Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hay, gunpowder, patchouli, autumn herbs, and sun-baked wood.

2014 version

I got this for the husbeast but I had to give it a try before I handed it over ;) Hay, herbs, and a titch of nose-wrinkling gunpowder in the decant. Wet, it's very similar but with the addition of smoke. Actually, it smells a bit like charred meat and adds a very disconcerting feel to the blend. It honestly kind of creeps me out... Luckily it doesn't last long and the blend settles into a somewhat masculine-leaning, slightly cologne-ish mix of hay, herbs, smoke, and something that's pulling a bit aquatic to my nose. I definitely feel it could be unisex but I'm looking forward to trying it on its intended victim: the husbeast :D

I guess i don't like gunpowder. :-/ very smoky and, while the drydown is nice, it isn't worth waiting for. Pass.

This was a scent that turned out to be a surprise hit for me. It evokes its namesake very well...

At first I imagine a dusky, cold afternoon. In the middle of a field the scarecrow's limbs shudder slightly, the chill wind animating its tattered features.

For a while all I get is that cool outdoorsy feeling, mostly due to the sharp gunpowder and herbs. There's a definite "bite" here.

But as it dries the hay, patch and wood take over and suddenly the field is bright and glowing. The sun-warmed wood smells very natural and makes me want to take a midday nap.

It's such an evocative and fall-centric scent that it's not something I wear often - but I'm glad to have a few imps to slather when the mood strikes me.

As others have said, it reminds me very specifically of hayrides, corn mazes, etc. Makes me think of a Halloween spirit, for sure.

Mysterious, a little creepy(!) but somehow comforting at the same time. Earthy, dry, smoky, metallic.

Edited by Balame

TattieP1130163.jpg

I seem to have a penchant for the oddities in the BPAL collection and Tattie Bogle is no exception. Autumn is my favourite time of year, so it's always nice to find a scent that evokes the season without crutching on pumpkins and spices.

In the bottle, the scent of gunpowder is strongest, which might be off-putting to some, but I find it strangely comforting—sort of like the wafts of gasoline one might inhale when filling up at a station. It dials down upon application, but lingers, mingling with the scent of hay and dry woods. Unlike other blends with similar notes, such as Agnes Nutter, this is gunpowder that hasn't been ignited. Instead, it's been safely stored in wooden barrels and tucked away into a shed alongside bales of hay and other rustic sundries. The whole scene plays out like a day spent in an old barn, sifting through straw, while old farm machinery idles quietly in the distance. It maintains its presence over time, and is also wonderfully dry, without any sweetness creeping up into the blend.

Overall, Tattie Bogle's found a place in my proverbial top ten, and has left me pining for autumn, even though we're just beginning to emerge from the icy bite of winter!

Edited by nathanielhebert

this was a trading post frimp.

this is one of those bpals that is simply a gorgeous perfume. it's strong, it's smokey. I get fantastic sour resins and rich woods. it really does evoke smokey autumnal air.

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago when I was curious about how the lab does gunpowder and it's been one of my most reached for scents ever since.

(2014 Version)

In the bottle, wet, and dry, this is strongly consistent on me, rather than morphing dramatically as other BPALs do. It's so coherent it's almost like a word being spoken - or sung, low, for a long time.

The bottle, sniffed, exudes an astringent smell I will call the hay and gunpowder -- a dry smell, mixed with greener plants. I don't get the smokiness -- just a sharp, stinging version of gunpowder.

Wet and dry, these notes remain prominent. Long into drydown, there is a little sweetness from the patchouli and the wood warms in around the hay and herbs, merging with them. I agree with "sour resins", above.

A haunting concept, executed beautifully. I don't quite know what to make of Tattie Bogle, but she is herself. A work of art.

This Tattie Bogle was a gift (thank you!!!) so I don't know its vintage. The gunpowder is the most prominent note on me, especially when wet.  Gunpowder that's in a very unsafe place with warm hay and bone-dry woods.  If you lit a match, this would explode, and there would be lots of fuel for the flames.  The drydown is softer, bright autumn day, cologne-like, definitely on the masculine end of the unisex spectrum, but still with that bite of gunpowder. 

This starts off as gunpowder, patchouli, and herbs on me, with a bit of hay. But the hay note increases in strength with wear, and the gunpowder fades, so that in the end, it is mostly a warm hay scent with touches of patchouli, herbs, and wood. However, the herbs smell somewhat soapy on me.

I'm glad I got to try this, but I know I wouldn't reach for it over other hay scents (like Eastern Comma or Hay Moon 2020).