I want to wear this. I will retest before I swap, but I’m not a particularly patient person and I can’t envision sitting through a 1+ hour awkward period before my desired scent makes an appearance.

Lavender at first, along with bright fruits, which I'm guessing is the fig. Less lavender and fruit after a bit, and more vanilla. This reminds me of a more vanilla heavy Mysterious Warning. I bet foodies would be all over this one, it's the most yummy vanilla. I would describe it as a cupcake with lavender icing. A more vanilla heavy tko, too would be another one this reminds me of. This one may be a bit too foody for me, but I wouldn't turn down more if it fell on my lap.

FIG! And vanilla. Delicious, but very light. Hardly any lavender, surprisingly. This is a warm and comforting blend.

I'm spoiler-ing the evocative imagery and the personal childhood story, in case you just want the review... :biggrin:

A Moment in Time is one of my favorites, a staple for a day that I anticipate being long, stressful, or otherwise challenging. This is one of the blends that I find really evocative of the story/picture associated with it. It does feel like those moments you have with someone that are so sweet and true and joyful, and they are also grounded, because you know they will never happen exactly that way ever again. They will never be this age again. We will never see this for the first time again. It's not sad, exactly, but there's a gravity, importance, sacredness to those moments.

Just before I turned 8, Halley's Comet was visible and it was a big deal, all over the news. My Papa (my adopted grandfather) came in from out of town specifically to visit me so we could see it together. I remember standing with him in the front yard of our house and getting ready to look for it. He tried to explain to me how significant the moment was, and I'm not sure I got it then, but I get it now. We could see the comet together on that day, but that we would never see it again together, because it only occurs every 75 years. I would probably have the chance to see it when it next came around, but it was his only chance in his lifetime to see it, and he wanted to share it with me.

So, for me, this is the scent of a moment like that: peace and love and joy... and significance. Wet, it's more soft lavender (and probably I group the patchouli in with the herbiness of the lavender). The sweetness of the vanilla/benzoin and fig feature more on the drydown (even reaching for it, I never get the tiare specifically), and the woods ground out the whole thing and keep it from being too simple or too sweet. It has lasting power on me (all day with no reapplication), but it stays close.

Thank you, Ted, for sharing the Moment.

I love this so much, tiare is my favorite and I love bpal's french lavender :)
This is truly warm and comforting to my nose, I use it a lot to go and fall asleep, tranquility galore!

Edited by lunaticana

Liked this in the bottle - it reminded me of chocolate and mint (which I think was the combination of benzoin with bourbon and vanilla), but then the benzoin was like hahaha, I am going to ruin this party for you and get all medicinal on your ass. It's not nearly as bad as some benzoins on me, but it still gives me that nostril tinging that makes me go "benzoin, you party pooper!" The herbs come into play later, but benzoin = death note.

Decant: sweet, white and faint lavender
Wet on Me: aahhh the sandalwood and now the faint patchouli. By all the gods Beth does the most amazing patchouli notes.
Drying Down: sandalwood and patchouli are doing this mating dance together under my nose. not getting any lavender now but I'm okay with that.
Dry: a nice smooth blend of the sandalwood and now a vanilla lavender. this truly is a pleasant moment in time captured in scent.

In the bottle: All I smell is lavender, oh noes, and not the sweet, sugared lavender that I’m accustomed to, but a strong herbal lavender, this much be the “French” part of the French lavender note.

Wet on the Skin: I still get the lavender but now I’m getting a bit of patchouli as well. At this stage it’s still a super strongly lavender with patchouli blend and not quite what I was expecting. I really hope this lavender mellows out a bit because it’s still way too herbal for me. get the heavy handed lavender but on the skin it blossoms into a gorgeous figgy patchouli lavender blend. I think I need a back-up.

Dry on the Skin: After it dries out, the fig completely comes to forefront. I get a really sweet fig that’s mellowing out the lavender, with patchouli in the background grounding the whole scent. This is a gorgeously sweet lavender blend. The sillage is pretty strong but it creates more of a cloud of scent around me. I applied at about 7 am and it last for a good 5 hours without reapplication.

So, apparently I never reviewed this, even though it's one of my all-time favourite bedtime scents. For me, it's the combination of the sweet benzoin and sticky fig with the lavender that really does it for me. The sweetness cuts the herbal, sometimes astringent edge that lavender can have, and makes this so soothing and comforting. A great scent for rainy days, too!