Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Bacchanalia

A boisterous, belligerent, festive blend that lends to mad revelry, overindulgence and excess. Perfect for a weekend bender. Earthy musks combined with a beastial civet bouquet, a hint of sweet grape and orange blossom.

Origins - part of a discontinued imp lot bought fresh from the lab off of eBay.

Preconceived notions - I'm not a fan of grape at all, so I probably won't like this, but I am not afraid of civet blends. It's at least worth trying.

Wet - Very, very grape, with something deeper underneath. It almost immediately morphs on me to baby powder and dirty diaper with a tinge of grape. I really doubt it's the civet; this is very similiar to the morph that Haunted and a few other scents have had on me, and I think the culprit is black musk. I know that the combination of amber and black musk smells like this on me, but I don't know if this contains amber, or if the black musk is doing it all on its own.

Dry - no change...powder, dirty diaper and the tiniest bit of grape. Obviously this is not for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 1.

In the bottle: defianately grape, and orange. I can definately pick those out. Can't sense the musk though.

wet on the skin: still very grape but I can pick out the musk. It has almost a candyish scent, very sweet indeed.

dry down: the grape scent fades and out comes the musk and civet, but it smells wonderful. Very smokey, powdery, and just....sexy. I was worried that civet wouldn't work on me but it does.

5 minutes into it: I can still smell the sweetness of the grapes, and the smokiness and powder scent from the musk and civet, and just a tiny tang of the orange but I do have to search for it, if I didn't know it was in there I wouldn't have been able to pick it out.

overall....I am very glad I picked up this scent. I love it!!!! Very sexy scent indeed :P

I love sweet red wine, but sadly, because of my migraines, I cannot drink it all that often, so I loved the description of this scent, hoping it might be an aromatic substitute of sorts.

Unfortunately, as lovely as Bacchanalia smells in the vial, and it is a heady, very thick wine scent to me - I don't get much musk, and wouldn't know civit if it bit me, so I'm not sure there - there seems to be something about the grape/wine note that affects me much the same as too much red wine would and I quickly start to get "Danger Will Robinson!" warning signals from my brain that this scent must be removed from my body post haste, lest my brain make me regret it all day. I blame the wine, because the scent and the reaction are quite similar to the reaction I had to Madrid, thought I suppose it could be something else.

I should also note that my imp of this is clearly very old and the oils are beginning to separate, so I am not sure how true of a scent I am getting from this one or whether the beginnings of the disintegration of the oil could be causing some of the negative physical reaction. At any rate, it is clear that this puppy needs to not be on me again.

Origin: received as a frimp by the lovely OriginalWacky.

Wet: Mmm, I like this. Very sexy in a Maenad, get-blackout-drunk-and-tear-some-men-to-pieces sort of way. I'm usually not a big fan of fruit in scents, so I don't know why the grape part doesn't turn me off - maybe the civet is overcoming it?

Dry-down: Waa, it's gone all stale old-lady powder. I bet it's the musk. I think musk doesn't like me. :P

Edited by roesmoker

First sniff: Orange blossom, with a heaping helping of darkness underneath.

Wearing: Damn. I was hoping the civet would bugger off, as I almost couldn’t smell it in the vial, but it’s right there taunting me. The orange blossom is a really nice overtone, and generally works well on me, but it just isn’t enough to beat the civet beast into submission.

I normally enjoy civet, but everything about Bacchanalie goes horribly awry on my skin.

First on, this is very grape... but a medicinal one, like grape flavored cough syrup. Thick and sickeningly sweet, with a heavy medicinal edge. After a few minutes the orange blossom and civet come out. The orange blossom turns acrid and sharp on my skin, as it often does. The civet, which I normally love, smells musky and dirty underneath the grape and orange blossom.

I'm going to stay far away from this one... it wrecks havoc with my skin chemistry :P

at first: i won this from the lab in an ebay auction. very grape-y and dark.

on: lots of grape and musk. very sweet and fruity.

half an hour later: darker now. lots of the earthy musks mentioned in the notes, with just a hint of grape.

1.5 hours later: an earthy darkness and a fruity sweetness.

3 hours later: more powdery with a hint off sweetness.

overall: this is lovely. i'm glad i have this bottle to use.

In Bottle: Wine

On Skin: Wow!! Very boozy, the wine is almost a syrup. Sticky but also a bit powdery. The musks are quiet and hiding... they're there but playing second fiddle right now. I like it at first but then the civet blows everything away. It turns very, VERY feral on me and I get the baby diaper smell. And that is a scent I do NOT want to smell like. Eeek!! The orange doesn't ever seem to surface for me...

Bacchanalia

Grape. Wine-y grape. Not too bad for a grape note (or at least better than I thought it would be). Then it starts to get musty and a touch powdery. I think that is the musk-civet combo. This doesn't quite work on me, but it is quite a bit better than I thought it would be.

In the vial: sweet, deep, purple grapes. Juicy.

On my skin: Ew. It went from lovely to ugly in about 10 seconds. As it was drying I could still smell the grapes and the juiciness. But after it dried the civet bouquet came out in full force and - on my skin at least - it began to smell like bad breath and something very mulchy. I can't get past the bad breath factor very well. In between all that I do get a powdery sweetness but it's just not for me.

1 out of 5 stars.

This is pungent grape on first application, quickly followed by a boozy musk. It's sweet, but also a little sweaty, and wobbly around the knees. Perfectly matched to its description, really.

As it dries, the sweetness gives way to the musk, and a creeping staleness that again, is exact in tone. I even get a hint of something like cigarette smoke. In the end, it's not something I'd wear, but I'm impressed by it just the same.

This very, very much conjures up exactly what it's supposed to, even in the imp. It smells like grapey musk debauchery, with an earthy, musky, animalistic base and a sweet, heady overlay on top of it.

The civet isn't too strong, although you can tell it's there. I should that civet isn't necessarily insta-death for a scent on me the way it is on a lot of other people, but it is kind of dicey. Here it seems to behave itself relatively well, at least at first.

However, as it settles in, the sweetness ofthe grape and orange blossom do fade a bit, and the civet and darker musks become more prominent. Still very much in keeping with its theme, but not really something I could see myself wearing. I think this is one of the ones that, while expressing admiration at Beth's artistry, I'm still going to have to swap.

Grade: A for accuracy, C+ for wearability

Bacchanalia - The first time I tried this blend, I was using an aged imp of oil and didn’t care for it. I tested it again from a fairly fresh imp, and I liked it much better. It’s thick and full of juicy grapes. The grape is definitely the dominant note, although I smell the musk, but it seems to be more of a backdrop for the grape. Bacchanalia is incredibly sweet and bordering on too juicy-sweet for my taste, yet it’s still an intriguing scent. I’ll have to try this some more.

Bottle: mmmmusk, and civet.

Wet: the same, a bit sweet..definitely red musk in play.

Dry: the grape and orange are in the background, but add an edge - still mainly musk and civet, I'd call this masculine but the sweet lends itself to a not merely masculine affect, if that makes sense.

Later: deeper and broader, but same basic personality - animalistic, a little sweet, and the warm red-golden glowy loveliness of an ebbing fire late in the night.

In the vial: straight up wine.

On my skin: wine-y grape. Similar to non-alcoholic wine. Maybe a little musk lurking underneath?

Drydown: this gets a dusty feeling to it as it starts to settle down. Musk and civet combining are the only things I can attribute to that. Not quite what I expected but I'm surprised it didn't give me the 'ewwww', either (by the notes)!

As soon as I saw the imp I knew I was going to like this one (the oil is a dark reddish color). I was right. It reminds me a bit of Sin -- it has that dark, musky, powerful scent. I thought that with civet and grape it might smell a bit like Puck, but it doesn't. The grape just gives it a sweetness and prevents the blend from smelling too musky and too strongly of civet. I don't seem to be getting nearly as much grape as other reviewers got -- this is really musky on me. I'm not complaining! I like musk MUCH better than grape. If this scent were ever resurrected I'd be tempted to get a bottle. (But it seems to have been pretty unpopular, so I doubt it'll be resurrected.)

this scent is sexy. my imp is very aged, thick like the best kept snake oil, and ripe with grapes. it's very musky, and to my nose is a cousin to snake charmer or queen of spades.

if you like those heavy scents with lots of throw and intrigue, you may want to try bacchanalia :P

I got to try this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle courtesy of JennyGardneer (a tarted imp!)

in imp: red musk & baby wipes. very bitter, astringent.

on wet: 9:40 - still very astringent, still red musk & baby wipes.

drydown: 10:00 - musks (red & black is my guess), still, something astringent, though not like baby wipes any more.

11:00 - I'm getting no grapes here, but this is turning into... morning breath is my best way of describing it. Um. Not of the good.

next morning - I fell asleep and if I put my nose to my hand, I can still smell where I put the bit of oil. Now? Now it smells lovely. Woody with a hint of red musk that's not bitter any more. However, I'm not waiting through at least two hours of ick just to get to this pretty scent. I'm glad to have tried this, because now I don't have to chase after a very HTF scent!

From JennyGardener and the Civet Evangelism sniffing circle.

Sweet wine and sex. That's how I picture this one.

I think people shouldn't be as scared of civet as they are. Anyone who likes a strong musk should do fine with civet. This makes me think of a purple Smut sometimes. Although the longer it goes on, the less sweet and the more musky it gets. It's not a wear to the office scent :P

Once it's over and dry it's more like sweet, fermented wine and sex...ambiance of the after-after party. And well done, I must say.

Beautifully tarted lab-labeled imp from the generous JennyGardener, Civeteer amongst Civeteers:

Sniffing imp: Sweet, grape-y deliciousmusky old feetness.

Wait a minute!

*sniffs again*

Sweet, grape delicious, sweet grape delicious...

Okay then!

Application: Sweet musky feet and bum

Good gravy!

*sniff*

Sweet musky feet and rubber bum

Oh my. No. That will not do.

*sniffs with head away from arm*

Now this is odd.

When my head is not right up against the scent I get pleasant wafts of sweetness and a little grape and a little of this and that, but if I put my nose against it to pinpoint...

Musky feet, used condoms, ass...make that slightly floral ass.

Hmmm...

O-kay, a vivid image of bacchanalia perhaps, but not quite what I had in mind.

Dry: Better, but not quite...well, you know...

At this point it's a reasonable musky, unwashed sex scent, but I wouldn't wear it. Why not? Well, that's a nice scent to create yourself, but putting in on without the personal effort entailed feel like walking into someone else's bedroom the morning after a particularly eventful night. Good for them, but kind of icky for you.

Plus, on me it goes kind of rubbery and nobody wants that.

ETA:

Okay full disclosure:

On complete dry-down this devolves to a dark, kind of flattish musk that's not bad and throws a bit. There's a spice in there that's almost barely pleasant. It's not all that bad. But the previous review is much funnier, isn't it?

Edited by SueDonym

One of the last to try from the Civet Evangelism Circle.

Wet: a touch of grape or fruit, lots of musk and maybe a touch of civet

Dry: as this dries, it gets really soft, and seems to melt into my skin. There’s a soft floral note here, but still lots of musk. The civet is here too, not obtrusive, but there at the base of the scent when I smell my arm deeply and close. At this point the musk is most prominent. There’s most definitely red musk here, and black too I think.

Overall: sometimes civet can go pretty wrong on me, here it behaves itself, surprisingly enough. Over time, this scent goes a bit powdery from the dark musk, but sexy too. Baudy is good word for this scent.

On me, this basically smells like red musk and civet. No grapes. No booze. Perhaps a tiny hint of orange blossom.

But LOADS of red musk, and this rivulet of something that smells darker and more ominous in it.

Yeah, not for me.