The tattie-bogle, tall an' prood.
But certie, she wis smairt an' braw,
A bonnie lass, tho' made o' straw.

Her gowden hair wis made o' oo.
Her dentie goon when it wis new
Langsyne, hid been the guidwife's best.
Sae trigly wis the bogle drest!

The beasts they cam' frae a' the airts.
(The tod ran tours frae furrin' pairts.)
They cam' by day, they cam' by nicht,
To see a maist byordnar sicht.

An' craws an sparras by the score,
A wale o' burds, mair nor afore.
The fermer roared an' raged aboot.
'A'll cast yon tattie-bogle oot!'

Pair tattie-bogle, she wis wae.
'Eh!' said the houlet, 'Whits a dae?'
He flew doon frae the elder tree.
'Noo, dry yer e'en an' herk tae me.

'See, lassie, tak ma guid advice.
There is nae yiss ye bein' nice.
Can ye nae glower an' skreich an' a'
Tae sen' thae cooardie burds awa'?'

The bogle grat nae mair: instead
'A'm much obleeged tae ye,' she said
'Ma voice is lood - jist like the craik!'
'Then sing,' he said, ' for ony sake!'

It chilled the verra bluid tae hear
The bogle's sang : frae far an' near
The burds rose up, a' frichtit sair
An' nivver cam back ony mair.

Sae should ye pass at skreich o' day
Alang the road frae Auchenblae,
An' hear a strange uncanny soun,
That scares the burds for miles aroon,

A soon like pincils on a sclate,
Be on yer way an' dinna wait.
Ye can be shair as onything
Ye've heard the tattie-bogle sing.

Hay, gunpowder, patchouli, autumn herbs, and sun-baked wood.

In the vial, this is a very sharp, dry scent.

Freshly applied, it's scorched and desolate. This scarecrow may be in a field, but it's a field that's been harvested and only has the stumps of the plants remaining, waiting to be plowed under. You know those post-apocalyptic movies where there's the obligatory scene with the main character looking out over an utter wasteland? This is the smell of that scene.

As it dries, it gets slightly lighter and prettier. The herbs are coming out a little bit.

Dry-down, the wood comes out and it turns into high-school wood shop, as almost always happens with wood notes on me. I just keep hoping. icon_sad.gif

imp: burnt wood and fresh herbs. sort of a green-over-black scent.

wet: woods and dry, cracked leather yet with a breezy hint of something vibrant and green right at the last.

dry: the burnt wood scent fades while the fresh green, herby scent remains. i never got anything that smell patchouli-ish, but it may have added to the desolate feel of the wood. there is still a lingering feel of leather after all though...

Tattie Bogle - This gives me the feeling of sitting in a hay field all by myself, feeling kind of lost and sad. Another reviewer used the term "desolate", which is a perfect description for the feel of this scent. It's the scent of dry, brittle hay. I detect a hint of the "autumn herbs". I don't really smell the woods, and the patchouli is very, very light, but definitely what gives this scent depth and earthiness. It's not a fragrance I'd wear on it's own, but it's interesting enough that I definitely want to try layering it with some of the Pumpkin Patch scents.

I have this in a scent locket now -- it's ALL autumn herbs. I think it's one particular herb, actually, but not one I'm familiar with -- very sharp and clear, almost astringent. No hay or patch, no leathery sweetness. Not sure what to make of it, really.

In the imp, this smells like a dirty, gritty gunpowder note and aquatics. Strange.

I expected this to be earthy, dry, and amber-y, but it smells sort of moldy and aquatic on me. In particular, this is reminding me of Erik's soapy, tangy aquatic + moldy curtains smell. The patchouli comes out in the drydown and makes it slightly earthy. It's like Erik mixed with Hurricane on my skin.

I dunno about this one. It doesn't really smell like any of the listed notes to me. I guess it's good that I don't like Tattie Bogle; I don't need to try to track down more of this now, lol.

This is a cold scent. Someone else described it as desolate and I think that's most apt. The gunpowder takes on a metallic tang on my skin, and the hay is very dry. The patchouli adds a little depth. It takes a while on me for the herbs and woods to come out, but once they do it warms the blend up a little... but not by much. This is very evocative for sure, but the entire blend is just a little too cold and hard for me.

I get the gritty gunpowder out of this as well. While its drying its all gunpowder and herbs. Its a little sharp smelling and it keeps morphing from the gunpowder to the herbs and back again. When its completely dried there's no hint of the herbs or gunpowder on me, its very aquatic smelling.

Its interesting and unusual, I rather like it, but am not in love with it. Odds are I'll pass it along to someone else, so they can give it a try, just because its a rare-ish scent.

Sniffed: Golden oil. Sharp, herbal, biting. I get gunpowder, metallic and harsh, first.Then a bit of sour hay and dry warm wood and general herbal greenery. Definitely masculine.

Wet: Still very harsh and almost - chemical, or like leather - I presume that's the gunpowder. This reminds me a lot of Hessian of the Hollow. It literally burns my nose when I sniff closely. A little more sour hay and I get the patchouli now, it's strong and masculine but without being dirty/rooty/hippieish.

Dry: A lot drier and smoother and much more integrated. That bite has worn off, and now it's like old gunpowder, a sort of rusted metal note, or like old farm machinery - quite evocative. The hay has softened too, less sour and sharp, more dry, warm, and a tad dusty. The wood (sandalwood is definitely present) has gone a bit a dusty and amped up overall, and is *almost* too dry/dusty, but not quite.

Later: Patchouli has amped, but like everything else, has become smoother, almost refined, though it remains very masculine. While I still get the herbs, they aren't the bitter raw greenery they were in the wet and early dry stages, but drier and more muted.

Summary: This scent feels warm, autumnal, outdoorsy, manly - it's a roll in the hay with a tractor farmhand on a golden October afternoon. I wouldn't call it sexy, but it's extremely evocative, nostalgic, and comforting. I shall be seeking out more. Good throw and longevity.

I really wish I could get a bottle of this, and covet more greatly!

In the tester: Hay and sunshine and patch.

Wet: All the notes are present and are doing that wonderful combination thing. :)

The dry-down: It's very much as though I was standing at the edge of a noon-time woods, off to walk in the fields where some patchouli-wearing folks have been shooting at hay-stuffed targets.

There was a bottle of this at the August DSWC; I would have been happy to buy it then and there. The hay note is the same one as in Hay Moon, if memory serves.

Arlith was kind enough to send me a testable driblet of this :wub2:

In the vial, oh yes... sweet hay, bitter leaves, that wonderful airy feel that Beth magically creates.

On my skin, the gunpowder comes out - not a strong, Agnes Nutter gunpowder, just a light haze of char & hot metal. The wood is here, too, dry & singed. Honestly, there's a trace of jacket-potatoes-done-in-the-fire here, and it's fantastic :lol: Charred tinfoil, scorched tattie skins, wet leaves underfoot, and a snap in the air... the Boys are off playing at target practice with someone's muzzle-loader, and some clever soul hefted hay bales down from the barn so we don't get soggy bums from the damp ground. This is the smell of a grubby, idle autumn afternoon's camping, poking at the fire & scalding lips on enamel cups.

I adore this, as I suspected I would, and am both thrilled & heartbroken to have tried it... I hope beyond hope that I can find more some day :wub2:

I got a testable sniffie of this... thanks babe! You know who you are!

Okay, on wet, the patchouli/wood combination is actually kind of offputting. Combined with the airiness, it smells like woodsmoke... but like rotted wood kinda woodsmoke. Perhaps it is the gunpowder? If I recall correctly, that tends to be a note that is somewhat acrid on me.

It dries to hay/patchouli blend which is fairly masculine, screams autumn, and in general smells like a pretty good looking guy. You know the type - the kind that has blue blood, rides horses like he was born to it, has wonderful steady hands AND has whisked you away to his centuries old country manor for a fall weekend.

I am not putting this on mr. zee_zee for FEAR of it smelling fabulous on him, and then we're both up $h!t creek.

To me, Tattie Bogle is the perfect autumn scent. I'm starting to realize that all of my reviews are what childhood memories scents bring back to me, but you'll just have to bear with me. :)

I live in Florida now, but I used to live way up north where there was actually fall. Every year, without fail, we would go to a fall festival. There would be the amber scent of dried out cornstalks, the sweet smell of freshly cut hay on the hayrides, and best of all, the spicy scent of the bonfires that we would all gather around as it started to get dark. This perfume captures all of these things perfectly.

This is a scent that I am going to have to keep on my person at ALL times here in the Florida autumn. It's the only way I'll ever be able to remember leaves that turn colors!

The notes in this scared me especially the patchouli (I was intrigued) …. unfortunately when I put it on it smelled like braai wood, with a touch of salami. Made me hungry! Had some sweetness trying to come out though, sweet lemon or lime!

Got this as a frimp from bookandbroom.

Definitely autumn in a vial, this one, but not spiced apple cider warm toasty fire autumn. This is cold autumn wind rattling dead leaves and ivy vines over *wet* dirt and *wet* hay. As it dries, I'm getting a little sharpness that might be the gunpowder. It's not smoky, though.

This one reminds me of Thanksgivings at my grandmother's house in Tennessee, way out in the country. I'm holding on to this one unless I find guy that will let me put it on him.

This was probably one the the surprise hits from my testing at NYCC. I adored it so much I bought it outright.

ITB: Smokey and surprisingly green and aquatic. At this point, I was not super interested, but it turned into something wonderful on my skin.

Wet: The smoke really blooms and blends amazingly with the hay, which is deepened by the earthiness of the patchouli. The herbs are very much the deep green type, and I am getting almost no wood.

Drying: This is Halloween: San Francisco's smokey cousin. It has that same wet, almost rotting leaf scent, but instead of foggy salt air, this one is smoke and dryness. But despite that, there is a very similar feel during the wet and drying stages to H:SF, which is one of my favorite scents.

Dry: The wood is the major player now, and it almost smells smoked. Like wood that's been drying next to a fire that has taken on a little of the scent but doesn't smell burned. The patch is still noticeable, but unlike most times, it's very much a background player, deepening and dirtying up the wood. It has a very evocative fall feeling to it, like open fields and camping. I can see myself getting a ton of use out of this one and am so glad it wound up coming home with me.

The gunpowder smoky scent was much more prominent in the bottle and wet. Now that this has dried down a few hours later, it's all green herbs and clean smelling. Maybe the hay is coming out too... but this goes through quite a morph for me! So fun. ;)

This is for the 2014 version.

In the bottle: Freshly-mown hay, drying in the sun, that smells as if someone had sprinkled patch, herbs, and a few grains of gunpowder amongst the tied stacks.

Wet: The gunpowder has come into its own, wafting above the other notes.

The dry-down: Now the gunpowder has settled back down to mix and meld w/ the other notes. It's just a tad on the sweet side, and therefore I would say, on my skin, this is a little different from the 2009 gift-with-purchase imp. My review of the 2009 version can be found by scrolling up. I still like it; it's unisex, certainly.

ETA: thanks to Beth for bringing this back. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

i love it, which is not surprising to me at all. i love all the sharp, bitter, musty scents. anything with gunpowder is guaranteed to win me.

i find it very comforting. smells dry and warm to me, without being cloying. it reminds me of the old barn on my parent's land. hay and wood and leather and old clothes. i have trouble with a lot of the more "perfumey" scents; they tend to give me a headache. but this is one that i can slather on without fear. whether or not the people around me will be put off by me smelling like a barn is not my problem. :D

The gunpowder smoky scent was much more prominent in the bottle and wet. Now that this has dried down a few hours later, it's all green herbs and clean smelling. Maybe the hay is coming out too..

Yeah, that's it for me too. I'm not getting huge hits of patchouli, and it's a much cooler and sweeter scent than I expected. I got four Weenies and this one is the clear winner, I'm surprised how good it is on me.

Oh, this is lovely. Not what i was expecting, but still lovely. I tested my decant right after i got it, and the primary smell was gunpowder, which is weird because I have never smelled gunpowder and still instantly could recognize the smell.

After a week or so of settling down, now it's a warm, golden, slightly sweet, well blended cologne smell, slightly more on the masculine side, but still unisex. The gunpowder is still there faintly, but I can't pick out any of the notes. It definitely does give off the vibe of a sunny field in early autumn, or at least rolling around in one.

I'm not sure how to describe it- it's very faintly like the cologne smell I get from Galvanic Goggles, but less strong, sharp and metallic. I'm pondering whether i need a bottle.

This started out smelling exactly like my dad's old Carhart work coat when he'd been outside in the cold. I swore I'd never put this on again - my dad was a jerk.

But now that it's dried down, it's sweeter and less harsh. There's less gunpowder, though it's still present in the background. Now it reminds me of my mom, my sister and I in the fall - exploring in the cold, making forts with sticks and dried weeds, competing over who can shoot the most pop cans.

Wow. Just wow.

2014 Version

In the bottle: Grasses, sap, maple-ish notes. Tobacco, almost? And a bit of citrus. Huh.

Wet on my skin: Tobacco and hay? I think that's how I'm interpreting the gunpowder.

Drydown: Pretty much the same, a little more light spices coming out.

To be fair, this was a decant for the boy, who likes these notes a lot more than I do. The throw was light-to-average and lasted for a few hours, which was a lot lighter than I was expecting. It's a good mix for those who like these kinds of notes (though I oddly didn't pick up much patchouli).

Edited by schneagl

2014 version

Hay, gunsmoke and autumn. This smells like fairly masculine gunsmoke and hay. Good throw, medium wearlength.

Two word summary: manly hay.

Will edit this review after mr. zee_zee has tried it out.

Woe and heartbreak! I wanted to love this so much--I bought a big bottle blind. In the bottle it's fine, a little green without being sharp, and a whiff of smoke. Promising! Exciting! I love smoke and hay!

On my skin, though? Musty, dusty, charred food that you have to scrape off the grill. No hay scent at all. No green. No burning vegetation, just old burned things. Oddly heavy. The dust reminds me a little of the dust note in Erik, if you've tried it--except that I LOVE Erik and it's one of my favorite scents ever, and the dust retreats there. Tattie bogle goes oddly "perfumey" on me, which is puzzling.

I'm going to age it and see what happens because I really do want to love it, but I may have to swap it off.