Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

Oooh, my turn!

Hmm, I don't really know where to start. ^^: I guess like so many others, I am new here. I found a link to this place on WoWInsider and spent several hours looking around. After much debate and lurking in the recommendations forums, I picked my first six imps. I got them a week or so ago and love all of them. So I am preparing a list of six more to try.

Well, I'm 28, but I don't feel it. I always say age is only a number, it's how you feel on the inside that counts. ^_^ I love going places. It really doesn't even matter where, I just like to be -out-! I love singing and dancing, even though I can't and I only do so at home when I'm alone. I'm a really shy person when it comes to meeting new people or being in large groups. A lot of times, I feel like I am awkward in social situations simply because I don't really have much in common with most people. I just don't know what to say to break the ice I guess. *hides*

I have a degree in time based media, which is animation, video, web design, etc... But I actually do freelance illustration when I discovered that I just don't have the patience it takes to animate, though I do love modeling and rigging for 3d stuff. So a lot of my time is spent sketching, drawing and coloring images.

Besides drawing, I love to read! My mom always said I lived in a fantasy world and that's very true. I try to get away from the "real world" as much as possible because it's always, well... bad. O_o I hate being in serious or hard situations and can't really deal with them well, so any way to escape, I take it. Which leads me to my other big hobby, which is gaming. I loooove video games and am very much addicted to World of Warcraft (it was through that news site that I found BPAL!). I love fantasy, I love dragons, I love magic and above all, I love to immerse myself in that world and pretend I am my character, battling monsters, doing quests, and all that good stuff. Nothing beats casting a giant fire ball and watching critters explode in a brilliant, fiery death! ^_~

...Yep, I am a total nerd, oh wells!

Hmm... Let's see... I tend to be a pretty decent person, or at least I try. Sometimes I am impatient and can have a nasty temper, but all in all, I -try- to get along with everyone. I'm hyper at times, I love to laugh. I am easily entertained and will laugh at even the cheesiest jokes and have been known to slip in my own clever jokes here and there when I am feeling especially witty. Err, that doesn't happen all to often though!

I hate sports, was always picked last in gym class, grr! But I like sewing, crafts, sculpting, painting... Stuff to keep my hands busy while I watch movies, cuz I love allll movies! My favorite color changes from day to day, week to week... whatever, to fit my mood. It's usually purple though. On days I'm feeling not so good, I like black, red, silver. On days I'm feeling really happy and hyper, it's yellows and greens. I love the sun and hot summer days, tropical things, coconuts and palm trees. In fact, I feel like I'm sometimes half plant and just feed on the sun's warmth, and whither and get sad when it's cloudy or cold for too long. Physically, I am kinda short, just a little over 5 feet. Prolly a little overweight cuz I fail so much at sticking to diets. *shakes fist at those darn video games and ice cream* I have brown hair and brown eyes, but I like to experiment with hair colors, so it can sometimes be lighter or darker with hints of red or plum.

I guess the last important thing is a recent discovery... I sort of have a habit of falling in love a lot and then get my heart broken because of it. I fall too hard, too fast and then when it doesn't go well, I get very sad and depressed. I can go through weeks of just crying and being sad, then suddenly bounce back for awhile, only to have something random remind me of it all over again. It's very strange. And no, don't worry, I know to go get help if I need it! I dunno, is there a scent that has a lost love, but kinda sad but kinda hopeful smell to it? If so, that would be mine! I guess I just love love, but not the end of it. Hmm.

Oh, of the six imps I got, I like Dragon's Milk the best, Elegba the second best I think, or maybe tied with Obatala. Such a hard choice... O_o

Okay okay, recommend away! I NEEEEED to buy moar!

Virusq-

You might want to try Anne Bonney (Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense) or Mary Read (Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder), since you like pirates and cosplay and seem to have an interest in non-floral-based scents.

Virusq-

You might want to try Anne Bonney (Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense) or Mary Read (Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder), since you like pirates and cosplay and seem to have an interest in non-floral-based scents.

Mary Read keeps going on and off my wishlist. I think I'll keep an eye out for both, though. Thank you. :)

Can someone make a suggestion for me?

Small, bi-masculine oriented male, cute tendencies, Small, quirky, geeky, horror enthusiast, tea connoisseur, manga otaku. I'm very high energy, and I love all things spooky, and at the same time I also adore cute, high energy things. Retro cartoons, anime, 80's pop. A lot of people refer to me as "Perky Goth."

Not sure if thats anything worth going by. But I guess I'm looking for sweet scents, but ones that lean more towards masculine?

Edited by ChipNoir

Protoomega-

Maybe Miskatonic University? Reviews suggest it smells like Irish coffee in an old library.

Funny you should mention that-I have some Misk U. that I use for a room scent-on me it turns to burnt coffee. mecry.gif

So what would ya'll pick for me? I'm currently a director of a child care facility, who also teaches the four year olds. I have a hard time sticking up for myself, even when I realize I'm being taken advantage of. I give people the benefit of the doubt. You're a good person until proven otherwise. And if I like you, I tend to ignore the negatives about you. I have a sweet tooth (love desserts!). I love celtic music and hearing it live (not so keen on pure traditional, but, it has it's moments). I can be friendly and outgoing if I pretend I'm someone else or if it "doesn't matter" what others think because I'll never see them again. I'm much more conservative/quiet with people I know, even slightly. Love fantasty/sci fi. My head's usually in the clouds. I'll come up with the crazy idea, but others have to figure out how to make it work/do it.

Notewise, only honey, and rose are usually vile on me, and I'm not too keen on pimeapple, jasmine or coconut.

I should give you something more RAWR to balance out your sweet demureness, but I can't help it, I feel like sweet demureness would suit you. I want to say:

Good (from the new RPG line) - Shimmering celestial musk with vanilla, white honey, acacia, and sugar cane. I can hear you fearing the honey from here... DON'T FEAR THE HONEY! Most of the Lab's honey and roses are really vile on me as well, but this one was incredibly different. A lot of people are trying these right now and will be peddling their unloved imps, so I wouldn't suggest it if it weren't easy to get ahold of. :D This scent is mildly sweet in an almost-foody-but-not type way. It's like it rides the line between foody and floral, but is just generally calm and lovely. As an added bonus, it's sort of fantasy themed? Heehee!

we are trying for a family - i really could use some fertility magic.

i change my hair fairly often and had everything from blonde to pink to black, super short, very long.

I am outspoken, spontaneous, excitable, enthusiastic, loving, caring and huggy, sometimes pottymouthed.

i used to be fun and rather loud, but now in canada i am a rather quiet observer and i feel boring.

i am worried to be perceived as rude because of being "too german".

i am not homesick but i miss my best friend and my girl-friends and their spontaneous visits.

i can be quite obsessive and when i am interested in something i can spend forever on research - i tend to deep dive.

i love industrial, wave, electronic, punk and german fun punk. i also listen to classical, I currently love Muse.

I enjoy swimming, sewing, gardening, make up, cooking and i have the feeling i might fall for BPAL.

our house is still under renovation and we do everything ourselves.

I started out as a print graphic designer, then web designer, then web developer, then PHP programmer (self-taught), then user experience designer and now i'm an information architect in a very cool advertising agency. i work mostly on facebook apps for budweiser, honda, wonderbread and johnson & johnson which is the most exciting job i had so far and that gives me a great sense of accomplishment. i am very proud of my career. the scent must work in a professional setting.

I want to say Kali for you:

Kali, the Black One, is the fearless Goddess of Destruction, Creation, Energy [in her Shakti aspect] and Dissolution. Also named Kaliratri [black Night] and Kalikamata [black Earth-Mother], she is the fiercest aspect of Devi, the supreme mother goddess. Kali is a protector Goddess, the destroyer of evil spirits and guardian of the faithful. She, along with her consort Shiva, represent the unending cycle of death and birth, sexual union, creation and destruction. Kali annihilates ignorance, maintains the natural order of the world, and blesses those who strive for spiritual awareness and knowledge of true holiness with infinite tenderness and motherly love. The constant, unending Work of Creation is called the "The Play of Kali". This perfume is a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey.

You are busy, capable of multiple things, creating and doing new things all the time. I feel like she represents all the busy-ness without being corporate or nerdy (not that there's anything wrong with nerdy!), and also has the mother aspect for your fertility pursuits. Most people who've tried it think it's a very powerful and feminine scent at the same time. If I recall correctly, that is. I know I love it. :)

I'm 22, a Political Science major with a minor in Art. I've been described as a problem solver because I'm capable of both compromising and "waging war" as the situation calls for it. I'm often the one people go to when mediation is required. This is going to sound so pretentious, but I really do value intelligence and wit in the people around me. I utilize a lot of sarcasm and self-depreciating humor, but I have zero tolerance for being insulted by some one else. I also have a long memory and can be just a teeny weensy bit vindictive when I've been wronged. That said I much prefer to have a healthy network of connections, and thus will bend over backwards to accommodate others. Close friends have described my demeanor as "sexual, but not intimate" which I can kind of agree with, and I'm most comfortable in rural, woodsy settings.

I'm not too fond of overly flowery tones, preferring darker or fiery scents. I do best with musky, bold, and some citrus fragrances. I'm leery of cinnamon because it can smell foody or holidayish, but I was thinking of trying Chimera for my multi-tonal personality. Aelopile also seems like a good bet for me. In all, I'm really looking for a scent that people will come to attribute to me, so the more distinctive the better.

Eris comes to mind: Goddess of Strife and Discord, constant companion and sometime consort to Ares. She is a fickle, chaotic Goddess of Bedlam whose greatest passion is the sowing of dissention and turmoil. A suitably disjointed scent, bursting with gleeful mayhem: wet fruits and sharp mimosa with Martial spices and a deceptive flash of floral.

A friend of mine who is delightfully sarcastic and bitingly witty, no-nonsense and takes no crap from people, said she felt like this scent described her but in a way she didn't like. :rofl: I have an imp of it and I felt like it was lovely on me, nothing sinister. I think it's worth a try for you maybe?

My life revolves around animals - and not just at home. I also work with animals for a living. I've spent countless hours devoted to hoofed mammals, but right now I am dedicated to a canine sport called Mondioring. It combines bitework, obedience, and jumping exercises into one sport.

I suppose that's a good representation of my personality: while I can exhibit exquisite control and calmness, I'm rather feral under the surface.

Most people enjoy my company but walk away having some trouble truly grasping exactly who I am. I'm not intentionally deceptive. Well, not usually.

I write (fiction, usually fantasy, drawing heavily on demonology), draw, and spend a lot of my spare time with my dogs.

I tend to stay away from overly floral/fruity/soft scents. I think my personality is a little too heavy for that sort of thing. I'm not overbearing. Just...strong. :)

Ok, Miss Lupescu was suggested for someone else earlier, but I'm really feeling it for you.

Animalic musk, with amber, patchouli, ho wood, cypress, almond blossom, golden sandalwood, and strange spices.

Ok, that's not everybody yet but I'll have to wait and post again later. This is getting huge. :rofl:

Oof, I'm really interested in this but I am so bad at describing myself. ^_^;;

Let's see... positively I've often been described as quirky, caring, intelligent, cute and creative. Negatively I have been described as stand-offish, manipulative, self-centered, over-emotional/overly sensitive, rude. I would describe myself as open, outgoing yet self-conscious, good sense of humor (I quite enjoy quick wit, sarcasm and dry humor), friendly yet cynical. A lot of contradictions, it seems. Haha. I'm quite nearly a stereotypical Libra, and if I were a Harry Potter character I would be a Slytherin or a Ravenclaw.

I'm a big ol' geek who is currently very into Doctor Who, Firefly, Misfits, Glee, and anything created by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls). I love Harry Potter and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I love horror novels and psychological horror/thriller films. Currently I am reading American Psycho, which is also one of my favorite films. I have very morbid sensibilities that clash oddly yet often magnificently with my rather cute side...

I am 22 years old and graduating in a week (!!!) with a BA in Communication Arts (emphasis on TV/Film/Radio) and a certificate in East Asian studies. I have a strong interest in Asian culture. I used to be a big anime geek in middle school but grew out of it after a few years. I still enjoy some anime such as Miyazaki films and Satoshi Kon. I love slightly disturbing Asian films like Battle Royale and OldBoy.

Random stuff: I'm rather sexually open but not highly sexual. I have depression, anxiety and mild OCD as well as major self-esteem issues that all definitely have an effect on my personality at times. I'm very fickle and indecisive and as a result have broken many hearts and also my own. This also makes it difficult for me to make any decisions on my future regarding career, location and the like.

Okay I've probably talked about myself enough! I wrote more than I thought I could but sometimes I don't feel like I'm the best judge of myself. Hopefully it's accurate. Weird how I should be the one to know myself best but I am unsure if what I'm writing is right *shrug*.

Edited by necromanticize

filigree_shadow: you know, oddly enough i wasn't in love with Titania at first but now it's all I want to wear. Good suggestion.. :)

Perfumes jumped into my head when I was reading all these, but I'll just respond to the last one.

KidMemphis: Try Salome. (Exotic and lush, brimming with grace and viciousness: almond with star jasmine, oakmoss, red sandalwood and Egyptian musk.) It's jasmine with a little bit of slink to it, and I think you might like it. Also, have a look at Spellbound (three roses, amber, and red musk.). Sexy floral, for sure.

But those recommendations are based on the notes you said you like, not the impression I got when I read what you wrote. When I was reading what you wrote, I was thinking Tezcatlipoca. I don't know why. It probably smells like no perfume you've ever tried before, and you said you don't like trying new things. But that's really what I was thinking.

And, okay, I can't resist saying this. JasminDreams, I was already thinking Titania even before I got to the part where you like feminine scents. I mean, I was really thinking Titania. Then I saw that you recommended it to someone else, so you must have tried it already. So I'm suggesting Kitsune-Tsuki. :)

ETA: Okay, one more. I'm having trouble keeping my mouth shut. :blush: mymymai: Bathsheba.

I stumbled on this thread a few days ago and, although I've just put in my first order for a handful of imps, I'm feeling a little vain and still curious about what anyone here might recommend for me--maybe things I never would have considered for myself? I'm also actually really bad about describing my own personality. But here we go:

I'm female, recently turned 29 years old, and a librarian--public library work, mostly, but I've done a couple of stints in university libraries. I think I just come across as kind of...out of left field? I don't want to just say, "Ha ha, I'm really weird!" but... Well, here's a list of things I like: strange ideas, weird books (like the Voynich Manuscript), experimental literature, Modernism and Postmodernism, Surrealism, paper ephemera, Asian horror films, "ugly things" of all kinds, tribal-style bellydance, abandoned tobacco barns, Japanese popular culture and subcultures, classic Gothic novels, Spaghetti Westerns, Steampunk, hyperreality, music with very heavy beats, trivia and esoterica, maybe even research and scholastic...stuff. It's all brain stuff that gives me some nice emotional feedback. I used to write a bit and carry on with a little art. I'm better at planning and ideas than at execution. I like to think of myself as imaginative and I'm too fond of my weird dreams. I also like to flatter myself by thinking I'm witty or quick, fast with a pun or a reference or a connection, and kind of intellectual (I like to read James Joyce and Thomas Pynchon for fun). I might be--I've been told I am, but I kind of think I just retain a lot of details and trivia (I'm a little bit likes Mycroft Holmes sometimes). I'm not quick to call myself a geek, but I guess I really sort of am, given some of the things I know and love (speculative fiction, graphic novels, anime, manga). Though I try to keep all of this pretty much under wraps and behave like a with-it adult--so I tend towards being kind of quiet and maybe a little stoic. I'm not always good at sharing this daydream + bookworm stuff. Ideally, I think I come across as just "intelligent" or "creative," which does fine for me.

But...I'm also inclined towards stubbornness, melancholy, isolation, worry, cynicism, sarcasm, and a little "belligerence" (to quote a friend). I think I'm actually lacking underneath it all somehow and I use a lot of imagination to sustain myself and a lot of sharp or harsh responses to defend myself and the bizarre objects of my bizarre affection. And I'm lazy. I can be so lazy sometimes it amazes even me. (Did I mention I'm a Taurus? Okay. There you go.)

I'm not what anyone would call "pretty" by any stretch of the imagination. I'm kind of too tall, too gangly, too skinny, too boyish, too bespectacled, and too old to be anything near on to "pretty." So I tend to shy away from anything that's overtly feminine or, well, just pretty (scents included) and head towards things that are, while not necessarily overtly male or masculine, still a bit boyish. (If you saw the list of the imps I just ordered, you'd see what I mean.) I feel like I shouldn't or can't do otherwise--it would be like a mule wearing pearls. I also identify as asexual, so I try to avoid anything that seems noticeably sexual or sensual because I don't think it's right for me to present that kind of image when it would be misleading or misinterpreted. Complicated... (But I am willing to hear otherwise in a recommendation--just giving fair warning here.)

Although, the bizarre curve-ball exception to that is that I'm also a follower of Japanese Lolita fashion (if you know the lingo, I tend towards Classical and Gothic styles mostly, along with a little Aristocrat along the way). I'm still not pretty, but I'd like to think I can wear the style successfully enough (again, imagination + intellectual project).

Intellectual dreamer seeks scent recommendations to match this pile of things often referred to as a personality.

Any thoughts--?

icarus suraki:

For you, I'd suggest Zombi for the non-girly scent AND for the pleasure of telling people you're wearing a perfume called Zombi. Additionally you should check out Dorian. It's a bit sweet, but has a nice masculine sweetness that would surprise you. Plus, the gothic literary reference would just be a bonus!

Icarus Suraki-

Maybe Schrodinger's Cat or How Doth The Little Crocodile if you like scents that are a bit foody without going into bakery territory? I'd call them both lighthearted scents, which might not go with your usual persona, but they didn't strike me as particularly feminine or sultry (Schrodinger's does have a bit of floral in it but it's mostly citrus), and they're both named after scientific or literary references.

lamenteuse, Floria--thank you both! These all sound excellent. Dorian has been turning up on my "maybe, maybe not" list for a little while and I think I should take a second look at Schrodinger's Cat (yes, I did just do that) if for nothing more than the name. Thanks!

This is such a fun thread! I'm brand new to BPAL and placed my first order this morning, but I'll be splitting another order of imps with my sister here in the next week, so I'd love to hear recommendations from you guys :)

I just graduated summa cum laude from university with degrees in psychology and biology and this fall I'll be applying to graduate programs in neuroscience. I am a HUGE bookworm and read everything I can get my hands on. I'm Native American (Choctaw on my father's side) and French (from my mother). I'm ambitious, extremely Type A, and can be rather competitive when it comes to work/school. My personal motto is "go big or go home" and I apply that to every aspect of my life. I spend most of my day acting like an extrovert when really I'm an introvert at heart. I keep most people at arm's length, but those that I do let in I keep for life :) I can be obsessive (hence the graduate degree!) and I'm working on bringing more balance into my life.

I typically love rose, lilac, jasmine, magnolia, and violet scents, so I'd love to hear favorites in these categories (particularly in magnolia and violet as my first order only included two scents with these notes), but I'd also really love to hear recommendations from other categories as well! Thanks so much!

Alethia: With the exception of your field of study and heritage, YOU ARE ME XD

That said, here some things that appealed to me that have the notes you are listing, and a few that are a bit further afield, but match my personality and thus could appeal to you, as well!

For jasmine, Kitsune-Tsuki is a winner for me. This is a very bright, playful and uplifting scent. I initially thought it wasn't "me" at all, but then it grew on me as a balancing influence.

Kitsune-Tsuki are malevolent Japanese spirits, akin to western werebeasts: women are possessed by the spirits of foxes, who compel them to perform acts of wickedness and mischief. Asian plum, orchid, daffodil, jasmine and white musk.

For a bit more oomph and some added rose, I recommend The Obsidian Widow:

Tinkling tiny feet scuttle across a massive oak desk, navigating through a flurry of papers and a maze of discarded books, wires, and bolts. Glistening green venom beads at its chelicerae, and a ruby hourglass flashes from the creature's underbelly as it begins to weave.

Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

For lilac and violet, I HAVE to add Nocturne.

An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

Dragon's Eye is pretty heavy on the lilac, as well (so much the better, sez I ;) ):

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

For a more unconventional rose, try Desire:

The overwhelming agony of passion crystallized into a singularly dark and magnetic blend: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

Vasilissa is not super-heavy on the jasmine, but a stunningly beautiful blend. It went straight on my bottle list after finally hunting down an imp!

She herself had cheeks like blood and milk and grew every day more and more beautiful: creamy skin musk and blushing pink musk with soft sandalwood, white amber, dutiful myrrh, and star jasmine.

And finally, three blends which feature little or no florals, but which are my go-to if I want to get into "I kick your ass" type A mode:

1. Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

2. Vechernyaya

Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

3. Dee

John Dee: master of science, alchemy and magic, Hermetic philosopher in the schools of Rosicrucian Christian Mysticism and Platonic-Pythagorean doctrine, and Queen Elizabeth’s astrologer, advisor, cryptologist and spy. With Edward Kelly, he created a field of study and work in Angelic Evocation, and isolated the Angelic language: Enochian. His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

That last one may sound very masculine, but from what I could see in the reviews, this one is worn by all genders. I can tell you from personal experience that it lasts a long time, it smells fabulous and it's in high demand, so if it doesn't work for you, trading it for something else should be easy!

These are all impable GC blends. Hope some of them appeal! :D

Edited by Diva Urd

Oh my god Diva Urd, those sound amazing and are going straight onto my list! Thank you so much!

This is such a fun thread, I have to give it a try. :)

I'm a 21-year-old Canadian girl from rainy Vancouver. I live in a little room full of books and cheap antiques, work as a secretary (boring), and I'm currently getting my BA in Classics & French Lit. I'm a bookworm and a total literature nerd...especially Romanticism (visiting Shelley's grave was one of the highlights of my life), Dante, Greek tragedy and Latin poetry. I also love history (especially ancient Rome and medieval England), philosophy, Victoriana, German Expressionist film, graveyards and morbid things, anything occult, and goth & post-punk music.

I'm an INTP, a boring introvert and would rather sit in my room with coffee, cigarettes and a good book than go partying. My fashion sense has been described as 'goth librarian' - I wear a ton of black and love quirky jewelry, vintage clothes and big glasses. I'm a deeply unambitious, uncompetitive type - I'm a dreamer but don't get a lot done, and I'm thinking of someday becoming a librarian or archivist but my main ambition is to live a good life and read lots of books. (:

I don't really know anything about perfume! I ordered some imps a while ago mostly based on the names, and I really like Laudanum, Thanatos and Defututa. Belladonna and Darkness I didn't like, I think it's the myrrh in them that was a little too much? I like floral scents and incense but nothing too light or fruity, I like the ones that smell more heavy and 'mysterious' if that makes any sense at all.

Alright, I'm not (that) new to BPAL, but I've always wanted to post here (I've just been too shy). Here I go anyhow!

I'm 25, Aquarius/Tiger, Red-head with hazel eyes and glasses, currently living in Vancouver. For most of my life I had two-three feet of hair--now it's more of an asymmetrical half inverted bob/half boycut. I don't have any tattoos, but I've had up to 12 piercings at one time. I'm tall for a girl, but not tall enough to be "really tall". Always been an academic and a bookworm, first child of two, so I got straight A's for most of my school life.

Up until this last year, I didn't paint my nails, didn't wear makeup, didn't care about clothes or purses or shoes, and didn't use perfume--but in the last year all of those things have starting happening (o_o!). Historically my wardrobe has been purely hand-me-down and second hand, lately I've been coming to terms with my personal issues with money and actually buying new things for the first time in my life.

I have a diploma in Visual Arts, and an affinity for charcoal and oil painting. I've traveled across Europe, lived in South Korea, and worked in a small town in Alberta. I've done a Buddhist temple stay, and I've been in sex shops on three continents. If I had to choose one place to travel to for pleasure, I'd be hard pressed but I'd likely pick Japan or New York.

I love reading and stories in general. I am a pan-fandom geek, I like movies, tv, comics, manga, graphic novels, webcomics, webisodes, videogames, mmo's, and so on. Sci-fi and Fantasy call my name, but I love a good story, particularly if it's 'different'.

I've always been the quirky one, and a beacon for the strange and helpless. I guess I was always accepting, and not judgmental, so that drew people to me. I spent a lot of my high school life questioning gender and sexuality norms and supporting/defending LGBT students and issues.

I'm less flagrantly weird now than in high school, but only because a lot of what singled me out has become normal and popular, and unlike highschool, real life doesn't involve as much enforced socialization with large groups of your peers.

I'm pretty much solitary, I don't have any social life or friends thanks to my work schedule, and I spend most of my free time when I'm not at my jobs playing PC games, reading, painting, organizing stuff, walking in the park, taking photos, or indulging in one of my current obsessions (lately, shopping for new makeup, painting my nails, and BPAL).

To The Amber Dark - I highly suggest something from Wanderlust for you, and maybe J-Horror.

AMSTERDAM

Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

CROSSROADS

The forks of the road: an in-between place, sacred and tangibly magickal in innumerable cultures and faiths. This scent is dark with mystery, taut with power. A chill twilit garden of blooms over dry earth and mosses, heavily laden with incense and offertory herbs.

GLASGOW

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

KYOTO

A gentle, soothing blend of cherry blossom, white sandalwood and star anise

LONDON

Venerable Victorian Tea Rose… twisted, blackened and emboldened with wickedness.

^.^ Don't take my word on it, but some of these seem like they may suit you and your free spirit, along with your creativeness. Seems like you're going down many different paths these days (hence crossroads).

Stickwitch: because I didn't see your post answered- since you seem to like moss and dry scents, how about Danse Macabre? It's got frankenscence, cypress and moss.

Vanitas-

If you like violets and don't mind non-fruity sweet scents, maybe Sybaris (violet, clove, tonka, incense) would work for you? I don't get a lot of incense, but the cloves and violet make the blend darker and heavier and offset the sweetness of the tonka somewhat. If scents were colors, it might be plum or deep amethyst.

It's an interesting blend, and while I don't know enough about historical perfumery to associate it with a specific era, it seems to me like it would compliment quirky vintage stuff well. Plus, there's the ancient Mediterranean connection!

Also, and possibly least relevant, I'm an INTP bookworm and I like it. :P

Eris comes to mind: Goddess of Strife and Discord, constant companion and sometime consort to Ares. She is a fickle, chaotic Goddess of Bedlam whose greatest passion is the sowing of dissention and turmoil. A suitably disjointed scent, bursting with gleeful mayhem: wet fruits and sharp mimosa with Martial spices and a deceptive flash of floral.

A friend of mine who is delightfully sarcastic and bitingly witty, no-nonsense and takes no crap from people, said she felt like this scent described her but in a way she didn't like. :rofl: I have an imp of it and I felt like it was lovely on me, nothing sinister. I think it's worth a try for you maybe?

After reading the reviews for this, I think you may be right. Thanks! I'll try to hunt it down. :)

Having gotten a couple orders back, I feel confident enough to return the favor. If I skipped anyone it’s because I am at a genuine loss for ideas. Still new to this myself. :)

I enjoy space operas, (Star Wars, Mass Effect & Firefly), feudal fiction (Robin Hood, Dragon Age, anything involving samurai), pirates (steampunk and sky-pirates are bonuses!), and all around scoundrels. My sunny side, which I like to keep under wraps, thrives on conflict, snark, and puns (really, really bad ones).

I grew up in Las Vegas, so I'm a desert girl: lots of sand and sun and sky. The smells of creosote, chlorine and wet concrete make me a happy person. Tombstone (vanilla, balsam, sassafras, cedar) and Antikythera Mechanism (teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco) are my first purchases -- waiting on them to arrive, any day now -- and Good (musk, vanilla, honey, acacia, and sugar cane) and Soldier (musk, vanilla, black tea, black pepper, leather, and pie) are already on my wishlist.

I know I said it on LJ, but Perversion smells to me like straight-up Girl Pirate. Like, DA2 edition of Isabella, 100%. Heavy on the rum, yet still sweet. My chemistry really amped up the sweetness to the point where I can’t wear it; I still have my imp, so if you like maybe we can trade sometime.

Also, Coyote if you haven’t given that one a whirl. I can’t remember if you said you ordered it? If not, I love the smell of Coyote, but it doesn’t project the image I’m going for.

I've always been a huge reader and I collect books obsessively - I have a several hundred of them I lug around despite the fact I move often. I'm obsessed with fantasy worlds and imagination, and am in the process of finishing writing a novel. I also ballroom dance quite a bit.

I am a Star Trek fan, obsessed with logic, a rather emotionless cynic. Some people have nicknamed me "Spock." I am a Myers-Briggs INTP. Things must be internally consistent. I am skilled with words, debate, I carry an extreme distrust for rhetoric. I cannot handle large crowds. I am good at real time strategy games.

I am a very cheerful person, largely because being unhappy is uncomfortable, and I like comfort. I make the best out of every situation and tend to smile constantly.

I was raised in an extremely religious protestant household, but left Christianity because I found it was internally inconsistent despite the fact my emotions were still involved. I was homeschooled and am still very naive and trusting. I tend to be very quiet and shy, preferring to watch from a corner and keep my thoughts to myself. Unless it's a strong issue on which people are stupid - like politics or religion.

Might have just been my crappy upbringing of deprivation, but I'm a fan of the whole 'sex' thing and like it often, intense, and kinky.

I have an affinity for horror and dark, dramatic writing. I am drawn to the goth, the creepy, the vampire (but am a little too cheerful to pull it off). I like rain and moss and dust and darkness and musk and longing and fantasy, but I don't like fruits or foods or blatant flowerishness.

Physically I am tall, skinny and pale, with long black hair and green eyes.

This may seem ironic given the religious mention, but for you I really think Lilith. The scent is not evil or sinister, it's dark and independent. Your experience may vary, but in my case after the wine note evaporates, the musty rose leftover is not flowery-girly, but sophisticated and very respectable. Intelligent. Beautiful, perhaps dangerous. However, this oil in particular seems to get a lot of mixed reviews, especially from people who's chemistry amps up fruity notes. Since you're leery of fruitiness, you may consider getting a partial imp if you can, or alternatively look into Vixen.

Now this one I’m going to go out on a limb on, so be forewarned. ;) Rogue from the RPG line is one of my recent additions. In the bottle it’s very masculine, going on it’s very masculine. After it dries settles down into something more of a heavy, musky leather. I wore it out yesterday and it did work for me, but I really think you should try layering this with Good (or maybe even Elf). Either of those will get it to lean more towards a woman’s scent and should compliment various aspects of you nicely (Watch from a corner, practical, prefer to be out-of sight, darker themes).

I'm an INTP, a boring introvert and would rather sit in my room with coffee, cigarettes and a good book than go partying. My fashion sense has been described as 'goth librarian' - I wear a ton of black and love quirky jewelry, vintage clothes and big glasses. I'm a deeply unambitious, uncompetitive type - I'm a dreamer but don't get a lot done, and I'm thinking of someday becoming a librarian or archivist but my main ambition is to live a good life and read lots of books. (:

I don't really know anything about perfume! I ordered some imps a while ago mostly based on the names, and I really like Laudanum, Thanatos and Defututa. Belladonna and Darkness I didn't like, I think it's the myrrh in them that was a little too much? I like floral scents and incense but nothing too light or fruity, I like the ones that smell more heavy and 'mysterious' if that makes any sense at all.

As sort of a reverse to my above recommendation, for you I'm leaning towards Vixen first. I actually have a friend who finally, after six years of legwork, found a job as a librarian and she loves this oil. Heh, perhaps I'm biased? Anyway, Vixen isn't all that heavy, but I think it does have it's own sense of mystique. Not like it's concealing anything dangerous, per say. Hmm... It's that curtained-off area in your favorite old book or sundry store: You pretty much know what's back there, but you're dying to stick your head in for a look anyway. Don't be deterred by first-impression reviews either. Vixen in the bottle is super-potent, but unless your skin tends to amp up any of the notes (for most people who have an issue it seems to be the ginger) it should even out into a very "classical" scent.

Edited by DeCuvieri

I know I said it on LJ, but Perversion smells to me like straight-up Girl Pirate. Like, DA2 edition of Isabella, 100%. Heavy on the rum, yet still sweet. My chemistry really amped up the sweetness to the point where I can’t wear it; I still have my imp, so if you like maybe we can trade sometime.

Also, Coyote if you haven’t given that one a whirl. I can’t remember if you said you ordered it? If not, I love the smell of Coyote, but it doesn’t project the image I’m going for.

Oooh! No, I completely missed Perversion. That looks absolutely delicious! I'll have to try it. I've grown quite a collection, too -- so maybe there's something you'd like to give a whirl on my list?

I haven't tried Coyote yet, either. I'm not generally a grassy person, so it didn't make it onto my wish list.

So far, Smokestack, Tombstone and Kitty are my absolute favorites. Smokestack turns into this ashy cedar meat-smoker smell on me that is strange and alluring at the same time. Tombstone smells like root beer candies, but only if you're (RIGHT HERE) next to me. Kitty is just ... amazing. Sweet and edible -- it smells completely different on my sister than it does me, which cracks me up.

I'm really disappointed in Dwarf and Antikythera Mechanism! They sound like they're designed for me in specific, but they just melt into baby powder on me. (I even dabbed Dwarf on my Varric jacket in hope that having some layers between it and my sweaty skin would help it, but it just ... evaporated.) I'm really starting to think that the BPAL "metal" scent is something I need to avoid, no matter how much I love it -- my skin just twists and contorts it beyond recognition. ;_;