Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

THE GIRL

(The Singular Death of Morton, Algernon Blackwood)

Then, suddenly, as they had turned to go, after much vain shouting and knocking at the door, a face appeared for an instant at a window, the shutter of which was half open. His friend saw it first, and called aloud. The face nodded in reply, and presently a young girl came round the corner of the house, apparently by a back door, and stood staring at them both from a little distance.

And from that very instant, so far as he could remember, these queer feelings had entered his heart-fear, distrust, misgiving. The thought of it now, as he lay in bed in the darkness, made his hair rise. There was something about that girl that struck cold into the soul. Yet she was a mere slip of a thing, very pretty, seductive even, with a certain serpent?like fascination about her eyes and movements; and although she only replied to their questions as to refreshment with a smile, uttering no single word, she managed to convey the impression that she was a managing little person who might make herself very disagreeable if she chose. In spite of her undeniable charm there was about her an atmosphere of something sinister. He himself did most of the questioning, but it was his older friend who had the benefit of her smile. Her eyes hardly ever left his face, and once she had slipped quite close to him and touched his arm.

The strange part of it now seemed to him that he could not remember in the least how she was dressed, or what was the colouring of her eyes and hair. It was almost as though he had felt, rather than seen, her presence.

A seductive, serpentine white scent, elusive, crystalline, and spellbinding: white amber, silver birch, immortelle, davana, pale musk, star jasmine, and ylang ylang.

The Girl actually reminds me a lot of Bath and Body Works' brown sugar vanilla scent, except waay more sinister.

I was on the fence about this one for a while. It's got the kind of appeal that makes Snow White so popular. All the aspects are so well blended and you've probably never smelled anything quite like it.

I think my indecision was due to the fact that I'd get a waft and be like "That is just so God damn creepy." For such a pretty scent it squicked me out to the point where I didn't want much to do with it.

It's been a couple years and I'd like to try it again. It's so hard to find though, I wish they'd bring it back next Weenie time.

This is my favorite of all the Halloweenies this year - and between my order(s) and last month's Will Call, I think I tried almost everything! That being said, it isn't something that you will smell and think, "Ah, autumn! Halloween!" The Girl is a scent you can and will wear year-round.

For a passage that's so chilling, I didn't expect the perfume to be so... pretty! It is indeed crystalline but without having any cold or aquatic elements. I don't find any single component to be dominant (which was a relief, I can amp ylang ylang in an unpleasant fashion, jasmines of all types can take over a blend on my skin, and I was concerned about the silver birch since birch can sometimes get wintergreen-y on me). I'd describe this as a perfectly balanced white musk scent, sweet from the florals without being predominantly floral and anchored by just a bit of amber, the kind of amber that is reminiscent of vanilla.

My boyfriend decided to surprise me with two bottles of perfume. Of course, it came and I had placed an order on the 2nd, so I was like "No way in HELL that's the perfume I ordered!" Then he played dumb. And then he admitted it. At least I know he listens when I talk now :-)

Bottle: Maybe it's my nose today, but I can hardly smell anything! It's so faint. I'm taking this as a good and a bad. Good because it means the florals won't kill it. Bad because it may disappear on my skin. But from what I can smell, I get the faint tinge of jasmine mixed with amber and musk. Well, here goes...

Wet: Where did this go!? It's gone. Maybe it's the lotion I put on that totally sucked away my skin's chance of perfume? That makes no sense. Where is this perfume?!

Dry: Found it! And what a beautiful perfume it is. The jasmine isn't overpowering, and the musk isn't killing me like some musks like to do. The birch is coming out. I don't normally smell some wood notes, or maybe my skin eats them, but this one I can smell and I like it! It's a very sweet, well-blended perfume that's very light. Sticks close to the skin.

I'm liking this a lot.

In the bottle: delicate, a "7-up" citrus vibe. Clear oil.

On skin: strong throw, citrus is gone and a delicate warm floral, vanilla emerges. I didn't get the baby powder from hell others describe.

HOWEVER - this did burn on my skin and I had to wash it off. :smite: I have several BPAL oils and none have done this to me nor do I have sensitive skin. Despite washing with soap and water, the girl is still there.

The label is excellent!

Lovely! I know it isn't listed in the notes, but i definitely get some vanilla from this one. Add in the pale musk, amber, and subtle florals, and this is just a lovely scent! I almost felt as though there was a hint of mintyness in the bottle and just after application, but that disappears very quickly. Or perhaps it doesn't disappear, but rather blends into the background to add to the "crystalline" quality of this perfume. I agree that it isn't "crystalline" as in frozen, more like sugar crystals. I really love this, and may end up getting a back-up!

ETA: I already have one back-up on the way and will likely purchase at least one more. This is an HG scent for any lover of vanilla/(light)musk combos. And the lasting power of this blend is amazing, particularly for such a "quiet" scent. I'd say the throw is moderate, this isn't a big, "smell me!" kind of scent. But i can put it on at bed time and wake up in the morning still able to smell The Girl wafting around me.

Edited by Hillary

My nose says "Loves Baby Soft with Vanilla and Woods"

The Girl is creamy and velvety vanilla musk with a hint of florals - it's so well blended that I can't pick out the jasmine or ylang ylang at all. It has a perfect wood note (no pencil shavings here).

The bottle has a beautiful label that fits the scent perfectly. Love it!

Edited To Add:

Great lasting power - It still smelled great after 8 hours!

Edited by Maidenhell

I'm not getting the vanilla sugar scent that others are picking up on. Instead, my skin is giving me white crystalline . . . soft, shivering, with a touch of jasmine that breaks through the crystal aspect of The Girl. I'm also getting the white musk and amber, but they are softer and more in the background. It's softly floral, but with an edge to it that is chilling.

I really, really like this one, and, as some others have said, it's one that I can definitely see wearing year-round.

I love this scent so much! I am glad my instincts were correct. As soon as I saw the notes "birch" and "immortelle" I was like, MINE!!!

I immediatley applied this to my wrist when I came home this afternoon (the box came today) and I was in instant heaven. It is a soft smell but has amazing staying power! its been over 4 hours and it still smells great. I can definately pick put the white amber and pale musk, even a little of the jasmine. The birch was there upon application but faded a bit. No ylang ylang though. Ooh its so good.

I used to have this perfume from the company and it was called Spell. They dont make it anymore and I rationed that stuff out hardcore but in the end I used the last drop and was very sad. But The Girl smells almost exactly like it, just minus the alcohol!! a major win.

The Girl rules. I think I might need a backup bottle.

Edited by Duskinhereyes

The Girl - How is it possible that Beth is making so many floral blends lately that are to die for? I haven't been digging on florals in a couple of years, but suddenly, all these new ones are just amazing! This is no exception. In the bottle, it didn't smell like much to me and I didn't think I'd like it, but as soon as it hit my skin -- wow. It's sooo pretty! It's got a very ethereal feel about it, even though it's not subtle. The star jasmine and the musk are the most prominent notes, yet the jasmine doesn't overpower the scent at all. Behind the jasmien and muask are the white amber and what I'm guessing is the immortelle and davana (not familiar with either note). These notes all blend together to make the most lovely, feminine, bewitching fragrance. It's highly floral and feminine, yet it doesn't send me screaming for the hills. I'm in love!

Oh, wow! This scent is amazing!!

On the skin: sweet, subtle goodness! It is such an innocent scent. This doesn't smell like floral scents normally do... So nice!

The Girl gives me the same impression as Regan whose description reads 'sweet orchid vanilla'.

Both are innocent with a full bodied sweetness. This is a bit less "young" than Regan and more wearable for me. Very much what I imagine what a Flower Fairy's wedding scent would smell like... if she were around my age :)

I am also reminded of Delight which is an unabashed 'girly' floral that just works somehow despite my misadventures with Jasmine.

The Star Jasmine in this had me kind of worried by it is just so pretty.

Also keep thinking I smell Honeysuckle, actually.

Later on I do find the Birch, so maybe this is partially the scent of a Forest Fairy, too.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

OMG! The lab nailed this one right on the head. "Seductive", "elusive" and "spellbinding" describe The Girl perfectly. This is could easily be someone's signature scent; it's so beautiful.

At first all I could smell were the florals and I was 'meh', but after it dried, The Girl blossomed into this rich, warm musky amber. The description says "crystalline" - I'm picturing a deep, glowing, golden citrine.

I'm going through my decants, testing one a day, I picked The Girl first; it's going to be hard for the others to live up to her. I'm going to have to scrape to find the money for a bottle. I can't get over how captivating this is.

Edit: Through dishes, laundry, supper prep... The Girl has lasted through it all. Faded, but still there. Awesome staying power!

Edited by wl552

I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as do...I normally like a heavier scent even in the summer. This is a very light ethereal scent that is truly gorgeous. I rarely wear florals but I would make an exception in this case. The Girl has a light musk scent that is very feminine, soft, dreamy and appealing. The birch adds a touch of the outdoors and the star jasmine brings a distinct sweetness in that pulls everything together. So far, this is my favorite of the new releases. :wub2:

The Girl is a beautiful, but very light scent. It clings to the skin and fades after a few hours. Its mostly a mix of birch, amber, and a vanilla-esque musk with just a bit of well-blended florals. Jasmine and ylang-ylang are both normally very strong on my skin, but I can't even pick them out. This is one elusive vampire though, the scent is really light! But its gorgeous and a new favourite Halloweenie. :vamp:

Edited by TheIceMaiden

On me, this is mostly a vanilla-y amber musk. It's light, though, with a hint of flowers. I like it. It reminds me of L'Estate, even though they smell nothing alike. I'd say they're the same genre-- lots of delicious, pale amber and musk and light flowers.

This might be bottle worthy...

I got a decant of this after reading the will call reviews and I must say, I think I am in the minority in that I don't like it one bit!

on my skin I can smell amber and musk but something is turning those smells very masculine on me. I don't get florals, I get mens aftershave. The staying power is immense. 6 hours later and it is still going strong.

I didn't order a decant of this at first because jasmine and ylang-ylang are usually not good notes for me - but after reading reviews, I decided to jump in and grab one. SO glad I did - the main notes on me are the white amber and the musk - and it is beautiful and lasting and I can't stop smelling myself! Even my DD who is not a fan of BPAL said this was bottle-worthy! Love it!

oh my god i LOVE this! buying a bottle promptly! this is BEAUTIFUL...and reminiscent of some scent i've tried somewhere, but even better. it's what i always hoped snow white would be on me. it's like a creamy white scent-the pale musk is gorgeous! it's really difficult to pick out notes-it's more like they blend together seamlessly to make a stunningly beautiful combination! this is wintry to me, but not with any aquatic or pine notes.

Edited by theseagrows

In the Imp: Very delicate and nice. I can barely smell what seems to be vanilla, but I'm guessing it must be the amber mixing with one of the other notes. Can pick up light musk and the slightest suggestion of woodsiness from the birch as well.

Wet: This is flat out cool! I just put the stuff on and it's easy to tell how well all the different scents mingle. Very creamy smooth but not overly sweet. Musks tend to be a hit or miss with me and this paler variety works perfectly with the flowery/exotic ylang ylang. I would not consider this a casual scent in that it's definitely a deviation from the norm of "pretty". I had to look up what immortelle smelled like because I couldn't put my finger on what was giving this such an unusually pure yet... tainted, sort of effect? I believe it's the culprit, in a good way. It's as if you took a sheet of white silk and then let a swirl of gray watercolors slowly seep into the material, giving something innocent a quiet yet unnerving edge.

Dry: Gosh, I don't know what to think of this one. I love how unusual it is but at the same time that's its biggest "detriment" because it doesn't easily fit into a particular mood I could associate it with, which is usually the deciding factor for what I decide to apply day by day. I could call it detached, but at the same time it feels as if a heady mist is clinging to your skin.

Verdict: Okay. I know this is going to sound crazy, but the final connection I came up with for this is "Voldemort". HA. I know, ironic that one of the most famous villains around could be related to a perfume oil called "The Girl", but I seriously find the similarities to be spot on. This scent is eerie in its difference, but there are traces of what used to be human in the background. A whiff of natural skin musk, a primal slithering intelligence. I think this is awesome but for me it doesn't have that "emotional" link I can draw between the scent and myself.

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Balame

On my skin, this blend is best described as Ylang Ylang, Soft Musk, and Vanilla. I get no Jasmine, which is good for me as that can be a death note on my skin.

I'm definitely considering a full bottle of this scent.

This completely makes up for Antique Lace and Snow White both being total fail on me!!! It's like what both of them could have been, but aren't. Thank you Beth! :) This is a beautiful soft vanilla and musk scent, and it LASTS! I tried it on at 1:30, and it is still noticeable at 8:30. In my book, that is impressive. And the scent hasn't morphed much, but remained true, a lovely, soft and slightly powdery vanilla, though it may have had a more visible floral component initially. I would never have tried it without those will-call reviews, because it has jasmine and ylang ylang-yet I LOVE IT!!! Bottle purchase, maybe two.

I wasn't really sure what "crystalline" meant, but now that I've smelled The Girl I totally get it. Crystalline indeed! It smells like warm vanilla and giant sugar crystals enveloped in musk. I dig it.

After reading the reviews, I couldnt wait to try this! The reviews were saying vanilla musk, and I thought, that sounds warm and that sounds perfect for me! It's not warm at all, but it is still a stunningly beautiful scent!

I do get the sweet soft vanilla smell, but this is a cold scent. Crystalline is a good description. I think i can smell the amber and the musk. And the vanilla tone might be coming from the immortelle? (Immortelle is Helichrysum too: a strong straw-like, fruity smell, with a honey and tea undertone). I dont smell the jasmine at all, which is very strange ;)

Bottle!

Edited by CaudaPavonis

In the decant - I put in for a decant of this one the night the update went live strictly because silver birch is my favorite kind of tree, and I had no idea what it would smell like but whatever, it had my favorite tree in it! :lol: Then it got rave reviews at Will Call AND IT DESERVED EVERY ONE OF THEM. I rarely buy backups, but if this smells as good on me as it does in the bottle, it is backup worthy. It's a high, light sweetness that's so perfectly balanced I can't pick out any individual notes. One of those "you smell good", not "your perfume smells good" blends.

On me - not a morpher! In a way it reminds me of Dia (which I still kick myself for not getting a bottle), I think it must be the white amber and pale musk (assuming that's similar to Dia's white musk) that are the most prominent on me. Davana is good to me too - I adore everything about Ether. Gotta be honest, I'm not a jasmine fan in the slightest (and the GC's I've tried that have star jasmine in them have been "no"'s), and I don't notice it at all in here. This is a very clear, sweet but clean scent. Not dark and heady, not knock-you-down foody or floral sweet, but beautifully balanced. Again - it's a "you smell amazing", not "your perfume smells amazing!"

Dry - this LASTS. I first tested this several nights ago and it had some serious staying power for hours without going wonky or powdery. The only change is that a hint of wood notes come out a bit (I guess this must be the silver birch!) as it dries, and then it remains pretty constant. I can see this one wearing beautifully in summer or winter - summer because of how clear and almost refreshing it is, and winter because it's so white and crystalline.

Lurrrrve!

I hate to say it, but it smells a bit 'off' on me. It turns into licorice on me. Why are you doing this to me The Girl? We could've had so much fun together.