Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Siren

Bewitching, tantalizing and dangerously seductive. A thrilling, exotic blend -- deceptively sweet, but spiked with malice. White ginger, jasmine, and a touch of vanilla and apricot.

I applied this and immediately thought, "Wow, this is pretty hot!" Apricot is made sophisticated with the addition of ginger and jasmine. On me, jasmine sometimes smells powdery/old-lady, and sometimes smells exotic/sexy. Here, happily, it's the latter. If you like other sexy fruit blends like Depraved or Intrigue, then this is probably for you.

When I opened this I got a really strong hit of ginger and vanilla..it was quite intense!

Very very heavy, and quite spicy...the vanilla is there though because there's a tiny bit of sweetness lurking underneath.

Wet on my skin this is just ginger..nothing else..at least up close.

When I move my hand away I'm getting those sweeter fruity notes wafting upwards...

It's quite pretty...

When this dries down it is quite sinister...it's sweet, but dark and spicy and it seems to morph every time you smell it.

I love this :P

I want it in a big bottle!

Edit: Nevermind...after a longer dry down - this went HORRIBLE on me..it was just ginger, and nothing else - and I really don't like it :D Boo to ginger.

Edited by BrightRedScream

So weird! I thought with these notes, it would be a pleasant, creamy fruit floral. On me, it's dark and heavy, almost like myrrh! (The ginger.) At times, it reminded me of cumin. o.0 Did *not* play well with my chemistry.

this is odd D: ginger.......i don't like ginger but i keep smelling my hand? its floral! it must be the jasmine trying to peek in. come on full force, jazzy!

and in a few minutes, it does! yay! i love the frimps beth sends me! <3

My skin is on crack.

I'm getting orange. The orange starts out sharp and sour and then mellows down and becomes sweeter. Jasmine appears then, along with something vaguely incensey.

The overall effect is a very close sibling to Forbidden Fruit. This is one to save for the summertime.

Update, October 23, 2007

I'm currently on a mission to retry my underappreciated imps, which is about the only thing that appeases me when I'm waiting for a new order. :P Today, it was Siren's turn for a second chance.

I don't know if it's the aging of the oil, a change in my nose, or what, but I'm not getting the oranginess or sourness I got last year. I'm definitely getting apricot as the dominant note, and it's so true and so juicy that I can almost feel the flesh of the fruit breaking between my teeth. Vanilla lurks just below the surface to round it out and tip it over to the "warm" side rather than the "cool." Ginger adds a bit of spice.

Surprisingly, I can't really smell jasmine. Usually jasmine amps on me, but here it isn't making much of an appearance at all.

Overall, this is quite lovely, reminiscent of spiced fruit, and much more "autumnal" than my first impression indicated. I'm also curious how it would layer with Bengal.

I like this more and more as the day wears on. It might almost console me for being nearly out of my favorite spiced-fruit scent (Haunted Palace). It don't know that it really says "siren" to me (a cold, aquatic scent would fit the name more, in my head), but it definitely says YUMMMMMMM.

Edited by lady_pandora

Siren is another favorite GC. It is a heavy fruity citrus/apricot with a slight bitter-wood undertone. Hurrah for the other notes holding their own against jasmine rampage.

I may hoard the imp.

My skin is on crack.

I'm getting orange. The orange starts out sharp and sour and then mellows down and becomes sweeter. Jasmine appears then, along with something vaguely incensey.

The overall effect is a very close sibling to Forbidden Fruit. This is one to save for the summertime.

I'm getting orange too. In fact I could *swear* there is orange blossom in this.

It reminds me a lot of ravenous, which is one of my all time favorites. Except it's a bit...sharper than Ravenous, and ever so slightly sour on my skin. It's edging on bathroom cleaner scent, but not quite there. It's overall a nice scent, though. Will have to try this again on another day.

I'm not sure what to think of this one. I get mostly ginger-vanilla with a hint of something cutting it [jasmine, I think]. I don't know how old this imp is, but the oil is certainly viscous, and my skin feels softer where the oil has touched it... I don't get any apricot at all, except when my nose is about two inches away from my skin -- any closer or farther, and there's no fruit at all. don't ask me why.

she has nice throw -- even my crippled nose can smell my wrists from about a foot and a half away, and I applied lightly. Sweet and enticing. I'll keep the imp for when I'm in the mood, but I don't need a bottle of this.

ETA: Forget 'bottle', I want to bathe in this. I don't know what I was thinking -- this dries down to the most gorgeous apricot-vanilla that blends very well with skin. Yumm.

Edited by myoubi

Well, a lot of people love her, so I will give her a try. Slightly bitter, a little foody...

And she does not blow my mind. It's ok. She is a bitter, woodsy with a hint of vanilla.

Edited by indicolite

I thought this would be wonderful on me--BPAL vanilla, apricot, and jasmine blends tend to be wonderful--but the white ginger turned very sharp to the point of being acrid. It went from tooth-achingly sweet with soapy white ginger to smelling like a cloyingly sweet trash fire. Disappointing.

This smells so bad to me in the imp. It smelled like a combination of rotted blood and dirt, and I smell a little of the pinesol that someone mentioned.

It just smells like a bad perfume on. It has jasmine so of course it's bad on me. I can't even describe what's in this, it just smells so bad to me. I don't smell vanilla, maybe I can make out the other notes. This makes me nauseous.

When I first applied this, I thought it seemed like an apricot/ginger scent over the top of jasmine. Jasmine is not my favorite floral note, but I kinda like that spicy kick the white ginger gives it. It's intense when I put my nose right up next to my wrist, but if I just wave my arm in front of my face I like the scent.

I can't decide whether I like this enough that I'd choose it over one of my favorites when I'm deciding what to wear for the day. To me, it smells like a standard perfume scent, and I prefer the more unusual ones. It does have a certain allure, though... I think I'll keep the imp around and see what happens.

In the vial and wet on the skin is terrible. Like a clash of things that don't get along together. After a while, it starts unfolding and showing a more balanced complexity. I cannot really pick any note, it's dark, bitter and somehow spicy, but the spicyness goes away soon.

It's an interesting scent, but it doesn't work for me.

Oooh, I was frimped with this in my latest order. It almost got thrown into the swap pile, since it smells horrid while in the imp. However, I dabbed a bit on to my wrist, and it smells wonderful! I'm getting mostly vanilla and ginger, with a hint of jasmine. So far I can't detect the apricot at all.

I think I may actually have to add a bottle of this to my wishlist! This is a wonderful scent, with great throw.

Imp: A little spicy and woody. Not at all what I was expecting.

Wet: Woody and fruity, a slight sweetness in the background. This one changed a lot on me as it dried. I got a nice raw coconut meat thing going for a few minutes, not the artifical stuff, but the real thing. This got sweeter and sweeter with more time, but not sickeningly so.

Dry: A very well balanced fruit (apparently apricot) and floral (maybe I don't hate jasmine?), with a clean kick of ginger. Really really nice. I can't stop sniffing myself and I like it more and more each time.

Final thoughts: Very nice. This was one of the orginal scents that caught my attention here and I'm excited to see that it worked so well. Also, the boyfriend liked this one.

:P

I did not think I was allergic to any of the ingredients in this blend, but something about the combination has me sneezing like no tomorrow.

From what I can smell, this is kind of sharp and not-pretty on my skin :D

Siren’s been hanging on my wishlist for a few months now, and just as I was considering being a bit more aggressive in hunting it down, it appeared as a Frimp in my last order! :P

Alas, we were not meant to be, as, the result is toilet bowl cleanser, with a dry-down akin to Vick’s (and I may need napalm to separate myself from it).

Faiza will be comforted in knowing that it’s still my number one jasmine and ginger blend. :D

In the imp: Cleaning solvent. Oh my, this is pungent. :D

Wet: The washed floors of a kindergarten play room. OMG, white ginger hates me!! :P

Drydown: Less offensive to my nose, now that the ginger's taken a backseat, but mostly I'm reminded of the first two minutes of wearing this scent and they are *not* pleasant.

Not a keeper.

Wow, this is nasty on me. It's like astringent. If institutional antibacterial cleansers came in scents like apricot, this is what they would smell like. I don't know if it's the ginger or the jasmine that's hating me in this one, but it's gotta go.

In the imp it's... nice. Pretty enough.

On me it goes GINGERRRRRRR

It's all right, very spicy-sweet, but with a heavy dusty undertone. And I can't smell it without going :| at it because that undertone, wtf is up with that?

I'm so sad because I thought I would really like this and then it went on all GINGER on me and kinda stayed that way.

once it dried down I could pick up something sweet trying to poke its head out from under the ginger but the ginger is definitely just stomping away over everything going "look at me! me!" it's strong and not for me.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Lunaratu

After the kick of ginger in the opening fanfare, Siren dries down to something completely unremarkable. I guess it's the vanilla and apricot, but to be honest, this smells like neither. I'm not particularly impressed by this oil, unfortunately.

I thought I'd already reviewed this, but...apparently not!

Anyway, I haven't worn Siren for a while, but I wanting something a little sexy-feeling tonight and remembered this particular scent and put it on and WOW. I have no idea what this smells like (never did) but it smells wonderful and is exactly what I needed.

In Bottle: Mostly jasmine, with a bit of the ginger to sharpen it up

Wet: Eeeew. I can't smell anything except sour wrongness. I don't know what happened

Dry: A little better. The ginger comes forth, and the vanilla softens it. And then...cardamom? It smells like Indian food. Which is not a bad thing, definitely - I love Indian food. It's just not really what I'm looking for in a fragrance :P

This one's going in my trade pile - it's just not for me. But it still really makes me admire the lab's ability to concoct unusual, creative, and complex scents. I'm sure that no conventional perfume even comes close to this fascinating combination of spices.