Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

Grog in the bottle: Like a butterscotch alcohol. Very sweet. Alcohol notes are in the background.

Wet: The alcohol becomes more pronounced and a citrus note pops through. Butterscotch becomes more caramel.

Dry: Alcohol is gone--or became part of the blended scent. The citrus became slightly sour/tangy. Sweet caramel and butterscotch is still quite present... possibly laced with alcohol?

Through a few hours: Getting whiffs of coconut. The citrus is definitely gone. Throughout the past few hours the scent has been unwaveringly sweet... sadly, it's almost sickening.

Overall, I'd have to say that Grog is too sweet for me. Edited by Shollin

Category: Bewitching Brews

In the Vial: Mmmmmmmrum. Nothing else. Buttery, sweet rum.

On Wet: Mmmmmmrum.... salt? W--what? Where's the salt come from? Well, it's pirate rum, so we'll go with it! Why not? But it's something sharp and -- salty? Yes, I think it's salty. Tropical breezes, maybe? Is that a note of coconut? Maybe... but definitely

Dry: The scent stays true even after drydown.

This replaces hellcat as my buttery-rummy scent, hands down. It doesn't have that heavy weight that Hellcat has that makes me feel like I'm coated in buttercream frosting--because while I liked Hellcat, it just felt so heavy and thick and was thick and sticky in scent and...

This isn't. Grog is better if you want a rummy scent, in my opinion. A bottle will be on my list.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

Butterscotch, with a bit of, I swear-sandalwood in this blend. It is interesting to have a woody-sweet combo. I wasn't sure if this was going to work at first, but it settles into something sweet, but tempered by the wood. I'm not sure if my skin chemistry is just being weird, but it worked well for me! I like it. Medium throw and average wearlength.

Grog smells very sweet and buttery at first and then you can smell a little bit of caramel with I guess sandalwood thrown in. But it is not the smooth sandalwood I am used too but a bit too bitter or maybe a sandalwood with a bite. At one point I noticed citrus but it came and went so fast I wasn't sure if it was there at all. The same thing could be said for the coconut, it's there and then it's gone. Grog is very foody, but my husband said he loves this one on me. It does get better the longer I wore it.

In the vial: Butterscotch and almond jello pudding (in a good way)

On me: Like Sweet Melissa's Almondina Biscotti... if it were Almondina Butterscotchy. It may be too rich for my blood, but I'm liking it plenty so far.

Later: I think it's too strong for me. It makes me feel heady with scent.

When first applied, all I get is butterscotch. Pure, sweet butterscotch. After a minute the rum comes through and it becomes a very strong, boozy scent. I can actually feel an ache stirring in the back of my head now which, though not something I'm thrilled about, adds to the effect, I suppose.

In the vial (initial impression):

Woah! Creamy, delicious, boozy. Mmmm - heck, I'm tempted to drink this!

Initially on (wet):

A strangely spicy and intoxicating scent, with a creamy background.

Wearing it (dry):

It quickly mutated into something "bleh!" on my skin, which horrified me. Guh! It makes my stomach turn. Actually, no, I can't wait - this HAS to get off my skin RIGHT NOW. *feels sad* I wanted this to be my Heru-wer scent!

Finally:

Swap, swap, swap.

Grog smells like butterscotch! I wasn't sure I wanted to smell like butterscotch, but I must admit that it is the perfect Butterbeer scent for Harry Potter fans. So I wore it to the movie. Surprisingly, the warming and chemistry from my skin made it rather lickable. Eventually, the scent sweetened somewhat, but still had that butterscotchy flavor. It was fun. Definitely a fun and playful scent.

Wow! This scent is absolutely divine on me. and 1, I don't like food scents and 2, in the imp I thought I'd never like it.

in the imp: strong, creamy liquid gooey honey-consistency butterscotch.

on wet: strong butterscotch with a high note which just feels intoxicating.

on dry: a nice foody butterscotch dominated scent with a perfumy draft to it that balances out the butterscotch nicely. I know there's some sort of alcohol in there somewhere, but I don't detect it. It smells great and I'm sure to be wearing this more often. A big bottle? perhaps!

ARRRRRR

In the imp: Mmmm, buttery! This usually means that it will smell godawful on my skin.

Wet: Mmmmmmmm! Butterscotch!

Drying: Cloying-sweet butterscotch.

Dry: Baby powder. Aw, man!

in the bottle: It smells gooey. Like those cheapo and overly sweet candies you get at Halloween

on (wet): it just smells...sweet. Really really sweet; like some kind of cream and toffee monstrosity.

on (dry): leaning in to kiss me, my boyfriend instantly recoiled, wrinkled his nose and stated, "you smell like breakfast." I have to agree; wearing this I smelt like waffles and syrup. No rum smell on me what so ever.

verdict: 0 out of 5 I can't explain how repelled I was by this scent. It's just too sweet and sticky smelling for me. Maybe other's with different skin chemistry will have better reactions, but for me...blegh.

grog.jpg

Imp: Butterscotch? This is very like Elegba in the imp--that sort of buttered rum scent. Anyone familiar with the rum cakes sold all over the caribbean can imagine this scent.

Wet: buttered rum, a hint of something almost fruity and a disturbing twinge of playdoh.

Dry: Alas, plastic, playdoh, and buttershots. Buttershots is among my favorite liquors, and I wish it was simply that, but I cannot stomach the weird playdoh plastic.

Edited by jewelbug

This smelled exactly the way Life Savers Butter Rum candies taste. I'm not a fan of those at all and was tempted to wash, but kept thinking, hey, it's Grog! I have to love grog, right? I kept hoping it would morph, but it stayed exactly the same as it faded. I like rum scents, but the rum in here smelled very artificial to me, and it made me kind of queasy. Off to swaps.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet!

I have a two year old imp that looks like it's spent part of it's time on an actual pirate ship. It's all stained and smeared and beat up looking. :P

In the imp, wet on me, and dry on me it's a like a butterscotch-y rum. The rum keeps the butterscotch in check, but it also makes this a scent that I can't wear very often because I kinda reek like rum when I wear it. Not a BPAL for a job interview, heh.

in the bottle why, hello there, coconut, my old friend from creepy. it's a very, very sharp coconut, like it's fermented or something. it gives a definite alcoholic twang to the scent.

wet on skin coconut and butterscotch. mm, nice.

dry on skin still about the same, but slightly softer and sweeter. this smells like some kind of expensive emollient for tanning or something, with cocoa butter and coconut milk and a dollop of sugar.

2 hours later still working hard!

my daughter put some of this on before bed last night and it was still quite sniffable this morning. O_o

it's a very nice scent, but not terribly evocative of pirate rum. it's one of the few cases of a BPAL oil being more pleasant than particularly "mood"y.

Wet: WHOA! Strong boozy rummy butterscotchness!

10 mins later: Mmmmm this smells like boozy butterscotch. I want to lick my arm. It reminds me of my favorite christmas candies the butterscotch lifesaver packs with the weird santa on them.

Loving this.. going to order a .5ml for weekends and wearing around the house.

Winner!

Bottle: Butterscotch

Wet: Butterscotch shnapps, which is one of my favorite mixers. It smells exactly like it, it's amazing!

Drydown: Another one that makes me wanna chomp on my arm. That's what I get for liking foodies. There might be a hint of citrus, but I can't pick it up well enough, it's elusive.

3.5 outta 5

Grog started out smelling like caramel then it soon changed to butterscotch and booze. It's nice but I had to wash it off when it started to burn. Oh well.

This is butterscotch rum with a conflagrant alcoholic bite to it. I get the alcoholic aspect very strongly on my skin, and it balances out the very gourmand, extremely syrupy sweet butterscotch quite nicely! Accomplishes its primary objective wonderfully - this is the scent of high alcohol content buttered rum. I smell edible and drinkable. Yum! :P

Ahoy, this be a tasty one fer ye food lo'ers - ye o'ers be walkin' the plank, gar!

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

In the bottle: Booze

Wet: Damn! Strong rum and butter.

Drying: Much more coconut is coming to the surface. I'm still getting the butter and booze too. There's spiciness too, almost a cinnamon-sugar chaser. A heady mix indeed.

This was a surprising mood-lifter for me. Perhaps I should have hot buttered rum more often! Actually I don't know that I've ever had hot buttered rum. No need now. I'll just need to get a bottle of Grog!

Edited to add verbs. Verbs are good.

Edited by pensarepink

I got no butterscotch from Grog--just RUM, straight, alcohol-y rum. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't really want to go around smelling like rum. People get ideas.

As everyone else has been saying...

Major rum, with a shot of butterscotch. Very strong stuff.

It is way too foody for me, and there's no way that I could wear this in public without fearing that I'd get picked up for public intoxication. Yo ho ho and a bottle of Grog? Nah, not for me, but I'll have fun with the imp.

Butterscotch and rum. Very strong. On my skin and dry it rounds out to smell more like butterscotch cookies with a dribble of booze. This is a mixed blessing because it makes me smell too edible and I have to fend off my roomie from chewing on my arm. :P

WOW. That's all I can say. I just went back over my perfume collection for the first time in months and discovered that, hey! I have Grog!

Like others have said, BUTTERSCOTCH. This makes me insanely happy as most chocolatey/sugary scents don't work on me. I don't really pick up any of the boozey scents, but it's still an amazing keeper!