Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dry white sandalwood wrapped in thin woods, soft grasses and the lightest white flowers layered over cajeput and the warm, deep scent of embalming herbs.

This reminds me a lot of Wolfsbane, only not as sharp. As it dries, rose sulks out from behind the sandalwood and turns soapy.

On my boyfriend, the sandalwood disappears and rose totally dominates the blend-- but instead of being soapy, it smells natural and exotic. I don't think it's something he would actually wear, though...

The verdict: I can't see past the rose; this will probably be swapped.

In the Vial: I can't really pick anything out, any individual notes, I smell something a little sweet I think but that's it.

Wet: I still can't pick anything out... :/ It's like a muted scent, Hopefully it'll change once dry.

Dry: Light. A little herby, almost... It's so light though, I'm not really getting any individual notes... Wait, No, I can. I can smell a little bit of Sandalwood, but that's about it...

Conclusion: If you want something very light, that you can't tell really what's in it, a little herby, this one would be for you. I won't be getting a big bottle because I like STRONG scents. It could also be good for layering. But, Not for me.... it goes to Swaps.

Edited by Pixie-elf

wet- soap! the soap they use to use in school. something similar to ivory soap.

as it dries- how very odd. it smells rather like..paper. dry, dusty, crumbling pages from a old book.

wow- it dries and quickly. as it begins to fade, it smells of mint and paper. not unpleasant, but not necessarily something i want to smell like.

update- this one just gets a little weirder. it had faded to almost nothing then came back suddenly... smeling like, of all things, violets and a dust mote filled sunbeam. definately not an everyday scent.

i bow to the genius who was able to capture the smell of a silent, dry, dusty, forgotten room with a sunbeam streaming through the window with dustmotes sparkling in the sunbeam.

Edited by angelblue

This does smell similar to Veil except I smell some woodsy notes in the background.

Angelblue described it perfectly in her second paragraph.

I like this. It does indeed seem like a meditational blend.

It's a light scent, but it's certainly not the lightest I've seen.

I smelled rose initially. I would've sworn there was rose in this, but now I smell violet, sandalwood, a bit of an herby, lavender-y scent and the dust of wood underneath.

It seems like it has qualities somewhat similar to SaintGermain.

Initial Sniff: The almost cedar-y smell of white sandalwood... and maybe an herb or two.

Wearing: This sandalwood is dry and dusty, and only gets more so as it wears. I don't smell anything but sandalwood in any stage of this scent.

Final Impressions: Normally I love sandalwood, but this one (like Rakshasa) just doesn't do right on me. :P

Shroud:

Wet: just a very strong "perfume" smell.

Drydown: Sweetens up to a white flower smell. Definitely very dry, the sandalwood is starting to peek through.

Longterm wear: White florals tend to turn into a very soapy, castille-like scent on my skin. Shroud, unfortunately, was no different. Off to the swaps pile!

Shroud is subdued and warm -- not a tattered wrapping, but a secure swaddling for the dearly departed. It's a light woody herbal, soothing and understated.

Wet: very cedary (sandlewood?)

Drying: nearly disappears for a full minute

Dry: returns briefly as a white floral

about 5 minutes later: a slightly soapy white floral, very clean smelling at first but picking up more of a sandlewood scent as it wears

In the bottle: Smooth and woody, but with a slight bitterness. Kind of an anise-y smell, though I know it's not anise. Maybe it's just the sandalwood, but I smell cedar, too.

Wearing: Um, OK. Call me crazy, but...frankincense?! I swear there's frankincense in this--sandalwood isn't this dry and resinous and doesn't pop out so much on my skin. So...basically what I've got here is a much woodier, sweeter Anne Bonny.

Later: OK, frankincense smell has died down a little. I'm getting something herbal and a little sharp to my nose, but pleasantly so. There is a little greenness to this scent, a subtle greenness. And something that makes me sneeze.

Overall: Well. Frankincense is always so darn prominent on me. But it smells lovely. This blend is a good woody scent for me, so I think I'll go ahead and keep it.

Edit: Oddly, the second time I tried this it smelled completely different from this original review. I didn't get any frankincense. This time it was just plain nature-smelling--grass, wood from fallen trees, and little wild flowers--with something that gives it a very bitter overtone. These are the first flowers I've smelled in a blend that actually smell natural and understated, like a real flower. I enjoyed this blend much, much more this time around.

Edited by voodoobaby

Shroud was lovely sandalwood and white flowers at first. Within 5 minutes I got the same dill pickle smell I got with Seance. They don’t have any ingredients in common. I’m truly mystified.

shroud is PERFECTLY named. a shroud in a marble crypt. the shroud is new, but the marble crypt is old, and dry, and spare. weak sunlight shines through a barred window, motes of dust shining in the small ray of light that hits the marble and warms it slightly, bringing with it a scent of newly growing things. a small bouquet of dried green herbs has been left as an offering....

in the bottle: very dry, sandalwood is prominent, but there is just the faintest hint of something .... other.

on the wrist, wet: still very dry, lots of sandalwood. warmer, and the hint of green is stronger.

dry down: everything blends. perfectly. it is still reminiscent of mostly sandalwood, but it is cleansing and centers me.

this is a lovely, well blended, light scent that i liked very much. i will probably get a bigger bottle of this.

Sandalwood is probably my favorite scent in the world, but in BPAL I'm not a big fan of it. Something is in Shroud that was also in Cathedral and Tushnamatay that turns flat and dull on me; instead of exotic or spiritual it smells repressive, like an old house that really needs to be cleaned and opened up. I can't wear this without feeling depressed but it makes a decent room scent.

Lots of sandalwood, sweet, dry and faintly herbal and powdery. This was lovely and light and delicate, very befitting its name, but white sandalwood tends to be sweeter than I really like on me and so this one isn't really me. Off to swaps.

Sandalwood and white flowers.

Dry some white roses come out, with a green bottom line, even a citrusy bit.

A light and special perfume.

Woody notes tend to dominate on me, and white sandalwood smells sharp on my skin, so it's no surprise that the wet stage is dominated by a sharp sandalwood note. Light, delicate florals emerge during drydown, but are eventually supplanted by herbs undercut by the return of the sandalwood note (though it's not as sharp as before). An interesting scent, but it does not really suit me.

Sandalwood, I've discovered, isn't my most favorite note in the world; I tend to find it too thin and sharp. The wood in this, however, combines quite well with the grasses and flowers, which sweeten it, and the embalming herbs (or maybe the cajeput, not familiar with that one), which deepen it. As it dries, a subtle spice emerges and the sharpness lessens, making Shroud turn somewhat incense-like.

Overall, this becomes a contemplative blend. It's mellow, but not entirely relaxed. If you're a fan of sandalwood, you should definitely try this. As for me, I won't get a bottle, but I'll use my imp.

Another wonderful concept beautifully executed.

shroud.jpg

This is a scent I have a difficult time processing. It isn't floral, it has an "attractive plastic" scent in the background (oddly enough there is such a thing) and I cannot identify the rest of this one. It just baffles me. It doesn't turn bad on my skin, I don't dislike any of its essences, I just feel lost when I try to describe it...I can't even decide whether I like it a lot or a little or what! It's a nice scent, it's just an amazingly confusing scent that you can't pin down mentally. Perhaps that works for you if you like to be tantalized.

The icon is the Shroud of Turin.

Edited by olympia301

Wet in the imp: dry woods

Wet on me: dry wood fades to the background, light florals become the foreground, kind of perfume-y though.

Drying: similar, but a resiny, powdery base is starting to develop, probably the incense notes. Something floral and overly-perfume still lives on top though.

Dry: powdery, resin, a hint of floral and dry wood. Nice but... not on me.

Shroud passes through many different realms on my skin before it finally goes all soapy and what is doing this - to my nose - is the combined presence of (I think) rose and lilly notes.

At first Shroud is lovely & gentle - dry, musty, cedar and sandalwoody. Softly Powdery too. But then the dry rose comes out, and with it an image of an old bouquet of roses comes to mind but somehow I am also detecting notes of greeness under it, as if the roses all of a sudden reanimated and came back to life! yikes.

All these dusty filmy murky musty impressions come to me within a few minutes of first applying Shroud....the name does affect my impression. I definitely see and smell the dryness of old linen and ancient wood....

Comapared to the sadalwood notes in Tushnamatay (which is lovely on me) Shroud's wood notes move around dragging the roses behind it all the way from here to eternity....:P

Interesting because it is so very evocative - but not something I would wear.

very dry, woody, very light herbs, but not fresh herbs definitely dried and brittle. the floral stays hidden, lingering lightly in the background not really becoming prominent, just being a support to the dried herbal goodness.

A frimp. :P

Imp: Smells woodsy. Sandalwood.

On me: Very light herb plus sandalwood.

Verdict: I have no idea what to think of this. A keeper, but I'm not sure it'd be a bottle.

In the Bottle: Something incensey. Must be the sandalwood.

On Skin: I can smell something like crush flower stalks, its very green. I can smell some of the sandalwood.

On Drydown: Still has that crushed green smell but its a bit gentler now. I inhale deep and there is something very calming about it. A gentle repose.

Verdict: This is an interesting scent but not for me. Off to swap it goes.

In the Vial, its very dry earthy, almost liky watching a funeral from behind a tree with a wispy veil over your face.

Wet it smells like........pickles.

I smell like pickles.

When it starts to dry, the pickles fade and it becomes a nice, soft, somber scent. I like it

Shroud is pale woods on my skin with a sprinkle of the grassy herbs I love in The Lion. There is something final and closed about this blend that makes it aptly-named, yet it is so light a scent that it hovers with finality---a veil over something rather than a closed door.

Shroud makes me a little bit sad when I wear it, it's very sobering.

In the bottle: Dirt. That's it. Just dirt.

First on: I smell the sandalwood layered with some sort of greenry, but the herb smell is sort of coming out. As long as it stays put, I'll like this one.

Drydown: It stayed mostly the same, but now I'm not sure if it really jumps out at me. I definitely like it, but I don't wear earthy scents often, so it might go unworn. I'll keep it for a while to make sure, but the grass and the dirt scents really blend together greatly, like you're laying on the ground and smell the wet grass soil.