Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

In The Bottle Very green (like grass or foliage) and chocolate. WEIRD.

Wet On Mostly chocolate now, with a hint of floral and some green thrown in for good measure.

Dry It smells a lot like Vixen actually. Must be the orange blossoms. I really can't smell the cherry at ALL. I'm sad that it doesn't smell more chocolatey on me. It just smells like Vixen's older, less sexy, deeper chocolatey sister. I was hoping it'd smell like chocolate and cherry. Hmmm. I'll use the imp, but I don't think it's bottle worthy. I think I'll have to find a different chocolate scent.

Edited by Shollin

Wet: Yum! Smooth vanilla-sweet chocolate w/ a hint of fruitiness.

Dry: Sweet fruit coming out and chocolate is mellowing - chocolate covered cherries.

Final: Tasty! It had me craving a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar or a box of cherry cordials. Not for everyday use, though, because that would be bad for my diet.

In my Imp all I could smell was cherry. It was overpowering and not good...but then....oh wait.....on my skin it is soft, delicious cocoa heaven! Yum!!! Subtle chocolate berry goodness with what appears to be a vanilla base. Not childlike at all and very wearable! It just goes to show you, you can't judge an imp on first sniff!

This is gorgeous. It's like those chocolate oranges (orange flavored chocolate in the shape of... an orange), but deeper, fruitier (must be the cherry backing up the orange), and better smelling. Mmmm. Definitely sweet, and I like sweet, so it's wonderful.

Vice reminds me of Smarties. The candy coated chocolate variety. There's floral, sorta, but to me.. Smarties. :D I can smell the orange blossom as it dries down.

A pretty neat scent. :P

It's one of those chocolate oranges bottled! Argh! The cherry subscent is just... too strong. I can't even smell the chocolate over the orange and cherry! Drat. I love orange, but the cherry kills me. :P

Imp: alcoholic...sweet

Skin: GAH! Alcohol...like Godiva Chocolate Liquer (which isnt sbad...just strong!)

Drydown: omg..this is good...its changed from the liquor..none at all now...to the smell of the sparkling body powder in french vanille i used to use before Id go gaming. So..pleasant & painful memories...but not too bad.

Edited by Love's Requiem

Vice smells exactly like a Jaffa Cake, one of my favorite types of cookies that my grandmother always sends me from Europe. As that cute little Wikipedia article says, they're spongy with orange jam and a layer of chocolate.

Many BPALs have vividly reminded me of places and things, but man, this is dead on.

I assume the orange blossom is what smells like the jam, but maybe the black cherry is part of the overall fruity jam-ness. Either way, I can't pick it out specifically. The chocolate is dark and delicious. I want to eat my wrist!

This is lovely to have on hand (thank you, lab, for the frimp!!) when I get a orangey chocolatey craving and have no Jaffa Cakes to tide me over, but it's not something I'd personally want to smell like to others. It's beautiful for what it is - I'm just more of a floral kind of girl. :P

imp: oranges, and chocolate just behind it, but it reminds me of grand marnier chocolate torte.

wet: strongly boozy. really amps up the grand marnier association. and... something else there too, again with the foody smells. oh that's the cherries! I smell like a dessert.

after 20 minutes: this is so simple yet nice that I forgot to check it again after 20 minutes.

later: waaay later. faded down, soft and nice and not so boozy any more. this might be a good choice for layering with something else.

it's pretty, but uncomplicated. I think that I prefer complex scents, and that while the food scents smell nice, they're not a good fit for me.

Fresh From The Imp: Bittersweet chocolate, almost unsweetened.

Wet On My Flesh: There's a little more of the fruit now, with just a bare hint of the chocolate.

Drying Down: Oranges & cherries. I can't really get the chocolate now.

Hour To Integrate: Sort of plastic-like, in a fruity way.

End Of Day/Final Report: Definitely not keeping. Buh-bye.

Between Vice and Gluttony, I'm kind of suspecting that despite my adoration of food scents and chocolate in general, chocolate notes have some sort of conspiracy against me.

In the imp, Vice smelled overwhelmingly of cherry-flavored cough syrup. And not even the semi-decent kind, either - we're talking Robitussin here. But, having had serious morphing experiences before, I gamely tried it on.

The Robitussin faded very quickly, but what it left behind wasn't a whole lot better. For about an hour, my wrist smelled headache-inducingly sweet, like standing next to a really strongly scented flowershop on a day so hot that any scent at all is absolutely nauseating. It was an absolute miasma of thick, heavy orange blossom. And then, when the orange blossom quit clouding up like hot fog, I was left with...My Little Ponies. The dusty, sweetish smell of scented plastic Ponies. Which was neat, in a nostalgic sort of way, but not really a perfume sort of scent - and even if it was, the initial floral makes it not worth it.

This imp has already been passed on (along with the treacherous Gluttony) to a friend, who, to my utter jealousy, smells like a walking chocolate bar in both of them. Life isn't fair, I tell you.

I had high hopes for this one. Alas! In the imp, it was the same cocoa note as Freak Show, which I love. But when I applied it, the cocoa disappeared, and in its place was a very bitter, medicinal fruit smell. Eventually, the cocoa re-emerged, sort of, but the bitterness gave it such a sour note that I couldn't stand it. Off to swap.

In the vial: Bitter chocolate with orange. Promising.

Wet: Very citrus smelling, not really getting the chocolate.

Dry: Theres the chocolate but Im not liking it at all. The orange and chocolate are smelling kind of generic and medicinal.

30 mins later: Smells like this doll I had when I was little, where the hair smelled like orange blossoms. Good memories, but I didnt really like the smell then and I dont think I do now either.

Hour later: Wow, this stuff has enormous throw on me. Out of all the scents ive tried on various parts of my arm, this is the one that is wafting up. It's to bad Im not liking it at all.

Closing thoughts: Its a shame, this oil had promise in the bottle. I really couldnt see myself wearing this anywhere. But I think my chemistry hates chocolate, since I also disliked Bliss on my skin. Maybe Ill try to make a room scent?

Update: I have tried to wash this stuff off but I am having no luck. Ive washed my wrists with 3 different hand soaps, used my strong body wash, used dish soap...nothing. Just took another quick bath in some strong oils and scrubbed my wrist mercilously and figured that would do the trick. But no, its still there. Gah. Now thats some staying power...

Edited by Jenn

Over the last 10 years, I've gradually drifted away from very foody scents. And normally I don't do orange blossom. I think my brain reads "orange" and I think, "oh yay! citrus!" But of course, it is not; it's floral. Somehow, this lovely dark, bittersweet chocolate and orange blossom combine into something that sends me into a sybaritic scent orgasm. I LOVE IT. A good friend commented the other day that some alcohols and liquers are like BPAL for the tongue. Well, this is like a cordial for the nose :-)

One of my new favorites. :P

In the vial:

Sugary sweet orange blossom

On me:

It's so funny how body chemistry can totally change the way a scent behaves on us - most people here seem to be getting chocolate right off the bat, and for me it was the orange blossom. The minute I put it on my skin, it was sickly sweet orange blossom - orange like but also floral and perfumey. It was almost TOO sweet for me, it was kind of overwhelming. Luckily though, that stage only lasted a minute and it softened up a bit.

Not to say that it isn't still sweet, it certainly IS! But I don't find this to be sweet in a candy-ish way. That is to say that I would liken it to very sweet fruit rather than cotton candy, if that makes sense.

I do smell cocoa, but it's not a rich chocolate or a milk chocolate like in Bliss. It's a dry, light dusting of cocoa powder over bountiful, heady orange blossom. I do smell the cherry but it's very light and very much in the background of all that orange.

Final note:

This is sweet and playful, and ends up being rather light. It smells less like a chocolate orange to me than it does like orange blossom dusted in cocoa powder. Sweet but not candy-ish

bottle:

chocolate… mocha…. A llittle like a coffe shop but definitely chocolate!

wet:

chocolate cake batter, and cherries. (like my grandma's choc. cherry cake…

dry:

am I going to be hungry all day now? Ooo there's some orange peeking out. The sweetness has died off. Smells divine!!! Shucks disappears fast…

overall:

oh yeah. I'll be wearing this when I pms!

rating: 8/10

Edited by HennaFairy

In the imp, I got chocolate orange...

It was very very sweet, and I found myself wondering if I was going to like this or not!

On the skin, woah...hello chocolate!

There's a LITTLE bit of orange under this, and a LITTLE bit of cherry as well..

But I smell mostly the chocolate...it's strong, but I like it.

As it dried, the oranges and the cherry came out a lot more, kind of stomping out the chocolate...which made me sad...the chocolate was still THERE, but not as prominant.

I still like it though, and I think that I should have this in a 5ml.

Throw: 4/5

Lasting power: 2/5

Overall: 3/5

Bottle: WHOO! <--- what I said when I sniffed it. Smells like...almondy chocolate with a hint of orange! OOO! OOO! I KNOW! I KNOW! It's modified Terry's Chocolate Orange! :D YES! I GOT IT! I'm gonna strike it rich!!!!

Wet: Whooooa....REALLY smells like Terry's Chocolate orange now. Scent to be worn in small doses. Also has a sweetness. Probably the cherry. I eat my wrist now. K? K.

Dry: Chocolate went bye bye o.o; Now it's just...orange and cherry. But still nice! :P I like this. I gonna eat myself.

The chocolate is totally smothered by the sickening smell of cherry cough syrup. Nasty. I can't really smell the orange blossom at all. Note to self: no cherries! Velvet is the way to go for a pure chocolate scent.

Vice - I normally hate foody scents. I don't know what happened, but apparently I had a moment of shopping-giddy insanity and purchased a 5 ml bottle of Vice without ever smelling the stuff. After I thought about it (after the order was placed) I realized I'm a fool. Not only do I dislike foody scents, but I hate chocolate scents with a passion. I was positive I was going to be selling/swapping my bottle and/or imping it out.

Well, my Vice arrived, and all I have to say is -- daaaang, I can't believe all the negative reviews of this yummilicious scent! Wet, it has a very chocolate scent, but not the scent of cakey-chocolate (i.e., chocolate cake, brownie, chocolate cookies, etc.) but pure, rich, deep, dark, bitter-sweet chocolate with the tiniest hint of hazelnut -- like Nutella! Add the cherry to it (and I normally dislike BPAL cherry) and it's simply gorgeous. Upon dry-down, the chocolate moves into the background and a blend of orange blossom and cherry move into center stage, and I'm left with a truly stunning and creamy chocolate-cherry-floral blend that makes my knees wobbly. It's beautiful. It's yummy. It makes me want to sit around and lick my wrists. All that and it lasts a good 12 hours on my skin -- a first for a BPAL scent on me! I'm keeping this bottle!

TIP: Blended with Pink Phoenix, you're never going to be able to function again, because your nose will be permanently attached to your wrist. It is the most incredibly yummilicious BPAL layering combo I've discovered yet.

Soooo yummy. Chocolate-covered cherries -- more specifically, DARK chocolate-covered cherries. There's also a hint of a floral -- the orange blossoms -- to soften the bitingly sweetness. It's very strong at first, but it tones down after I've been wearing it for a while. And wow, can I wear it for a while. I applied before leaving the house this morning (around 7 a.m.), and it's after 3 p.m. now, and I can still smell it. It's so very pretty, and I thank dpoulsen21 for sending it to me. :P

Vice

Mmm delicious! I was a little hesitant because neither orange nor orange blossom use to work on me and my luck with BPAL's chocolate has been so-so. Also, I don't like the chocolate-orange combo much even in candy. But I do love really dark and strong and boozy Italian chocolate ice cream with orange liquor in it, and Vice is more like that than like those orange milk chocolates I find rather dull.

The chocolate in Vice is a warm, dry, sweet, powdery, dark cocoa. The orange is mostly a sharp, fresh, almost boozy edge to it. Not like fresh oranges or orange flavouring, more like orange liquor or some kind of orange syrup. I don't really get any cherry, but it might be there as a dark sweetness in the background, adding extra depth and warmth. There's like a woody note, mahogany-style, lurking beneath the surface which I think is really a combination of the dry powderiness and the warm sweetness.

Overall it's a real treat, a dark, adult, slightly bitter treat like all the best ones! No plasticky milk chocolate with plasticky orange flavour as was my worst fear. No chocolate-covered cherries either as I hoped, but I don't mind.

From the GC Circle Swap.

Vice -- In the bottle: I feel my blood sugar rising just smelling this. *is dubious*

On me: At first, I smell exactly like a chocolate-cherry cake soaked in orange blossom water. This has given me culinary inspiration, but I don't want to smell like it. As it dries, it goes through a lovely-but-sharp pure orange blossom phase, then mellows to a beautiful sweet warm orange blossom. The chocolate and cherry remain to give it depth and sweetness but are identifiable only if you really focus. This isn't at all what I'd expected, and very much the sort of scent I like.

Oh my. Sniffing the Lab's chocolate scents makes me incredibly thankful that 13 works so well on me. Vice was a disastrous experiment.

It is not every day that I recoil from the smell of chocolate, but that's exactly what happened when I sniffed Vice for the first time.

I put it on anyway, hoping that it would be a miraculous morpher, but the chocolate stayed dry and bitter and the cherry just made it cloying.

It was a pretty bad scene.