Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Persephone76

Jingo-Kogo v6

Words can seriously not express how good this is. Holy sh*t. I get creamy vanilla sandalwood that starts with a hint of orange and dries down to a sexy vanilla/sandalwood/riceflower which smells like the lovechild of Underpants and Castitas. I have little doubt this was a Shunga prototype, not only because of the name but because of the feel of it.

Instant classic. 5/5.

ETA: I agree with later reviews--there is something about this that is very similar to Glowing Vulva as well. I actually like it much better than GV, though.

Edited by Persephone76

Pregnant Japanese Empresses rushing into battle smell like heaven !!! Jingo Kogo

She smells like she bathed in vanilla oil before rushing off with her sword drawn thru the cherryblossoms... wind whipping thru her hair... Im getting musk, not sandalwood. And something fruit... plum wine? This is wet.

On my skin- been wracking brain all day to figure out what perfume it smells like. They handed me something on a card once as I strolled thru the perfume counters and I remember sniffing it all day.... buts it less vanilla more musk-plum wine-sakura-and some other white flower in there- I think rice flower, yes, I concur with Persephone. This is on, and it stayed that way all day. No change. Beautiful.

Edited by Tigrrrlily

In the bottle: Smelled quite like an orange creamsicle to me! I am still kicking myself for not having paid more attention to this one!

I never actually tried this one on, so I don't know about the dry down.

I'm going to have to agree with the first review - this reminds me of Underpants minus bourbon vanilla, and it has a lot in common with Glowing Vulva though slightly less vanilla, more riceflower/cream accord/sandalwood. When I tried Castitas bath oil, I remember wishing it came in perfume oil form - well, this is it with a dash of something extra that makes it pretty fab. Very wearable, simple but sexy.

In the bottle: Orange Creamsicle

On the skin: This is a beautiful creamy scent, with light notes of tangerines and something floral. Reminiscent of Glowing Vulva without the sharp teak note. This is my favorite of all the prototypes!

I adore this blend..I would say it is cousin scents with glowing vulva and maybe second cousin to underpants...I mean this because of the vanilla note...I would say it is the same vanilla that is used in both of these...I get a wonderful orange blossom smell...I know some have gotten orange creamsicles but I do not. I do not feel that this scent is foody at all.It has some very soft sandalwood in the background that really keeps the vanilla in that lovely warm zone without going foody...I get a VERY mild touch of cream and the most stunning of the notes is rice...I get the distinct starch like rice note...Seriously this is so lovely...it is such soft yet powerful scent...I really wish I would have gotten two...really

Oh man... this does begin as an orange creamsicle, and dries into this vanilla/sandalwood/musk with just a lovely hint of orange. It's creamy, and subtly sexy.

It's just the teensiest bit powdery (which can occasionally happen with sandalwood) but it's not a huge detractor. It's kinda like coming straight out of the bath feel.

I agree with the Shunga assessment, since it does have that same kind of vibe as the other Shungas.

I like it. Not well enough to sell my soul for, but I'd buy a bottle if this was released. Ever.

ETA: Now that Jingo-Kogo has had some time to age, I have to say that the orange note sticks a little longer but it's more of an orange rind kind of note, and it combines with the sandalwood which has mellowed out. Not so much creamy, but it's more smooth as this point. It's like orange scented sandalwood and I swear there is another blend that is very similar to this one. Can't quite put my finger on it at the moment, but when I do I'll make an edit on this post. I find J-K to be much more wearable at this juncture, and I really do like it alot. Perhaps not well enough to sell my soul for, but I would swap for it if given the chance.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This starts out with a sweet creamy orange note mixed with the powderiness of black opal. However...as it dries...it smells like a cross between a less sweetened black opal and orange creamsicle :eek:

It is lovely....but I will stick with my black opal.

In the Bottle ♦ If cream could be a hazy fragile flower and an orange could be morning light ... and you could catch the luminosity of their union with sandalwood shivered chopsticks and send it to sleep in a bottle ...

Calling this "Orange Creamsicle" is like calling the Sun yellow ... instead of pale silvered topaz on a frosty morning, or scandalously stripped lemon against an azure summer sky.

Initial Application ♦ The rice, sandalwood, and what I believe is vanilla musk (as opposed to straight vanilla) silently deepen their presence. Softly shifting touchable grains, the milky comfort of a young mother's love, the afterglow of serene confidence a strong woman has and can call at will.

Dry Down ♦ Sandalwood grazed by the fond almost whispered touch of vanilla and airy rice flower just kissed with orange petals. I think there may be white amber in here - just enough to pet. There's an energy like an orgasmic snake ... that coalesces in your mind right behind inhaling the scent. The scent itself is the glow of motherhood - everything that means. The innocence coming, the ferocity of love, the graceful ripened sexuality of being a woman ... There is also a weight or force to this delicate scent which should seem contrasting but instead implies the incredible presence and will of someone who will never need to shout to make things happen.

I have never been so moved by a perfume. This is personal. Intimate on every level and swirling gracefully among those levels, marking scars to rock to sleep along the way. Holding you the way a child would, holding you the way a mother would, but only in the soft sleeping rooms of your mind, so the rest of you is free to be a warrior.

Indescribably beautiful.

ETA: I think this may be Beth's finest work; in case I didn't make that clear.

Edited by ObsidianSwirl71

A ridiculously nice person sent me a little tester of this.

In the little imp, I definetly smell the orange.

Wet: Definite orange, it's a little powdery though, i'll see how it goes........

Drydown: I'm getting the orange creamsicle, but it's very light. It's also got almost an orange fizzy pop on the top of my skin, it's got just a tiny bit of throw. After about 15 minutes, the orange is fading away to a very nice creamy scent.

Its ending up being very nice, and creamy, it's really pleasant. I could definetly see myself getting an imp of this, probably not a full bottle, but it's nice enough to keep a little of it around.

Jingo-Kogo - When I first smelled this, I understood immediately how people could put it in a similar category to Underpants and Glowing Vulva. I'd add Inez to that category, too. When I first apply it, something really strong and almost astringent-like permeated the air, but that quickly subsides and I'm then able to smell a hint of of fresh-squeezed orange amid a swirl of vanilla musk and light resin/wood notes. This scent is absolutely gorgeous, but it's subtle on me and fades fairly quickly, but it's well worth reapplying. If this were to ever be released in a final form, I'd buy a whole bunch of bottles -- both to keep for myself and to give as gifts. I get the distinct feeling this is the kind of scent that you could give to anyone without worrying too much about personal scent preferences, since there's something about it that seems like it would have almost universal appeal.

If I had to guess at notes, I would guess vanilla musk, sandalwood, a hint of orange, and possibly even a dash of amber...and maybe a touch of a light floral like rice flower.

Edited to add that even though I'd put this in the same category as Underpants, GV, and Inez, when it comes to those scents, Jingo-Kogo kicks @$$ and takes names. It's a million kajillion times better than any of them. :)

Edited by edenssixthday

This was a generous sniffie from my scent cousin :wub2:

It's very light. Even slathered on I didn't get too much scent (maybe it's my allergic and stuffed nose).

It's a beautiful scent. Soft and serene and mellifluous if I may be a bit poetic. I like it a lot, particularly the sandalwood note.

Not so much the orange note when wet.

If it is released I will buy a few bottles, because it is very wearable. You can even go in the rush-hour metro wearing that and not offend anyone's nose.

I like it a lot, with my mind. It doesn't capture my heart. It's like a nice guy that we think would be a good mate and we decide with our logic to go out with. But there is something missing, that spark it's just not there.

If I were a guy, I would love to snuggle up with a girl smelling like this. I'm not sure I would be enticed to make love to, though.

I think Jingo-Kogo is a very personal scent and is not there to attract others. Which is perfectly fine by me, as I mostly want a scent for myself.

I was lucky enough to find a decant and I'm waiting for it to test again and see how I feel.

For now my bottom line is: this is many-bottles-worthy. But with and for my mind, not my heart.

I finally got around to testing this today and now I know what the fuss is about :D

This was gorgeous from the second I put it on. The scent stayed true as well. To my (imperfect) nose, it's all ginger and musk. Probably several musks. Divine. Really divine. Did I mention divine? Half an hour after I put it on, I was standing in line at the p.o., and it was wafting around me - strongly. Now it's two hours later, and it seems pretty faint. But it's soo worth reapplying. This goes straight into my Top Ten list.

There is absolutely nothing in the catalogue like Jingo-Kogo. There must have been a component issue, because it's not possible that it didn't meet Beth's expectations. Really. Not. Possible.

I'm with Obsidian Swirl on this amazing scent. It is refined sweet orange vanilla cream heaven in an imp. There is a drizzle of musk or amber or something else. As it dries down, it smells like something else, something that is sitting on the tip of my scent memory but won't come to the fore. A gentled, faded Chimera, perhaps?

I'll have to keep inhaling until it comes to me. No sacrifice too great.

Thanks to the generous person who allowed me to have the opportunity to fall so in love with the elusive Jingo-Kogo. It is better to have loved and not be able to obtain more than never to have loved at all.

I thought J-K would be my holy grail, but I had. No. Idea. How MUCH I would love it.

In the bottle: Light yellow oil. Sandalwood, vanilla, mandarin/tangerine, light florals. Delicate, airy.

Wet: Same. Very soft, lightly sweet. It's not foody, and it's not really sweet - it's more sweet the way that really good musks can be sweet. There's an almost fluffy sugar note that makes me think of marshmallows. Almost foody - maybe vanilla flower?

Dry: Very slow to dry. Sweetens a little with time, and becomes noticeably more creamy. I'd almost say there is a cream note, but I think it's just the musk, florals, and sandalwood that impart a creamy feel. At this stage I'm reminded a lot of Vasakasajja. The sandalwood gives it warmth but is all fragrant in a clean/traditional perfumey way.

Later: It's becoming quite musky, but in a very feminine way - I agree with the vanilla musk ID. Most of the mandarin has worn off. Definitely some rice flower - getting a Tanamo-no-ae vibe. Some light amber wouldn't surprise me, but this does not go at all powdery or dusty on me. Sooooo musky on drydown. But, the vanilla (which is very light, and very creamy) - like vanilla ice cream, but not cold - so maybe vanilla custard? But not quite that foody.

Summary: Soft but rich florals (rice flower, maybe orchid), sweet, creamy vanilla, fragrant sandalwood and loads of gorgeous musk. Really strong throw and longevity (like, 2 days!) but still delicate in feel somehow.

I overhauled my reviews because I have worn this a few times since and compared it to other scents. I initially liked it but didn't think it was my thing, and then further testing (and wearing it to bed, which was heavenly soothing and blissful) made me realise I absolutely adore this. It is a classic vanilla/sandalwood/musk scent that is clean, feminine, and delightfully wafty. I don't have any scents that remotely fill this niche, as I don't like either Glowing Vulva (which is sweet/cloying/strongly teaky) or Underpants (also sweet/cloying, as well as overly foody and a little sharp from the saffron), and I don't really see the comparisons much. This is not like any other BPAL scent I've tried, and I agree with schackj that it can't possibly be unreleased because it needs work, because it is utter perfection as is (though, it would be even better if the orange citrus note held - but I've yet to find any orange citrus note that holds in BPAL).

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to try this, Tigrrrlily! :)

Edited by fairnymph

First, I got frimped a testable sniffie of this from the lovely Persephone76. I've already told her that I'm not sure whether to hug her or hit her. (I'm kind of leaning toward the latter, since she also got me hooked on Black Lace.)

In the imp: Citrusy-vanilla. Tangy, but sweet. Something in it is reminiscent of Underpants, but doesn't actually smell like it (if that makes any sense). I'm wary already. Please hate me. Please hate me.

Wet: Oh god, it likes me. It really likes me. It's orange sandalwood with a rich vanilla, but the whole scent is very light. Fluffy, almost. Like orange Underpants froth. Stays wet for a good while, and wavers between flighty citrus sweetness and creamy wood.

Dry: So it doesn't like me. It loves me. I smell like a creamsicle that has melted all over its sandalwood stick, and it is gorgeous. Heavenly.

Why? Whyyyy?

I was worried about this one, as folks were saying it smells like orange creamsicles, and I don't like foody or orangey smells. And it does indeed smell like orange creamsicles, but that's okay, cause OHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM...it smells like the sexiest damn orange creamsicles EVER. I did not think that one could combine sex and orange creamsicles, but holy crap Beth did. It's just so goddamn Nomable. And its a powerful scent too. It's like, Tori Amos fellating an orange creamsicle while having a orgasm as she rides Trent Reznor, or some other crazy sexy dangerous thing like that.

It's just wonderful.

*sniffs arm*

It's amazing.

*sniffs again*

It's fucking awesome-gelato with a side of win-sprinkles.

*sniffs, pauses, then quickly sniffs again*

It is the paramount of...of..

*sniffs slowly*

*stares at arm*

...of...the thing..is...uuhhhh...

*sniffs cautiously, unsure*

...uumm..uhhh..wuhhh....

*sniffs again, a look of hopeless hopelessness spreading across her face*

*mouth agape*

*eyes unfocused*

...oh gods...oh sweet merciful Zombie Jesus...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*face cracks into the picture of religious despair*

*falls to her knees*

NOOO!

*bangs fist on ground*

NO! NO! NO! FUCK NO! IT"S NOT FAIR!!

*wails tormentedly*

IT TURNED! IT TURNED ON MY SKIN! IT TURNED LIKE BENEDICT ARNOLD! IT TURNED ROUND, RIGHT ROUND, LIKE A RECORD, BABY!! IT TURNED HORRIBLY SO HORRIBLY!

*bites lip*

*casts eyes down towards the hell she is now in*

*gasps for air*

...*gasp*...it smells...it smells like...

*squeezes eyes shut*

*takes deep breath*

IT SMELLS LIKE BEEF!

WAAHHHHH-HHAHAAA!!!

*rends garments*

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!!

*pulls hair*

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFF!!!!

*ululates wildly*

jingokocow.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*collapses, bemoaning her fate*

*lays on the ground, unable to support herself under the weight of her despair*

*crawls on her belly over to the Tree of Despair*

despair.jpg

..........beeeeeef!

Edited by persianmouse

After all the fuss about Jingo-Kogo, I was quite excited to finally get to try it.

Meh.

It's quite soft, reminding me a lot of a toned-down Haloes (which was just kind of okay on me). A little soapy, a little sweet. Really, nothing to write home about, in my opinion.

So, I'm thorougly underwhelmed, and quite a bit relieved to have dodged a bullet, again. Seems like the most popular scents just don't do it for me.

I was gifted with a sniffie of this, and I can't make up my mind on it.

One of the one hand is smells almost exactly like Yankee Candle's Vanilla Sandalwood candle line, which I like quite a bit. On the other hand this blend - and possibly because it was a prototype so all the bugs haven't been worked out - this smells a little too department-store-perfume to m, at least for the greater portion of the drydown.

Once this gets through the drydown and is actually dry on my skin, the common perfume portion seems to vanish and this gets much more creamy and sexy and not as in-your-face. I like it, I think I'll keep an eye out for it, but this doesn't have to be my End All, Be All scent. (Phew!)

I was afraid of falling in love with Jingo-Kogo, because it seems to be so popular. This is really just an okay scent on me, though. It starts off with a soft, floral orange smell, perfumey musk, and a creamy, powdery vanilla smell. It goes more powdery in the drydown and makes me think of sandalwood's powdery smoothness. Baby powder, not-so-sweet, creamy vanilla, and a bit of musky orange.

This is a very light scent on me. It strikes me as being innocent and pretty rather than sexy. I don't see myself trying to search out more of this, but I might try it again if it were ever reformulated & released as a GC.

I don't normally do reviews, as I suck at picking out notes, especially when they're not listed. :P But a generous BPALer sent me a testable sniffy of this, and asked me to review it. So here goes:

In vial: Skin musk and lemon?

On me: I get a soft, powdery skin musk with a shot of something sweet -- I dunno if that's the musk itself, or something else, but it's almost sugary. Maybe a touch of lemon? Or orange, I think. Something citrus. This is very soft and pretty and feminine.

Later: In the dry-down, I get a hint of something woodsy -- maybe sandalwood? I hope this gets released at some point, because I would love a bottle or nine to hoard have!

Ah, I am lucky! Wet and for quite a while, this a sour, reddish (?) sandalwood with a background of not-fake creaminess and a hint of sweetness, though I wouldn't call this foody. The sourness lingers long and reminds me of the scent of my little brother's dirtied cloth diapers from decades ago and spoils this for me. I think that sourness is incongrous, no matter whether one associates it with diapers. SO I am saved long, financially painful searches for this rarity. Take the sour note out and it would be ray-of-light-and-angels-singing-worthy.

Thanks for letting us try these, Gypsy Rose Red! :D

This is REALLY nice...hyped up rare scents rarely live up to the hype, but this does. Before I even read the other reviews, I thought it smelled like a slightly aquatic Eastern-influenced incense scent (ooh, probably a Shunga prototype! Good call...). With a nice, smooth vanilla accompanying it! It's pretty in the imp, but it's one of those scents that hits your skin and just becomes a part of you. Definitely a sexy, spicy evening scent. So sad that it wasn't part of the Shunga line-up! Maybe next year? ;)

In the imp: Fruity citrus creamy soap.

Fresh on the skin: Citrus-cream with a sort of fresh soap-wood base.

10 minutes later: Not terrible, but almost doing that ick that food and wood together tend to go on me. But light. Not bad. Still that bit of citrus cream. Just. Tainted. And very close to the skin.

30 minutes later: Huh. This has become something soft and pretty, a complex, delicate vanilla. I'm surprised, I expected to dislike this, but really it's quite nice. A little soapy and definitely powdery, but. Nice.

1.5 minutes later: Warm, soft vanilla, not too sweet. Fine, but not inspiring.

2 hours later: Sandalwoody. Fuzzy with fading vanilla.

3 hours later: This is pretty, if not really me. A little... antique. In both the good and bad ways.

5 hours later: Light vanilla musk, not too sweet indeed. Nice.

Verdict: Meh. Okay, but not for me, quite.

One phrase: Soft vanilla.

Oh this is gorgeous! Sweet, slightly fruity, touch of resins, oooh wait, it’s amber. This smells like Glowing Vulva! As it dries, the GV similarity is growing strong and stronger.

This is simply gorgeous! Amber, vanilla, cream. I think this is GV’s prototype. It smells just about the same. I think that GV may be a touch richer and a touch more cloying, but other than that, they smell exactly the same.

Thank you GypsyRoseRed for the opportunity to try this. Wow – I am in love!