Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Three Witches

Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

Wow. You know I never thought I'd be able to get my hands on a bottle since it was discontinued before I ventured into bpaldom. I also missed it when it was resurected because my internet was down at the time. So when I saw it up for sale in the swaps I was very quick to snatch it up. (thanks to polydactyl)

I'm so glad I did too. This really is amazing. I get that weird barbque smell that alot of people mentioned when I open the bottle but once it touches my skin it's completely beautiful. This is what I imagined samhain to smell like in my head before I got. While I love the way samhain smells some days it seems to complex. I think three witches will definitly be my go to bottle once the weather cools off. It is just simply cinnamon, clove, and white pepper but that's the beauty of it. It's blended so well and the notes are so pure that it's nothing short of gorgeous. Definitly one of my favorites.

After about an hour, when the scent surrounding me no longer smells like fistfulls of red hot candies that were flung into a roaring fire, this is okay. But the initial stage totally doesn't work with my skin (smoky cinnamon with the cinnamon seriously over-amped) -- not something I'll be trying again on my skin. I'll probably try it as a house scent, come November.

This smells like cardboard. I'm not even kidding. Eau de cardboard, in imp form.

I can tell there's cinnamon in it, though. It tingled a bit when I put it on. Underneath the cinnamon, the cardboard still lurks.

My nose is weird.

This one is DARK. Very spicy, cloves and smoke. Still unsure. It smells like something cooking...maybe some sort of spicy pumkin bread

Bottle: MMMspicy cinnamon and clove - like my favorite spicy tea.

Wet: Much the same, really yummy.

Dry: mellower, with a hint of the pepper, but still wonderful - and no skin reactions from the goil with the sensitive skni! w00t!

Later: mellower, still, with more clove than cinnamon..this smells very holiday to me, and it's comforting as all get out today. not long-lived...but delightful.

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

Thanks to the Discontinued Sniffing circle, I finally have the chance to compare Three Witches revisited to the original version.

In the imp - cinnamon and clove (both)

On the skin - Cinnamon and clove. A touch of pepper. This is a beautiful spicy scent. The original seems to have a slight floral note that the revisited version doesn’t have; this was completely unexpected. The revisited version is slightly harsher than the original but very similar.

It does smell a bit like cinnamon candy, fireballs in particular. This is a wonderful spicy scent and I think it’s going to be fabulous for layering. I find the revisited version to be very similar to the original.

(edited because I really can spell)

Edited by cranberry

I purchased this one last year when it was rereleased, was a little dissapointed, let it age for a year and here I am to review it!

First whiff out of the bottle I get a nice warm, comforting cinnamon. This has definilty aged well :D

Wet on my skin the clove pops out immediatly! I LOVE clove, it's got to be one of my favorite scents ever :P This is an extremley comforting scent for me. it brings back so so many really wonderful memories.

As this dries down the pepper really bursts through and balances nicley with the two other notes.

I'm really glad i let this age and gave it a chance. This is a DEFINITE keeper.

Beautiful spicy bliss! Oh goddess I wish this weren't so hard to get a hold of! I want to drown myself in it! This smells like my mother's house at Christmas - heavy on the clove, with the cinnamon dancing just underneath. The pepper adds some sharpness that's nice but not overwhelming.

i'm SO glad i tracked this one down...cinnamon and clove are two of my favorite notes, and they really shine in this blend. the pepper gives it that extra 'oomph' for a warm, spicy smell that really agrees with me. perfect, just what i was hoping three witches would be. i'll be hunting up plenty more to supplement my bottle :P

What a fiercely funny scent! The cinnamon and pepper front this in the bottle; this is a spicy blend with a real kick to it. It zip, zip, zips right out of the bottle. With a scent like this, it seems like the oil should be a bright color, but it's not – just pale yellow.

It goes on like a holiday air freshener – sharply cinnamon with a warmer, subtler undertone of cloves and a flick of pepper that takes it from sweet to sassy. It's bold, interesting, and just a little reminiscent of hard candy.

Once it settles, the pepper fades a bit and the cinnamon and clove settle into a swirly, spicy dance. This one is all heat and fire and warmth, the perfect scent to liven up a chilly October evening, or one to rock in the new holiday season with a red-hot punch of saucy spice.

This isn't currently available, so you'll have to find someone to sell you a decant or a secondhand bottle, but it's definitely recommended for those who love cinnamon-based scents. This is very brash and intense.

I have to say that I'm predisposed to spicy scents, especially those with clove, which reminds me of a french canadian christmas dinner... it's one of those smells from my childhood that I'll always love.

Wet, this was all cinnamon - kind of like those little red cinnamon heart candies. As it dried, the clove came out just a bit, and as time passed, the pepper appeared more and more. I *really* love this! I wish the clove was stronger, but once the pepper comes out, and it's not all cinnamon, this is great... It will definitely be a good warm scent for me, and I've already bought a bottle.

In the imp: Spicy cinnamon!

Wet on my skin: This is the spiciest BPAL I've tried so far. It reminds me of Big Red gum. It's a delicioius, sweet, flammable cinnamon. There's the barest hint of smoke behind the cinammon, as if it really is spicy enough to combust.

Drydown: More of the same - it's still a hot, candy-ish cinammon with a hint of smoke.

Overall: I am in love! My skin tends to eat cinammon, so most of the blends that others call spicy are not spicy at all on me. I am so happy to have found a cinnamon blend that stays true on my skin. I can't wait to start exploring the layering possibilities. :P

I combined this today with Aries 2007 and WOW! WOW WOW WOW!!! The cinnamon in Three Witches calmed down the Dragon's Blood in Aries 2007 (Dragon's Blood tends to amp up on my skin) and it was pure spicy goodness. A coworker said, when I walked by, "OMG you smell SO good today! What IS that!"

So glad I found a bottle of Three Witches!!!

In the imp: Clove. Smells like cough syrup.

On Skin: Cinnamon and cloves. Kinda reminds me to gingersnap cookies. It has a slight plasticky undertone.

On Drydown: Clove and cinnamon. Spicy.

After two hours: I can really smell the pepper on this one.

Verdict: This isn't for me. It's pretty in the baked goods sort of way, but I've never been a fan of cinnamon, clove or pepper.

Resurrected version:

Some cinnamon from a distance, but close up it's all clove and pepper. It has a weird, almost bitter twang at first that I don't find entirely pleasant. I'm guessing that's the pepper, which usually doesn't smell great on me.

I don't usually like the spicy scents, and this one's ALL spice. I'm glad I got to try it, but I'd never wear it. Nothing against the scent, I just prefer the softer comforting ones.

Original version:

I have the original version on another spot of my arm, to compare, and the original one doesn't seem to have that odd twang when it's wet. It's just straight-up spice, and it seems like more cinnamon than clove.

Ooooh I love this one!

Wet: Cinnamon and Clove with sweetness and almost a boozy smell.

Dry: Dry I get a lot of cinnamon and pepper out of this, but as it dries it smells like cinnamon and clove. It's also got a fair amount of sweetness to it. The pepper mostly falls to the background for me, giving it a bit of an edge, but not overwhelming the other notes.

I must have more!!

cinnamon, clove and burning leaves. this is a perfect autumn scent. woe is me, for i have only a tiny little imp. it is sweet, spicy, smokey and marvelous goodness. :P

In the imp: Clove! But not like clove cigarettes, more like clove for baking. Getting a hint of cinnamon as well. Makes me think of cookies, and baking in general or rearranging my spice cabinet maybe. I like it.

On the wrist: Starting to get more of the pepper immediately upon application. The cinnamon is the least obvious of the three notes.

Dry: The cinnamon comes back with a vengeance, cinnamon red hots. Very sharp and hot scent. There is still a hint of clove in there, but the pepper has been lost entirely. :P This was great in the bottle, good wet on the wrist and disappointing on the dry down. Off to the swaps.

An old original imp with the old BPAL label...

In the imp: Wow, what a wonderful and warm blend, the clove and cinnamon blend is beautiful, and I hope/fear this may be the cinnamon blend that I've been searching for.

Wet: I love this--it's really warm and wonderful. The clove is fantastic, but the cinnamon is dominant and I don't smell the pepper at all.

Drydown and wear: I think I will have to wear this scent sparingly, as the cinnamon does veer dangerously close to 'red hots' territory during the drydown stage. However, when worn in small quantities, I don't think it will have that effect. This is kinda what I hoped Tintagel would be (and I guess it was, except Three Witches doesn't give me welts). It looks like I might have to search out some more of this, as I only have a partial imp.

In the bottle: Warm and cinnamony.

Wet: Cinnamon with a spiky pepper background, faint clove.

Later: Fairly true to the wet scent, with the clove warming up. Very nice. My boyfriend likes. Now to be conservative with it, as I have a partial bottle which I picked up for $10 on Ebay.

I got this as a frimp, so I didn't know what the description was before I tried it. I knew that it smelled like some sort of candy that I've had before and I couldn't figure it out for about a half hour. Then I realized.... this smells exactly like Big Red gum.

Bottle: Cinnamon

Wet: Cinnamon and clove, some pepper. It does smell like Big Red gum!

Drydown: Disappears on me very fast. This is a discontinued scent, so I'm putting that down towards being old!

2.5 outta 5

In the Bottle: Cinnamon and cloves, and something sweet. Yum!

On Me: Clove, pepper and a bit of sugar and cinnamon. Yummy and hot! There seems to be a faint musk or something underneath this one, so that it's not entirely spices. Something to anchor it all. It definitely softens on the skin after time.

This review is for the Three Witches Revisited version.

In vial: So strong I don't even have to open the vial to get a whiff. It makes me feel like when I was a child and did somersaults with a mouthful of red hots, all that cinnamon saliva draining back into my nose.

On skin, wet: The cinnamon takes a back seat and is overpowered by a very even blend of cloves and pepper. It's definitely spicy, but not excessively so.

On skin, dry: It's like the middle of an atomic fireball, when the hot outer shell has been sucked away, and the sweetness of the center begins to soothe the inside of your mouth. I don't know how I'll keep my nose off of my wrists while waiting for more time to pass.

After time: An hour later the scent is almost completely faded away, but is otherwise unchanged. I desperately hope that the fading is due in part to how little I applied.

Conclusion: A scent that manages to be both relaxing and invigorating simultaneously. Perfect for those days when I'm about to implode from stress and exhaustion. I'm very disappointed in how quickly it faded, but I love it so much that I'd happily slather more on whenever necessary if I could get my hands on a bottle of this.