Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Three Witches

Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

Origins - I bought what I think was the last bottle of the reformulated Three Witches from Black Broom for a friend of mine, and in return, she gifted me with a decant.

Wet - a spicy blend of cinnamon and clove. Ooh yes, I smell the pepper too!

Dry - The cinnamon is the red hots kind, but the clove and pepper are equally strong. There really isn't much change from wet to dry on me. This is quite strong, and appears to have quite a bit of throw. I love spicy blends and like this quite a bit, but I there are other similiarly spicy blends I like even more, like Shub and Sin. I will hang on to the imp, but I am not heartbroken that this was discontinued.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best this rates a 4.

Wow, I can't believe I'd never reviewed this one. After trying an imp, I picked up a bottle a short while before it was discontinued. This admittedly is from my notes I took while trying on the imp.

In the bottle, and immediately on my skin, this is very, very cinnamon-y - it smells, as others have mentioned, very much like red hots. Sadly, for me, even as Three Witches dries, I don't get the other spicy notes; it remains very strong cinnamon. For what it's worth, this has amazing throw, and it lasts for hours and hours.

Overall - I like this, but I'm not sure it's what I would have hoped for. In general, I love spicy blends, and they love me, but this one is so very strong that I'm afraid of oppressing others around me (though admittedly, they'd be oppressed with glorious cinnamon).

Yes this is definitely as it is described.

It doesn't change a whole lot from wet to dry on my skin. The cinnamon stands out slightly beyond the clove and pepper. This is tasty warm. I'll be wearing this a lot when the weather cools off. It'll probably be good for layering too.

The cruel agony of finding this baby after it is discontinued. This is one of the scents I have been looking for from BPAL.

In the bottle: Cinnamon

First on wet: Spicy cinnamon with a touch of spice that is a little different from the cinnamon possily the pepper

Drydown: Subtler softer cinnamon so well rounded. This goes from smelling like a bottle of pure essential cinnamon oil I use to have to something lighter. The cinnamon is a hint now instead of in your face the clove warms this up and again I think I actually get the pepper. This briefly very briefly goes through a yucky powder stage but I can handle it to get back to this wonderful warm spicey yummy scent.

Overall: A Imp will not sate my desire for this scent I must find more!!!!! This is perfect for the cinnamon freaks among us.

Of course, I have to fall in love with a discontinued scent! This smells like a spiced chai tea I love to drink, but occasionally would make just to sniff.

I love clove & pepper, but cinnamon can easily be too much for me. Three Witches is, in my opinion, all about the cinnamon. It's like red hots candies and a weird undertone that smells almost like burnt bacon on me :/

As this has aged, this is all red hots cinnamon all the time...

Edited by Little Bird

The cinnamon and white pepper were the first notes that appeared when I first put this on my skin. After it dried down a few minutes I could smell the clove. Very spicy blend. Unfortunately it seems to be burning my skin a bit. The cinnamon seems to be getting stronger as the discomfort on my wrist. I'm going to wash this off and be sad it isn't something I can wear. :P

I'm going to try layering this with other oils and see if that tones down the burning at all, or I can wear it in my hair :D

Three Witches

In Bottle: Exquisite! The cinnamon comes out to me in the bottle. Smells a little like my mom's Home Sweet Home candle.

Wet, On Skin: This is delicious! The cloves sharpen sweetly on my skin, and I get a feeling of the white pepper deep inside my nose. At a distance, it smells like a gingerbread cookie. It's warm without being too hot -- there's a cool underside to it.

1.5 Hours on Skin: Cookie!! So yummy. My skin hasn't gotten irritated under the oils, either, which is exciting.

Drydown: Lightly sweet, and very subtle. I've tried it a couple of times, and the drydown strength depends on the time of day and month.

Conclusion: Love it, especially for fall and winter!

Edited by sun_set_bravely

Wet, cinnamon.

This dries into a very clean cinnamon scent that reminds me of Red Hot's candy. Sweet and warm. It also reminds me of Christmas!! It has dried into a perfect blend of cinnamon and clove!

Fades into a soft clove before vanishing a few hours later.

smells just like a red hot cinnamon fireball :D

i love cinnamon and clove scents with my chemistry and 3 witches is a winner in my book! i love how the peppery parts comes through after awhile as well.

great for autumn :P

In the imp: Clovey cinnamon.

On, wet: Cinnamon.

Later: The clove comes back out to play, and it's a nose-searing cinnamon-clove fireball. Not as sweet as Wrath, with the clove actually making itself known in this mix. Oh, how I wish it was not discontinued. *grits teeth*

I tried my sister's imp of this, also...and sadly, I really loved it. It's all spice and warmth and deliciousness. It even lasted really well for me - it was soft on my skin but stronger in my hair, and when I shook my head I got to smell a burst of clove, pepper, and cinnamon. I kind of thought I smelled ginger in there too, but I'm probably imagining things.

This is a delicious, warm, autumnal scent that I would love to have if it should ever reappear.

Oh, this is my favorite. I wouldn't let myself adore it because it was discontinued and my chances of ever getting more than an imp were slim.

But now, it has been resurrected, and I can let my adoration flow.

Wet: Cinnamon, cloves, and what must be the pepper grounds it.

First Drydown: Smells very similar to wet, it has softened slightly.

Overall: This is a 5 star perfume. It has a remarkable throw, lasts for hours and hours on me. It almost disappoints me because I want an excuse to slather myself in it.

Buy again? Yes, I ordered 3 today. A small part of me feels like a greedy bitch, but mostly I feel really good about it.

Strong cinnamon and clove, right out of the vial. It smells like Christmas! There is a bit of the Red Hots vibe, but I think it's the initial throw of the cinammon.

As the scent mellows, the cinnamon becomes less dominant, and the clove stays as a steady note. I'm not able to discern the white pepper at all. As it fades, it gets sweeter, but it keeps the spicy note.

The scent fades really quickly on me--I'd have to slather it on to make it last. It's a lovely scent, but I don't think it's for me.

An imp of the pre-resurrection blend from Shelldoo -- thanks!

Wet, this was a perfectly even blend of cinnamon and clove, deliciously similar to baking spices. The clove faded as it dried, and the cinnamon grew stronger. It's a very rich, powerful scent, long-lasting with excellent throw. I compare it a bit to Shub or Gingerbread Poppet,also quite spicy on me, but minus the ginger and with the bite of pepper. I might like to temper it with something a little sweeter and more creamy (I hear Antique Lace is good for layering...), but by itself it's pretty kick-ass. I feel tough! :P

In bottle: Cinnamon!

Wet: Cinnamon with a twist of clove. Happily, it's a real scent, not the horrid artificial cinnamon smell I get from Gluttony.

Dry: Cinnamon/clove! Spicy, but not headache-inducing.

Great for a room scent, but not as perfume, as it burned my skin a bit. Thanks to Sevensins for letting me try it. :P

Edited by harmonyfb

What a spicy, delightful scent.

It's straight up liquified red hots in the imp.. I almost expected it to be a bright red oil! It's a lovely, dusky cinnamon.. it's not the garish cinnamon that I thought it would be.

It doesn't exactly "mellow" when it dries, but it does become more mature and softer-edged. It makes me think of decorating gingerbread men with mini red hots and icing on Christmas Eve. I love it and will wear it with gusto this season. I can alse foresee wonderful layering possibilities.

5 of 5!

This is a really beautiful scent that is so Christmassy it makes me want to eat my wrist. For some reason on me it's cinnamon and vanilla - creamy spicy deliciousness - and it lasts so well. This is, without hesitation, a 5ml purchase. And it definitely doesn't fit in with the scents I thought I liked - mostly light fruity smells or maybe very light toffee scents. I hated Lush's Skinny Dip, but I love this. Go figure! But I am so glad I got the chance to get this scent.

threewitches.jpg

(Three Witches 2005)

In the bottle: Cinnamon and something darker, almost woodsy - that's the pepper, I'm assuming.

Wet: Same deal, cinnamon stick and this crazy pepper that makes the blend very sinister. (I have no idea where people have been getting red hots - this is a really dark red/brown on me, there's nothing gleeful or childlike about it)

Drydown: The pepper gains strength, battling with the clove for a moment until finally it softens and I get that concentrated cinnamony scent back.

Each note seems to be playing with each other as much as off each other.

Personal Notes: The cinnamon, as per usual, is burning my skin. Though just a bit - it's a pleasurable pain. :P

3.5/5 on Medici's Scale O'Love

Edited by Medici

Hmm - I've just got a bottle of the limited edition Three Witches, and it's not comparing very favourably to the original for me, I'm afraid.

The original was a pure blend of the three notes, it felt very clear, and, well, pure.

This bottle has a wierd 'off' note which I guess could just be a variation in one of the spice oils. It isn't so nice, which I'm sorry about since I've almost finished my original imp.

Note: Mine is a "Resurrected" bottle.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Spices!

In the bottle: Warm cinnamon stick and pepper.

On skin, wet: If ever there was a red scent, this is it. If this were straight cinnamon, I'd go with the Red Hot description, but I think that Red-Hot thing is the clove -- spicy, sweet clove. Peppery and almost unbearably warm -- I say 'unbearably' in a very good way.

On skin, dry: Still cinnamon, clove and pepper, and now something woodsy. Earthy. Darker than I'd have expected.

Conclusion: Lovely! I love cinnamon and clove, and the pepper in this, so really, it's no big shock that I love this blend. I'd not tried Three Witches before this, so I've no idea if there's any difference between "Original" and "Resurrected."

Edited by Aredhel

Resurrected

In the bottle: Pure cinnamon, slightly peppery.

Wet, on skin: Liquefied red hots! Whoa! :P

Dry: Now the red hot, candy kind of cinammon turns into pure a pure cinnamon, with light pepper and clove. Smells good, but would be awesome for layering.

Well, I'm glad I waited until this one was resurrected to buy a bottle, for awhile there I was trying to buy a high priced one off of ebay. This one diesn't work for me at all! I'm not a clove or a pepper fan, so naturally

Three Witches and I don't get along. It's much too strong for me, it hurts my sinuses and makes me sneeze. It has an outrageous amount of throw, and I really still appreciate the concept; I'm sure for the right person this is fabulous. I'll find my bottle a good home.

I got my 5mL of Resurrected today and had to try it immediately.

In the bottle this is pure cinnamon with a touch of something else. Obviously that's the cloves or pepper, but I'm really not sure which.

Once on me, this is cinnamon, but.. it turns pure potpourri (sp?) on me. :P Ugh. I have a feeling this might give me a headache.

It's getting a bit mellower as it dries, but I'm not sure how well I'm going to get on with Three Witches.

This is a pending swapper, I think. :D Damn.

Wow, this was cinnamony right out of the bottle. Sort of like red hots candy, or cinnamon altoids. I should've waited till after breakfast to put it on, because it made everything I ate or drank taste like cinnamon--even my orange juice!

The cinnamon mellowed after a while, into a smooth, almost creamy scent that reminds me of gingerbread cookies and hot cocoa, but with a peppery hint under everything.

I'll wear this when I want to project warmth and comfort, or just when the gray, cold Northwest days start to get to me.