Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RaeiNarcissus

Skytyping with Chemtrails

Incapacitating poofiness: spun sugar, white amber, white musk, citron, and lemongrass masking a sinister, almost chemical undernote of elemi, zdravetz, and ravintsara.

In the bottle, it smells like sugar-coated lemongrass. A second, deeper sniff reveals a sharp, herby undernote, which is vaguely reminiscent of chemicals. **pleasepleasepleeeease don't let the chemical notes amp**

Immediately upon application, the lemongrass becomes stronger, more sour, and the teensiest bit bitter. The sugar is still easily detectable. In fact, if I don’t sniff my skin up close, it smells exactly like lemon candies. Yummy! The closer I get, the more sharp herbiness I can smell.

As the minutes tick by, the lemon takes a backseat and the sugar becomes more and more prominent. I’m reminded of the Lemonheads candies that loose their sour coating as you suck them and start to taste mostly of sugar with a hint of lemon. At this point, I can’t catch much of the “chemical undernote” unless I press my nose against my wrist and really snuffle around (thank goodness!).

This has a fair amount of throw and lasts a good while. It’s fresh, sweet, and beautiful - an excellent hot-weather scent. I’m so glad I sprung for a bottle unsniffed! :wub2: Edited by Proxy

In the bottle: lemon!

On skin: it’s lovely! It’s a sugary lemon but not overly tart. Definitely has a lemongrass vibe. As it dries, it gets creamier and smoother. It still does have that undertone that gives it an almost metallic or mechanical vibe but in a good way.

Impression: perfect for summer. It’s fresh and light.

Side note... I wore this today and I let my husband sniff it and I said 'do I smell like lemonheads?' to which he replied 'you smell like thai food'

and then my face did this - :blink: and then it did this - :huh: and then he said 'you know, that gingery-lemon kinda of smell?'

um... ok.

Anyway... it's sugary lemon and I love it! :lol:

Edited by MineralGirl

Wow. I get none of the sugary sweetness others have described in Skytyping with Chemtrails. On me, this oil is a skin-close, musky amber with a hint of lemongrass. The musk, or maybe the chemicals, make this smell like a masculine scent. I like it, but it's not the light, lemony summer scent I signed up for.

This smelled like a puff of sugar when I opened the imp, then it was lemongrass-lemongrass-lemongrass as I applied it. It's dried into something delicious and lemony and sweet, with a bit of bite.

Edited to add:

I had this on for several hours and my husband commented that it smelled "tropical". I'm not sure that I get traditional tropical (coconut, pineapple, etc.), but I definitely get a green tropical after wearing it for a while, like a big green palm frond waving a waft of a lemony drink. Bottom line: totally delicious.

Edited by MonkeysInk

In the bottle: Sweet lemon sugar! :wub2:

Wet, on my skin: Mmmmm sugary lemon drop candies with powdered sugar on top.

Dry: The lemongrass settles down a bit...but it's still ALLLL sweet lemon drops on my skin. I'm not detecting anything else. This its absolutely delicious! I want to eat my skin and it's making me crave lemon candies :P

A winner! :joy: SO glad I have a bottle of this!!!

My husband loves this too. He also agrees with the lemon drops comparision.

In the vial, it's very citrusy and sweet-tart. Almost reminds me of orange Pez. :-) Color, orange-white.

Wet on my skin, I am in love. Citrus and musk and sugar and resins... If it stays like this, I need like a dozen bottles.

10-15 minute drydown - <3<3<3<3<3 I don't think I can *put* enough hearts on this one. This is the citrus I've been looking for.

In the Bottle: sugary lemon

Wet on Skin: intense sugared lemon

While Drying: This softens a bit while drying. Poofiness is right! This is such a bright, happy scent.

After a Little While: There is a good amount of throw at this point. There are none of the chemical tones I was afraid might pop up. It loses some of the sparkling quality of the initial stages.

Later: No longer tart, just a soft sweet lemon scent. I wish the strong throw lasted longer. So glad I ordered a bottle of this based on the early reviews.

Skytyping with Chemtrails earns a 4/5 on my skin.

At first this was very yummy, juicy lemon :yum: in the vial and wet on my skin. However, it dried down to a strange, chemical grassy smell. I wish I got more of the spun sugar! I'm gonna hold onto my decant and see if I like it better with a bit more aging.

Lemony, smooth and...something else. Wet on my skin, smells a little like strawberries with a strong boost of lemon candy. The feel of this is very childlike and sweet, literally. Not getting anything chemical yet.

Later... well nothing has changed, no morphing. Stayed true to the original first applied notes. Scent is a little lighter now and softer but still sweet, childlike and innocent.

Wow, lemongrass! I think Skytyping With Chemtrails is the most lemongrassy BPAL blend I've ever smelled. I dabbed this on, and all I could think was, Lush. Specifically, Avobath. It's not an Avobath dupe, but the lemongrass is similar. I don't get much of anything else, and the lemongrass is not the loud candy lemon of Lemon Scented Sticky Bat (I like loud, foody scents) but I like this one anyway. It's soft but still cheerful.

In the Vial: You'd think that lemon plus sugar would equal lemonade, but no. In Skytyping with Chemtrails, the lemon is tart and juicy and an entirely different entity than the sugar, which has a very warm, poofy quality to it and reminds me a bit of Midway. I'm getting the white musk, too, but softly. And though I have no idea what elemi, zdravetz, or ravintsara smell like (or even how to pronounce them), I can definitely smell the "sinister, almost chemical undernote" they give this blend, however subtly.

Wet: The white amber slowly starts to come out and softens everything else. The lemon and sugar are blending more now, and are starting to smell more like lemonade, or lemon candy. There's still an herbal quality to it, though.

Dry: It's taking a turn away from lemon candy and towards Lemon Pledge - or, more accurately, lemon-scented soap. Oh no. If I breathe really deeply, I can get the resiny goodness of the amber.

An Hour Later: Huh. Now it's neither lemon candy nor lemon-scented soap. It's just a soft, summery, feminine lemon scent.

Overall: I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. When I first sniffed Skytyping with Chemtrails a few weeks ago, I thought it was really intriguing and different. But it didn't quite end up that way. Not that it's bad - because it's not - but it's not as interesting as I'd thought it'd be. Nice, but not for me.

This is exactly what I wanted it to be - a sweet and moreish lemon candy scent. Usually I'm not at all into lemongrass, but this one is absolutely beautiful and mouth-watering. Overall, it smells like lemon jellybeans to me. Deeeee-lish and perfect for summer.

A very lemony cup of tea, with something bitter lurking underneath even though you put a few spoons' worth of sugar in the brew already. Very nice and bright, but yes, there's something under there that's trying to claw its way up.

Wet: Lemon herbal tea - something in this reminds me a bit of chamomile. It's quite pleasant, and I don't find it chemically at all. Not as sweet as I anticipated, and the lemon is very natural smelling.

Dry: Really rather yummy sugary lemon, and the herbals are somewhat tea like. I like this much more than I anticipated, but thankfully not quite enough to feel the need to try to hunt some down. Still, if I really liked lemony scents, I would want to slather in this, it's truly fantastic.

Just scored this after many moons trying to find it. Lab eBay finally came through, or at least I finally had a winning bid ;). (Y’all are merciless snipers, HAH! ;))

On me, this begins almost like a sweet suntan lotion, which is perfect for hot Floridian days. The wet phase’s strength lasts for a full hour until it blossoms into an herbally and almost floral bouquet, retaining its sweetness. There is no chemical undercurrent here! Citrus is definitely present, but in a very understated way. It dries into what smells like (Sweetarts?) to me.

Ugh. I can’t believe it took me this long to get this scent. I fuggin’ love it.

I really wanted to love this because of the theme, but alas. There's just not enough sweetness here for me. The spun sugar, while present in the beginning, burns off pretty quickly, and leaves me with a ton of lemony citrus and white musk that just does not have enough sweetness accompanying it for me, and then the white amber takes over and I'm even less enthused, as I wanted sugary citrus. I do think it has an intentional chemical undertone to it, too, with some of the notes, because even my partner mentioned that it was citronella-adjacent, but not quite there.

I am glad that I finally got to try this one, but sadly, it is not for me. I decided not to hold onto it because I have so many other sugary lemon scents that I love already.

Edited by doomsday_disco