Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Lolita

Bright, sweet and youthful, but swelling with a poisonous sexuality. Glittering heliotrope, honeysuckle, orange blossom and lemon verbena.

In the imp: Spicy and sweet, I can't really place any of the initial smells. It's just really spicy and sweet. Not the first thing that comes to mind when someone says "Lolita" but I can kinda see it.

Wet: Spicy, vaguely minty, I think that might be the verbena actually since it's pretty herbal.... The orange is getting out a bit, this slight, sharp, bite of a scent, but I'm getting more of the "mature" than I'm getting the "youthful" at the moment.

Drying: Fruity? It's vaguely like the orange fruit loops, but softer, so...orange blossoms? It's getting delicious and mellow, and I can definitely smell the blend of verbena with the orange blossom. I don't really know what heliotrope smells like so I can't say much about that, but there might be a faint hint of honeysuckle. My body chem tends to amp most fruit-related-blossom scents so that might be why I'm not getting any of that though.

Dry-fade: NOW I'm getting the youthful! The orange blossom's definitely coming through, and I love how it blends with the verbena. It's a really cute scent! I might have to wear it longer to see if it's a real bottle candidate like Alice, but at the moment I'm liking it a lot. Definitely a sweet scent for everyday, just the way I like them ^^. Oh! Give it a little time and yum! It's both youthful AND has that scent that's reminiscent of a girl trying out mom's perfume for the first time and uncertainly trying new things. This is getting closer to bottle candidacy as I type! It's gone away from being sweet to being more spicy, but that just adds to the appeal. Like the character of Lolita herself, the scent does a lot of morphing before it's through. Edited by amnerine

I put this on today (after nearly spilling it all over myself) and it smelled very sweet. A dry sweet, but sweet. And sort of floral...but nothing I could put my finger on.

I realized as it dried that it smelled familiar. yes...this smells like the lobby at The Venitian to me. Not my kind of thing (but it kind of makes me want to go see Blue Man Group).

Lolita

This is the scent that made me realize that I should read reviews of a scent before purchasing it. Because theoretically I love the smell of orange blossom, but

This was straight CLOYING CANDY on me. Like candy + baby aspirin. I smell...exactly like Sparks. If smelling like sharp orange candy from ten miles away is your thing you will love this. This could not be less "me" though, ugh. And it is POWERFUL. I scrubbed and scrubbed and couldn't get it all off.

Tried it on my dude for kicks, since almost everything that has not agreed with my skin has been great on him, but it smelled possibly even sweeter and more gag-inducing on him.

At least I learned a valuable lesson though! If I see candy mentioned in any reviews I will automatically assume it is not for me.

In the imp: vibrant juicy oranges

Wet on skin: lemon verbena, a bit of anise, honeysuckle

Drydown: bubbly lemon and orange in a backdrop of heliotrope, sexy and clean, light and breezy

Verdict: a wonderful light floral citrus blend for summer. Innocent with hint of naughtiness. I would savor this for a hot humid summer day. I don't wear halter tops and short shorts any more, but this reminds me of those days when I could, wearing my hair up in a ponytail, flaunting my new pink lipstick.

The honeysuckle is the predominant note on me, and really lasts for ages. (Good thing I like honeysuckle! :D) I get the verbena in the earlier stages, but it recedes into the background.

It's very sweet, in a sticky yet non-cloying sort of way, with a good throw. I do like it, but I don't think I'm in love with it :P

This smells like honeysuckle and orange to me in the imp. Not as candy-ish as I would have thought based on the reviews. Honeysuckle is a bit hit or miss with me, so I'm not sure how this blend will be on my skin.

Urgh, yeah, I basically just get HONEYSUCKLE from this. I don't get any sweetness and barely any citrus. :P

Meh, on drydown it's just powdery lemon honeysuckle. Almost Pledge-y. No go for me.

I am usually not too keen of Orange Blossom. That stuff gives me whiskey face. However, the lemon verbena is killing me with it's lovelyness. I love myself some lemon verbena.. I do smell sweet but with a cute little tart side in me that is waiting to pop out and say "seduce me old men!!" ...err... maybe not? :D

But cereally.. this is lovely and fresh and tart and...mmmm fresh. Everything an old man would want in a wanton young girl.

To sum it up... Lemon Verbena spa lovelyness... and it's a keeper. :P

Disclaimer: I'm testing this with a head cold. :P

Imp age: Two months?

In the imp: Too stuffy. Can't smell it.

On: Something in this reminds of Vampire Tears! It's got that fruity bubblegum vibe. Something is threatening to do something strange on my skin.. might be the honeysuckle. -crosses fingers-

Dry: Amnerine, was right, this is like a softer Froot Loops sort of scent. Orange blossom is predominant, followed by the lemon and honeysuckle (which has decided to behave). Very pretty! I'm not getting much of the "poisonous sexuality" here... it's mainly very soft and innocent.

Overall: Will have to test this again on a day when I can actually smell, but so far this is a winner! I can see this going into regular rotation in the spring and summer. The only problem is the throw..

Throw: Minimal. I have to huff my hand to smell it, though I DO have a cold, so don't take my word for it.

Color association: Soft orange.

sheesh, what is up with me and turning citrus scents into candy today? Blech. It's not as bad as tweedledee but I'm learning quickly that orange is too sweet for me.

At first, I found the lemon to be really sharp and a little medicinal to my nose - definitely a strong citrus .. but thankfully that sharpness only lasted for about 10 minutes after it was on my skin. Once it dried down, Lolita turned into a beautiful soft and powdery lemon, and now I can sense the honeysuckle like a fluffy carpet under the lemon. I'm not really getting the orange at all, which is a shame because that's the one I was really looking for in this blend.

Half an hour later and lemon is still the strongest note, but it has really mellowed out into an earthy kinda lemon - perhaps that's the orange at work, balancing out the sour with a bit of sweet.

This is really lovely and light on me, very clean and crisp - something for a nice sunny day - it's definitely one for a flouncy dress rather than jeans.

:P

For the first few minutes this smelled divine on my skin - the lemon verbena is lovely, but after it dried the lemon went away and it was just a strong floral.

So sad - I had such hope for this one.

I opened this imp before reading the scent description, and I knew immediately that this was lemon verbena. That's all I smell.

It is lovely when wet, but unfortunately the lemon turns into Pledge when it dries. *sigh* I continue to hunt a wonderful lemon blend that doesn't do that.

In the bottle: It smells like lemony soap. It’s quite sweet actually.

Wet: I don’t know… Flowers and herbs bathing in lemon juice? On me, it’s a bitter-sweet poison, with a soapy scent underneath.

Dry: Probably my strangest association so far: do you remember the nasty old neighbour of your childhood, who used to burst open every ball that had the unfortunate luck of falling on her yard? Well, it smells like her.

Verdict: Poor Lolita… She fell into the claws of a pedophile and must have started to hate the world afterwards, or at least that’s what her perfume suggests. Honestly, if I get another sample of this one for free, I’ll throw it down the drain. (Note: I hate to waste, so I'll try to turn the sample I have into soap, or something like that.)

Not a floral fan, but this was a frimp, so what the hell.

Imp: Lemon drops! Sweet sticky lemon candy, with a little spicy orange. I'm shocked, but this smells really good. Then again, I really like lemon drops. It's a little floral, too. Fun!

Wet: Floral soap and lemon drops! Lots of honeysuckle, heliotrope, and sweet orange blossom and lemon verbena. Almost sort of bubble-gummy without being artificial. Sweet and girly and fresh and young.

Dry: A spicy, citrussy, candy-ish floral now, with tons of heliotrope and honeysuckle. I can see this being a fun summer-day-at-the-pool scent, but I'm not sure I'll hang on to it for that, it's not terribly me. That being said, this captures the teasing "innocence" of a budding girl amazingly well-- it's fresh and sweet and somehow still just a little sinful.

In the vial: Lemon and orange soap.

Wet: Spicy lemon soap.

Drydown: Sweet, round (?) lemon soap, there's a faint bitter note.

Overall: This scent screams 'I'm a Lemon Soap!' Not for me.

First sniff on the skin = :thud: This is sooooooooo good!!! I LOVE this blend! Bright, sweet, zesty, flirty, and fun! I get a lot of lemon verbena, honeysuckle, and heliotrope...there's orange blossom in there, too, right? Anyway, this one is not for the lemon shy, but if you are a lemon verbena lover such as myself, this is heavenly! Lolita is a gorgeous sweet, sunny, summery citrus blend. I must have more of this!

In the imp: I took a sniff when this first arrived, and it was nothing but LEMONY verbena, so I put it away for some time. This time, the imp scent is much more complex: still bright and lemony, but with a sweet, creamy quality from the honeysuckle and heliotrope that makes me think of sugary lemon candies. The orange blossom is much fainter, but it's also there, blending with the lemon verbena. It's a pale yellow, nearly edible scent.

On, wet: Tart lemon and softer orange blossom, with a sweet, wispy background from the honeysuckle to keep the lemon in check. It's a very playful, bright-eyed, flirtatious scent. It doesn't necessarily give me the hyper-sexualized vibe I'd expect from Lolita, but it is very young and pretty and flirty.

On, dry: So beautiful! This is the perfect balance of tart, sassy lemon, creamy heliotrope and sweet honeysuckle. It's voluptuous and fresh, neither too sweet nor too citrusy. Now I can see why this is for Lolita, because there's youth and sass here, but also something ripe and sensual in the sweet flowers, and it's a potent combination. Innocently sexual, I'd say, and maybe a little bit candyish.

Later: Mostly heliotrope and honeysuckle, with a haze of orange blossom to add some spirited citrus. Soft and quietly gorgeous, though still with decent throw. It won't knock anybody over, but if they get close enough to talk to you, they'll be enticed to come closer. ;)

Overall: I wasn't prepared for how much I liked this one, but I think this is easily one of my favorite citrus scents (along with Croquet, which has the same playful vibe, but not the sensuality). Everything is in balance here, with just enough sweetness (honeysuckle), creaminess (heliotrope) and bright, tart citrus (lemon verbena and orange blossom), which all blends together in a flirty, irresistible way. The throw is excellent but not overpowering, and the staying power is good. I don't think I have a thing in common with Lolita, but I want a big bottle of this stuff now.

The lemon's a bit too much and it ends up smelling a bit cleaning product-y.

2/5 I don't think lemon works for me.

Florals are almost always insta-fail on me, with very few exceptions. It looks like Lolita is one!

These notes don't act much like flowers on my skin at all. Instead I'm getting a delicious fruity musk. I love it, and I'll be tacking on a bottle of this to my next lab order. My husband will LOVE it on me.

Wet, this is omg!lemon in the same vein as Embalming Fluid, but much stronger. As it dries, the lemon tones down, and the orange blossom comes out, giving the scent a light, pretty floral background, though the predominant note is still primarily lemon. Pretty, but waaaaay too lemon-y for me.

Edited by delighted

Can I preface this by saying that Lolita is the best book I have ever read, and that I have read quite a few books? Very well, then.

In bottle: Sharply perfumey orange.

On me, wet: Lots of throw! Smells like powdery orange candy, or chewable Vitamin C tablets, with floral underpinnings. I kinda like it. This is sweet and energetic and youthful; I don’t get the “poisonous sexuality” so much, but then, the title character’s purported “poisonous sexuality” was just projected by the self-pitying pervert narrator and probably had no non-subjective existence anyway.

On me, drying: Buoyant fruit-flavoured candy and flowers. Kind of pleasant, but also kind of headache-inducing. The jury is out on this one.

On me, dry: Dries down to a honey-sweet floral. The fruity smells have gone away. Still kind of headache-inducing.

Wet: Slightly fruity very sugary with a hint of herby lemon. Fresh.

Dry down: Oh. Well that's a little dissapointing. Don't get me wrong this isn't lemon Pledge or Lysol, but whoever said "hotel lobby" was dead on.

I wish the freshness stayed and didn't turn into powdery, carpet cleaner.

Imp: Puts me in mind of a more herbal New Orleans.

Wet: Very pretty. The sweet honeysuckle plays nicely with the heliotrope. It is playful and girly. I almost catch the scent of new mown grass.

Dry: The heliotrope is even more noticeable. It is more womanly than the rest of the blend...a little flashy. Beth really captures that worldly/innocent dichotomy.